HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have we gotten better or worse?

Old
07-03-2017, 05:05 PM
bombers15
5-14-6-1

vCash: 284
So far it's pretty obviously worse. We'll see how the extra cap space is used though.

bombers15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Hot take: I'd like to see how the team does before declaring if they are better or not.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I think our roster is a bit worse with Eberle swapped out for Strome and with Sekera out for the beginning of the season.

But the Oilers were playing much better hockey at the end of last season compared to the start. There was a lot of growth by the team in the final couple months of the season. We were a top 5 team in the league our final 1/2 of the season.

So hopefully that growth maintains and the downgrade from Eberle to Strome isn't as badly felt as it might have been last year.
With the talk of Strome down the middle and Puljujarvi maybe making the team. I wonder if we'll see something like this?

Maroon-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl
Caggiula-Strome-Slepyshev
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Other than not having a shut down line that is a good looking group of forwards if Jesse is ready for the NHL.

07-03-2017, 05:11 PM
ujju2

vCash: 225
Better, because on paper, Nuge is a better player than last season. Also, we should be able to expect some degree of internal improvement.

ujju2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:14 PM
GRadio
Energy Line

I think a lot of our success hinges on the development of Pulujarvi. If he turns out to be an elite winger, then we're looking good. It's like adding a #1 RW for free.

GRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:18 PM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

vCash: 400
Worse.

Strome < Eberle
Khaira < Pouliot
??? < Desharnais (although I don't like him)
Injured Sekera and his temporary replacement < Healthy Sekera

You hope for internal growth but I've seen that song playout before with RNH, Gagner, Yakupov, Eberle and Schultz pushing down arrows after their first couple of years.
I wouldn't bet against McDavid and Draisaitl improving, but I been fooled before by the above players. Seems like for every player that goes up, one goes down and only the foolish rely only on internal growth.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:25 PM
OilTastic
Embrace The Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I'm bullish on internal growth. We're a young team that could have evolution that makes up for the downgrades.
^sadly this is lost on some!

OilTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Arturs Irbe
Not The Real Arturs

I think it's reliant on internal growth rather than addition of new players.
Also the Sekera injury and 10 million dollar boys are handcuffs.

Arturs Irbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:31 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
If we are as healthy as last season we will be better.
Yep, health is always the determining factor in any season. If we're healthy we should be better. Lots of younger players took forward steps last year.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Ol' Jase
No mas, Adam. No mas

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Definitely worse. Plus the Old Boys club is bringing back Howson and seemingly taking control again. This will guarantee some major setbacks as the decision making goes from average (Chia) to bad (Lowe dominated).
Huh?? Howson has been with the Oilers for the past 4 years.

If you really think that a VP of Player Development trumps a GM in player personnel decisions, you don't have a clue how the hockey hierarchy works.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:44 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Yep, health is always the determining factor in any season. If we're healthy we should be better. Lots of younger players took forward steps last year.
Indeed. But standings wise LA losing a starter and Vancouver and Arizona collapsing into the crapper played a big part in our division standing.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Weitz

Might be worse. But I think the standings will show markedly worse as other teams have improved far more than us this off season.

Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:53 PM
McRobbiezyg

I think the team overachieved a bit last year, and we got worse. I think we'll be clinching a playoff spot a little later this year

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:55 PM
tiger_80

As of now definitely got worse.
1) Out Sekera, Eberle, Pouliot; in Strome.
Unless they at least add another top 4 defenseman and find a way to compensate for Eberle and Pouliot internally (Strome is not a replacement for Eberle unless proven otherwise), they are the weaker team than a few months ago.
That said, they may be good enough to make the playoffs and it's always possible to boost the roster with a couple of players at the trade deadline.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Burnt Biscuits

I appreciate that so many are optimistic as it was in short supply for much of the past few years. That said just looking at things logically, we are almost undoubtedly worse than we were last year, the biggest issue is obviously Sekera and not only the games he will miss, but the games it will take him to get back to his usual level of play. Moving out Eberle we lost some scoring that hasn't been adequately replaced and moving out Pouliot and other role players has hurt our PK. We were a very healthy team last season when it comes to the players that matter and Talbot played phenomenally despite being overworked, I suspect our fortunes change on one of these two fronts.

The thing that makes me most optimistic is we seemed to be a much better team at the end of the year than the start of the year, even if our team rolls back a level, we will still probably be playing at a level higher than what we are at to start the year, so it makes me hopeful for playoffs, but not particularly hopeful in our ability to go any deeper than last year.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 06:22 PM
StupidGenius

I don't blame anyone who is a bit apprehensive to rely on internal growth to ensure our success. We had way too many years in the past decade where we banked the entire season on it, and players weren't able to play above thier heads.

With the current roster, I think most of the players who we'd need to show growth are all currently slotted in or around the positions they need to be in order to have that success. The issue is that we are not well equipped to deal with injuries, and it might only take one or two guys being out to completely throw that out of whack and result in guys like Caggiula, Slepychev, Nurse or Benning having to play above thier heads.

StupidGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 07:12 PM
McIce Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post
Worse.

Strome < Eberle
Khaira < Pouliot

You hope for internal growth but I've seen that song playout before with RNH, Gagner, Yakupov, Eberle and Schultz pushing down arrows after their first couple of years.
I wouldn't bet against McDavid and Draisaitl improving, but I been fooled before by the above players. Seems like for every player that goes up, one goes down and only the foolish rely only on internal growth.
Although I agree we are worse right now, that isn't exactly the correct way of comparing them. You have to look at it by position. Strome is replacing DD as the 3C. That's an upgrade, IMO. Puju will more than likely be replacing Eberle and that's a question mark. As of right now, that's a clear downgrade but if Puju comes out of the gate flying and puts up 40-50 points, it's a pretty even trade off. And Puju isn't some late pick we are relying on, this is an elite prospect that was up there with Matthews and Laine. I'm cautiously optimistic he comes in and has a solid season. Pou had 17 points for us all season....he didn't contribute a lot. His play on the PK will be missed but I feel like if we sign a veteran winger like Jokinen to replace pou, we will be sitting pretty well.

McIce Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 07:16 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post
Worse.

Strome < Eberle
Khaira < Pouliot

What about guys like Slepyshev, Klefbom, Nurse and Brossoit improving their games?

I never mentioned Strome, Puljujarvi or Caggiula. These younger guys should also improve given decent nhl talent to perform with.

I don't see any of McDavid, Draisaitl or Talbot regressing anytime soon either.

I think they're going to be okay.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 07:26 PM
KCC

Quote:
Definitely worse. Plus the Old Boys club is bringing back Howson and seemingly taking control again. This will guarantee some major setbacks as the decision making goes from average (Chia) to bad (Lowe dominated).
He said in an interview that he talked to chiarelli not some "old boys club". He also said he wants to try and find the Sheary's, Guetzel's etc so clearly he's been told what to look for. Why? Because obviously when McDavid and Drais sign they will have no choice but to find players like that for cheap.

The conspiracies some of you go on about makes me laugh. A few might be there from the "old boys club", but Chiarelli is the guy in charge nowadays. If some don't want to accept that, it's up to you. But it really doesn't come across well.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 07:31 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

There's still lots of the offseason left to make more moves but as it stands right now definitely worse

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 08:05 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

The question is very broad.

Do we include Sekera missing time? Do we factor in natural progression of our young players?

If we're not including development, then we are worse, but the biggest improvement will come with our team getting older and more mature/ confident.

I think we are much better today. Sekera injury sucks.

McMozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 08:09 PM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
What about guys like Slepyshev, Klefbom, Nurse and Brossoit improving their games?

I never mentioned Strome, Puljujarvi or Caggiula. These younger guys should also improve given decent nhl talent to perform with.

I don't see any of McDavid, Draisaitl or Talbot regressing anytime soon either.

I think they're going to be okay.
I didn't specifically name those players but I believe my theory will hold true for the team where internal growth will be matched by internal deterioration.

If I was going to bet on regression I would say:
1. Talbot - career year, not sure if it is repeatable (this would be a significant blow)
2. Sekera - serious injury for an older player are sometimes hard to come back from
3. Russell - think he overachieved
4. Lucic - signs of serious foot speed deterioration already
5. Benning - like his game but not sure if his frame makes his current game sustainable

Can't predict the future, but I sure hope Chia is banking on more than internal growth and optimism to win games. As of right now, we don't have the depth to cope without growth and don't have the depth to cope and weather any type of McDavid injury.

Old
07-03-2017, 08:12 PM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

Quote:
And I thought I was pessimistic...

Old
07-03-2017, 08:13 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It'd quite possible in a playoff round Strome has better numbers than what Eberle put up. That's a pretty low bar.
Totally sick and tired of you running down Eberle in post after post while telling others to stop posting on the topic.
Why don't you put your avatar where your mouth is?
Assuming healthy seasons for both, Eberle scores more goals and points than Strome next season.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 08:14 PM
oilers'72

Potential positives:

Strome getting 50 points, especially if a good portion are against playoff teams.
The PP getting off to a good start and staying that way through the season.
The younger players improving on last season.

Potential negatives:

Sekera's injury and how well he plays when he returns.
Whether Drai, and his crew, drags out his contract through the summer into being a holdout.

oilers'72 is offline   Reply With Quote