HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hey Kings fans, which is it??

Old
03-30-2006, 10:06 PM
David A. Rainer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Hey Kings fans, which is it??

1. If this team is really as good as Leiweke thought it was, that means the players are underachieving, not playing to their capabilities and with little to no heart.

2. If it's the coach... well, let's be honest, Toe Blake himself couldn't help this team.

3. If they are playing as hard as they can, maybe that means this team wasn't as good as Leiweke thought. But how can that be o' wise one?

4. Or maybe its a little bit of underachieving players and this team just not being as good as Leiweke would lead you to believe? If so, can Leiweke fire himself as part of the offseason purge or will he be the only one in the organization to make a fatal error and keep his job?

So which is it?

I'm putting my money behind door #4.

03-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It's everything. The entire organization from top to bottom is full of losers. Look at how many members on this staff have experience with a Stanley Cup team. Not that experience with a championship team equates to having a better organization, but they have nobody within the organization that knows anything about winnning.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 10:09 PM
ILuvLA

#4 - we have a winner. Lieweke shot himself in the foot with his preseason comments about this being the best team since 1993. What a collossal (sp) misstatement. Typical Kings team. Start out strong as hell, end up skidding to close the season. It's time for a change from the top on down. End of story. I've just about had enough.

Last edited by ILuvLA: 03-30-2006 at 10:22 PM.
ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
David A. Rainer

Ding ding ding. We have winners! Guess you'll never be a member of the Kings organization.

As I said at the time Leiweke made those comments, how about you shut your mouth and stick to the business side of things and let your GM figure out if you have a good team or not. Leiweke knows jack about player personnel.

David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Big Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer

4. Or maybe its a little bit of underachieving players and this team just not being as good as Leiweke would lead you to believe? If so, can Leiweke fire himself as part of the offseason purge or will he be the only one in the organization to make a fatal error and keep his job?

Maybe USA Hockey will hire him as a consultant for the 2010 Olympic team.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Osprey

Like Ziggy suggested, the whole organization is stale, from the President to the GM to the coaches. Two of the coaches were let go, which was a great start. Next up is the GM and then possibly the President. This team needs men who have a real plan to be contenders and are not content with mediocrity.

Last edited by Osprey: 03-30-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 10:41 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
I got a simple solution and answer: Everything is crap

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
ILuvLA

I'm beginning to think that the Kings are a tax write-off for AEG - and they want to keep it that way. I have a co-worker who's a family friend of the Samueli's - According to himk the ducks are a hobby for Samueli's wife because he couldn't get an NBA team and had to keep the Pond up and running. Even it that's true - and I have my doubts, at least they have been winning lately, which is more that you can say for the Kings.

Old
03-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Quattro

Yeah, it's all Leiweke's fault. Keep ******* dreaming.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Kingz4ever

this team was never as good as lieweke said. he was just trying to sell tickets. they never really won consistently. I lay the blame on taylor for:

1. not upgrading the defense (we had stiffs like dempsey and weaver)
2. two unproven goalies
3. adding a has been with 10 concussions in roenick and another injury prone. val bure.

Kingz4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 11:09 PM
David A. Rainer

No where does it say that this is all Leiweke or all any single person's fault. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, every single player on the roster (except for Brown) should be playing for their jobs right now. There's enough fault to go around, including Leiweke. If everyone else is going to be gone at the end of this year, how about him as well?

David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Kingz4ever

I've always said Lieweke should step down as prez and bring in someone who actually knows hockey.

Kingz4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

03-30-2006, 11:38 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Say what???

Old
03-30-2006, 11:38 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

I don't think we have a bad team, it just seems to me that only a few of the players are actually giving more then 10%.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 12:35 AM
bland

To defend Leiweke, this was what we had to look forward to at the time of the comment:

- The acquisitions of Conroy, Roenick, Bure and Demitra
- Improved goaltending
- A year of solid experience for our youngsters
- Removal of whipping boys like Cechmanek, Modry and Stumpel

What a difference six months makes - on paper it was the best team in quite a while.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 12:57 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4ever
I've always said Lieweke should step down as prez and bring in someone who actually knows hockey.
Earlier in this season they made Taylor president of hockey operations and Shawn Hunter president of business operations. Leiweke's official title is CEO/Governor. To be honest I don't think Leiweke has much to do with the day to day running of the Kings. He's got so many other jobs going on with AEG. He just likes being quoted in the media.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
Say what???
Even if this team plays it's heart out, the personnel is just mis-managed.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 01:02 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Even if this team plays it's heart out, the personnel is just mis-managed.
Ok. Gotcha.

Old
03-31-2006, 01:13 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Year 7 of the 5 year plan is another step backwards. The organization is painfully thin, and the rest of the NHL (well a good two/thirds of the rest of the NHL) have blossoming prospects. Oh to be able to live in a city like San Jose and watch that team develop... or Atlanta... or Washington... or Pittsburgh... or Columbus... or Florida... these are all teams that will FAR surpass the Kings on the overall talent chart very shortly. This Kings team is not a young, up and coming team. This Kings team, decimated by injury and mediocrity, is swimming in quicksand, and next year GUESS WHAT... you have a WAY overpaid Norstrom, a horrifyingly bad Sopel, a totally overrated Miller ... all stuck in Kings uniforms and that's NOT a good thing. I like Dustin Brown, but I like Bernier a whole lot better... I like Pushkaryev, but Patrice Bergeron was the pick after... The Monarchs offer little in the way of hope... Knowing that Leiweke is guiding the fortunes of this team, there truly is little in the way of hope. It looked promising for about 3 weeks in October, but by the time everyone was fitted for blinders, the wheels came off the cart. Ryan, Kanko, Giuliano... they don't seem to be the level of minor league callups that say the Flyers trotted out when they were down in man games... and by the way, the Flyers are number ONE in man games lost, yet seem to have gotten pieces to the puzzle that allow them to compete for not only a playoff spot, but a shot at their division title. Then there's Sean Avery... I know you all love him, but guess what... he's not Claude Lemieux, he's not Darcy Tucker, he's not even Jon Sim... he's a marginal third line guy who really doesn't cause the opposition any concern. I loved when the broadcasters were saying that his yapping at Iginla would throw Jarome off his game. Yeah, uh huh... bridge, 20 dollars... watching Iginla score the game winning SHORTHANDED goal, priceless. Avery is a punk, and when push comes to shove, he's either on his *** or in the box and fifteen goals and a bunch of brash commentary does not a top 6 forward make.

"The Kings are tough to play against"... well, I don't think so, and neither do any of the good teams in the NHL... and the few bad ones that play the Kings close to even on most nights??? well, they all feel like they have a shot at 2 points on any given game night.

Fork meet steak... done like dinner.

The fish stinks from the head down. Leiweke is the problem, and once he's gone, you gut the fish and start frying.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
Year 7 of the 5 year plan is another step backwards. The organization is painfully thin, and the rest of the NHL (well a good two/thirds of the rest of the NHL) have blossoming prospects. Oh to be able to live in a city like San Jose and watch that team develop... or Atlanta... or Washington... or Pittsburgh... or Columbus... or Florida... these are all teams that will FAR surpass the Kings on the overall talent chart very shortly. This Kings team is not a young, up and coming team. This Kings team, decimated by injury and mediocrity, is swimming in quicksand, and next year GUESS WHAT... you have a WAY overpaid Norstrom, a horrifyingly bad Sopel, a totally overrated Miller ... all stuck in Kings uniforms and that's NOT a good thing. I like Dustin Brown, but I like Bernier a whole lot better... I like Pushkaryev, but Patrice Bergeron was the pick after... The Monarchs offer little in the way of hope... Knowing that Leiweke is guiding the fortunes of this team, there truly is little in the way of hope. It looked promising for about 3 weeks in October, but by the time everyone was fitted for blinders, the wheels came off the cart. Ryan, Kanko, Giuliano... they don't seem to be the level of minor league callups that say the Flyers trotted out when they were down in man games... and by the way, the Flyers are number ONE in man games lost, yet seem to have gotten pieces to the puzzle that allow them to compete for not only a playoff spot, but a shot at their division title. Then there's Sean Avery... I know you all love him, but guess what... he's not Claude Lemieux, he's not Darcy Tucker, he's not even Jon Sim... he's a marginal third line guy who really doesn't cause the opposition any concern. I loved when the broadcasters were saying that his yapping at Iginla would throw Jarome off his game. Yeah, uh huh... bridge, 20 dollars... watching Iginla score the game winning SHORTHANDED goal, priceless. Avery is a punk, and when push comes to shove, he's either on his *** or in the box and fifteen goals and a bunch of brash commentary does not a top 6 forward make.

"The Kings are tough to play against"... well, I don't think so, and neither do any of the good teams in the NHL... and the few bad ones that play the Kings close to even on most nights??? well, they all feel like they have a shot at 2 points on any given game night.

Fork meet steak... done like dinner.

The fish stinks from the head down. Leiweke is the problem, and once he's gone, you gut the fish and start frying.
Hey Tubby try taking a breath every once in a while when you go on a rant like that. I wouldn't want you to pass out.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 01:41 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland
To defend Leiweke, this was what we had to look forward to at the time of the comment:

- The acquisitions of Conroy, Roenick, Bure and Demitra
- Improved goaltending
- A year of solid experience for our youngsters
- Removal of whipping boys like Cechmanek, Modry and Stumpel

What a difference six months makes - on paper it was the best team in quite a while.

Yup. On paper the team was a 6-8th seed with the possibility of being better if Garon turned out to be legit.

Only problem was the of all our acquisitions (all of which everyone on this board liked, with the exception of jt on JR) the only one that turned out well, like we expected, was Demitra.

For me the season ended the moment the Olympics ended.

Without the offense to make up for Garon's slump everything went to hell.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 02:45 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Hey Tubby try taking a breath every once in a while when you go on a rant like that. I wouldn't want you to pass out.
I forgot Anaheim... Getzlaf, Perry, Lupul... the Kings will be second fiddle in Southern California for a long time to come...

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 04:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer

I firmly believe that this team was a playoff team at the start of the season. The Kings were arguably the best team in the NHL until Thanksgiving -- I don't believe that was an accident.

That said, it caught up to them, first it was inconsistency, then it was injuries, then it was more inconsistency and then it was the fact that the system wasn't built for the new NHL, and then some guys just didn't want to play for the coach.

Now -- let's see if Lieweike will hold up his end of the bargain. He demanded that the players better play -- they have not responded in the right way. Some of the players have, I will give some of them credit. I think some players took advantage of the additional offensive freedom they got and the result was terrible play and a whole lotta turnovers.

I don't think Torchetti will end up getting a fair shake at this. I think it was clear, while everyone hates Andy Murray, including the players, the coach was clearly not the problem.

While I don't think an entire roster facelift will be needed, what I would like to see is if Torchetti would accept an assistant coach role, and bring in a coach with an established resume. A coach who has accomplished some things at the NHL level.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 06:08 AM
HackandLube

Flames fan here.

I actually like LA and I hate to see them out of the playoffs like this. I'd much rather you guys be in than Vancouver or Anaheim.

Conroy is probably one of my favorite players and I was sad that he left because Sutter didn't want to offer him a long term contract. Iginla is half the player he used to be without Captain Craig.

You guys were battling for 1st in the NHL early in the season but it's just too bad that injuries to key guys is really what happened to your team in my opinion. Valeri Bure was useless in Calgary but he could've helped you. Shame about Demitra.

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote