HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Wireless internet question

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2006, 03:17 PM
NBHABSFAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI
Otherwise, I'm sure they would kick you off if they knew

I think alot of people hook it up, see they get internet, and then leave it be, not thinking others can use their signal.
If they don't know how to secure their network, they will not know how to get you off their network. Short of unplugging it.

Ya I agree with that for sure. They buy it, plug it in and it works and they don't do anything else. Which is scary because not everyone will know the admin access to your router and can do anything on your network. Should they do something that is illegal its all traced back to you and your unsecured network. Which will suck.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHABSFAN
If they don't know how to secure their network, they will not know how to get you off their network. Short of unplugging it.

Ya I agree with that for sure. They buy it, plug it in and it works and they don't do anything else. Which is scary because not everyone will know the admin access to your router and can do anything on your network. Should they do something that is illegal its all traced back to you and your unsecured network. Which will suck.
That's the other question I had thought of.

If I'm not using my router at a given time, would it be advisable to turn it off / unplug it?

Or, like my computer, is it fine just to leave it on at all times?

Old
03-31-2006, 03:18 PM
NBHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
Once you have setup your router....you will be able to access it thru a web page
usualy at 192.168.0.1

First thing you do is change the admin password.
Then enable wep security and configure your KEY (you'll need that key to connect to your router with a wireless device)

Once this is donne....ppl wont be able to connect to your network without the proper key. (except some wizz kids...but never happend to me)

Anyway..on one of the pages on mine...I can see the attached devices.
That is very good advice for everyone who has a wireless network that is not currently being secured.

If someone really wants to get in, even though you have secured your network there are always ways to get in, altough require a lot of work and time. Its like you house, when you leave you lock your doors and windows so people don't come in. But if someone really wanted to get into your house they still could. Someone is much more likly to go after an unsecured network than one that has been setup with WEP or MAC address filtering.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:20 PM
NBHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
That's the other question I had thought of.

If I'm not using my router at a given time, would it be advisable to turn it off / unplug it?

Or, like my computer, is it fine just to leave it on at all times?
Once it is locked down and secured there is no need to unplug or otherwise turn off your router it will protect your computer from the internet, as well as other people connecting to your network.

Closed Thread