HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Jussi Jokinen Confirmed - 1 year deal @ 1.1M

Old
07-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Zaddy

vCash: 500
All hail Speedyturtle.

Great signing. Exactly the type of vet signing I really like. Jokinen checks pretty much every box. Finnish, veteran, has a number of good offensive seasons behind him, can take faceoffs, pk, and is a reliable two-way player, and he gets signed really cheaply. Great stuff.

If we can keep adding guys like this every year to supplement our core guys we'll be in a very good position. Still hope we can add a vet LHD on the cheap too.

Zaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Spawn

vCash: 50
I still want Jagr

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Ninety7
go oil go

Teams looking pretty balanced

Ninety7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Ol' Jase
No mas, Adam. No mas

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I still want Jagr
I agree 100%.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
This may seem an odd thing to say, but I see this signing as another indication that Oilers have finally arrived. There is a tier of experienced, versatile and dependable slightly-better-than-journeymen players that seem to move around the top teams (or at least the most desirable teams) every couple of years. They are rarely any team's primary target on free agent day, but they always seem to be those one or two guys that everyone wants to put their team over the top. They are the secondary scorers and role players that are sort of unremarkable on their own but that can make a good team great. But the Oil never seem to attract them - we always get the poor man's version of one, or someone who we hope might muddle through as a reasonable facsimile. I recognize that he was just bought out and that Jokinen is no elite world-beater, but he fits this general profile to a tee. IMO it's a sign that the Oilers' window is opening up.

Very happy with this signing!
I think for JJ it's a few things. The guy had a rough year. No one was offering him multi-year deals at this point, so it's either where do I go to win the cup or where do I go to better myself in the summer of 18.

Coming to Edmonton there is a chance that he gets time with McDavid or LD and on a PP that should be pretty decent. He also gets a chance to play with a highly touted Finnish prospect that he could mentor. Was he mentoring Barkov and liked this role?

We might not be the best option for that cup this season, but if he does well maybe there is a longer commitment made to keep him here for next year when the team could very well be a strong candidate to win the cup.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:38 AM
oljimmy

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVirginOil View Post
Well he doesn't really replace Ebs points.

But JJ checks off a lot of boxes, I love this signing.

Strome and JJ are a good bet to replace the production of ebs and pou combined. Combined PPGs over the last two years are almost identical (1.00 vs. 1.04) and we're sitting on $4.7million more. That's some pretty magical GMing right there.

oljimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:38 AM
83to48

vCash: 900
I love it!!
Speedy can do no wrong in this world

83to48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Pressure
Real Talk

Quote:
I still want Jagr
Jagr was a huge draw for Florida and I'm not talking just on the score sheet. The guy had legions of fans come out to all their games and especially away ones. He'd make the Oilers money in jersey sales alone, not to mention when we hit markets that may not sell out (even with #97).

Plus I just want to buy a Jagr jersey so bad. One of my favorite players growing up.

And we have space on the right side....I wouldn't promote Puju yet.

1 year 3.5 mill for Jagr??

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:41 AM
LTIR

vCash: 150
I would buy a Jagr jersey before a McDavid one

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:43 AM
LaGu

$1.1M + $1.33M for Jokinen and Pouliot gone >>>> $4M for Pouliot...

Helps that Jokinen is also a better player than Pouliot.

Great depth signing.

Veteran winger/center, check.

I'd still like to see a RW (Jagr) and D (... trade).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:43 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 132
maybe JJ means Jokinen then Jagr

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Pulj for sure needs to earn his spot but the other 2 are pretty safe IMO
It's not just being in the lineup, but where. The post I quoted had Strome on the first line and Slep on the second. I'd love to that happen if they can earn those spots, but I'm not counting on it.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:47 AM
LTIR

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
$1.1M + $1.33M for Jokinen and Pouliot gone >>>> $4M for Pouliot...

Helps that Jokinen is also a better player than Pouliot.
Is Jussi Hendricks replacement?
Veteran bottom 6 winger who can take draws if needed...

Even if Jussi is Pouliot replacement and Strome Eberle replacement dont we need replacements for Desharnais and Hendricks?

One more forward might still be on the cards.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
I still want Jagr
Me too. Make the young guys earn those jobs, and Jagr (remarkably) still has gas left in the tank, even at his age.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mirasane

Wow, this is a big time steal from Chiarelli. Even though Jokinen is already 34 he should still be good for 40+ point season. And he is also valuable utility player because you can use him in almost any role. With 1.1 mil that is just perfect contract.

mirasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Jagr was a huge draw for Florida and I'm not talking just on the score sheet. The guy had legions of fans come out to all their games and especially away ones. He'd make the Oilers money in jersey sales alone, not to mention when we hit markets that may not sell out (even with #97).

Plus I just want to buy a Jagr jersey so bad. One of my favorite players growing up.

And we have space on the right side....I wouldn't promote Puju yet.

1 year 3.5 mill for Jagr??
It would be cool for me because I have like 4 or 5 of his rookie cards stahed away...hehe

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:50 AM
GameChanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Pulj for sure needs to earn his spot but the other 2 are pretty safe IMO
When he had solid minutes Pulju's ice time related stats were actually clearly (often over twice) better than Eberle's, RNH's, Lucic's and almost every other forward on the team so I don't think he should be the "only" one fighting for a roster spot. At that time fans were very happy with him and he's a year older now, so I think he should deserve enough ice-time at least at the start of the season.

I believe Pulju could be a huge additional tool for the Oilers in the spring. After all we are talking about a player who could've been drafted at #1 in many years, maybe this one as well. Because of talents such as McDavid and Drai it's too easy to forget the potential he has or the level he already had when playing at his best level.

As for JJ, that must be one of the best signings of the year. Amazing value. I wrote already beforehand that JJ might be interested in coming to the Oilers (a part in Pulju's development and of course McDavid etc.) at a very reasonable price. Of course that could be the market value but I have a strong feeling he was offered more by some other teams. Because JJ is not too flashy people often don't realize what a great player he is. This is the way to save cap space in the smartest possible way. Basically you just don't get that good of a player for that price.

GameChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Nuusku

Wow.. great signing. Jokinen isn't flashy but he can play pretty much any position with success.

Nuusku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:51 AM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Speedy still batting .1000.

Versatility, good on faceoffs, solid defensively, capable of putting points and a Pulju mentor. Pretty much an ideal signing for that price.

I'm glad that Chia focused on the real need which is a vet who can potentially slot into the #3C spot at times and win faceoffs as opposed to a flashy RW and because it was so cheap, he can still add a vet RW if need be.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:52 AM
5 14 6 1
We are the 11.5%

Love it. Awesome price point, super versatile, great mentor for Puljujarvi, likely to rebound.

Love the deal. Some much needed wing depth.

5 14 6 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:52 AM
488fitter

The legend grows. #speedyturtle

Great signing. Steal of a deal!

488fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:57 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
It would be cool for me because I have like 4 or 5 of his rookie cards stahed away...hehe
Stashed away, you should have them next to your mirror in the bathroom trying to match that hair.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
JJ primarily plays the wing positions but he does sometimes takes draws. I wouldn't call him a center. Definitely versatile.
Since Strome has really been sold as a center, and said that's where he's comfortable, and getting Strome to hit his potential is a big deal, I'd say Strome will be center.

However, I could see Jokinen being stapled to Strome, and for them to have a setup where Jokinen takes the faceoff, but then Strome plays the center position. I remember Colorado doing that one year (O'reilly and MacKinnon I think)

And like others have said, JP could be a good fit with JJ, so maybe the line is Jokinen-Strome-Puljujarvi

Which is an interesting setup, having Jokinen being the veteran leader on that line, and all communication going through him too because of the language barrier . He'd be a good mentor since he's a very good two-way player, and maybe could cover some rookie mistakes.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by oljimmy View Post
"but how are we going to replace eberle's pointzz????????????" -HFOil

"Hold my beer." - Chia

So now instead of Pouliot and Eberle ($10 mil cap) We have Strome and JJ plus Pou's buyout (5.27 mil cap hit). We are unquestionably a better team with lots of room to add talent at the deadline for a cup run. Go Chia!
If Puljujarvi takes the next step this season we are off to the races.

Quote:
Probably. But those two also take up two spots in the top 9 whereas Eberle takes up one. A more accurate way to look at it would be to look at the roster positions.

Jokinen>Pou
Eberle>Strome

This deal doesn't have anything to do with Eberle or replacing his production imo. This is all about finding an upgrade on Pouliot who brings a bit more to the table and for less money.
Well we're subtracting ~50-55 points from Eberle and between them they should cover Eberle's and Pouliot's production from last season at a fraction of the cost. Added bonus that JJ will be a mentor for Puljujarvi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
This may seem an odd thing to say, but I see this signing as another indication that Oilers have finally arrived. There is a tier of experienced, versatile and dependable slightly-better-than-journeymen players that seem to move around the top teams (or at least the most desirable teams) every couple of years. They are rarely any team's primary target on free agent day, but they always seem to be those one or two guys that everyone wants to put their team over the top. They are the secondary scorers and role players that are sort of unremarkable on their own but that can make a good team great. But the Oil never seem to attract them - we always get the poor man's version of one, or someone who we hope might muddle through as a reasonable facsimile. I recognize that he was just bought out and that Jokinen is no elite world-beater, but he fits this general profile to a tee. IMO it's a sign that the Oilers' window is opening up.

Very happy with this signing!
Agreed, the cost even with him being bought out (still signed for $50K less than Pouliot) is tremendous. Last night I was figuring between $1.5-$2 million on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 488fitter View Post
The legend grows. #speedyturtle

Great signing. Steal of a deal!
Speedy has now been added to a short list of posters recognized by all HF as an insider. He/she is 100% anonymous to all of us but his batting average speaks for itself.

07-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Smart signing. Any guess as to where he'll slot in to your lineup?

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote