Notices

1290 am - Part VI

Old
07-07-2017, 01:15 PM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezeric View Post
No media members from out east know anything nor care about the jets. Didn't tsn have the jets top 4 without trouba and jmo on UFA day?
You'd think TSN would give more love to the Jets given it's one of the few NHL contracts they retain.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 02:24 PM
broinwhyteridge

Pretty valid IMO discussion this morning along the lines that the Jets could be better and still miss the post season again next season given the strength of the Central and the West in general... could be very accurate.

Old
07-07-2017, 02:34 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
Pretty valid IMO discussion this morning along the lines that the Jets could be better and still miss the post season again next season given the strength of the Central and the West in general... could be very accurate.
Maybe but if they take care of business and go past the 100 point level which I predicted then they will be fine.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 03:51 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Sure but once again I feel that the other teams in the central are getting overrated by our media guys. If we take care of our own business we will be fine.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
CFL: 60 is my jam. Been asking for that for a while. I'll enjoy that show every week on the website.

Best part: Not a goddamn call in show. If I turn on my radio and hear some fan giving a "HOT TAEK" I just immediately switch to CBC,

but I guess that's just me. Considering the amount of time they spend on call in through the week, I guess it does a good enough number for them.

Last edited by Tom ServoMST3K: 07-07-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Bristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Sure but once again I feel that the other teams in the central are getting overrated by our media guys. If we take care of our own business we will be fine.
Yeah, it's like they aren't aware that we went 19-8-2 against the Central. We scored 101 goals in those 29 games, and allowed only 73. We're good against our division rivals, and it's not like this was a flukey season, for example - we've owned Chicago for two years.

We've played poorly against the Pacific, and we're a bit better than .500 against the entire Eastern conference. THAT is where we need to improve.

Forget the Central.

Edit: Further to my point - we tied Chicago for top spot for games within the division, and we had a better goal differential. 40 of a possible 58 pts.

Last edited by Bristo: 07-07-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Bristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 05:15 PM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
It's valid to a degree. But it's just as easy to make the argument that things could play out in such a way that one or two of those strong teams could suffer a fate similar to the Jets last year - tons of injuries and some bad goalie work. I mean the Jets weren't that far from a PO spot last year. A bit more luck and they could have been in. It's not really any more valid to say that all the stuff other teams have done in the off season to get better will pay off than it is to say the stuff the Jets have done will pay off. It's never going to be easy. If the Jets improve enough to get upwards of 94 points this season they're likely in and one of the other teams is now out...same as every year.

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 09:49 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Entire Big Show this morning being spent talking about a player putting hands on an official.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Bristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Entire Big Show this morning being spent talking about a player putting hands on an official.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
I just don't get how a new commissioner doesn't take the opportunity to lay a whooping on a player for doing that. 1 game suspension is largely meaningless.

Bristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 09:21 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

CFL suspensions
All Star baseball
Golf
Tennis
UFC-Boxing match
MyPillow

We've reached peak snooze fest season folks.

Old
07-12-2017, 11:18 AM
SensibleGuy

yeah it's definitely not good sports radio time right now...I could very very easily get through life if I never heard another thing about the UFC boxing crap...

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 11:35 AM
broinwhyteridge

I am possibly alone in this but I wish they had a 1 or 2 hour wrestling show one week night evening.

Pros: less Rome, the wife hates wrestling so me listening to this would be payback for some of the indignities I put up with.

Cons: ?

Old
07-12-2017, 11:41 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
CFL suspensions
All Star baseball
Golf
Tennis
UFC-Boxing match
MyPillow

Yea I am not a baseball fan so sports kind of takes a dip for me from July 2nd until the NFL gets going. I don't mind the CFL and keep an eye on it but the summer is slower for sports when you don't have passion for baseball.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:15 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Oh, and don't forget the paid interview with Assiniboine Downs every week just after 4pm! Riveting stuff!

Old
07-12-2017, 12:17 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea I am not a baseball fan so sports kind of takes a dip for me from July 2nd until the NFL gets going. I don't mind the CFL and keep an eye on it but the summer is slower for sports when you don't have passion for baseball.
I'm in exact same boat. NFL and Jets is why I listen to 1290. I'm a Bomber fan, but the week to week stuff doesn't interest me. Just like to watch the games.

NHL and NFL training camps can't start soon enough!

Old
07-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Oh, and don't forget the paid interview with Assiniboine Downs every week just after 4pm! Riveting stuff!
Don't hate on the ponies man.

Anyways as pointed out this is the slow season in sports. You can talk CFL, but there's only 4 games a week at most. You can talk some MLB, but not everyone is in to that (and with 162 games in a season no individual game is all that important).

I know we're all huge NHL marks (or else why would we be on a hockey discussion board in the middle of July) but there is literally nothing going on in the world of the Jets right now.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:34 PM
WaveRaven

vCash: 109
How about some local content all year long ! I hear a rumour that sports not televised on TSN are played here all the time !

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
I am possibly alone in this but I wish they had a 1 or 2 hour wrestling show one week night evening.

Pros: less Rome, the wife hates wrestling so me listening to this would be payback for some of the indignities I put up with.

Cons: ?
Cons: It has about as much to do with sports as the Miss America Pageant does.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
How about some local content all year long ! I hear a rumour that sports not televised on TSN are played here all the time !
Well someone was just dumping on them for covering a local sport like horseracing.

But what kind of local sports are you thinking of? The Goldeyes I guess? But beyond that... you're going to be talking about purely amateur sports. Plus the problem is then they'd have to go and send someone in to cover those sports. It's much cheaper to just get your radio hosts to do "takes" on stuff already in the news, than to go out and independently report on sporting events.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:27 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
CFL suspensions
All Star baseball
Golf
Tennis
UFC-Boxing match
MyPillow

You do realize there are more sports being played in the world than ice hockey right. People on this forum want their hockey fix, but it is the so called off season. If all TSN talked about were the Jets, it would get pretty repetitive pretty quick. Kind of like some of the forums around here.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:48 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
You do realize there are more sports being played in the world than ice hockey right. People on this forum want their hockey fix, but it is the so called off season. If all TSN talked about were the Jets, it would get pretty repetitive pretty quick. Kind of like some of the forums around here.
Without the Jets there wouldn't be TSN1290. Can't forget that.

I wish they would dedicate more time to Jets prospects so we can learn more about them. Or catch up with current players/coaches to see what they're doing in offseason. I dunno...whatever it takes to get this excessive golf talk off the radio.

Old
07-12-2017, 02:59 PM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

You guys should listen to hockey podcasts instead of relying on local talk radio for your hockey fix. There are many good ones to keep you occupied in your commutes and whenever you wanna hear some hockey talk

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 03:07 PM
WaveRaven

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Well someone was just dumping on them for covering a local sport like horseracing.

But what kind of local sports are you thinking of? The Goldeyes I guess? But beyond that... you're going to be talking about purely amateur sports. Plus the problem is then they'd have to go and send someone in to cover those sports. It's much cheaper to just get your radio hosts to do "takes" on stuff already in the news, than to go out and independently report on sporting events.
Well they could talk about whatever is coming up in the province or locals doing well elsewhere. Spend 5 minutes here or there. I like local angles hearing about locals doing well in whatever sport that may be. Have officials of those sports on. And you can bet they would love the air time.

We have a lot of great amateur sports going on all the time not just the pros.

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 03:21 PM
DougieSmail

July: The sports abyss

DougieSmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Without the Jets there wouldn't be TSN1290. Can't forget that.

I wish they would dedicate more time to Jets prospects so we can learn more about them. Or catch up with current players/coaches to see what they're doing in offseason. I dunno...whatever it takes to get this excessive golf talk off the radio.
Exactly, close to the only time we hear about our prospects is when we draft them, when they sign and if they are elite or their team does really well.

In this dead time of the summer they could devote time to reviewing each draft and focusing on the players who are still in the system and even touching on the ones that didn't pan out. They have lots of time to kill. A couple of segments per week for the next month and a half would be great. If I wasn't so lazy I would have sent a message to Hustler.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote