HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Wireless internet question

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
OT: Wireless internet question

Hey guys,

I will be purchasing a laptop within the next month, and I had a question about connecting to the internet with it.

I know at Concordia (my school) for example, students can set up free wireless internet accounts, as there are hotspots throughout the downtown campus.

However, I was wondering exactly how wireless internet worked outside of such a region.

Like, for example, let's say I wanted to get some work done on my laptop while sitting outside in my backyard taking the sun this Summer. Is there a way to do this? If so, what must I do to purchase / set this network up? What service providers offer such services in the Montreal region? Is it expensive?

I'm not computer-illiterate, just new to the world of wireless technologies.

Any help or insight you guys could give me would be appreciated! Thanks.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:01 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Well all you would have to do is have the internet at your house and buy a wireless router. Or if you are looking to save money just go into your back yard if you live in a heavy populated area you will easily be able to connect to a neighbor’s wireless internet.

You would just have to deal with the moral issues.

Old
moshedw

Yuo can purchase a Wireless Router for Wireless connectivity for acceess in your apt/ backyard. They can be purchased at Future shop, best buy etc.

good luck

Old
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
that's a good question, I was actually wondering the same thing.
My mom just got a labtop and I've been trying to figure out how to get her wireless connection up and running

Old
03-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

So if I understand correctly, seeing as I have a high speed connection at my place, all I need to do is buy a wireless router (which seem to go for $70 - $150-ish), and then it'll work?

How far-reaching is the "hotspot"? Also, is there a monthly charge for using it, like with a normal internet service provider, or is it a one-time purchase charge?

Old
03-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

You buy the router, and then you don't have to pay anything else, other than your ISP's monthly fees.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Habbadasher

One time purchase charge.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
You buy the router, and then you don't have to pay anything else, other than your ISP's monthly fees.
Great, thanks.

And if I have the router with my computer in my home office (where I assume it would have to be), I should be able to connect to it with my laptop from a different room, or even outside?

Old
03-31-2006, 02:17 PM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher
One time purchase charge.

Think of a router like a cordless phone. You're just paying for the phone service, the wireless is just an extended cord from the base to your phone.

You should be able to get about 40-80 feet depending on what router you get without any signal enhancers and depending on how much intereference there is in your house. I can sit in my backyard about 100 feet away and still get a low but operating signal.

Make sure your laptop has a wireless card built in, but if you are buying it now it almost surely does.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:23 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I would buy linksys my dad has it at his house works from across the street.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:29 PM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR
Well all you would have to do is have the internet at your house and buy a wireless router. Or if you are looking to save money just go into your back yard if you live in a heavy populated area you will easily be able to connect to a neighbor’s wireless internet.

This is why you should be securing your wireless connection with at least a 128 bit encryption. Unfortunately, most people do not know how to do that but it is critical.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABit
This is why you should be securing your wireless connection with at least a 128 bit encryption. Unfortunately, most people do not know how to do that but it is critical.
When I'm looking at the specs for a router, like say this one for example:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...47&catid=19994

What features should I be looking for?

Old
03-31-2006, 02:38 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABit
Yeah, otherwise, some stoopid guys could bust your d/l limits or ******* up all your stuff just for the fun of it.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:38 PM
NBHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu

I would recommend a Linksys make. Other than that 802.11G would probally be your best bet.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0025695&catid=

Old
03-31-2006, 02:45 PM
HABit

Quote:

I have been through a few routers myself but never tried a D-Link. I have heard good things about them. As long as it is 802.11G and it is a known brand it will have some security settings. Linksys is also good but I also had a Linksys router that was horrible. WRT54G stay away from it.

Also if you buy it from Futureshop you can try it for up to a month and then just return or exchange it if you don't like it, no risk there.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Thanks again for all your help guys.

So based on the information I've gathered, this seems like a pretty decent router, no?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...95&catid=19994

It's a Linksys, 802.11g.

Has much better customer reviews than the d-link one I posted before, which had some pretty bad reviews.

And it's fairly cheap.

Anything wrong with it?

Oh, and one final question:

What's a Wireless-G Notebook Adapter for?
Like this one: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...84&catid=19997

Do I have to buy that too?

Old
03-31-2006, 03:06 PM
NBHABSFAN

Quote:
Thanks again for all your help guys.

So based on the information I've gathered, this seems like a pretty decent router, no?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...95&catid=19994

It's a Linksys, 802.11g.

Has much better customer reviews than the d-link one I posted before, which had some pretty bad reviews.

And it's farily cheap.

Anything wrong with it?
I had a DLink wireless router, and I had so many problems with it. I am now using a Linksys Wireless router and love it. Depending on how advanced you want to configure the router its great for noobs all the way up to super router geeks. (The ones that stay in on Friday nights and program their router)

Old
03-31-2006, 03:09 PM
NBHABSFAN

You will need the wireless card, unless the laptop you are getting has wireless built in. You will want to check on this.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:09 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Amazing stuff. Thanks all soooo much for your help. You've saved me countless hours of informing myself on getting things set up.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:15 PM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR

LOL! That's what I do in the summer. I'll go down to the park to do some work and get hook up to someone's wireless connection. There is always 2 or 3 to connect from. It's nice because I can work in a nice relaxing setting.

As for the moral issues, well, if they are too lazy to secure their network, that's not my problem. Just thnx for the free internet

Old
03-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI
LOL! That's what I do in the summer. I'll go down to the park to do some work and get hook up to someone's wireless connection. There is always 2 or 3 to connect from. It's nice because I can work in a nice relaxing setting.

As for the moral issues, well, if they are too lazy to secure their network, that's not my problem. Just thnx for the free internet
Oh, and one last last question related to this. If I am at home, will I be able to tell if someone has connected using my router?

Similarly, if I'm outside, and happen to notice the ability of connecting to someone else's router, and take advantage of this, will they be able to tell that someone has connected?

Old
03-31-2006, 03:33 PM
IcemanTBI

Well, I don't have a wireless router at home, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think you could if you knew where to look. Not everyone does though. Otherwise, I'm sure they would kick you off if they knew. I know I would, but then again, I would have my network secured.

I think alot of people hook it up, see they get internet, and then leave it be, not thinking others can use their signal.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:54 PM
habs-stars2006

Quote:
Oh, and one last last question related to this. If I am at home, will I be able to tell if someone has connected using my router?

Similarly, if I'm outside, and happen to notice the ability of connecting to someone else's router, and take advantage of this, will they be able to tell that someone has connected?
i dont think you'll be able to tell.

Old
03-31-2006, 04:13 PM
NBHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs-stars2006
i dont think you'll be able to tell.
Ya you can tell who is connected wirelessly to your network. You will get their MAC address from the card they have connected from, and ultimatly you can filter their address from connecting to your router.

Chances are that if you can connect to their network they are not actively monitoring connections / traffic.

Old
03-31-2006, 04:13 PM
znk

Quote:

Once you have setup your router....you will be able to access it thru a web page
usualy at 192.168.0.1

First thing you do is change the admin password.
Then enable wep security and configure your KEY (you'll need that key to connect to your router with a wireless device)

Once this is donne....ppl wont be able to connect to your network without the proper key. (except some wizz kids...but never happend to me)

Anyway..on one of the pages on mine...I can see the attached devices.

Closed Thread