HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Players Tribune - "Nashville" by Pekka Rinne

Old
07-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
The Players Tribune - "Nashville" by Pekka Rinne

I'll just leave this here for everyone to read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/pe...nne-nashville/

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Yukon Cornellis
aka Phoneguy

vCash: 500
Great read. Thanks for putting up the link. Got shivers down my spine a time or two, reliving the playoffs.

Yukon Cornellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Jonesey
Dept. of Defense

There's water in my eyes, and it's not rain.

Old
07-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Gh24

Amazing piece that reflects so much of what you guys have been telling about the team, the city and the journey from the perspective of long time fans. Also loved the part about P.K. and his personality. Puts so much of the locker room speculation behind.

Gh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 10:03 AM
belle

Thank you for providing that link. A must read.

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 10:08 AM
predhead1

Great article - captures a lot of the emotion of the playoff run. Getting a little misty in here . . .

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

No, you have dirt in your eye.

All the progress I made getting over game 6... boy it feels like it was yesterday again. I hope we win a cup for Pekka next year.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Hockey POTUS

Great read. Thanks for posting.

Hockey POTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 11:10 AM
JustaFinnishGuy

Now that whole piece made me just want us to win so bad for Peks
Feels bad getting to know how he felt instantly after the game and how much he loved playing this season

JustaFinnishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 11:27 AM
FossilFndr

I was hearing Pekka's voice in my head as I read that.

Lets Go Preds

FossilFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

A very good read, indeed.

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Okay, this cold, calculating, cynical* woman is tearing up and has a lump in her throat. We were in this together and we'll be there again. I wanted the team to achieve this for Pekka, and you can bet I want it even more now. What good guys we have on this team. I'd like to see us get Neal back somehow. He deserves to be a Pred.

Peks is right. This city has embraced hockey. Little love affair going on with the newbies. It's cute!

I'm still sad because of the way this season ended, cute little girl video be damned. I'm struggling with how the summer has been condensed. I'm just not ready emotionally or mentally. I didn't watch the awards. I did keep up with the draft but I didn't make it to the prospect game like I usually do--it was just too soon to go to the arena again for me.

But come September, I'll be back there for Preseason and I can't wait to see that banner hung on October 10. I am so proud of this team!

*a former boyfriend called me that, but to be fair we weren't talking about hockey at the time.

Last edited by Adz: 07-05-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: too many words
Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 12:24 PM
TitansVolsPreds615

I started actively keeping up with the Preds about the time Pekka came up and made his first start. I remember him bouncing up and down between the AHL and NHL and battling with Dan Ellis for the starting job. I remember the year I finally convinced by dad to get the 7 game ticket package that really solidified my love for the team as a young teen. I have since moved back to Nashville and have been a full STH for 3 years and signed on for 3 more. Pekka to me feels like the Preds family dog and I'll be sad to see him go.

TitansVolsPreds615 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 02:59 PM
cynicalcitizen

I go to a few Predators games per year from out of town, some years more than others. I have always thought it was cool that I was in the arena the night Pekka made his Nashville debut. Pekka just took that interesting fact and made it special by writing what he put forth here. Wow!

cynicalcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 05:53 PM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

I cried reading this, ****.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 11:51 PM
sparkle twin
Love you, Nashville

What a great article.

I love Pekka, he's genuinely one of the nicest people I have ever met and I'm glad he's a Predator.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 07:37 AM
KurtAngle

"And you’d hear about how the team was never really a contender — and no one seemed to mind."

I never bought into the notion Nashville had to "become" anything, like "we are a hockey town" or being a "big league" city nonsense.

But, one thing I do hope we are getting rid of is the Plaster influence we've had for decades. The old "hey, he's good in the community/good guy" notion that kept Trotz, Fisher, and so many other here for way too long.

And, I do hope we get to the point of true fandom and less "Preds as a party" people who just want to hang out just because.

KurtAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 07:44 AM
hockey diva

Kurt, every fan base has that element. Where do you think all the new Hawks fans came from?

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngle View Post
"And you’d hear about how the team was never really a contender — and no one seemed to mind."

I never bought into the notion Nashville had to "become" anything, like "we are a hockey town" or being a "big league" city nonsense.

But, one thing I do hope we are getting rid of is the Plaster influence we've had for decades. The old "hey, he's good in the community/good guy" notion that kept Trotz, Fisher, and so many other here for way too long.

And, I do hope we get to the point of true fandom and less "Preds as a party" people who just want to hang out just because.
As for the first part he's saying it from a purely player's perspective. If it bothers him/them there were probably other circumstances surrounding why, especially the long term players here.

As for the last part, I agree, but I think it's an inevitable clash of the in-arena show the team puts on, the natural live excitement of the sport itself, and the ever-rising influx of new residents, many of them young professionals. However, to your point, I can get behind the notion that a lot of these new people are either A.) casually interested in hockey from past experience with no real rooting interest (yet) or B.) people who know almost nothing about hockey and treat it the same way people treat going to a Sounds game. The aforementioned "here for the party" crowd. I do think, though, that the numbers of people who fall into category A are increasingly caring about the team (even though it may not always look like it) and the people in category B are decreasing. But, as the post above said, there's almost always going to be that element no matter what team or sport it is. In the grand scheme of things I think we have it pretty damn good compared to most teams.

But I digress, bless you Pekka.

Old
07-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Great article. Fantastic.

07-06-2017, 08:47 AM
KurtAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Kurt, every fan base has that element. Where do you think all the new Hawks fans came from?
Maybe I came off a bit too negative, and I agree, same with Bama football, Duke basketball, Cowboy fans, etc.

On second thought, you are right and at least it generates interest.

KurtAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

I find it strange that he had not heard of Nashville when he was drafted. When in hindsight it seems that we were the only team interested in drafting him. He was surely interviewed by the team and scouts before the draft. I guess I just assumed draftees are asked "what do you know about Nashville?" during the interview process.

The PK stuff was eye opening. I make no bones about my love for Weber and how the trade hurt me personally (Since it literally almost killed me! When it popped up on my phone I was driving on I40 and nearly wrecked!!!). I never held it against PK and was wowed at his talent and leadership. Now I wonder what the heck Montreal was thinking with that trade.

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

Don't read too much into the no one seemed to mind about winning comment. It was probably as simple as people he interacted with were genuinely polite and wouldn't berate him like Toronto or NY or wherever would of if they met him on the street.

Preds Partisan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

It's so, so great; read it after the link was posted on the main boards this afternoon. Peks will go down as one of my all-time favorite players when all is said and done, just a kind and amiable guy who has been a critical component of so many great memories for this franchise.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I find it strange that he had not heard of Nashville when he was drafted. When in hindsight it seems that we were the only team interested in drafting him. He was surely interviewed by the team and scouts before the draft. I guess I just assumed draftees are asked "what do you know about Nashville?" during the interview process.

The PK stuff was eye opening. I make no bones about my love for Weber and how the trade hurt me personally (Since it literally almost killed me! When it popped up on my phone I was driving on I40 and nearly wrecked!!!). I never held it against PK and was wowed at his talent and leadership. Now I wonder what the heck Montreal was thinking with that trade.
Considering how late he was drafted, I doubt there was much interaction between the team and Pekka if any at all. They blindly took a chance on him. I think it's also highly possible that he had heard of "the Predators" but not Nashville itself.