HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Kevin Klein retires

Old
07-07-2017, 11:02 AM
cwede

vCash: 500
Kevin Klein retires

thought you guys might be interested,
Mods - delete if unwelcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post

cwede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Soundgarden

Always had a soft spot for number 8. Shame he couldn't win a cup, but he got to live out his dream playing in the NHL.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Always had a soft spot for number 8. Shame he couldn't win a cup, but he got to live out his dream playing in the NHL.
Hopefully NYR fans don't venture back in here because they'll have to re-live this but......for some reason its always bothered me that Klein was one of the D men on the Kings 2OT Cup winning goal in 2014. I don't remember him being at fault or anything as it was just a 3 on 2 but I just felt so bad for him to be in that scenario. He had to play a man and in a coin toss situation it was the wrong one.

Anyway, I don't think in the history of me being a fan since 1998 I've pulled more of a 180 on a Preds player than Klein. I don't know why but for awhile I just thought he sucked and I'd never give him credit for anything. Then he became one of my favorites and I was sad to see him go.

Best of luck to him in whatever he pursues next.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Darkhorse1280
Nigel Cadbury

Loved him in A Fish Called Wanda.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Jonesey
Dept. of Defense

I really wish we wouldn't have traded him.

Thanks #8, best of luck in your future.

Old
07-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

One of my all-time favorites. This guy wasn't a star, but he put in the hard work, he did whatever was necessary, whatever the coach asked.

He wanted to play in Nashville when nobody else did. I posted already in another thread about this, but I hated the trade for MDZ. I liked Del Zotto just fine, but Poile basically gave away Klein for nothing. A guy who took a nice contract to stay in Nashville, traded for 25 games of a worse player.

There was a rumor that he was going to retire this summer and head over to Europe. I don't know if it's true, but I hope that if that's what he wants to do that he finds a good opportunity and enjoys his time with it. Likewise if he is really just done, I hope he has happiness in retirement.

Last edited by Legionnaire11: 07-07-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Soundgarden

Yeah, the MDZ move was one of Poile's worst mistakes.

Old
07-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
I really wish we wouldn't have traded him.

This first video is the memory I'll always have of Klein, that was such a nice goal, he was very underrated offensively because with Timonen, Weber, Suter and Hamhuis we just never needed him to do it. Most fans these days probably don't even remember Klein, let alone the difficulties he had breaking into the league, at one point he converted to RW because it didn't look like there would ever be an opening on our stacked defense, but it showed his versatility and dedication. He was one of the good guys, and I was always just a little happier when good things were happening for him.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:30 PM
FFWRX
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Anyway, I don't think in the history of me being a fan since 1998 I've pulled more of a 180 on a Preds player than Klein. I don't know why but for awhile I just thought he sucked and I'd never give him credit for anything. Then he became one of my favorites and I was sad to see him go.

Best of luck to him in whatever he pursues next.
I'm betting that was when he was paired with Hamhuis.

FFWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFWRX View Post
I'm betting that was when he was paired with Hamhuis.
That.......is probably correct.

Old
07-07-2017, 01:32 PM
token grinder
Facts Get Deleted

Always Liked Klein. He was one of those guys that you just didn't want to get ticked off because he would end you.

I remember the calls on the old boards and these wanting to move him to F because of his speed. He just couldn't win Trotz's trust and then something clicked with him and was a very good dman for us.

Hate we traded him. At the time it was a win/win for us with MDZ and then realized he couldn't play D under trotz.

Did concussions catchup to him? I figured he would be in the league a few more seasons on a team's bottom pair.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 01:34 PM
TitansVolsPreds615

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Always Liked Klein. He was one of those guys that you just didn't want to get ticked off because he would end you.

I remember the calls on the old boards and these wanting to move him to F because of his speed. He just couldn't win Trotz's trust and then something clicked with him and was a very good dman for us.

Hate we traded him. At the time it was a win/win for us with MDZ and then realized he couldn't play D under trotz.

Did concussions catchup to him? I figured he would be in the league a few more seasons on a team's bottom pair.
I'd take Kleiner back over Weber right this second.

TitansVolsPreds615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 02:09 PM
maplepred

He is going to go play in Europe next season. His mother in law is a bartender at a pub I go to often. So if you still wanna see him play you can watch those games.
NHL will miss you kleiner!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansVolsPreds615 View Post
I'd take Kleiner back over Weber right this second.
I wouldn't wait that long.

Old
07-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Persona5

I will never forget his never ending head nod during every bench interview. I always got a chuckle out of that.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 06:11 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
He was a beauty to watch. Loved how he would egg on teammates during their bench interviews.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 06:12 PM
glenngineer

I remember him crashing in to the boards one night and it looked like he wrecked his ankle pretty bad. Played the next shift. Guy was impervious to pain it seemed. One of the better skating d-men I've seen too. Such a sweet stride. All the best KK.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I loved his mohawk during the playoffs. He couldn't grow much of a beard, but he made up for it with that.

One of my favorites. I will miss him being in the league. He was the reason I'd watch the Rangers--just to cheer him on.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 01:16 AM
sparkle twin
Love you, Nashville

Klein was one of my favorites.

I remember a lot of people used to yell at him. He was known as DammitKlein for a long time. Then he finally put it all together and everyone loved him. (I think a lot of our defensemen started as Dammitxxxx until they finally grew into their role, lol)

He never complained, just did his job and pounded some guys when needed. He loved being here and embraced whatever role he was put in, on or off the ice.

That breakaway goal vs Detroit in the playoffs is still one of my all time favorite playoff goals.

I hated the trade, and always missed him. I still cheered him when the Rangers came to town.

Good luck to Kevin in retirement!!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 08:43 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post

I remember a lot of people used to yell at him. He was known as DammitKlein for a long time. Then he finally put it all together and everyone loved him. (I think a lot of our defensemen started as Dammitxxxx until they finally grew into their role, lol)

He never complained, just did his job and pounded some guys when needed. He loved being here and embraced whatever role he was put in, on or off the ice.

That breakaway goal vs Detroit in the playoffs is still one of my all time favorite playoff goals.

I hated the trade, and always missed him. I still cheered him when the Rangers came to town.

I loved that goal against Detroit! Erat looked like he could control gravity, pulling 4 Dead Things with him to the corner, followed by Kleiner's goal. Detroit looked like a beer league team on that play.

I remember a game in Milwaukee where an Admiral got hammered in the neutral zone on a bad pass. A few shifts later, a visitor was skating with the puck past the Ads bench. Klein hit him with a hip check, knocking the guy up in the air with his skates up, and pushed him over the boards into the Ads bench. He got a standing O from the crowd. Sometimes he was like a heat seeking missile to guys with their head down in the neutral zone. I loved it, especially since he wasn't a huge guy.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 09:01 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post

I loved that goal against Detroit! Erat looked like he could control gravity, pulling 4 Dead Things with him to the corner, followed by Kleiner's goal. Detroit looked like a beer league team on that play.

I remember a game in Milwaukee where an Admiral got hammered in the neutral zone on a bad pass. A few shifts later, a visitor was skating with the puck past the Ads bench. Klein hit him with a hip check, knocking the guy up in the air with his skates up, and pushed him over the boards into the Ads bench. He got a standing O from the crowd. Sometimes he was like a heat seeking missile to guys with their head down in the neutral zone. I loved it, especially since he wasn't a huge guy.

Last edited by adsfan: 07-14-2017 at 05:57 PM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 02:55 PM
FossilFndr

Kevin Klein comes out of retirement!

FossilFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 04:01 PM
Soundgarden

The comeback of the year!

Old
07-14-2017, 04:46 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Kind of a random comment, but from his original quote, I appreciate that he named the Preds before the Rangers. No slight against the Rangers by any means, but it shows that he never forgot his time here and what the organization did for him before making him the victim of a simple business decision.

Old
07-14-2017, 04:59 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Weird that he walked away from 2.5 million guaranteed next year. I can't imagine he will make that kind of money in europe. Possibly a lifestyle choice, possibly he thinks he can make the Canadian Olympic squad?

Still sucks that the Rags get free cap relief.