HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What line is the better one?

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2006, 12:16 AM
two out of three*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
What line is the better one?

Sedin-Sedin-Carter?

or

Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson?

The latter has more points for sure.. But what line is better? Is it even a question?

Old
03-31-2006, 12:27 AM
19nazzy

The Ottawa line no question...

Old
03-31-2006, 12:30 AM
sparr0w

Sedin - Sedin - Alfredsson.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:32 AM
Roy G Biv*

Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson is rarely together anymore.

This line has probably spent just as much of the season apart.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:36 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

I'm a Canucks fan, and I think that the Sedin line conquers all because of their chemistry. Is that what you were looking for? Cause as a Nucks fan, I think the Sedins rival the Gretzky - Kurri duo.

So yeah, no question. The Sedin line. I'd throw in one of the smilies here, but I'm not a smily kind of guy.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:42 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson would burn the West .

Old
03-31-2006, 12:55 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by battle axe
I'm a Canucks fan, and I think that the Sedin line conquers all because of their chemistry. Is that what you were looking for? Cause as a Nucks fan, I think the Sedins rival the Gretzky - Kurri duo.

So yeah, no question. The Sedin line. I'd throw in one of the smilies here, but I'm not a smily kind of guy.
They dont say you guys have the best weed for no reason.

Old
03-31-2006, 01:05 AM
Balej20*

Straka/Prucha-Nylander-Jagr

Old
03-31-2006, 01:08 AM
Phanuthier*

Sedins

Old
03-31-2006, 01:19 AM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson.

Not to be a homer, but I don't think that this is close.

Nobody on the Sedin-Sedin-Carter line is as good as anybody on the Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line.

The Sedin-Sedin-Carter line is good, but Ottawa's line has 3 of the top 20 forwards in the NHL, and 2 of the top 10 forwards in the NHL (Alfredsson and Heatley).

Old
03-31-2006, 01:19 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Best players, then it is Ottawas line for sure.
Chemistry...well I am not sure, think that one might go to the Sedins and Carter but give the Cash line one more season and see if they can get even better cause it is not like they lack much. as it is.

Old
03-31-2006, 01:21 AM
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy
Best players, then it is Ottawas line for sure.
Chemistry...well I am not sure, think that one might go to the Sedins and Carter but give the Cash line one more season and see if they can get even better cause it is not like they lack much. as it is.
What do you mean by "chemistry"? How do you measure "chemistry"?

Both lines are scoring lines, and thus the measure of "chemistry" should be "total points produced".

I mean, yes the Sedin line might be able to put a lot of pressure on, and cycle the puck for 40-50 seconds at at a time, and play keep-away with the puck for a full shift.

But scoring lines are meant to produce, not to simply put on a puck control display.

And Ottawa's line blows Vancouver's line out of the water in production.

Old
03-31-2006, 01:31 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferns8916

Both lines are scoring lines, and thus the measure of "chemistry" should be "total points produced".

I mean, yes the Sedin line might be able to put a lot of pressure on, and cycle the puck for 40-50 seconds at at a time, and play keep-away with the puck for a full shift.

But scoring lines are meant to produce, not to simply put on a puck control display.

And Ottawa's line blows Vancouver's line out of the water in production.
The Sedin line does produce. But I agree with you that the Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line is better. However, they have not been together for parts of the year which leads me to believe they won't be a line heading into the playoffs (so teams can't just focus on one line), which would say that the Sedins and Carter as a line, are better than the Alfredsson line. But IMO, all the players on Alfredsson's line are more talented than anyone on the Sedin line.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:15 AM
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit
The Sedin line does produce. But I agree with you that the Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line is better. However, they have not been together for parts of the year which leads me to believe they won't be a line heading into the playoffs (so teams can't just focus on one line), which would say that the Sedins and Carter as a line, are better than the Alfredsson line. But IMO, all the players on Alfredsson's line are more talented than anyone on the Sedin line.
Of course the Sedin line produces. But they don't produce nearly as much as Ottawa's line. That was all I was saying.

As for the Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line being together for the playoffs? You are right. They might not be together in the playoffs, so that teams simply can't focus on one line.

However, with Havlat coming back, they could keep the big line together for the playoffs since Havlat's presence on the 2nd line eliminates teams from focussing too much on the big line.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:24 AM
Crows*

Don't forget, The sedins average around 4 less minutes per game then the CASH line.... over the entire season the sedins have averaged around 16 min per game.. lately.. around 18... this includes time PENALTY killing.

The sedins for the amount of average ice time given are probbaly the most productive playes in the entire NHL.

Carter does not penaly kill.. so carter is averaging around 14-15 min per night. Without the PK the sedins average around 14-15 min a night "attack time"

Daniel: 21 goals 68 points
Henrik: 19 goals 71 points
Carter 30 goals........

That's a first line on most teams..... this is a second line.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:29 AM
Release The Lehner

If you have to think about the answer to that question you are a GIANT Canuck homer.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:31 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Heatley Spezza Alfredsson against the Canucks registered 1 shot and no points in a loss

Sedin line got 2 points that game IIRC

Old
03-31-2006, 02:32 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
If you have to think about the answer to that question you are a GIANT Canuck homer.
Don't get me wrong, the Ottawa line has vastly superior individual talents, but the Sedin line works MUCH better as a unit and has MUCH greater chemistry.

The latter is what we're going for in this thread. If you're asking me for the individual talent levels of the six players, I'd rank the Ottawa players 1-3 and the Canuck players 4-6... but in the context of the thread, I must go with the Sedin line. I hope I'm clear enough.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
I am such a homer.

No, wait...

Old
03-31-2006, 02:41 AM
Release The Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Don't get me wrong, the Ottawa line has vastly superior individual talents, but the Sedin line works MUCH better as a unit and has MUCH greater chemistry.

The latter is what we're going for in this thread. If you're asking me for the individual talent levels of the six players, I'd rank the Ottawa players 1-3 and the Canuck players 4-6... but in the context of the thread, I must go with the Sedin line. I hope I'm clear enough.
Please define "Chemistry".

Is it points per game? Points per minute played? Points per 5-on-5 minute played? Goals scored with atleast 2 members of the line figuring in on the goal?

Old
03-31-2006, 02:42 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferns8916

So put Jaromir Jagr with two ECHL players and that line will have more "chemistry" than Pandolfo-Madden-Stevenson of 2003? Gimme a break

Old
03-31-2006, 02:44 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Please define "Chemistry".

Is it points per game? Points per minute played? Points per 5-on-5 minute played? Goals scored with atleast 2 members of the line figuring in on the goal?
Do you watch the game of hockey or do you scroll up and down the scoring sheet in the newspaper?

Old
03-31-2006, 02:49 AM
Release The Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Do you watch the game of hockey or do you scroll up and down the scoring sheet in the newspaper?
So what's "Chemistry"?

I'd say when 3 players work together so well that they are commonly refered to as the best line in the NHL that they've got pretty good chemistry. No?

The question wasn't even about "Chemistry" in the first place though. It asked which was the BETTER line. So, ........

Trade Proposal:

Alfredsson + Heatley + Spezza
for
Sedin + Sedin + Carter

Which side wins that deal?

Old
03-31-2006, 02:52 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Trade Proposal:

Alfredsson + Heatley + Spezza
for
Sedin + Sedin + Carter

Which side wins that deal?
Ottawa. I'd rather have the Sedin's combo.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:53 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

When you talk about a better line, you're talking about which group of players being more effective as a unit, not the sum of the parts of each individual player.

The Sedin line is the most consistent two way line I've ever seen. They're almost flawless defensively and lately they can't even have a shift without getting a good scoring chance or drawing a penalty.

If I had to define great chemistry, I'd say it's when a group of players working together become light years better than the sum of the parts. This is not the case with Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson since they're each incredible players in their own right. This is definitely the case with Sedin-Sedin-Carter.

Closed Thread