HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the Jets be competitive with the Oilers and Leafs?

Old
07-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFromAIH View Post
Nope.
He already did once lol

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
He already did once lol
Coached the Canes to the Finals, too.

I have a lot of concerns about Maurice's coaching, and I hope he can adapt to a more skilled line-up.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 05:08 PM
NYCFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
But Mason isn't unproven. It's lazy, sloppy reporting. Over the past 4 years, Mason has performed as a good starter, an elite starter, a good starter, and a below average starter.

Wiecek appears to have looked at Mason's last season and nothing else, then called it quits. It is lazy, sloppy reporting. Again, it is the same level of research and thought process that went into numerous hastily and angrily scribbled Facebook and Twitter messages when Mason was signed. I expect nothing more from random people on Twitter and Facebook. I believe I should expect more from a reporter.
Mason is an excellent goalie. Our coach had no idea how to use goalies, we fired his close friend and goalie coach and had a bottom 5 defense. That being said Mason is a bit of a whiney blamer and appeared to be not well liked at all by the organization. He will definitely help. As a neutral observer I'm shocked given the talent of the team and the dismal performance over several years that PM is still there. I guarantee if the Jets and Leafs changed coaches the results would also reverse. That being said, I think your D is overrated and should be overhauled prior to a Cup run.

NYCFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 05:08 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Coached the Canes to the Finals, too.

I have a lot of concerns about Maurice's coaching, and I hope he can adapt to a more skilled line-up.
I'm hoping that last year wasn't just a learning experience for the players but for him as well. I hope he has a better idea on what to do with this roster and what not to do. Thankfully it doesn't look like Chevy will provide him with the veteran players he tended to use as a crutch in past seasons. He's really going to have no choice but to use some players he may not be comfortable with.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Mbraunm

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I'm hoping that last year wasn't just a learning experience for the players but for him as well. I hope he has a better idea on what to do with this roster and what not to do. Thankfully it doesn't look like Chevy will provide him with the veteran players he tended to use as a crutch in past seasons. He's really going to have no choice but to use some players he may not be comfortable with.
Honestly, it would be pretty difficult for any half decent coach to screw up with this lineup!

Mbraunm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Crocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffman View Post
Jets perform extremely well when they are playing a rough, mean game. I remember us knocking several players out in a row when we were rocking. I am not afraid of those types of games.
I am. We could've lost Laine for the season, we lost Trouba when he got beat up and I remember several times Scheif getting run, knee on knee, head shots etc. Enstrom gets run a lot. We have nobody to calm everyone down. Buffalo beat as after they ran Laine, Toronto out muscled us in the last game we played them, Martin fought Buff. Playoffs, we get waxed if we don't toughen up.

Crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 06:05 PM
boanst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocket View Post
I am. We could've lost Laine for the season, we lost Trouba when he got beat up and I remember several times Scheif getting run, knee on knee, head shots etc. Enstrom gets run a lot. We have nobody to calm everyone down. Buffalo beat as after they ran Laine, Toronto out muscled us in the last game we played them, Martin fought Buff. Playoffs, we get waxed if we don't toughen up.
Your advice would make this team weaker, not stronger. Scheif and Enstrom were ran at a lot when we were a playoff team and considered the toughest team in the league, that didnt prevent anything. Trouba fought big bad Sam Bennett, maybe Thorbs shoulda fought him instead? Laine got caught with his head down on an iffy pass through the middle that was bang bang. I guess Peluso's presence would have prevented an instinctive play from happening.

In case you didnt know, hockey games are won by the team that scores more goals, not the one that is the toughest.

boanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 06:15 PM
DashingDane

vCash: 309
We better be competitive with the Leafs at least! Just made an avatar bet with a Leaf fan saying Chef, Laine and Ehls combines for more points than Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Go Jets Go!

DashingDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 06:24 PM
EpicGingy

vCash: 2192
Quote:
I'm sure some nobody face puncher would have stopped Scheifele from giving Laine a suicide pass or solved our abmyssal defence during that second game against the Leafs.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
We are getting heavily underrated on the main boards.
Most people have us as the 2nd worst to worst Canadian team and many others have us as 2nd last to last in the central.

I kind of like it though. We are the dark horse now.
While this is basically a known truth and ongoing reality the "3 teams in 3 teams out" thread has a ton of Jets love from a cross section of posters.

The idea was list 3 teams from each of the East and the West who would be out of the playoffs and the teams that would replace them.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2366969

The other funny thread is the top 20 forwards on the 7 Canadian teams.

Just based on pure points the Jets had the 7th, 12th, 30th, 31st & 88th highest scorers in the whole league. Little and Perreault with a few more games played would be in the top 100 as well. 40 - 60 pts from Connor would be a big add of secondary scoring to the team.

Many predictions here are way over the top.
Let's just hope for a small improvement in O and decent improvement in GA.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Crocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by boanst View Post
Your advice would make this team weaker, not stronger. Scheif and Enstrom were ran at a lot when we were a playoff team and considered the toughest team in the league, that didnt prevent anything. Trouba fought big bad Sam Bennett, maybe Thorbs shoulda fought him instead? Laine got caught with his head down on an iffy pass through the middle that was bang bang. I guess Peluso's presence would have prevented an instinctive play from happening.

In case you didnt know, hockey games are won by the team that scores more goals, not the one that is the toughest.
[mod] I'm not a fan of goons but tough teams win and they win in the playoffs. No question. Intimidation exists in hockey [mod]. We were a tough team a few years ago but not last year and not looking like it this year.

How could my advice possibly make the team weaker? And ya, the Laine hit was per-meditated so there is a chance you might not do it if Peluso is in the game or you know someone will take you out.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 07-06-2017 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Irrelevant. Don't do that please.
Crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:47 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Well Pittsburgh is small and weak and won back to back cups????? Nashville used speed to wreck the ever nasty but slow footed Ducks. Chicago has won three cups while teams like Anaheim failed to run them out of the rink?

I think you are Cherry picking games too because we handle ourselves pretty well physically for the most part and where does it get us??? We were easily the toughest team in the league two seasons ago with both Peluso and Thor dressed far too often and that mastery of muscle got us a lottery pick in Laine.

Teams lose players to cheap shots Far too often and muscle does **** all to deter that. Did you forget that eastern swing when it seemed like we knocked players out of every game with our physicality yet we missed the playoffs??

Sorry but our issue has not been toughness for the past 6 seasons.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:48 AM
WerdnaG
Rookie User

There are only three teams that have won the cup recently that I woukd classify as "tough teams"

The Bruins and the Kings twice.

WerdnaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 04:54 PM
TheDeuce

vCash: 367
Some interesting numbers. Here are the futures to win the Cup from Bet365:

Toronto: 15:1
Edmonton: 11:1
Winnipeg: 51:1

Edmonton 11:1? They have the Penguins at 10:1! Serious whiskey tango foxtrot.

m.

TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 04:55 PM
TheDeuce

vCash: 367
Here's the full list if you're interested:

https://www.bet365.com/#/AC/B17/C20535243/D1/E33555932/F2/P^1/Q^33555932/I

m.

TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post

m.
Those are pretty nice odds for Winnipeg...(a nice payout I mean).

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:

m.
Haven't ever placed an online bet but going with 50 on the Jets to take home the hardware is intriguing.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 08:01 PM
angrymnky

Reporter harps on goalie's last year performance and mentions low sv% of .908
Fans rage because of selective biased reporting just using his recent bad year
Use his best numbers to come up with a higher sv% more around .918
Apparently his career .911 stat isn't useful to consider.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:17 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
I can only speak for myself, but yes, I think his time with Philadelphia (4 full seasons, not counting his 7 game stint in 2013 which was also terrific) is likely to be a better indicator of his current ability than his play with Columbus. His last full season with Columbus, we hadn't yet drafted Trouba, and played in the Southeast Division.

As a reference: Steve Mason was traded to Philadelphia around the same time as Ben Bishop was traded to Tampa Bay. Remember that trade?

So yes, I think his time in Philadelphia as a whole is more important than both his time in Columbus and only his last year in Philly.

May i ask why you disagree? I can only assume that you do based on your post.

Old
07-07-2017, 11:49 PM
gnp

Very Scewed !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegger View Post
Agree with Paul Wiecek on this one. Mason is a bit of a gamble and goaltending could blow up in the team's face again.

"The numbers tell the tale. Hellebuyck and his .907 save percentage were not nearly good enough last season and it cost the Jets a playoff berth as far as I'm concerned.

So Chevy goes out last weekend and signs a guy who had a .908 save percentage last season? I don't see how that solves the problem.

Mason is a decent backup goalie — and light years better than Hutchinson. But the Jets need a competent, consistent starting goalie if all this young talent is going to have a chance to shine next season. And they still don't have one, in my opinion.
"
I don't understand this analysis at all !!! Mason had a .908 save % only last year--" but was around .917 % SP for the 3 years in a row prior ??? Do you not consider that ??? or the fact he was I believe .928 in his 2014-2015 season ???( 3-rd in the entire league) Do you not think "every" goalie has a down year ??-of course they do. Also Mason was not happy with the Flyers management and wanted out of Philly. If a guy can post a .928 % just 2 years ago, do you not think he can do it again-of course he can. He will want to prove himself for his next contract. I ASSURE you Mason will be fine, and solid. We don't need a Superstar-just solid.

As for Helly at .907 %-what a complete joke !!! What do you think his Save percentage would have been if he was left in for the 8 games he was yanked out of ?? likely around .885 to .88% at best. This Helly guy is a "backup goalie" at best !!!! until he proves differently.

Last edited by gnp: 07-07-2017 at 11:54 PM.
gnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 07:19 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
Well Ben Bishop had a similar save % last season to Mason and "shockingly" he seemed to be a hot commodity this off season as well??

Old
07-08-2017, 08:14 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
I don't understand this analysis at all !!! Mason had a .908 save % only last year--" but was around .917 % SP for the 3 years in a row prior ??? Do you not consider that ??? or the fact he was I believe .928 in his 2014-2015 season ???( 3-rd in the entire league) Do you not think "every" goalie has a down year ??-of course they do. Also Mason was not happy with the Flyers management and wanted out of Philly. If a guy can post a .928 % just 2 years ago, do you not think he can do it again-of course he can. He will want to prove himself for his next contract. I ASSURE you Mason will be fine, and solid. We don't need a Superstar-just solid.

As for Helly at .907 %-what a complete joke !!! What do you think his Save percentage would have been if he was left in for the 8 games he was yanked out of ?? likely around .885 to .88% at best. This Helly guy is a "backup goalie" at best !!!! until he proves differently.
Sticking with Mason as I still have lots of hope for Helly. Mason is exactly what we (fans) have been asking for. League average starter level goaltending. His 5 season with Philly he was .916 (16th), 9.17 (20th), 9.28 (3rd), 9.18 (19th), 9.08 (34th). Assuming the real Steve Mason is the average of these 5 years and at age 29 that is a reasonable assumption. We are looking at a guy likely in the .915-.918 range coming somewhere in the middle of the pack in starter rankings. I'm hoping he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and pushes this up a bit and we see Helly rise to the challenge trying to steal the net. But either way at 2 years and no assets lost to obtain him it was a good signing.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:17 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Sticking with Mason as I still have lots of hope for Helly. Mason is exactly what we (fans) have been asking for. League average starter level goaltending. His 5 season with Philly he was .916 (16th), 9.17 (20th), 9.28 (3rd), 9.18 (19th), 9.08 (34th). Assuming the real Steve Mason is the average of these 5 years and at age 29 that is a reasonable assumption. We are looking at a guy likely in the .915-.918 range coming somewhere in the middle of the pack in starter rankings. I'm hoping he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and pushes this up a bit and we see Helly rise to the challenge trying to steal the net. But either way at 2 years and no assets lost to obtain him it was a good signing.
In line with this thread title it would be nice if our goaltending equaled or exceeded Toronto and Edmonton this year and if it does I like our chances of competing with either team.

Last edited by ps241: 07-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old
07-08-2017, 12:24 PM
ShooTer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDane View Post
We better be competitive with the Leafs at least! Just made an avatar bet with a Leaf fan saying Chef, Laine and Ehls combines for more points than Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Go Jets Go!
Don't think you will have much to worry about. The Laughs are going to have a bit of reality setting in this year !! The Laughs are not nearly as good as that fan base thinks. They have posters saying that they now have the best forward group in the league now....lmao !!

ShooTer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:

A lot of bettors don't seem to be aware of the relative injury hits to the 3 teams last year. Don't seem to recognize the significance of the goaltending upgrade either.

Might be a good time to out a few bucks on the Jets.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote