HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have we gotten better or worse?

Old
07-03-2017, 02:03 PM
MisterD
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Slightly worse at this point.

MisterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:08 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 132
i don't really think of it as "adding up points" to figure out if we're better or worse.

Oilers had PP issues and secondary scoring issues for large stretches of the year. They have the talent to score so its more about rejigging the mix I think.

and again.....there is probably a move or two still to be made.....

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:11 PM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

vCash: 500
The Oilers aren't unlike any other top team, either standing pat or losing a few guys due to team success. Just look at Pittsburgh, Washington, Anaheim, San Jose, Nashville, I guess you can throw Ottawa in there as well. I wouldn't say that any of those teams got better "on paper" and in fact, got worse in the case of Washington and Ottawa.
I don't see any of those teams having the potential growth that the Oilers have either so while the Oilers did downgrade a bit on paper, that doesn't mean they will be a worse team. Their depth took a hit though so a key injury or two could really derail their season.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Oilfan2
13.5%

There seem to be a lot of 'ifs' this upcoming season....

I have no idea whether they'll be better or worse. Frankly, 'on paper' means very little as history tells us.

Could the Oilers be like numerous other teams over the years and go from having a great season to missing the playoffs? You bet if history is any indicator. Recent years show teams like the Flames, Canucks, Aves, CBJ, Florida, etc. having great seasons and making the playoffs. Next season, they miss.

I'm sure we can all come up with 'if' reasons why they could be better and others can come up with reasons why they could be worse.

From my POV, I want to see at least a 2nd season. After 10+ years of mediocrity, I'm not ready to anoint the team as having arrived after one good season.

However, with a superstar in the mix, a very good goalie and a decent group of 'support', including defense, I'm more optimistic than usual that this team can continue to grow. That doesn't mean there won't be a setback..We are depending on those 'ifs', such as injury free, growth from young players, continued goalie %/%, etc.

I'd like to see some 'cushion' from Sekera's injury, some more experience on the wings and a good backup goalie in case of that 'injury' that could sink the season very quickly.

Lets hope for continued growth and success...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!

They lost a few extra pieces, but overall I like the roster a bit more, especially at forward. I think you'll see another guy or two signed, as right now there's zero NHL depth there though.

With the way this team is organised (arguably the best 1st line in the league, and a defence that's more "2-way" vs. driving the offense), 3 scoring lines is a bad idea. There's just not enough opportunity to go around. If you can convert the 3rd line into an all-round minutes eater vs. soft minutes, I think the team comes out ahead. Especially if you can get the 4th line into a bit more of a /defensive wagon setup.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Strome
Caggiula-Letestu-Slepyshev
Winnik-Khaira-Kassian
Pakarinen

Through another defensive centre like Fiddler, Gordon, McClement, Laich, (or even Fisher if you wan to aim higher) to push Khaira for that defensive centre role would be ideal.

Considering the defence had 4 guys 24 and under, I think a natural progression can be expected. I'd still mix the Sekera-Russell and Nurse-Benning pairings to get a vet on each pairing.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Russell

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:20 PM
MikeGrier99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Strome is closer to 36 points if he had played all year long. Eberle is 50 ... so that's 14 points to make up.

But if you sign a Vanek or Iginla ... likely that's another 28-40 points added.

So no, technically this is not "worse", even on paper. We have to get Draisaitl signed, then we can have a better idea of where we can spend our cap after that.
It's not as simple as this though. It's not as simple as players and how many points they score. There's only so much ice time and so many spots. Some players bleed more goals and are easy for the opposition to play against, such as Eberle. Also I would expect a fair amount of potential growth with Nuge, McDavid, Draisaitl, Pulju, Strome, Slepyshev, Cagiula, etc. etc. all potentially getting better. Signing Iginla could add 30-40 points but at the cost of a breakout 50 point season of Slepyshev. Who knows is all I'm saying.

MikeGrier99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:23 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGrier99 View Post
It's not as simple as this though. It's not as simple as players and how many points they score. There's only so much ice time and so many spots. Some players bleed more goals and are easy for the opposition to play against, such as Eberle. Also I would expect a fair amount of potential growth with Nuge, McDavid, Draisaitl, Pulju, Strome, Slepyshev, Cagiula, etc. etc. all potentially getting better. Signing Iginla could add 30-40 points but at the cost of a breakout 50 point season of Slepyshev. Who knows is all I'm saying.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:30 PM
rboomercat90

I'm one of those guys that expects to see a lot of internal growth, that's why the loss of guys like Eberle and Poulliot don't bother me. My one concern might be the loss of Sekera for an extended period of time as that gets other guys playing above their heads but there isn't anything that can be done about that. I didn't expect Chiarelli to bring in a vet as a temporary replacement. I think this team will be more than fine with a minor tweak here or there before training camp. As long a second we stay reasonably healthy I expect them to challenge for the division again.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:36 PM
HK97

Too many unpredictable variables. Strome, how will he fit in and do. How badly will we miss Sekera. Will Maroon regress back to his norm. Will Looch feel more comfortable and have a much better year. Will Drai and Connor be separated and be able to be a great 1-2 punch down the middle. Will Cagguila improve by a lot. etc etc. It can go either way. But I do feel we overperformed last year (especially the regular season). Just watching them all last year they did not feel like a 103 point and almost FIFTY win team. Was very fortunate with the lack of injuries last year. I have a feeling this team will regress this year and it wouldn't surprise me if they regressed a significant amount.

I have a feeling the teams in our division and conference will adjust and be able to shut our team down a little better.

HK97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Aceboogie

Worse 100%. Puljujarvi will need to score 25 next year to get us back to last year's level

So healthy this past year too

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:31 PM
FlameChampion

vCash: 587
I think we should be a slightly better team but not sure if it will translate into a better year or not. Nothing is for certain in sports.

Roster wise, on paper I think its hard to argue that we have really improved.

We more or less have the same roster. Eberle for Strome. Pouillot bought out. Sekera being injured definitely throws a wrinkle in things though. (Sekera is the one that hurts things imo).

Lots of things went right for the Oilers last year. They were very healthy. But I would argue that a lot of things went right, but there were a lot of things that went less than perfect. Those would mainly be offensive production from RNH, Eberle, Pouillot and Lucic. They also didnt get a ton of support from their young wingers i.e. Cagguila, Slepshev, Puljujarv. On the bright side McDavid, Draitsaitl, Talbot and Maroon performed well. Talbot was a pillar last year and a lot of their success comes down to him.

You can argue that their success is reliant on the success/health of McDavid, Draitsaitl, Talbot and the pairing of Klefbom and Larsson. But thats true for any team in the cap era.

There are a lot of young players on this team. On paper we may be the same team, but you hope that players like Cagguila, Slepshev, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Benning etc make strides this year.

Here are some reasons I think we will be successful:
- First time in a long time we have a strong locker room of a bunch of guys who want to play with/for each other.
- They know what it takes to make the playoffs in the NHL
- They know what it takes to play in the playoffs and they went through it together with largely the same team
- Another year with the same coach. Players should know whats expected from the coach. Everyone should know the systems better.
- More comfortability with the team for a lot of the players. i.e. Lucic and Larsson should be more comfortable. Someone like Klefbom should have a lot less doubts coming into this year than last year. etc.
- Management has made a point. If you come to camp out of shape, you might be in the AHL next year (Fayne). If you come into camp in shape you might get more opportunities (Maroon/Kassian)
- If you dont produce and you make too much money, you wont be part of the team (Eberle, Pouillot) aka be ready to play and be ready to play hard.

I still hoping that they pick up someone who can play 3C and some who can provide some defensive depth.

Last edited by FlameChampion: 07-03-2017 at 03:44 PM.
FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Gord
Batfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeOnKnee View Post
Title says it all, been watching all the teams tinker with their lineups, the Flames are going to be tougher, the Leafs are looking to improve. While all we done was unload some bad contracts and free up cap space, added some question marks in Strome. I guess what I am really getting at is that our window has finally opened and we are spinning our tires by a lot of small move and general inactivity.
I think the oilers are about the same. Maybe a little worse vecause of sekeras injury and no replacement.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:38 PM
SPIRIT

When you have a young core consisting of:

* McDavid
* Draisaitl
* Nugent-Hopkins
* Oscar Klefbom
* Darnell Nurse
* Adam Larsson
* Matt Benning

... each and every year up until about their late 20s, we become a better team.

We dropped Eberle for Strome, who seems to have more jam and none of the "looks-sleepy-and-hung-over-all-the-time" thing going on. The one thing that concerns me is the Sekera injury, we haven't done much to protect ourself from it. The summer is young, though. Chiarelli hinted at some groundwork being laid for trades.

Even with Seks injured, we should be in a playoff position by the time he's better, meaning he'll hit his stride when we want to go make the big push in spring. This trade-deadline, we'll be active and any deficiencies we didn't fill through year-over-year growth will be filled.

I think many people have looked at the recent moves by Calgary and Dallas and gotten insecure. Don't sweat this stuff. Breathe, and then look at the quality of that 25 < year old core above.

SPIRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:41 PM
LMFAO

We did the right thing staying path. The priority is to sign McDavid and Draisailt. We just have to be patient for Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to be ready.

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Tyrolean

I look for a regression next season.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheathead View Post
I think the subtraction of Eberle and addition of Strome makes us better.
i disagree with you but internal improvement will replace the loss of Eberle. I think that we have good chance to advance well in playoffs.Although, Chicago will recover and may be too tough to be beaten. Maybe...
Maybe we can win it all

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Deplorable Lenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It'd quite possible in a playoff round Strome has better numbers than what Eberle put up. That's a pretty low bar.
Yup

16th on the team for points in the playoffs is an incredibly low bar indeed. Especially when its behind guys like Russell, Slepyshev, Kassian, Benning and Cagguila.

I think its possible that Strome still gets close to the same points Eberle does this year in the regular season too. At less than half the cost.

Deplorable Lenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:29 PM
KCC

Def worse and if get banged up we will have our troubles. But luckily the division is terrible. Ducks will be up there, flames maybe and that's about it. Kings if they can actually score will climb but doubtful. Everyone else stands no chance.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Too early to say. We could see recent additions improve (Lucic and Russell) due to them now being familiar with the system. Then we have a slough of guys who could improve: RNH, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Benning, Klefbom, Larsson, Brossoit and Strome based on age for many of them and a change of scenery for Strome.

Lastly we have Connor and Leon, I feel that both can and will get better but if Leon's contract negotiations go into the season I suspect that he will start slow and may not have as good of a season as he could otherwise. Continuity is something that most good teams have, the lack of changeover may actually improve the team more than it weakens it contrary to popular belief.

07-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Aerchon

Kind of a crap shoot with that question.

We are a young team with many of it's players just scratching the surface of their potential. Especially on defense.

Defensemen rarely develop in a linear fashion so we could see a huge spike in their effectiveness or a lull as well.

On paper we got a tiny bit worse, less depth, and some other teams significantly better, Calgary for example.

I think, as a gambling man, I would say the Oilers will be better this year. Moving forward the cap will really dig into any player that over achieves tho.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

I for one think that losing last seasons version of Eberle won't hurt us much. Much like Hall when we moved him the Eberle that we moved out was not the 30 goal/70+ point guy that we once knew.

It will be interesting to see what RNH can/cannot do with Eberle no longer attached to his hip.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:51 PM
GMofOilers

If we are as healthy as last season we will be better.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Soundwave

Connor McDavid has only played 150 games, lol, he's going to get better too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Spawn

I think our roster is a bit worse with Eberle swapped out for Strome and with Sekera out for the beginning of the season.

But the Oilers were playing much better hockey at the end of last season compared to the start. There was a lot of growth by the team in the final couple months of the season. We were a top 5 team in the league our final 1/2 of the season.

So hopefully that growth maintains and the downgrade from Eberle to Strome isn't as badly felt as it might have been last year.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Definitely worse. Plus the Old Boys club is bringing back Howson and seemingly taking control again. This will guarantee some major setbacks as the decision making goes from average (Chia) to bad (Lowe dominated).

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote