Notices

Dale Hawerchuk Jets HOF Night: Nov.14,2017

Old
07-10-2017, 02:31 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Maybe the NHL will give us our history back.
NHL policy is that the history belongs to the franchise, not the city. Whole threads have been setup debating this. So.... not happening....

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
NHL policy is that the history belongs to the franchise, not the city. Whole threads have been setup debating this. So.... not happening....
Oh really?

This has inspired me to start a petition. I am going to lobby the NHL to officially give Winnipeg the right to use Jets 1.0 history. This has happened in other sports leagues (Cleveland Browns etc). I will be aiming for 1,000 signature, and will be presenting it to the NHL Board of Governors or True North. This is going to happen!

[IMG]http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/800*1262/jets_oilers_ELLETT.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Jets4Life: 07-10-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:26 AM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
That was actually every person in attendance madly clapping as loudly as they could.

And as for the notion that Ducky should be our head coach: we've been there done that. We had a coach with no NHL coaching experience. It wasn't pretty.

m.
Noel had NHL coaching experience.

Old
07-11-2017, 08:48 AM
its a process

I think the NBA switched to history belonging to cities a few years ago when Charlotte went back to being the Hornets. It just makes so much more sense.

its a process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 10:22 AM
TheDeuce

vCash: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Noel had NHL coaching experience.
Three months as an interim coach. I'll round that down to no NHL coaching experience.

m.

TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
Three months as an interim coach. I'll round that down to no NHL coaching experience.

m.
Nevertheless Noel had apprenticed as an NHL coach. Hawerchuk has not. He hasn't shown any interest in ever becoming an NHL coach and IIRC has stated publicly that he is not interested. By all accounts he is happy where he is.

If he wanted to coach in the NHL he should have started pursuing it 10-12 years ago. He didn't. That ship has sailed. At 54 he is a little old for a rookie NHL HC. Not that it is written in stone anywhere but it isn't usual.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 06:12 PM
heretik27

When do the tickets go on sale for these games to the general public? I wanna take my dad to the game.

heretik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 09:32 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

vCash: 50
This is awesome. As a kid living in edmonton during the Oilers glory years, Hawerchuk was always my answer against Wayne Gretzky.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
This is awesome. As a kid living in edmonton during the Oilers glory years, Hawerchuk was always my answer against Wayne Gretzky.
No question at all he was Winnipeg's answer to Gretzky. Nobody in the Jets organization could hold a candle to Ducky in the 80s.

Old
07-13-2017, 06:08 AM
angrymnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
No question at all he was Winnipeg's answer to Gretzky. Nobody in the Jets organization could hold a candle to Ducky in the 80s.
Nobody in many organizations. Still feel like he's a little underrated by hockey fans in general. I'd like to read some old newspaper or magazine articles concerning his stature in the league at the time.

Maybe its the local nostalgic fan in me but I always felt he was right up there after Gretz and Lemieux but nowadays he seems to get lumped in below a fair number of players. It's not how I remember the 80's.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 08:20 AM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
Nobody in many organizations. Still feel like he's a little underrated by hockey fans in general. I'd like to read some old newspaper or magazine articles concerning his stature in the league at the time.

Maybe its the local nostalgic fan in me but I always felt he was right up there after Gretz and Lemieux but nowadays he seems to get lumped in below a fair number of players. It's not how I remember the 80's.
I think it's because he played in Winnipeg that he didn't get the recognition he deserved. Had he played in Toronto it would have been equivalent to how Matthews is compared to McDavid these days.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 08:57 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post

The biggest snub last year was when he was not on the top 100 players of all time list.
What is he 13th on all time points list.?
Playing in Winnipeg and never winning a Stanley.....

He was pivotal in Canada winning that famous Canada Cup. Without Ducky we would all be speaking Russian as they would have taken over the hockey world!!!!! (Dramatic Sarcasm).......

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 02:10 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I think it's because he played in Winnipeg that he didn't get the recognition he deserved. Had he played in Toronto it would have been equivalent to how Matthews is compared to McDavid these days.

In part, yes but if Jets had ever managed to get by Gretz and the Oil in the PO's he would have acquired a lot more credibility. He just never got to that bigger stage.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 04:01 PM
antiqueslivers

I have much love for the ducky! And owe him an apology for our dog jumping in to his pool randomly back in the day.

antiqueslivers is online now   Reply With Quote