HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Ranking #1

View Poll Results: Avalanche #1 prospect is:
Chris Bigras (D) San Antonio [#32 overall, 2013] 0 0%
JT Compher (C) San Antonio [#35 overall, 2013] 4 3.01%
AJ Greer (LW) San Antonio [#39 overall, 2015] 0 0%
Tyson Jost (C) North Dakota [#10 overall, 2016] 57 42.86%
Cale Makar (D) Brooks [#4 overall, 2017] 72 54.14%
Nicolas Meloche (D) Charlottetown [#40 overall, 2015] 0 0%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-06-2017, 08:33 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

vCash: 500
Makar. Jost may be just a few months in the AHL away from being NHL ready; but Makar is the better prospect.

Add Timmins (then Beaudin & Morrison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Bohannon View Post
This is where the "shiny new toy I've never seen play, but he's new so he must be better" syndrome kicks in.

At least wait until we have a better idea of the player Makar could/will become before blindly branding him #1.
I thought this was where the we "homer it up for the guy we've been hyping for a year instead of the more talented new guy, who's new"

Last edited by cgf: 07-06-2017 at 08:42 AM.
cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Grackle Party
uninformed neophyte

Jost, over shiny new toy. Makar has the boom or bust based on potential I can see why people would choose him as #1

Grackle Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 08:42 AM
Semyon Vezinamov
Mulan Szechuan Sauce

Makar easily. I give the benefit of the doubt to him for meeting or coming close to his potential until he shows that projection is unattainable. Hopefully that just never happens.

I'm projecting at what player these prospects will be and how they will impact the Avs in the future but even now, I think Makar would give Jost a run for his money even though they are a year apart and Jost has the college experience.

Add Timmins

Last edited by Semyon Vezinamov: 07-06-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Semyon Vezinamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 08:56 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Compher is the most NHL ready and I think he's going to make a big impact next season. For that reason I have him at #1.
I went with Compher as well, even though I know hes not going to win this poll. If JT plays like he did at the end of the season he'll win the #2C spot easily. He was arguably our best player down the stretch. There is still some chance Jost struggles physically in the NHL. Compher is just more polished, and is seemingly getting underrated for his upside.

Otherwise I would have put Jost myself.

The trend is I value NHL ready, and Makar needs to prove himself a bit more in College before I lose my marbles over how good hes going to be. I hated the Jost pick, but he proved himself at the college level, and didn't look that out of place in his short time up, so I have to give him his due credit.

Add Beaudin

CobraAcesS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:14 AM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
Jost, 100 times over. Makar has way too much risk associated with him to be even close. His potential means nothing if he never reaches it, and I don't think he will. Jost is already an NHL player and coupled with his inborn leadership and attitude he is easily the #1 prospect.
Great post!

StayAtHomeAv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:44 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

This is Makar to me... not that Jost isn't a great prospect (he is). Just that there is a much more limited ceiling.

Add Timmins.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Steve Varlamov

Makar for me. His skill set, albeit against other prospects, was insane to see live. And he has an air of confidence about him that convinces me that he'll put it all together.

Steve Varlamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 10:09 AM
chet1926

Went Makar just based on potential, prospects are generally judged on potential and Makar has the most potential of any of our guys.

I can see the argument for Jost to be number as he is a really solid prospect, but Makar's potential is just simply higher than Jost's IMO.

Last edited by chet1926: 07-06-2017 at 10:16 AM.
chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Ararana

vCash: 966
Tough one between Makar and Jost but Makar because he's new and shiny

Add Timmins, because Timmins be mah boo

Ararana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Everyone always votes on these things with a different mindset, but to me it is 'Where is this player currently tracking in their career' which makes it easier.

Makar is tracking as a top pairing defender, whether he makes it or not. Jost is tracking as a top 6 forward, whether he makes it or not. That makes Makar more valuable as a prospect than Jost, even if Jost is more of a sure bet to make an impact on the roster.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 10:51 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Everyone always votes on these things with a different mindset, but to me it is 'Where is this player currently tracking in their career' which makes it easier.

Makar is tracking as a top pairing defender, whether he makes it or not. Jost is tracking as a top 6 forward, whether he makes it or not. That makes Makar more valuable as a prospect than Jost, even if Jost is more of a sure bet to make an impact on the roster.
As I read your post I thought for sure you were going to say Jost, and then you pulled a fast one.

Interesting take though.

CobraAcesS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 10:59 AM
chet1926

Quote:

This is spot on, some people vote on how likely they are to reach their potential, some vote on pure potential, others take stuff like leadership and how close they are to the NHL into consideration.

No matter what I can say that Jost and Makar are both high quality prospects and this should be a tough decision.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:18 AM
LieutenantDangle
Mikko Kardashian

vCash: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
As I read your post I thought for sure you were going to say Jost, and then you pulled a fast one.

Interesting take though.
I had the same reaction. I thought he was going to say Makar is tracking to be a solid #3, and jost a 1st line winger

LieutenantDangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Patagonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
This is spot on, some people vote on how likely they are to reach their potential, some vote on pure potential, others take stuff like leadership and how close they are to the NHL into consideration.

No matter what I can say that Jost and Makar are both high quality prospects and this should be a tough decision.
Makar has so much potential, but just as many unknowns. Jost has done well the past year and already shown he is or nearly ready for the NHL and the reason for my choice.

Just happy they're on the team for such a debate. Playing different positions is also exciting allowing them plenty of opportunities to play together.

Patagonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:33 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
I agree it is nice to have a debate for number one.

I might lean a bit more into potential but to break a close decision I think about who I'd value more in a trade right now.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutenantDangle View Post
I had the same reaction. I thought he was going to say Makar is tracking to be a solid #3, and jost a 1st line winger
There aren't many players I would argue are tracking as top line forward, it's a difficult to project position and it's becoming increasingly rare in the NHL to be a bonafide top line forward. Whereas the separation between true top pairing potential and that gray area top 4/higher potential is growing. Many more defenders display elements of a top pairing defender but even fewer display the total package.

Makar, as a defender, displays the ability to be the total package on defense. He hasn't shutdown top competition yet in his career but he has that 'the best offense is a great defense' ability. If you're always on the attack then you're rarely defending. It's not a common quality and rarely do players with top pairing potential possess it.

Next year my evaluation may totally change, Makar may not take that next step and Jost may have established himself in the NHL. At which point they aren't even directly compared anymore.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:50 AM
LieutenantDangle
Mikko Kardashian

vCash: 1556
Quote:
There aren't many players I would argue are tracking as top line forward, it's a difficult to project position and it's becoming increasingly rare in the NHL to be a bonafide top line forward. Whereas the separation between true top pairing potential and that gray area top 4/higher potential is growing. Many more defenders display elements of a top pairing defender but even fewer display the total package.

Makar, as a defender, displays the ability to be the total package on defense. He hasn't shutdown top competition yet in his career but he has that 'the best offense is a great defense' ability. If you're always on the attack then you're rarely defending. It's not a common quality and rarely do players with top pairing potential possess it.

Next year my evaluation may totally change, Makar may not take that next step and Jost may have established himself in the NHL. At which point they aren't even directly compared anymore.
I usually respect your opinions so if you think he's top pairing material id believe it. There just seemed to be question marks about his defensive game (due to driving possession in the offensive zone), because he's hardly ever in his own zone. We will see what he's made of playing in college next season. I dont imagine his team will be dominating zone time.

LieutenantDangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Belgican

Makar : unique qualities

Belgican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 12:23 PM
GeniusSuperior

Have the Avs ever had two prospects as highly touted as Jost/Makar? I don't count Mikko/Jost because the pair includes Jost again.

GeniusSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 12:23 PM
RockyMtnRedhawk

Makar

Add Timmins

RockyMtnRedhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 12:26 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusSuperior View Post
Have the Avs ever had two prospects as highly touted as Jost/Makar? I don't count Mikko/Jost because the pair includes Jost again.
Landy/Siemens... Drury/Hejduk... Shatty/Duchene... Tangs/Skoula

There have been a number of times throughout the years. Some didn't pan out as expected.

Old
07-06-2017, 12:30 PM
GeniusSuperior

Can't believe I forgot about Landy/Duncan. The others came before I really started getting into hockey (Duchene/Shatty were about that time, but it took me a couple years to start learning about prospects). Let's hope these kids work out.

GeniusSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
Bleakley/Siemens

Old
07-06-2017, 12:34 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I forgot about Wolski/Stastny too... the hype there was off the chain (especially when you threw in Stoa).

Old
07-06-2017, 12:35 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Bleakley/Siemens
Drool.

UncleRisto is online now   Reply With Quote