Hellebuyck Files for Arbitration

Old
07-07-2017, 06:24 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
I'd question Helle if he didn't do this.
Geez nothing to see here
This. It seems just like yesterday we had Wheeler, Little and Bogo all going to arbitration in the same off season. No one was criticizing them and it all worked out reasonably at the end of the day.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippenator View Post
If Hellebuyck really still believes in himself and his development as a goalie, his benefit would really be as short contract as possible right now, as his last season really sucked. If he really has real talent, he might be able to even substantially raise his value in a season or two. But if he gets greedy right now by maximising what he can get in his bad leverage situation, he can risks getting clearly better deals in just two or three years. This makes me think that he is just greedy and maybe not even himself believes truly in his chances to become a real top goalie.

Maximising for money in all situations and at all times, can in fact be even quite big stupidity, or it can be just plain desperation, or a sign of real uncertainty about your career. To me his way of reacting can be a sign of the things I mentioned here. I base this on the fact that he had a pretty bad season for a number one goalie. I have seen often that people that try to do maximum cash-in even after bad performances, can easily end up with the shortest straw, as they get a bad name and the bad name spreads in such small circles as the NHL is. Him getting pretty soon a dream season could save his career, but then he could be stuck with smaller money than he could really deserve with his better play at that moment.

Well, I don't seriously believe in Hellebuyck practically at all, so the best thing in my opinion to happen for the Jets would be that they would seriously get rid of him and preferably get a clearly better number two goalie than he is. I am seriously afraid that Hellebuyck will be dragging the Jets down even as a number two, and us Jets fans will have to suffer for wasted Jets seasons at least a couple of times more.

And I am not doubting him because of this arbitration issue, or even because of his pretty bad statistics. I am really doubting him because of how he has looked when I have seen him play in tens of games. He is a stiff goalie and his movement in general is really not at all good. I really don't like his positioning too much either and he loses his focus also way too easily. He just does not look like a good goalie that could really ever become truly reliable. This is why I don't like at all the situation. Because I don't see that the Jets should be really paying him anything at all, as I think he should be got rid of. But if he really is going to stay, it pains me that there most probably is even millions more wasted on his salary, when that money could and should be used for another goalie or player that could really help the Jets, which I unfortunately very much doubt that Hellebuyck will be able to do.
Almost all these bridge deals end up being 2 years. The player will want the salary to rise in the second year so his QO will be higher. The team would prefer to even out the money for the exact opposite reason.

I'm sure he believes in himself. I also believe his agent acted correctly to advise him to file for arbitration. There is no contradiction between those two things.

There is no Pavelec like contract coming for Helle at this point in his career. The Jets are not about to offer him a long term deal. So not sure what your point really is. He doesn't have that option. He only really has a short term contract in his immediate future. He will likely be on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Year 1: 1.25
Year 2: 1.75

This is the contract he will be looking for, maybe a touch more cash.

I bet the Jets are looking to put him at a lower salary.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Bristo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post

OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Bristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post

He'll be looking for something like

1.5 & 2.5

so I would guess his initial ask will be higher.

You consider him a back up but he started 56 games last season. The arbitrator may not see things your way.

Teams that are looking to lowball in these situations have been putting players on waivers to bolster their case. Nashville just did that with a player who filed for arb. I doubt the Jets will do that with Helle.

Old
07-07-2017, 10:36 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Let it go to arbitration and see how he likes minimum salary.

Ok, I'm still bitter from last season. I do like him though. Kinda.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 10:39 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Let it go to arbitration and see how he likes minimum salary.

Ok, I'm still bitter from last season. I do like him though. Kinda.
The Jets won't submit a number that low. The arbitrator would be so pissed off he would just award Helle what he asked for.

Old
07-08-2017, 12:38 AM
gnp

vCash: 500
You've gotta be Kidding-Right ???

This Helly guy has "lot's of nerve" . After being yanked out of 8 games as he was totally falling apart, and sporting a .907 % Save % - I would totally be embarrassed to file if I was Helly !!! The guy has nerve !!! What would his Save % have fallen to, if he was not yanked in those 8 games, and left in ??? something like .885 to .895 %. ( not good at all)

If I was Chevy, I'd try to trade him for Grubauer, or Raanta, and maybe throw in a second rounder.

Helly should feel "lucky" he's still with the club, and not with the Moose,after his dismal season. I'd trade for someone better. I don't think he has the speed and reflexes needed to be great in the NHL.

gnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 01:07 AM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
This Helly guy has "lot's of nerve" . After being yanked out of 8 games as he was totally falling apart, and sporting a .907 % Save % - I would totally be embarrassed to file if I was Helly !!! The guy has nerve !!! What would his Save % have fallen to, if he was not yanked in those 8 games, and left in ??? something like .885 to .895 %. ( not good at all)

If I was Chevy, I'd try to trade him for Grubauer, or Raanta, and maybe throw in a second rounder.

Helly should feel "lucky" he's still with the club, and not with the Moose,after his dismal season. I'd trade for someone better. I don't think he has the speed and reflexes needed to be great in the NHL.
If he's so bad and has so little value why would these teams trade us a goalie you presumably feel to be vastly superior for him?

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 01:27 AM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippenator View Post
He should settle for the salary that the Jets are offering for him. If he doesn't, make the lowest possible deal with him that he will accept and trade him as soon as possible with a couple of other players as a package. Otherwise it could be even difficult to get anything substantial to really make the Jets goalie situation balanced enough to really become one of the top teams in the league. Hellebuyck will not be the goalie that the Jets need, not as a number one and not even as a number two.
This "take" seems so biased.
If Hutch had played like Hellebuyck last year in a back up roll we would have been in the playoffs or razor close.

From Dec-8th to March-18th Hutch won one game while losing 7 others and not counting in the decision a few times.

A reduced work load and stronger partner in Mason will be a good chance for Hellebuyck to improve on his numbers.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 01:46 AM
10Ducky10

Quote:

Because the Dogs and Caps wanna give up the goalies they just traded for and re-signed for 1.5m...

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 02:11 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
This. It seems just like yesterday we had Wheeler, Little and Bogo all going to arbitration in the same off season. No one was criticizing them and it all worked out reasonably at the end of the day.
We also had less people hyperventilating into their chins whenever something happened. That has something to do with it.

As for Bucky's contract scenario, I still envision him signing a two-year, $3m contract.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 02:28 AM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

Quote:

And the team is entitled to bring this stuff up, and an impartial arbitrator will take it on account, if it goes to a hearing. Just as Helly is entitled to bring up that he already has a starter season and experience when coming out of his ELC, which the team might be inclined to actively forget when making him an offer now that the goalie corps has been enstrengthened.

This is the particular time when Helly is not a signed-up slave (or another five-letter word of your choice) to the team and the league due to an effective SPC. But, having opted for player-initiated arbitration, he has now given away his right to not be one at the end of the arbitration process and has to sign for whatever the arb feels is "fair" amount.

Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 02:40 AM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 984
Quote:

Yikes! Did you not read any of the comments explaining this? Like literally a handful of posts before yours. This is a non-issue.

Duke749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 03:38 AM
gnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke749 View Post
Yikes! Did you not read any of the comments explaining this? Like literally a handful of posts before yours. This is a non-issue.
This Helly guy is at best-"a backup goalie" and I hope the arbitrator reduces what he's currently earning. That should wake him up. I know this is not popular with you Helly fans, but you have to call it the way it is !!!

gnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 04:33 AM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

Quote:
This Helly guy is at best-"a backup goalie" and I hope the arbitrator reduces what he's currently earning. That should wake him up. I know this is not popular with you Helly fans, but you have to call it the way it is !!!
You're in for a disappointment, whether it'll be a freely agreed or arbitrated salary that he'll make the next season.

Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Maukkis
ScheifElite

Quote:
Actually, he finished with 56 GP last year, which ranks him 18th out of all goalies of the NHL in that regard. So technically, his workload indicates that he is a starter. Should he have been? Probably not. Then again, you probably should take a look at what the other Jets' goalies did last year.

Maukkis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 07:53 AM
Eyeseeing

Thinking he'll be around 3 over 2
Can't see it being much more than that

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Bristo

Quote:

It sure takes a lot of nerve to not read a thread and make a post like this

Old
07-08-2017, 09:08 AM
SensibleGuy

Quote:

You can always tell the guys who's puppy Helly kicked.

SensibleGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Bristo

Hellebuyck was walking by my yard the other day, and that punk had the nerve to walk on my grass! I gave him a dirty look from the rocker on the porch, and he stopped and stood there, looking at me with this confused look on his face until I barked at him, "GET THE **** OFF MY LAWN".

The nerve!

Old
07-08-2017, 09:21 AM
MardyBum

I'm still wondering why people are getting upset over this after the dozen or so posts outlining how many Jets and how many players in general have done this in the past, or just this year.

This is nothing lol.

MardyBum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Bristo

Well MardyBum, it's the major symptom of the disease of this facebook selfie age. People don't listen to others anymore, they simply wait for their turn to talk. The things that other folks say - no matter how well thought out or apt they may be - they go in our ear and out the other.

It's pride, my friend. It's all about "Me, my, now" and if they see something they don't like, they pounce like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat to lead the charge to judgement, hoping to elevate themselves the only way they can - by climbing over those they feel superior to by beating them down.

Old
07-08-2017, 09:59 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Indeed. Nobody's really interested in having a reasonable discussion anymore. It's all about who can project their feelings the loudest, regardless of how off-base it is.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:04 AM
broinwhyteridge

I'm almost sorry I started this thread, although someone else would have come along and put one up anyways.

I figure 2 years and $1.5/year is probably pretty close to where he ends up.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the Jets want both goalies ending their contracts at the same time? Pros/Cons?

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote