HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Pitt adding NCAA D1 hockey?

Old
07-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Captain Crash

vCash: 500
Pitt adding NCAA D1 hockey?

Could the University of Pittsburgh be working on a move to join Hockey East? The Hockey Writers are reporting that there's been some work behind the scenes by the university and Penguins to do just that.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...-illinois-pitt

Captain Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Sparty

Get them in the Big Ten. Get the conference back to an even number and creates a nice rivalry with Penn State.

Sparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 05:22 PM
CrazyEddie20
I lean like a cholo

There are plenty of schools who have looked at adding hockey, but the money is the biggest factor. The operating budget for an NCAA Division I team can range from $800K to $4M. Not cheap.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Captain Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 View Post
There are plenty of schools who have looked at adding hockey, but the money is the biggest factor. The operating budget for an NCAA Division I team can range from $800K to $4M. Not cheap.
Of course it doesn't come cheap. But if the article is credible, then it would seem Pitt is a step ahead of that with getting direct assistance from an NHL team and apparently having a big donor the likes of Pegula in the wings. If all that is true, it's much more than a typical case of a university that has "looked at adding hockey"

Captain Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Bonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 View Post
Plus the two newest teams had huge start-up donations, well into eight figures. On-campus rink is almost a must.

Then there's Title IX considerations.

Would love to see it happen but am always skeptical when I see rumblings about "new" Division I programs.

Bonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2017, 07:47 PM
BOS358
Rookie User

Bonk hit the nail on the head with his post. As for conferences (IF it moves beyond speculation,) B1G would be the most likely fit due to geography and the fact that Pitt would help balance out the schedule.

That said, 97% of these "(School) adding hockey" posts on this board are worth the paper they're printed on.

BOS358 is offline   Reply With Quote