Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hellebuyck Files for Arbitration

Old
07-05-2017, 11:21 PM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 50
Hellebuyck Files for Arbitration

Apparently... As per a website I don't seem to be able to link. Hockey Feed something.... fake?

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 11:27 PM
rehf
Fueled by Maurice

He did, and it's not a big deal. It's business and there should be no ill feeling towards either parties.

rehf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 11:34 PM
WerdnaG
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Pretty sure this has happened every single year.

WerdnaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Arthur Fonzarelli

vCash: 1804
Yeah bigger news on facebook than here.

He filed, that's his right. No hard feelings. Maybe he'll get a few hundred grand extra, maybe not.

Arthur Fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 11:38 PM
Unholy goalie

Yea, this is becoming routine among RFAs.

Unholy goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 12:46 AM
10Ducky10

It won't see arbitration but I think now that Mason is here, Helle won't be getting 2.5m or whatever some said. I'd give him 2 x 1.75m. It's a show me contract and ends when Mason's does. If he is going to be the nomber one, re-sign him. If not, re-sign Mason. I am anxious to see what Comrie does this year with a better team in front of him.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 12:49 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehf View Post
He did, and it's not a big deal. It's business and there should be no ill feeling towards either parties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy goalie View Post
Yea, this is becoming routine among RFAs.

It is true that it is common for RFA's to elect arbitration. The issue here becomes whether he signs before the hearing or not. Nearly every single player that has actually gone to a hearing has found himself in a different uniform 1-2 years later. It's incredibly rare that a player stays in an organization once the hearing has happened. From what I understand the hearings are pretty brutal and it sours relationships pretty badly.

Luckily most players do end up signing before the hearings. It is nothing to be concerned about until the hearing occurs.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 01:37 AM
avtarb

another garbage player demanding more money

get em out of here... trade him for picks

avtarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 01:43 AM
matthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtarb View Post
another garbage player demanding more money

get em out of here... trade him for picks
Wouldn't mind another 1st Round pick next year... maybe he's worth that but I'm not sure if that would be a great idea(to get rid of him, as the biggest problem for our organization has always been goaltending and he looks to be our future(even though we do have Comrie).

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 01:45 AM
10Ducky10

Our starting position is Mason's to lose.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 04:23 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Prediction:

2 ye deal with salary rising in 2nd year.

$1.5M & $2.5M = AAV $2.0M

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 06:04 AM
Maukkis
ScheifElite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
It is true that it is common for RFA's to elect arbitration. The issue here becomes whether he signs before the hearing or not. Nearly every single player that has actually gone to a hearing has found himself in a different uniform 1-2 years later. It's incredibly rare that a player stays in an organization once the hearing has happened. From what I understand the hearings are pretty brutal and it sours relationships pretty badly.

Luckily most players do end up signing before the hearings. It is nothing to be concerned about until the hearing occurs.
Isn't Hoffman one of those who re-signed after going through a hearing (and being absolutely demolished by the arbitrator)? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any others.

Maukkis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 06:09 AM
ERYX
'Pegger in Exile

vCash: 1250
I guess this is common, but in this case given Helle's performance last year it runs me a bit the wrong way. If you want more money how about don't play like ****?

ERYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 06:20 AM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

Mikael Granlund is rumored to file for arbitration also, but his agent put a nice spin to it: it's an alternative for a holdout, and allows the player to be on the roster at the time he needs to be, with the salary issue solved for the time being and the can kicked onwards for a year or two.

I would guess that if it is possible to make the numbers to meet, the team and the player can do it without the hearing, and if you go to the hearing it's because the parties are too far away from each other to begin with and the resolution will not be to someone's/anyone's liking.

But, if the team uses its right to walk away from an expensive resolution to a player-initiated arbitration, the player will be UFA I guess and if he can find a better contract on the market then he kind of must've been right in the amount he set his own price tag for.

Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 07:23 AM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERYX View Post
I guess this is common, but in this case given Helle's performance last year it runs me a bit the wrong way. If you want more money how about don't play like ****?
Why did they give Mason 4.1 then? He played like **** last year too!

Last edited by aqsw: 07-06-2017 at 08:41 AM.
aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:41 AM
ERYX
'Pegger in Exile

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Why did they give Mason 4.1 then? He played like **** last year too!
He did, but unlike Hellebuyck, Mason has a track record in the NHL where he has put up very good numbers. Helle hasn't proved anything at the NHL level yet.

ERYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:43 AM
JJ McCubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maukkis View Post
Isn't Hoffman one of those who re-signed after going through a hearing (and being absolutely demolished by the arbitrator)? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any others.
I think Barrie re-signed last year after his arbitration hearing.

JJ McCubbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:44 AM
BB88

Isn't 1 point of this that is pushes the 2 sides to make a deal quicker and means negotiations can't continue throughout the summer?

BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:49 AM
JetBlue420

John Gibson probably a comp here... 2.3 for him. Helle probably gets 1.5 as hes less proven.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 10:33 AM
mcpw
WPG

Grubauer 1 year 1.5M

mcpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 10:49 AM
cbcwpg

https://www.thoughtco.com/nhl-salary...lained-2778981

NHL Salary Arbitration Explained

Thought I would just post this link. One interesting point, because we all like to compare players to other players and how they perform and what they earn.

Evidence that is not admissible:

The salary and performance of a "comparable" player who signed a contract as an unrestricted free agent.

cbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Hobble

I'd toss Helle a couple of million, but he probably wouldn't be able to catch it.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 12:13 PM
objectiveposter

anything more than what an average backup salary is an overpayment. He had a great opportunity to prove himself last year and blew it.

He is not the future of this franchise...he will be a backup in this league for about 5 years and then out of the NHL. Dime a dozen. Nothing special. Nothing to get excited about.

objectiveposter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 12:13 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERYX View Post
Even for a **** NHL goaltender it is pretty easy to argue he is underpaid.

For reference. Hutchinson made $1,300,000 last season.

Hellebuyck made less than $800,000.

Last season there was fewer than 10 goaltenders who played 10 or more NHL games that got paid less than Hellebuyck.

I mean, guys like Berra and Hammond basically got paid double what Hellebuyck did.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 12:16 PM
portamoral

[mod] he is still a good goalie, one mediocre year in the NHL is not going to decide if he's a starter in this league or not. the position is so up and down year to year that you can't write anyone off, especially a rookie.

i still think he's going to be an above average starter in the near future, the ability is there. his play last year was actually quite solid most of the time, problem was inconsistency. he'd play a few good games and then have one really bad showing that tanked his stats. it's normal though, he will find a way to adapt and succeed in this league like he's done in every other league in his life so far.

it doesn't help that our special teams are so incredibly sad. he is actually quite good 5v5 which is a great indicator of future success. wouldn't surprise me at all to see him bounce back and outplay mason for the starter job next season.

tl;dr .... i'm not worried about helle. i'd give him a bit of term now while he's cheap.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 07-06-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: flaming
portamoral is offline   Reply With Quote