HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gordie Clark interview w/Dave Maloney

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2006, 09:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Gordie Clark interview w/Dave Maloney

Dave Maloney had on Rangers head amatuer scout Gordie Clark between the first and second period of the Rangers-Ottawa game.Clark said Don Maloney and Rangers amateur scout Tim Murray attended the Sudbury-Kingston game on Wednesday to look at Marc Staal and some of eligible 2006 draftees-Nick Foligno,Corey Emmerton and Chris Stewart.Clark didn't mention the 2006 eligibles by name but it's easy to look up.Clark will scout the next game in that series on Friday.Clark feels Staal is ready to take the next step in his career and play a mans game.Staal plays so much in junior-30-35 minutes per game-that Clark felt it limits Staal's effectiveness because he needs to pace himself and conserve his energy

Maloney brought up Lauri Korpikoski joining the organization in the near future.Clark said(he used the word "screamed") he wanted the Rangers to place Korp with a CHL team so he can play more but his military committment wouldn't allow it.Clark wasn't happy with the way TPS used Korpikoski the last two seasons by having him get third and fourth line minutes

Clark added he constantly emails the scouts about getting players who can play in the new NHL-skating.Clark will be running his draft as the Rangers head amatuer scout after having been promoted last summer.I remember he recommended the Rangers acquire Greg Moore in the Chris Simon deal

Old
03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

What a lot of people don't realize is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Dave Maloney had on Rangers head amatuer scout Gordie Clark between the first and second period of the Rangers-Ottawa game.Clark said Don Maloney and Rangers amateur scout Tim Murray attended the Sudbury-Kingston game on Wednesday to look at Marc Staal and some of eligible 2006 draftees-Nick Foligno,Corey Emmerton and Chris Stewart.Clark didn't mention the 2006 eligibles by name but it's easy to look up.Clark will scout the next game in that series on Friday.Clark feels Staal is ready to take the next step in his career and play a mans game.Staal plays so much in junior-30-35 minutes per game-that Clark felt it limits Staal's effectiveness because he needs to pace himself and conserve his energy

Maloney brought up Lauri Korpikoski joining the organization in the near future.Clark said(he used the word "screamed") he wanted the Rangers to place Korp with a CHL team so he can play more but his military committment wouldn't allow it.Clark wasn't happy with the way TPS used Korpikoski the last two seasons by having him get third and fourth line minutes

Clark added he constantly emails the scouts about getting players who can play in the new NHL-skating.Clark will be running his draft as the Rangers head amatuer scout after having been promoted last summer.I remember he recommended the Rangers acquire Greg Moore in the Chris Simon deal
Gordie Clark was the DOP for the Isles when they had all those great selections that Milbury pissed away. Clark is another of the great signings that Sather did while the spot light was on the rangers squad. As much as peopel hate to admot it Sather had a plan to rebuild. Rebuilding also includes the scouts you hire. You can't draft the right players if you don't have the scouts to find them. What amazes me still is that there are fans that still say, "I don't trust Sather" Renney, Maloney, Clark, Murray, Rockstrom, etc. We have, I think, 5 guys who at one time or another were DOPs. Those guys cost $. Therein lies forsight. Everyone knew a cap was coming. The only advantage teams were going to have was to do a better job scouting and developing their picks. The Rangers are positioned better than almost any team in the NHL now. That did not happen by accident.

Old
03-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Edge

Took the words out of my mouth Atlanta.

When Clark came on board, there were some posts about it and the more knowledgeable fans were really happy.

Gordie Clark is a very underrrated name in that department, but he is an A-lister for sure.

If Milbury hadn't buried the Islanders over the last decade I think you would've seen a lot more recognition for Clark (and to a lesser extent Maloney) for laying the groundwork for what would have been a very very good Islander team.

The smartest investment a team can make in a salary capped NHL are the behind the scenes guys.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Pizza

...and mine as well.

Perhaps referring to his conversation with Clark earlier in the night Maloney mused briefly on some of the players that Milbury gave away. A few of these if not more were selected by Clark.

Sather and Co. knew that the $$$ advantage the Rangers had could still be used to develop an infrastructure of great scouting talent and coaches. As a result the Rangers now have one of the more solid scouting/coaching brain trusts in hockey.

It is still very early in the rebuild after all and we have seen just the tip an iceberg.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:25 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
...and mine as well.

Perhaps referring to his conversation with Clark earlier in the night Maloney mused briefly on some of the players that Milbury gave away. A few of these if not more were selected by Clark.

Sather and Co. knew that the $$$ advantage the Rangers had could still be used to develop an infrastructure of great scouting talent and coaches. As a result the Rangers now have one of the more solid scouting/coaching brain trusts in hockey.

It is still very early in the rebuild after all and we have seen just the tip an iceberg.
I like what weve done with our prospects but one makes me wonder. Lee Falardeau over Jarret Stoll. Stoll was a re-entry and older and more ready,he would have been a better pick than Falardeau.Stolls stats for this year 73 21 44 65. If Falardeau does half of his stats, Ill be shocked, what a brutal pick. We should just deal our early picks for later ones since we seem to find better gems in past, Kim Johnsson comes to mind. I hope Marek comes over and proves that to be true again although he is 27. Falardeau reminds me of a more physical Betts, at least Falardeau will fight.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I like what weve done with our prospects but one makes me wonder. Lee Falardeau over Jarret Stoll. Stoll was a re-entry and older and more ready,he would have been a better pick than Falardeau.Stolls stats for this year 73 21 44 65. If Falardeau does half of his stats, Ill be shocked, what a brutal pick. We should just deal our early picks for later ones since we seem to find better gems in past, Kim Johnsson comes to mind. I hope Marek comes over and proves that to be true again although he is 27. Falardeau reminds me of a more physical Betts, at least Falardeau will fight.
You're jumping the gun here, JOrts. We messed up on one pick. Hindsight is always 20/20. So we should deal all our early picks because we always mess up? Sooner or later the blind squirrel will find the acorn. Maybe some day we'll draft a stud. But as a rebuilding franchise with an excellent scouting staff, it'd be quite dumb to trade away all your draft picks.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Pizza

Call me crazy, but I like Lee Falardeau. I'm not going to defend the pick, because there was a better one to make. The guy works his tail off, has good size and keeps improving. He has a great attitude. I'm really pulling for him.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Edge

Really the only two picks I'd really have done differently (and I think they'd have made a hell of an impact on the team's long term future) were Farladeau and Jessiman.

Even without the benefit of hindsight, I'd have taken Stoll and Getzlaf. Imagining those guys in the same cupboard as names like Prucha, Dawes and Staal is just frightening.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Pizza

I've been watching Getzlaf a lot....and to think we could have had him is heart breaking. He's just gonna be soooooo good. He is already.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:36 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
I've been watching Getzlaf a lot....and to think we could have had him is heart breaking. He's just gonna be soooooo good. He is already.

And Jessiman and Falardeau aint scoring in the AHL. At least Stoll had solid numbers in AHL. Jessiman and Falardeau combinded still have less than Stoll had.

Old
03-31-2006, 05:40 AM
Ola

I don't really care who gets the credit or not. Sather deserves to be critizised, for his work when he got here. Though what does that matter?

Anyway, like some here already have pointed out, there have been a obvious strategy all over the organization to bring in the best people available. I saw one great example when reading the Blueshirt Bulletin (always a tremendous read). In a report from the rookie camp I recognized two coaches right away. One is a pretty famous russian skating coach, is a legend in a hockeyschool in Moscow. The other one is a pretty famous Swedish "abdominal expert" (He was also present at the Blueshirt Inside/out draft special a two years ago). He is also somewhat of a legend because of his work with among other tennis players. Pretty much all players he worked with improved their serve with like 20 mph. He is to abdominals what Allaiere is to goalies so to speak.

To see that we bring in people like that to work with our rookies speaks for itself, its not a 50/50 attempt, we brought in the best in the world all cathegorys. I also think its obvious how much guys like Dom Moore and Ortmayer have improved there skating, Dom Moore for example was really agile before but he did not have such a smooth stride in HFD last season as he have shown in NY this year. Some other players that I am not familiar with but from a distant seems to have improved their skating allot is Dubinsky and Callahan.

I also love the atmosphere among the staff, the joint leadership part so to speak. Its not a one man show. I love the atmosphere Renney brought in from "Hockey Canada", diffrent countrys contribute with diffrent things in hockey. Canadians have the best attitude of all, at one part its important to have guys like Betts and Ward on the team, at another its important to have really good scouts in Canada. I haven't heard much about the last scout we signed, the one who had worked so long scouting players for the Canadian WJC team. Though its probably another guy we got cause of Renney's knowledge, our assistants in NY are other examples.

Old
03-31-2006, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Gordie Clark joined the Rangers before the 2003-04 season after leaving the Islanders in a contract dispute with Charles Wang.He had a limited role in his first two years with the Rangers-scouting the AHL and college hockey.Considering Don Maloney has taken a greater role in the day to day operations and Tom Renney is the head coach,Clark was elevated to run the Rangers scouting operations after having fulfilled the same responsibilities with the Islanders and Bruins

Tim Murray played a major role in the Panthers and Ducks drafts in the last 6-8 years.For some reason,Brian Burke let him go and the Rangers scooped him up

Old
03-31-2006, 06:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Just like with Perry Pearn.His contract in Ottawa had expired.Everyone had him re-joining Jacques Martin in Florida but the Rangers made the better financial offer and added Pearn to the coaching staff

Benoit Allaire.Had one more season remaining on his Coyotes contract.The Rangers were granted permission to speak with Allaire and gave him a three year contract plus a nice raise

Just like the Redskins do with their assistant coaches:Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.They pay them big money.It doesn't count against the cap

Old
03-31-2006, 07:20 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Really the only two picks I'd really have done differently (and I think they'd have made a hell of an impact on the team's long term future) were Farladeau and Jessiman.

I'm with you Edge, I didn't like the Jessiman pick at all, I thought it was another feel good story. Yes, I agree there were better players than Farladeau, but it's our responsibility to develop him into a strong player, and he may become an excellent role player. We can't have a team full of 25-35 goal scorers, it won't happen nor would it work.

RangerJoe

Old
03-31-2006, 07:20 AM
NYR469

hiring gordie clark is one of sather's best moves as gm...he was partially wasted the first 2 years though as a head scout, but now that he is the head amatuer scout its a big boost for the club.

as for korpikoski...i didn't completely hear what sam said last night but he mentioned byers and korpikoski coming to ny to work out with the team.

Old
03-31-2006, 07:32 AM
rangerjoe

Think about the depth we'll have in 3-5 years? How good are we gonna be? We'll finally be the team I wanted the minute Mess left for Vancouver. I love young, fast teams that move the puck and hit...

How good is Staal gonna be? He can play in the NHL for 15 years...OH BABY!

RangerJoe

Old
03-31-2006, 07:43 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
I don't really care who gets the credit or not. Sather deserves to be critizised, for his work when he got here. Though what does that matter?
No one is suggesting that Sather is absolved from his previous seasons, but I think the fact remains that he made some outstanding moves since the Great Purge and we are in our position today because of him. If nothing else he deserves credit for the personnel he has assembled. Give those guys credit for the moves if you must, but Sather hired them. Sather inherrited a terrible team and didn't improve it and that is something that everyone forgets too. He didn't put us in the basement, but he didn't bring us out until recently. I repeat, Sather did a terrible job until March '04 and deserves all of the criticism for that time but he also deserves praise for his work since.

Old
03-31-2006, 08:34 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
No one is suggesting that Sather is absolved from his previous seasons, but I think the fact remains that he made some outstanding moves since the Great Purge and we are in our position today because of him. If nothing else he deserves credit for the personnel he has assembled. Give those guys credit for the moves if you must, but Sather hired them. Sather inherrited a terrible team and didn't improve it and that is something that everyone forgets too. He didn't put us in the basement, but he didn't bring us out until recently. I repeat, Sather did a terrible job until March '04 and deserves all of the criticism for that time but he also deserves praise for his work since.
I agree. At this point it is not about absolution or dammnation. Frankly, who cares? Yes, I detest Sather. Yes, I think that he has done a terrible job prior to March '04. But you cannot simply ignore what has gone on since. Clarke and Murray were great signings. Giving Maloney more power was a good move. Pearn, Pelino & Allaire were great signings. Some of the prospects that were obtained either in a trade or were drafted (with some noteable exceptions) are NOW proving to be solid.
It is almost like a reverse-Smith. Smith was great right up until the 95-96 season. Then he was terrible. Sather seems to be doing a reverse. Terrible in the beginning, but really picking up his game in the end.
Do you guys realize just how long it has been since a Sather-run team has made the playoffs? This year will be the first in a very, very long time.

Old
03-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe
I'm with you Edge, I didn't like the Jessiman pick at all, I thought it was another feel good story. Yes, I agree there were better players than Farladeau, but it's our responsibility to develop him into a strong player, and he may become an excellent role player. We can't have a team full of 25-35 goal scorers, it won't happen nor would it work.

RangerJoe
You raise a good point a about the feel good factor, I would also like to add Montoya to that mix. We draft damn good in the later rounds, absolutely up there with the top teams. Though our 1st rounders are questionable.

A players attitude is really important during his development years, from the time he is 16-25. (14-15 y/o have no limits anyway and its pretty rare that players keep developing after 25) We have been successful in laterrounds cause our scouts are so throughout in their serach, taking all factors into consideration.

Though with the 1st rounders I wonder if all thoose factors aren't clouding the judgement of the decision makers, like when you listen to old interviews with Renney and Maloney from the draft. Jessiman was smart, big, from the state and so strong ect. Though was he really the best player? It was exactly the same with Montoya, he was so strong, smart, Cuban connection, had won the gold for US ect. The talk wasn't all that much about how good he was.

I think Korpikoski will be really good, not franchise type of player, but really good. And, de facto, all the talk about him was his wheels, attitude and his hustle. It weren't about his nationallity, his merits, his size, his school grade, his looks. It was about his game. Same with Tyutin.

From now on **** the feel good storys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
I agree. My point was more "Why care?". Slats impact isn't even that big anymore. As just a symbol in contact/trade negotiations ect. he might even be the perfect man for the job. The bottomline is when discussing our scouts or 1st round picks ect. I don't care what impact slats had on getting them. (besides I've gotten the opinion that its Renney who have built this org. The only thing Slats have done right is listen to Renney. )

Old
03-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe

RangerJoe

I agree that it's a team responsibility to develop, but you can make what you have clay to sculpt. Had the Ranger had some more scorers in the system, I possibly could have swallowed everything a little more. But as it stands, the team has an army of potentially good bottom 6 forwards. It's the actual 25-35 goal scorers the Rangers could use a little more depth on. And they could use centers, both those guys fit the needs.

What gets to me is that in this instance it wasn't even hindsight that shaped these opinions. I felt the same way at the time. Whether people agree with me or not, they can at least agree that this is something I've been saying since the moment it happened. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Old
03-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
The talk wasn't all that much about how good he was.

I think Korpikoski will be really good, not franchise type of player, but really good. And, de facto, all the talk about him was his wheels, attitude and his hustle. It weren't about his nationallity, his merits, his size, his school grade, his looks. It was about his game. Same with Tyutin.
I agree with everything but the Montoya thing.

There was a lot of talk about his ability, his big game play and his focus. Unfortunatly Ranger fans were so busy crying about not getting Olesz or about "Why does the team need another goalie" that they couldn't hear it.

What amazes me is that for all the talk of Dawes, Immonen, etc. etc. etc. Montoya was first year pro, aHL all-star.

I think it's all a matter of perception. My honest opinion is that fans on here especially, just don't want to fairly look at Montoya. They've either fallen in love with Lundqvist and while a lot of that has to do with how good Lundy is, a lot of has to do with attatched this board gets to home grown talent and how hungry Ranger fans were for success.

I mean does anyone remember the last time this team had a legit 20 year old AHL all-star in goal? Instead we want to compare him (even if we don't realize we're doing it) to a 3-year older Henrik Lundqvist. Not even a 20-year old Lundqvist, but a 23 year old.

While we make excuses for Jessiman to make ourselves feel better, or talk about how much Immonen and Dawes have improved. How often do we hear about the fact that it was actually Montoya who was the all-star this season? Instead people can't seem to wait to include him in a trade for a forward, whom in some cases hasn't even played a pro game yet or even been drafted.

As of right now, Montoya has been the player from the last three drafts whose actually taken it to the next level the most. But you wouldn't guess it on here. A long time ago this board decided it didn't want to draft Montoya, and even after Blackburn retired and the team showed it didn't have the depth some of us believed they still had to save face.

It doesn't matter what Montoya does honestly, because for some people it will never be enough. If he bombed they'd be complaining and if he suceeded they'd ignore it.

To find success in Jessiman you have to use phrases like "But you have to remember" or "but" or "Well he hasn't developed as hoped, but".

There's always a but in there or a reason why things haven't gone as planned. Montoya has taken the next step and for the most part, it gets swept under the rug.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Nemchinov13

To add to what Edge said, Montoya was the best player available at the time of the draft too. Also, not only did he possess the talent, but also all of the intanglibles - spirit, grit, work ethic, focus - in other words, everything that can make a talented individual to take it to another level, which Alvaro did. With his history of success at various levels, it is not unexpected that Al will make it to NHL and be a very successful goalie too. I, as much as others, wanted Rostislav Olesz too, but this season opened my eyes on Monty. Especially, after Blacky retired. It is our good luck that Lundqvist turned out to be what he is.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Ola

Edge- I really wasn't refering to Montoya at all, I was refering to the draftspecial (blueshirt inside/out). They of course didn't show all the talk, but from what they showed there where no talk whatsoever about his style, or skills ect. I don't doubt that they had analysed his game, but they defenitly valued allot of factors besides his game. Like they did with Jessiman.

On Montoya, he is de facto the goalie his age group who is playing at the higest level, nobody his age is close. Marek Schwarz a backup and have been loaned to a 2nd tier league just to get ice time.

But I am also a little bit skeptical about his game, especially his lateral movement. Though he defenitly can still become pretty good.

Old
03-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Pizza

Edge - I think your points on Montoya are very well made. I'd say he and Staal run 1 & 2 in our prospect depth chart. I don't count Prucha or Lunqvist because at this point I consider them Rangers and NHL caliber players. I would also include them into a group that has taken the next step development wise.

As far as Jessiman......hmmm. I admit I am very biased when it comes to this kid. I very badly want him to succeed, but I don't want to make excuses for him either. I'm a bit sentimental and can't always leave that behind. Yet when I look at the Ducks and watch Getzlaf, I have to wonder what might have been. I still feel that development wise Jessiman suffers from having played a mere 80 games as a college athlete. In comparison Getzlaf played 264 games regular season & Playoffs for the Hitmen.

Old
03-31-2006, 08:40 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Edge - I think your points on Montoya are very well made. I'd say he and Staal run 1 & 2 in our prospect depth chart. I don't count Prucha or Lunqvist because at this point I consider them Rangers and NHL caliber players. I would also include them into a group that has taken the next step development wise.

As far as Jessiman......hmmm. I admit I am very biased when it comes to this kid. I very badly want him to succeed, but I don't want to make excuses for him either. I'm a bit sentimental and can't always leave that behind. Yet when I look at the Ducks and watch Getzlaf, I have to wonder what might have been. I still feel that development wise Jessiman suffers from having played a mere 80 games as a college athlete. In comparison Getzlaf played 264 games regular season & Playoffs for the Hitmen.
To add one more thing to the Jessiman argument. When scouts analyze any prospect they look at the skills, measurables and try to project future success. One "measureable" is size. If a player has size in the NHL he can dominate. Many players are drafted high just on that one attribute. In addition to size Jessiman rated highly in skating, hands, above average shot, strong character and intense work ethic. Work ethic and character are HIGH on the Rangers list. Was Jessiman a risk? ABSOLTELY. Yes, "IF" he puts it together he can be one of the most dominating players in the NHL. The type of player we rarely get at that age. "IF" he doesn't, then I still think he'd be a great third line grinder, hard nosed checker, Power Play obstruction, limited enforcer. We don't have anything like him. I'd STILL draft Jessiman and roll the dice if I had to do it all over again. Getzlaf is a nice player but I feel we might have gotten a player like him in last years draft or even this years draft. Players with Jessimans size AND skills don't come around often.

Closed Thread