HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Will the Jets be competitive with the Oilers and Leafs?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2017, 08:19 PM
  #51
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,242
vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shakehead View Post
One of my favorite bloopers from last year was when McDavid was breaking of his own end below the blue line carrying the puck and Stuart was defending him at our red line. Stu knew he couldn't skate backwards fast enough to keep pace, so he turned around and just started skating forwards back to our end with everything he had.

Stu never actually got enough space to turn back around to defend, he just ran into our goalpost. It was glorious. I wish I had the video.
As someone who quit hockey at like, 10, and then picked it up as a rec sport as an adult, I feel his pain.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 08:37 PM
  #52
raideralex99
Go Jets Go
 
raideralex99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: West Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 915
vCash: 305
Seriously Leafs got lucky last year with the loser point ... Tampa and the Islanders had more wins than the Leafs. The Jets have more talent than the Leafs but the Leafs have a coach and the Jets don't that's the problem.

raideralex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 08:44 PM
  #53
JetsUK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raideralex99 View Post
Seriously Leafs got lucky last year with the loser point ... Tampa and the Islanders had more wins than the Leafs. The Jets have more talent than the Leafs but the Leafs have a coach and the Jets don't that's the problem.
Not luck at all. Careful study of the Shanaplan ("Addendum 4C: Riding the Loser Point to a 1st-round Playoff Exit") reveals that last year's Leafs team devoted entire strategy sessions to taking more games to overtime than any team had done before. This ruthless attention to detail is why they will win Cup after Cup, while the Jets, stuck in the Olde Ways, flounder around trying to score more goals than their opponents, while letting fewer in.

JetsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 09:00 PM
  #54
gnp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Jets Have the Most Talent and Depth ( 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I would like to get some opinions on how others feel about the prospects of Winnipeg being able to compete against Edmonton and Toronto at winning the Stanley Cup sometime in the near future. Do we have a realistic chance?

Whenever I look through the threads in the National Hockey League Talk section of HFBoards it seems like there's so much talk of Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers as well as Auston Matthews and the Toronto Maple Leafs. I get the impression that the dominant viewpoint is that the future belongs to Edmonton and Toronto as 1A and 1B as far as being the best teams in the league. I seldom see Winnipeg getting any kind of recognition compared to those 2 teams.

Is it only those of us in Winnipeg (and Jets fans elsewhere) that actually think we have good prospects at challenging for the top prize in the future? Do McDavid and Matthews put those 2 teams in a league of their own? Are they really that superior? I know that McDavid is considered the new Gretzky and fans in Edmonton have visions of winning the Stanley Cup for the next 10 to 15 years while forgetting that the Oilers missed the playoffs for 10 years straight. It also seems like fans in Toronto now consider the Leafs to be on par with McDavid and the Oilers since drafting Matthews.

Is it possible that we are only deluding ourselves in thinking that we will have an equally good team as them? Are we destined to relive the Gretzky dynasty years through McDavid with Laine being our Hawerchuk where we always fall short while they celebrate championships? I have to admit that I felt much better about the Jets prospects before McDavid fell into the Oilers lap and the Leafs got new management which hired Mike Babcock and then drafted Auston Matthews.

Thoughts anyone?




I think we have the best team with the "greatest potential" in comparison to the Oilers and Leafs. Let's consider what the Oilers have for "great" scoring talent- they have McDavid and Draitsaital. Let's estimate their scoring potential in their prime:

McDavid- say he scores---- 150 points ( that would be tops)

Draitsaital- say he scores- 100 points ( more likely 80- 90 points)

Other Guys ----------------- 120
_______

Total scoring---------------- 370 points ( from their big guns-added "misc guys")


Now let's look at the Jets:

Laine- say he scores 120 points ( realistic in his prime)

Ehlers- say he scores 110 points ( in his prime)

Scheiffle - say scores 100 points ( very realistic)

Kyle Connor- he scores 90 points ( he may get more)

Wheeler - say he scores 80 points ( pretty reliable)
__________

The Jets "big guns" score 500 points --for the Jets ( realistic)
( w/o MP and Little ??)

Because the Jets have a lot more guys that can score a lot of points, we are more balanced, and way more of an offensive threat- there is no doubt about this in my mind !!! The Jet's are far superior on the offensive side of the game. The question will be-"can Maurice" or any future coach we hire-"coach these guys" and bring some discipline to the team ( penalties etc) and instill a championship attitude. This is the critical thing here ??? Our GM Chevy has shown he's second to "none" in recognizing talent, and building a team. ( better than the Oilers, who have not picked near as well as us> Nale Yakupov, Taylor Hall, and other picks of theirs, have just not turned out-yet they had a lot of "overall"-first picks. In summary- we have way more balance and depth, than the 2 players Edmonton has- " we have way more."

Let us look at the 85 Oilers team- voted as the best ever, and I agree. What made them so good. Well, first of all they had Gretzky who could score 180 points to 220 points a year - ( all time best point producer) -and I don't think McDavid will come close. Gretzky a once in a lifetime type of player !!! So let's see how that team-"with 6 Hall of Fame" guys would score in their prime:

Gretzky-( being conservative) 180 points ( per year- unbelevable)
Mark Messier 120 points ( 3-rd all time-was 2nd)
Yarri Kurri 110 points ( great scorer for Gretz)
Glenn Anderson 100 points ( great charging winger)
Paul Coffee 70 points ( hi scoring defenceman)
__________

Oilers were scoring 580 points ( scored many seasons )

NOTE- This great team only scored 80 more points than us, and I left out guys like Little, and Perrault. The "current" Oiler team is nowhere close to that 1985 all star Oiler Team- "not even close"

Now also remeber all these 5 Oilers above, plus Goalie Grant Furh were all Hall of Famers-"no wonder the old Jet's could not win against this dynasty of a team-"to much potent scoring." The only team that beat them was the Calgary Flames-who had a brilliant coach in Badger Bob Johnson-"he was a very smart man", and was able to overcome this Oiler team- but he died at a very young age, while coaching. So bear in mind-that OILER team -had 6 HALL OF FAME players, whereas the old Jets only had one-Dale Hawerchuk. (Maybe Selanne in future)
So, scoring is about 70 % of the game here, and if you look at my scoring projections up above, that are "realistic", we have a way more powerful scoring potential than either the Oilers or Leafs- I have no doubt about this at all. This is why I was pushing so hard for a Goalie, and we finally have a good solid one in Mason-"I know he's very good"
All the Oilers have is McDavid-a "one man show"-not good enough !!!

Also there is defence- and I think our defence is superior - way better than the Oilers or Leafs. Bufflyn, Trouba, Morrissey will all be able to score, and we have a well rounded defence. I don't believe Toronto Or Edmonton have a scoring defenceman, that's even close to Buff in points last year.

Goaltending- we have just "fixed" this hole, and you will see such a huge difference this year with Mason, if he stays healthy, and just lifts his game up a "little" from last year. He's certainly as good, as Edmonton's goalie Talbot, who looks very solid as well. I'd say we're about even in that department. There are other teams, a little better, however Toronto also has a good Goalie as well-we're tied here !!!

Coaching-Well here we go !!! Can Maurice instill discipline in guys like Buff, Enstrom and some others ??? So far hew has shown that he can't control his players, and they don't respect or fear him enough to do as he tells them- "this is critical" The NHL is a world league now, and you can't expect to win playing "short handed"-"no way"

Also can Maurice instill the Championship type attitude you need, and set the goals as only the "Stanley Cup" will be acceptable, and nothing less. I think Maurice also has to grow here as a coach- step on some toes ( won't be popular) and take command so the players will play all out for him on a consistent basis ??? A talented coach always get's the very most out of his players-can we say Maurice has shown that ability-answer-"not so far" He's basically been a 500 coach, and if he doesn't make a deep playoff run "this year"-should be out the door for Paul Maurice-even though I like his personality. ( this is business) Also can Maurice technically utilize "all this talent" and shape the lines etc, that will create the best results.

Example of a "genius" coach- Bill Billichek-New England Patriots-NFL>wins Super Bowls like crazy, and loses key players every year, but he has systems, and if you don't follow-"your gone"- He's the "boss"- does Paul Maurice have the personal presence, and all the character traits needed to bring a team multiple championships ??? right now "no"- but maybe he'll grow into it-"this will be a telling year.

My comparison of talent between the Oilers, Toronto, and the Jets

Final Summation :

1) Scoring----- Jets ( "by far" see my projections above)

2) Defence----- Jets ( Jets have moe firepower from the blueline
and is why they need Trouba ( not break bank)

3) Goaltending-- Toronto- "right now"- but it's very close with Mason,
and also Talbot.

4) Coaching---- Toronto ( If Maurice can't handle the team-"get a coach"

5) Management--- Jets and Toronto- both recruiting "great talent"

My summation is the Jet's have the most talented club in the NHL when it comes to scoring. If Kyle Connor turns out to be a 80- 100 points scorer-"like I think"- there is no doubt the Jets are far ahead of Toronto, or Edmonton. ( Mc David can't do it by himself) as also shown that Crosby "alone" cannot do it-"you need a whole team" and a coach that can inspire and control a team to put out their very best
on a consistent basis. I should point out tho- our young guys are still growing and developing. This year 45-55 points for Connor is likely.

Winner is- The Jets right now, have the best and most promising roster- it's only a question of the Coach-"can he handle the Job" and this will be the telling year- we will see ??? I'd love Maurice to take the reigns and push these guys !!!- does he have it in him???

Sorry for the long winded oratory guys- but I think as a life long Winnipeger-"we should never sell ourselves short"- we have the horses right now-"to go all the way"-and bring home the Cup

PS- I have nothing better to do with my life, than to write on HF Boards, and give the Jet's free advice


Last edited by gnp: 07-03-2017 at 09:33 PM.
gnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 10:27 AM
  #55
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,108
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Dallas is still bad defensively.
Are they really? Oleksiak is a black hole but Methot pushes him down to #8. A little continued improvement from Klingberg and Lindell and I don't think they are that bad. With a better goalie behind them they probably play a little better too.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 11:11 AM
  #56
DRW204
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Are they really? Oleksiak is a black hole but Methot pushes him down to #8. A little continued improvement from Klingberg and Lindell and I don't think they are that bad. With a better goalie behind them they probably play a little better too.
+ Hitchcock as well. Dallas made some good moves this offseason along with a great draft imo

DRW204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 11:20 AM
  #57
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,875
vCash: 500
I think the Jets now have the talent all over their roster to compete with the best in the league. It remains to be seen whether we have the coaching to mold it into a consistent cohesive team. We will see what Maurice has in him this season.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 11:55 AM
  #58
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,108
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW204 View Post
+ Hitchcock as well. Dallas made some good moves this offseason along with a great draft imo
Yup. I think Dallas is back in the conversation to win the Div. Meanwhile I think Hawks have fallen out of that conversation. It is Dallas and Nashville. I think we can join them if Maurice can get his thumb head out of his ***.

Really uncertain about Mo right now. Some of his strange roster decisions may have been more about developing young players than trying to win a particular game. If so we should see better decisions this year. Time will tell. This is probably the most talented and deepest roster he has ever had to work with. I think we will know if he has the right stuff by 20 games in. If so we are competing for a seeded playoff spot, not a wild card.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 01:30 PM
  #59
DRW204
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Yup. I think Dallas is back in the conversation to win the Div. Meanwhile I think Hawks have fallen out of that conversation. It is Dallas and Nashville. I think we can join them if Maurice can get his thumb head out of his ***.

Really uncertain about Mo right now. Some of his strange roster decisions may have been more about developing young players than trying to win a particular game. If so we should see better decisions this year. Time will tell. This is probably the most talented and deepest roster he has ever had to work with. I think we will know if he has the right stuff by 20 games in. If so we are competing for a seeded playoff spot, not a wild card.
What about STL? Full year under Yeo, adding Schenn and addition by subtraction with Lehtera. They have some young guys who they believe will be making an impact too (Dunn, Barbashev and Kyrou)

DRW204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 06:14 PM
  #60
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,108
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW204 View Post
What about STL? Full year under Yeo, adding Schenn and addition by subtraction with Lehtera. They have some young guys who they believe will be making an impact too (Dunn, Barbashev and Kyrou)
I think Yeo got the new coach bounce last year. Reality will set in this year. They'll miss Shatty

and Reaves.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 07:22 PM
  #61
DowntownBooster
Registered User
 
DowntownBooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
I think we have the best team with the "greatest potential" in comparison to the Oilers and Leafs. Let's consider what the Oilers have for "great" scoring talent- they have McDavid and Draitsaital. Let's estimate their scoring potential in their prime:

McDavid- say he scores---- 150 points ( that would be tops)

Draitsaital- say he scores- 100 points ( more likely 80- 90 points)

Other Guys ----------------- 120
_______

Total scoring---------------- 370 points ( from their big guns-added "misc guys")


Now let's look at the Jets:

Laine- say he scores 120 points ( realistic in his prime)

Ehlers- say he scores 110 points ( in his prime)

Scheiffle - say scores 100 points ( very realistic)

Kyle Connor- he scores 90 points ( he may get more)

Wheeler - say he scores 80 points ( pretty reliable)
__________

The Jets "big guns" score 500 points --for the Jets ( realistic)
( w/o MP and Little ??)

Because the Jets have a lot more guys that can score a lot of points, we are more balanced, and way more of an offensive threat- there is no doubt about this in my mind !!! The Jet's are far superior on the offensive side of the game. The question will be-"can Maurice" or any future coach we hire-"coach these guys" and bring some discipline to the team ( penalties etc) and instill a championship attitude. This is the critical thing here ??? Our GM Chevy has shown he's second to "none" in recognizing talent, and building a team. ( better than the Oilers, who have not picked near as well as us> Nale Yakupov, Taylor Hall, and other picks of theirs, have just not turned out-yet they had a lot of "overall"-first picks. In summary- we have way more balance and depth, than the 2 players Edmonton has- " we have way more."

Let us look at the 85 Oilers team- voted as the best ever, and I agree. What made them so good. Well, first of all they had Gretzky who could score 180 points to 220 points a year - ( all time best point producer) -and I don't think McDavid will come close. Gretzky a once in a lifetime type of player !!! So let's see how that team-"with 6 Hall of Fame" guys would score in their prime:

Gretzky-( being conservative) 180 points ( per year- unbelevable)
Mark Messier 120 points ( 3-rd all time-was 2nd)
Yarri Kurri 110 points ( great scorer for Gretz)
Glenn Anderson 100 points ( great charging winger)
Paul Coffee 70 points ( hi scoring defenceman)
__________

Oilers were scoring 580 points ( scored many seasons )

NOTE- This great team only scored 80 more points than us, and I left out guys like Little, and Perrault. The "current" Oiler team is nowhere close to that 1985 all star Oiler Team- "not even close"

Now also remeber all these 5 Oilers above, plus Goalie Grant Furh were all Hall of Famers-"no wonder the old Jet's could not win against this dynasty of a team-"to much potent scoring." The only team that beat them was the Calgary Flames-who had a brilliant coach in Badger Bob Johnson-"he was a very smart man", and was able to overcome this Oiler team- but he died at a very young age, while coaching. So bear in mind-that OILER team -had 6 HALL OF FAME players, whereas the old Jets only had one-Dale Hawerchuk. (Maybe Selanne in future)
So, scoring is about 70 % of the game here, and if you look at my scoring projections up above, that are "realistic", we have a way more powerful scoring potential than either the Oilers or Leafs- I have no doubt about this at all. This is why I was pushing so hard for a Goalie, and we finally have a good solid one in Mason-"I know he's very good"
All the Oilers have is McDavid-a "one man show"-not good enough !!!

Also there is defence- and I think our defence is superior - way better than the Oilers or Leafs. Bufflyn, Trouba, Morrissey will all be able to score, and we have a well rounded defence. I don't believe Toronto Or Edmonton have a scoring defenceman, that's even close to Buff in points last year.

Goaltending- we have just "fixed" this hole, and you will see such a huge difference this year with Mason, if he stays healthy, and just lifts his game up a "little" from last year. He's certainly as good, as Edmonton's goalie Talbot, who looks very solid as well. I'd say we're about even in that department. There are other teams, a little better, however Toronto also has a good Goalie as well-we're tied here !!!

Coaching-Well here we go !!! Can Maurice instill discipline in guys like Buff, Enstrom and some others ??? So far hew has shown that he can't control his players, and they don't respect or fear him enough to do as he tells them- "this is critical" The NHL is a world league now, and you can't expect to win playing "short handed"-"no way"

Also can Maurice instill the Championship type attitude you need, and set the goals as only the "Stanley Cup" will be acceptable, and nothing less. I think Maurice also has to grow here as a coach- step on some toes ( won't be popular) and take command so the players will play all out for him on a consistent basis ??? A talented coach always get's the very most out of his players-can we say Maurice has shown that ability-answer-"not so far" He's basically been a 500 coach, and if he doesn't make a deep playoff run "this year"-should be out the door for Paul Maurice-even though I like his personality. ( this is business) Also can Maurice technically utilize "all this talent" and shape the lines etc, that will create the best results.

Example of a "genius" coach- Bill Billichek-New England Patriots-NFL>wins Super Bowls like crazy, and loses key players every year, but he has systems, and if you don't follow-"your gone"- He's the "boss"- does Paul Maurice have the personal presence, and all the character traits needed to bring a team multiple championships ??? right now "no"- but maybe he'll grow into it-"this will be a telling year.

My comparison of talent between the Oilers, Toronto, and the Jets

Final Summation :

1) Scoring----- Jets ( "by far" see my projections above)

2) Defence----- Jets ( Jets have moe firepower from the blueline
and is why they need Trouba ( not break bank)

3) Goaltending-- Toronto- "right now"- but it's very close with Mason,
and also Talbot.

4) Coaching---- Toronto ( If Maurice can't handle the team-"get a coach"

5) Management--- Jets and Toronto- both recruiting "great talent"

My summation is the Jet's have the most talented club in the NHL when it comes to scoring. If Kyle Connor turns out to be a 80- 100 points scorer-"like I think"- there is no doubt the Jets are far ahead of Toronto, or Edmonton. ( Mc David can't do it by himself) as also shown that Crosby "alone" cannot do it-"you need a whole team" and a coach that can inspire and control a team to put out their very best
on a consistent basis. I should point out tho- our young guys are still growing and developing. This year 45-55 points for Connor is likely.

Winner is- The Jets right now, have the best and most promising roster- it's only a question of the Coach-"can he handle the Job" and this will be the telling year- we will see ??? I'd love Maurice to take the reigns and push these guys !!!- does he have it in him???

Sorry for the long winded oratory guys- but I think as a life long Winnipeger-"we should never sell ourselves short"- we have the horses right now-"to go all the way"-and bring home the Cup

PS- I have nothing better to do with my life, than to write on HF Boards, and give the Jet's free advice
A very detailed analysis! Thanks for all the info and comments in your summary. It's well thought out with many good points! There are also a lot of good points made by other posters in this thread. I know that some comments have been made that there are other good teams as well and I definitely agree. I guess my focus was on Edmonton and Toronto because they had a very quick turnaround on a path to becoming contenders with the acquisitions of McDavid and Matthews through the draft. For a while before that it looked like our prospects for developing into a team that could legitimately contend for the Stanley Cup were much better than either Edmonton or Toronto. However, suddenly it seems like both of them are the focal point of the media which seems to insinuate they are the 2 teams to watch now. After reading the various posts in this thread I am a little more confident in what we have here in Winnipeg!


DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 07:42 PM
  #62
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,670
vCash: 50
We are getting heavily underrated on the main boards.
Most people have us as the 2nd worst to worst Canadian team and many others have us as 2nd last to last in the central.

I kind of like it though. We are the dark horse now.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 08:11 PM
  #63
Jimby
Reformed Optimist
 
Jimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 742
vCash: 168
Oilers played the fewest back to backs in the league last year and their contributing players were pretty much injury free. Jets were the opposite. I see that reverting to the mean this season. Oilers don't have much for depth. Yes, Jets should be competitive or better than the Oilers. I think they will be competitive with the Leafs as well.

Jimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 08:20 PM
  #64
Dayofthedogs
Registered User
 
Dayofthedogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
Yes. The single biggest factor and I don't think it can be understated is this,

scheifele's contract

In my opinion over the next 7 years this is going to be the single biggest factor in the Jets success . We have a elite offensive center locked up for a redicululous 6.2 or whatever. McDavid will get paid and so will Mathews. Laine will be under those 2 and maybe under McDavid by a stretch. Center VS Wing will have an effect as well.

This also hinges on locking up Trouba long term.

Chef @ 6.2 Laine @ 9 Trouba @ 8 = 23.2

McDavid @ 13.5 German guy @ 9 = 22.5

Mathews @ 12 blonde kid 1 @ 6.5 blonde kid 2 @ 6.5 = 25

The jets are simply going to be able to afford more top end talent to surround the superstar talent.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 08:38 PM
  #65
Eyeseeing
Registered User
 
Eyeseeing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
We are getting heavily underrated on the main boards.
Most people have us as the 2nd worst to worst Canadian team and many others have us as 2nd last to last in the central.

I kind of like it though. We are the dark horse now.
The Toronto posters are the worst for under estimating the Jets
Toronto is my second team but the minority of their posters are really delusional on where they believe they stack up.
I see us and Toronto finishing with similar points

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 09:25 PM
  #66
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,242
vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post
Yes. The single biggest factor and I don't think it can be understated is this,

scheifele's contract

In my opinion over the next 7 years this is going to be the single biggest factor in the Jets success . We have a elite offensive center locked up for a redicululous 6.2 or whatever. McDavid will get paid and so will Mathews. Laine will be under those 2 and maybe under McDavid by a stretch. Center VS Wing will have an effect as well.

This also hinges on locking up Trouba long term.

Chef @ 6.2 Laine @ 9 Trouba @ 8 = 23.2

McDavid @ 13.5 German guy @ 9 = 22.5

Mathews @ 12 blonde kid 1 @ 6.5 blonde kid 2 @ 6.5 = 25

The jets are simply going to be able to afford more top end talent to surround the superstar talent.
Classic

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 09:58 PM
  #67
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 27,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
The Toronto posters are the worst for under estimating the Jets
Toronto is my second team but the minority of their posters are really delusional on where they believe they stack up.
I see us and Toronto finishing with similar points
If the Leafs run into any significant injuries, they could sink fast, especially if one of their top 2-3 D are out for any time. I'm also not sold on their 2nd goalie. They have a good forward line-up, but are thin on D.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 10:38 PM
  #68
Saintb
Registered User
 
Saintb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Saintb
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
The Toronto posters are the worst for under estimating the Jets
Toronto is my second team but the minority of their posters are really delusional on where they believe they stack up.
I see us and Toronto finishing with similar points
we deserve to be rated poorly. we haven't done anything.

Saintb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 03:49 PM
  #69
aqsw
PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,574
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
The Toronto posters are the worst for under estimating the Jets
Toronto is my second team but the minority of their posters are really delusional on where they believe they stack up.
I see us and Toronto finishing with similar points
I would love to switch divisions with the leafs, and read the excuses!!

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 04:00 PM
  #70
ps241
.915 please Steve
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 21,464
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintb View Post
we deserve to be rated poorly. we haven't done anything.
Agreed but both the Leafs and Oilers were a joke at this time last year. Things change fast and bandwagons fill up, false narratives get created, and overrating kills off the underrating.

I like our chances of joining the club of the young sexy overrated cool kids by this time next year.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 06:10 PM
  #71
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,374
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I like our chances of joining the club of the young sexy overrated cool kids by this time next year.
I'm not even sure what that'll feel like, but I think it'll be fun?

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 11:05 PM
  #72
truck
Registered User
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
I think we have the best team with the "greatest potential" in comparison to the Oilers and Leafs. Let's consider what the Oilers have for "great" scoring talent- they have McDavid and Draitsaital. Let's estimate their scoring potential in their prime:

McDavid- say he scores---- 150 points ( that would be tops)

Draitsaital- say he scores- 100 points ( more likely 80- 90 points)

Other Guys ----------------- 120
_______

Total scoring---------------- 370 points ( from their big guns-added "misc guys")


Now let's look at the Jets:

Laine- say he scores 120 points ( realistic in his prime)

Ehlers- say he scores 110 points ( in his prime)

Scheiffle - say scores 100 points ( very realistic)

Kyle Connor- he scores 90 points ( he may get more)

Wheeler - say he scores 80 points ( pretty reliable)
__________

The Jets "big guns" score 500 points --for the Jets ( realistic)
( w/o MP and Little ??)
This is not remotely realistic in today's NHL. There mmay not be three 100 point players in the league from year to year.

The Penguins led the league with 282 goals this year. They have two generation centres. They had zero players over 100 points.
Crosby has topped 100 points 5 times in his career.
Malkin has topped 100 points 3 times in his career.

The likelihood of the Jets having three 100 point scorers in a single year is pretty low.

Not to mention that Wheeler will slow down before Connor hit his prime.

The Jets do have some elite talent. Lots of it, but the ballparks above are way to high.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 02:01 AM
  #73
winnipegger
Registered User
 
winnipegger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,079
vCash: 353
Agree with Paul Wiecek on this one. Mason is a bit of a gamble and goaltending could blow up in the team's face again.

"The numbers tell the tale. Hellebuyck and his .907 save percentage were not nearly good enough last season and it cost the Jets a playoff berth as far as I'm concerned.

So Chevy goes out last weekend and signs a guy who had a .908 save percentage last season? I don't see how that solves the problem.

Mason is a decent backup goalie — and light years better than Hutchinson. But the Jets need a competent, consistent starting goalie if all this young talent is going to have a chance to shine next season. And they still don't have one, in my opinion.
"

winnipegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 02:16 AM
  #74
Scheifele55
Registered User
 
Scheifele55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 663
vCash: 500
In my opinion, the Toronto Maple Leafs are not as good as the Winnipeg Jets. Perreault, Little, Myers were injured for so long which took them down. Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler are and I feel will always be better than Toronto's top 4 of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Van Riemsdyk/Kadri. After McDavid and Draisaitl, the Oilers are a mediocre team. If McDavid goes down for a long time the team would take a big hit. If Draisaitl were to go down alongside him the team would be screwed.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 03:32 AM
  #75
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,374
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegger View Post
[Wiecek quote] "But the Jets need a competent, consistent starting goalie if all this young talent is going to have a chance to shine next season. And they still don't have one, in my opinion."
I can understand why he'd say that when he's picking/choosing statistics and chopping Mason's sample-size to support his claims.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.