HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

overpaid for gauthier??

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2006, 09:11 PM
goodrev

vCash: 500
overpaid for gauthier??

guathier signed a 3 year i believe averaging around $2.15 mill a year, for a guy who is averaging 13-14 minutes a game i think that is a little bit high, and if anything they are putting a larger pricetag on guys like pitkanen and KJ who will now most likely be seeking on the upwards of 3.5 a year

do you think clarke overpaid for guathier? he averages a good 3 minutes of icetime less per game then freddy meyer and is making 2 and change, do you think this is until he gets more comfortable with the system maybe? or is he simply a novelty energy guy who threw some big hits got his contract and will calm down

Old
03-28-2006, 09:17 PM
cjmurph

He was already making $1.33 million this year, understandably it took a premium offer for Gauthier to forego free agency.

Old
03-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Philly Flyer Fan*

No, I don't think so. We need his toughness. As for his play, keep in mind he's still new and learning Hitch's systems.

Old
03-28-2006, 10:21 PM
goodrev

its not that i think he has played poorly, its just that hitch has not given him ice time while him now being in the 2.2 million price bracket, i know a lot of people were saying they were hoping to resign KJ for around 2-2.5, but after this signing i think chances of that are remote... as for gauthiers play i love his style and he spark, of course it will take time to get used to hitch's system i just hope he doesnt become another rathje

Old
03-28-2006, 11:05 PM
TheKingPin

he played poorly tonight agaistn the leafs but overall he has been good. What I think the reason for the money is that is the rate for a good dman, ie i think Rico may be done next year.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:28 PM
panayiotis

he is terrible

Another plodder on the blueline. Poor skater, poor passer, cheap shot artist. Who is scared to drop his gloves. What d we got. Rico-Hatcher-Ratje-Gauthier....Oh yeah!!!That will work!!!!!

Old
03-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Eb0la11

not only did u overpay him, you overpaid for him.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:44 PM
MojoJojo

We overpaid and I dont like his game. I'm starting to see that he has a bad habit of making bad first passes, where he panicks and gets rid of the puck instead of actually passing to an open man. That said, 2.1 per year isnt too bad considering that UFA defenseman will always be overpaid and the cap is set to increase which will directly increase the salaries of free agents. He is entering his prime, and has his value by making the opposing team play with their heads up. I dont want to see us defending his dirty hits or watch our players get run in retaliation for the next three years though.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
We overpaid and I dont like his game. I'm starting to see that he has a bad habit of making bad first passes, where he panicks and gets rid of the puck instead of actually passing to an open man. That said, 2.1 per year isnt too bad considering that UFA defenseman will always be overpaid and the cap is set to increase which will directly increase the salaries of free agents. He is entering his prime, and has his value by making the opposing team play with their heads up. I dont want to see us defending his dirty hits or watch our players get run in retaliation for the next three years though.
I'm not too thrilled about it either right now. I like his hits but the guy needs to atone for them every now and again, or else one of our boys are going to wind up hurt.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
FlyersFanJS

it may be overpayment, but next to rathje's 3.5 (i believe), it looks like the bargain of the century

Old
03-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
it may be overpayment, but next to rathje's 3.5 (i believe), it looks like the bargain of the century
Agree with you there. I'd rather overpay Gauthier at just over $2 million than slow-*** molasses Rathje at $3.5 million.

Old
03-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Broad st phantom

wow i didnt know the rat got paid 3 mill........thats ******.
Gauthier like some one said above. he has nic hits but his frantic way of getting rid of the puck is catching up

Old
03-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11
not only did u overpay him, you overpaid for him.
Disagree with both. They still have 2 2nd rounders, a 1st and 2 3rds. He acquired those picks to use them at the deadline. We were able to keep all of our young talent which is the most important thing and didn't have to give up a player (well Gratton but who cares he would have never played on this team anyway). Plus Clarke had to up the ante because the Rags were going to get him and had to settle on Ozolinsh. It was a no brainer.

What are the chances that you will get a defensemen in 4 years as good as Gauthier with either of those picks? 10%? Look at Woywitka, he was a good prospect drafted in the mid 1st round and he can't even break the Blues lineup which means he would probably be behind Jones and Picard. Draft picks are a gamble (especially in hockey when drafting 18-19 yo's) players are a sure thing.

All of you thinking that we overpaid will love what he brings in the playoffs.

Last edited by Banger: 03-29-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old
03-29-2006, 10:36 PM
panayiotis

hatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Agree with you there. I'd rather overpay Gauthier at just over $2 million than slow-*** molasses Rathje at $3.5 million.
He is just as slow and making more money.

Old
03-31-2006, 10:25 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger
Disagree with both. They still have 2 2nd rounders, a 1st and 2 3rds. He acquired those picks to use them at the deadline. We were able to keep all of our young talent which is the most important thing and didn't have to give up a player
What was paid for him doesn't relate to what was kept. If you pay a 1st round pick for Dale Purinton, you overpaid even if you have 10 other first round picks.

Also, this doesn't address the salary issue that some people are talking about.

Quote:
the Rags were going to get him
Link?

Quote:
What are the chances that you will get a defensemen in 4 years as good as Gauthier with either of those picks? ... Draft picks are a gamble (especially in hockey when drafting 18-19 yo's) players are a sure thing.
But isn't that an argument for just dumping all your picks on old men? ALL picks are a gamble whereas all NHLers are a sure thing; they're already in the NHL.

Old
03-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Think there's any chance Clarke will be looking to trade one of his three slower defensive defensemen in the off-season? Might not look so bad if it's a replacement for an outbound Rathje, for example.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Think there's any chance Clarke will be looking to trade one of his three slower defensive defensemen in the off-season? Might not look so bad if it's a replacement for an outbound Rathje, for example.
You have no idea how much I pray every night before bed that Rathje will be gone in the offseason.

Old
03-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
But isn't that an argument for just dumping all your picks on old men? ALL picks are a gamble whereas all NHLers are a sure thing; they're already in the NHL.
1) he's not old and 2) it depends on the team and the situation. If you are in a rebuilding mode it doesn't make sense to pickup a 29 yo defensemen but if your farm and NHL club are pretty well stocked it makes sense to deal picks for players if that player is an immediate need (especially when you still have plenty of picks for the draft).

The Flyers haven't had a 2nd round pick in years and they've done just fine drafting 3rd rounders and later. They happen to still have 2 2nd's so I'm not sure what the fuss is about. It's a no brainer if you can pick up a solid top 4 NHL defensemen for a couple picks. They need the player more than they do the picks.

So many people get so enamoured with draft picks and they lose sight on just how much of a longshot it is that a player makes it. I just randomly chose to look at the '01/'02 drafts since those players would have a few years to make it through the system and from the '01 draft of 32 2nd rounders taken there are 3 players: Cammalleri 25g 27a, Tutin, Derek Roy 16g 27a and from the '02 draft of 32 2nd rounders there are players: Jarret Stoll 21g 44a, Trevor Daley (D) 71g 2g 11a, Duncan Keith (D) 70g 8g 11a and Stajan 10g 10a that have even sniffed the NHL and have had any sort of contribution. So out of 64 players 7 have made the NHL, a little over 10% and it takes them 3-4 years to make any sort of contribution. Now what are the chances that is going to happen with a team as stacked as the Flyers and their farm system especially considering the # of other draft picks they have?

Closed Thread