HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Are you sick of bad calls on broadcasts?

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
Are you sick of bad calls on broadcasts?

I am.

It started years ago on CBC with botched names and poor play analysis. Then I gave up on english play by play.

Now, I noticed it on RDS as well. Don't get me wrong, I like Houde. I think he calls a better game then many others but.... watching this last game it struck me... he makes poor descriptions too. Example: Higgins and a Washington player hit each other. The puck is between them and them butt against each other equally, no winner. A basic fight for the puck. Houde describes it as "another hit ON Higgins". As if he was getting batted around.

Is it that they cannot see well from the press box? Seriously. It happens so often, I wonder if they can see, or if they have ever played hockey at any level - enough to describe a play as it actually happens.

It seems that rarely play by play guys has the pulse of the game, the one on one battles.

Besides the point, but to make a matters worse... after the Wash/Habs game... RDS has Brunet describing Kovalev's plays. It was if Brunet was watching the playback for the first time. He got all the plays wrong. "Here he shoots the puck,.... eh.... no, he passes the puck." "Here he stick handles....eh... no he shoots from the high slot." The preparation that the "analysists" do is so bush league.

It seems that if you have been involved in pro hockey, you no longer have to work, you can just improvise on air. Yuck.

Whatta you think?

Old
03-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Clumsyhab

I thought that Houde was bad until I watch CBC, because of the HD broadcast and they are much worst. They always mess up with the names and always get the wrong player when there is a penalty. I watch the Leafs/Habs game this weekend and the guy keep saying that Ryder scored on the Markov controversial goal. I mean, Ryder shoots right while Markov shoots left, how could they mess uo on that one? Sportsnet has good commentators tho.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:39 PM
NBHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Whatta you think?
I think you need to get laid. Let it go, just let it go.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Montrealer

When I've gotten bored, I've tried (a couple of times) to do my own play-by-play.

It's exhausting, and I made a crapload of mistakes. Granted, I'm watching it on TV, but still, I admire their ability to get it right 99% of the time. Obviously you notice the mistakes those 1% of the time because they're pretty rare, but it doesn't bother me.

Old
03-30-2006, 11:57 PM
DicAnns

i don't really care about those TV analysts... but those radio @£¢±! (both in English AM800 and French AM730) really p!ss me off!
Most of the time you have no clue what's happening. You basically just know when a goal is scored.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Play-by-Play:

Errors are human , i can live with it because i know what's going on and i think he does a good job overall(better than some in english) . What piss me off is when the team play poorly and misses chances he sounds pissed like a homosexual beaver looking for love . 'Encore une chance raté par Zednik!..'

Keep you cool please.

Brunet :

Get him out of there , the guy has no clue. Do you really think they would even consider him if he wasent an ex-Hab ?

Old
03-31-2006, 12:49 AM
RedArmyMontreal*

could you get more whiny really

At least the guys on RDS aren't biais. They always re-analyse the play to make sure they didn't make a bad call. If you really want to know what's going on with the game, stick your two eyes on the TV

Old
03-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer
When I've gotten bored, I've tried (a couple of times) to do my own play-by-play.

It's exhausting, and I made a crapload of mistakes. Granted, I'm watching it on TV, but still, I admire their ability to get it right 99% of the time. Obviously you notice the mistakes those 1% of the time because they're pretty rare, but it doesn't bother me.
Well said, I totaly agree with you. Those guys are live for two and a half hours, and still manage to describe the game consistently. Remember the days SRC/TQS/TVA/RDS each had their own describer? Queneville, Bouchard, Bergeron, Pagé... ugh, horrible. Houle and Pedneault are the best two french speaking guys I've listend to.

Old
03-31-2006, 05:32 AM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Maybe. Sometimes.

But, what really pisses me off is the constant stroking of the Leaf fans feelings if, god forbid, the Leafs are getting pounded.

I am still pissed that during Montreal-Toronto game one (on TSN), once Montreal got up 4-0, Glen Healy proceeded on pointing out Montreal players that he "suspected" had illegal sticks. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Healy is a tool. He fits well with Maguire and Mackenzie (sometimes).

Old
03-31-2006, 05:36 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I'm sick of Pedneault.

Old
03-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHABSFAN
I think you need to get laid. Let it go, just let it go.
I will be visiting your GF as per your request.

Like I said in my post, I think Houde beats most of the guys on other networks, especially CBC. I just wonder if they are so high up in the rafters that they cannot tell what is happening on the ice level.

And as for "just using my eyes" .... alright....I'll have to try that.

Here I was using my .....

Old
03-31-2006, 09:25 AM
habs-stars2006

im surprised no one has mentioned the awful call last night on RDS. basically the guy is like" ryder to koivu to ryder ... but" Guess what, it was higgins to koivu to higgins and then goal. How can a broadcaster that does every habs game and that has seen higgins score so many times in the last 17 games, get him mixed up with ryder.

Old
03-31-2006, 09:28 AM
La Grosse Tendresse

Pednault absolutely sucks. He doesn't have any hindsight, he is constantly condescending by simply descriping simple plays using stupid expressions like "une punition d'indiscipline", "un tir de la zone priviliégié", and the always good "il n'était pas dans sa position de base". First, what the hell does your "position de base" has to do with a hook?! He always relies on those same stupid expressions. He knows nothing about being a hockey player, and seems to think of himself more as a teacher for idiots who know nothing about the sport than an analyst. He knows nothing about the game, all he knows is words. Plus, he keeps trying to make thing's up to make ends connect when he doesn't necessarily knows what he is talking about, no matter how false what he says is. And he is constantly repeating what Houle says, like:
H: "Belle passe de Higgins!"
P: "Oui, oui, c'était une passe."

Houde is not so bad, but what I hate is their obvious bias towards certain players. The Habs are outshooting the opposition 20-5, but when Souray misses inches above the net it's always "Et le tir est complèment raté... Quelle occasion manquée"... They seem to always be whining about the Habs play unless they are winning 6-2, and even then Zednik, Souray et al. couldn't do anything right. It's pretty ridiculous how they are always on the case of certain players, and always so negative, as if they could hit a 100mph shot on net 100% of the time.

Both those idiots have never played the game and it shows. There is a serious lack of respect towards the players by those two bozos who offer nothing insightful about the gamel.

Old
03-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB
Pednault absolutely sucks. He doesn't have any hindsight, he is constantly condescending by simply descriping simple plays using stupid expressions like "une punition d'indiscipline", "un tir de la zone priviliégié", and the always good "il n'était pas dans sa position de base". First, what the hell does your "position de base" has to do with a hook?! He always relies on those same stupid expressions. He knows nothing about being a hockey player, and seems to think of himself more as a teacher for idiots who know nothing about the sport than an analyst. He knows nothing about the game, all he knows is words. Plus, he keeps trying to make thing's up to make ends connect when he doesn't necessarily knows what he is talking about, no matter how false what he says is. And he is constantly repeating what Houle says, like:
H: "Belle passe de Higgins!"
P: "Oui, oui, c'était une passe."

Houde is not so bad, but what I hate is their obvious bias towards certain players. The Habs are outshooting the opposition 20-5, but when Souray misses inches above the net it's always "Et le tir est complèment raté... Quelle occasion manquée"... They seem to always be whining about the Habs play unless they are winning 6-2, and even then Zednik, Souray et al. couldn't do anything right. It's pretty ridiculous how they are always on the case of certain players, and always so negative, as if they could hit a 100mph shot on net 100% of the time.

Both those idiots have never played the game and it shows. There is a serious lack of respect towards the players by those two bozos who offer nothing insightful about the gamel.
I agree with everything Weeb just said. I can't wait for the RDS crew to be on strike.

Old
03-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacal Visionary
I am still pissed that during Montreal-Toronto game one (on TSN), once Montreal got up 4-0, Glen Healy proceeded on pointing out Montreal players that he "suspected" had illegal sticks. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Healy is a tool. He fits well with Maguire and Mackenzie (sometimes).
Not that I'm a Maguire fan at all, but compared to Healy he is god. Healy is alsolutely horrible. And McKenzie is waaay above Maguire and should never have his name mentioned in the same sentence as Homer Healy.

Gotta agree with ya, about the suspected illegal stick thing. I swear Healy was trying to get some one on the Leafs attention with that. The world would be a way better place if Glen Healy was never involved in any future habs broadcasts!!!!!

03-31-2006, 10:23 AM
BORAT

anyone remember Jose Thibodeau

LEts just say Jose THIBODEAU'D him ALL the way to a Hart and Vezina

Old
03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacal Visionary
Maybe. Sometimes.

But, what really pisses me off is the constant stroking of the Leaf fans feelings if, god forbid, the Leafs are getting pounded.

Yah hahhahahaha !

I remember that ! EUHHHHHHHHHHHH look at Higgins stick !!! he shaved it off

I wanted to destroy him

Old
03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs-stars2006
im surprised no one has mentioned the awful call last night on RDS. basically the guy is like" ryder to koivu to ryder ... but" Guess what, it was higgins to koivu to higgins and then goal. How can a broadcaster that does every habs game and that has seen higgins score so many times in the last 17 games, get him mixed up with ryder.
Ryder and Higgins have similar builds and skating postures and I've mixed them up a few times at quick glance.

Old
03-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT
anyone remember Jose Thibodeau

LEts just say Jose THIBODEAU'D him ALL the way to a Hart and Vezina
Wasn't it Jocelyn Thibodeau that he was called?

Old
03-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Guriken

The only times they annoy me is when they can't figure out a play even if it's the third time we see it on the replay... and Pednault sometimes sees too much negativity, it's like he is reticent to underline some good plays, only bad ones.

Old
03-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
Ryder and Higgins have similar builds and skating postures and I've mixed them up a few times at quick glance.
Wow,1 shoots Left the other shoots right!

Old
03-31-2006, 02:04 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life
Wow,1 shoots Left the other shoots right!

Can't keep it all straight!

Old
03-31-2006, 02:21 PM
ti-vite

The best games I ever watched were when the Radio-Canada guys were on strike.

All you could hear was the players, the skating (yes: swoosh swoosh), the crowd.

When the commentators came back, even my wife said it was better without them!
Quote:
he sounds pissed like a homosexual beaver looking for love
link?

Old
03-31-2006, 02:29 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
The best games I ever watched were when the Radio-Canada guys were on strike.

All you could hear was the players, the skating (yes: swoosh swoosh), the crowd.

When the commentators came back, even my wife said it was better without them!

link?
Oh... that was the good ol' days... I remember that too. Never seen better hockey, out of going at the Bell Center.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:34 PM
ti-vite

The best part was the replays coming up without notice or commentary. Every analysis I made was right...

Me: 'You see his left skate is jsut not parallel with...bla bla...(minutes later)...cool eh?'
Wife:'Sorry were you talking to me?'

Closed Thread