HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kost vs. Perez

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2006, 01:37 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

vCash: 500
Kost vs. Perez

Am I the only one that thinks that Kostitsyn is better than Perezhogin?? honestly I think if he had been given a better shot (since he is a scorer being put on a scoring line would be a first) he would've stuck with the team. Now I know there are some die hard Zhogin fans and ppl that just flat ouyt don't agree with me but lets keep it civil...

Or I will crush you!

Old
03-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Shabutie

Hard to say. The stint Kost had in montreal was very impressive though. I still don't understand why Gainey sent Kost down after saying that he was providing a great effort.

Old
03-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I do think Kostitsyn WILL be the better of the two down the road, that's for sure. Right now, I think it's virtually a wash. Plus, Perezhogin has more experience under his belt than Kostits, so I think it's best that Andrei be getting good minutes in Hamilton, while Alex may get only a few minutes, but is getting NHL time.

Old
03-31-2006, 01:43 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I do think Kostitsyn WILL be the better of the two down the road, that's for sure. Right now, I think it's virtually a wash. Plus, Perezhogin has more experience under his belt than Kostits, so I think it's best that Andrei be getting good minutes in Hamilton, while Alex may get only a few minutes, but is getting NHL time.
I wouldn't expect Kost to be a ppg player but i think for example 5-on-5 right now if he'd be called up he'd be a better on our first line than Ryder. If I was Gainey I probably wouldn't do this just because right now is crunch time and it's not time to be gambling with rookies....but imo if he'd have been given the same shot that Zhogin got he'd be producing better than him and who knows maybe even be close to a ppg?!?!

Old
03-31-2006, 01:44 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Hard to say. The stint Kost had in montreal was very impressive though. I still don't understand why Gainey sent Kost down after saying that he was providing a great effort.
Me neither?!!? I remember he played during a couple of the blowouts and he wasw really the only player doing anything?!

Old
03-31-2006, 01:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD
Am I the only one that thinks that Kostitsyn is better than Perezhogin?? honestly I think if he had been given a better shot (since he is a scorer being put on a scoring line would be a first) he would've stuck with the team. Now I know there are some die hard Zhogin fans and ppl that just flat ouyt don't agree with me but lets keep it civil...

Or I will crush you!

What are you going off to compare them? Kostitsyn has played in only a small amount of NHL games and looked good but who knows if he can keep it up. Perezhogin has struggled mightly to produce for sure. It's hard to compare them at the NHL level cause Kostitsyn has seen such little time. In the AHL Perezhogin played on a better team but also put up better numbers then Kostitsyn did in his 2nd year. In the RSL, Perezhogin at 19 years old was playing on the 2nd/4th line and was one of the leading goal scorers on his team, also played for the Senior National team and contributed during Euro Cup. Kostitsyn has been great at times internationally, lighting up the U-18's, both were really good at their final U-20's.

For me personally, as someone that has to rank these guys, it's been very hard to do. On one hand, Perezhogin has proven he can produce at every level but the NHL. He's been great in the RSL (I saw him a lot last year and he was scoring highlight reel goals) was so impressive in Hamilton (imo outplayed Higgins/Plekanec) started scoring goals in bunches during his rookie year, was a force in the playoffs. This year he's sucked for a large part of the season imo.

Kostitsyn I got to see in the RSL, was impressed but he never was able to stick and while he was almost a goal per game in the Russian juniors, it was still a concern. Last year in Hamilton he struggled to produce, although his defensive game made a great improvement, very impressive imo. loved to see a player really improve upon their weaknesses. I would think Jarvis had a lot to do with that.

Frankly I like both a lot and am glad both are in the organization. I am concerned about Perezhogin's future, will he ever be able to fully adapt to the NHL? Imo he's highly skilled but just has not shown it this year. What does that mean, will he ever show it or is his lack of strength, confidence effecting his game too much? He's been largely ineffective imo. Kostitsyn has made big big strides in his all round game but still has much work to do. I like what I have seen from him in Hamilton and the Habs but we'll have to see if he can do it full time.

At this point I consider Kostitsyn to have the higher upside but he's never really put it all together outside some tournaments. If he can play at the level I think he can, then the Habs should have a good one. Perezhogin on the other has shown he can put it all together at every level but the NHL. Is this just a bad year for him, can he rebound next year and be the player that many think he can be, a top line scoring threat, guess we'll see.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:01 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
What are you going off to compare them? Kostitsyn has played in only a small amount of NHL games and looked good but who knows if he can keep it up. Perezhogin has struggled mightly to produce for sure. It's hard to compare them at the NHL level cause Kostitsyn has seen such little time. In the AHL Perezhogin played on a better team but also put up better numbers then Kostitsyn did in his 2nd year. In the RSL, Perezhogin at 19 years old was playing on the 2nd/4th line and was one of the leading goal scorers on his team, also played for the Senior National team and contributed during Euro Cup. Kostitsyn has been great at times internationally, lighting up the U-18's, both were really good at their final U-20's.

For me personally, as someone that has to rank these guys, it's been very hard to do. On one hand, Perezhogin has proven he can produce at every level but the NHL. He's been great in the RSL (I saw him a lot last year and he was scoring highlight reel goals) was so impressive in Hamilton (imo outplayed Higgins/Plekanec) started scoring goals in bunches during his rookie year, was a force in the playoffs. This year he's sucked for a large part of the season imo.

Kostitsyn I got to see in the RSL, was impressed but he never was able to stick and while he was almost a goal per game in the Russian juniors, it was still a concern. Last year in Hamilton he struggled to produce, although his defensive game made a great improvement, very impressive imo. loved to see a player really improve upon their weaknesses. I would think Jarvis had a lot to do with that.

Frankly I like both a lot and am glad both are in the organization. I am concerned about Perezhogin's future, will he ever be able to fully adapt to the NHL? Imo he's highly skilled but just has not shown it this year. What does that mean, will he ever show it or is his lack of strength, confidence effecting his game too much? He's been largely ineffective imo. Kostitsyn has made big big strides in his all round game but still has much work to do. I like what I have seen from him in Hamilton and the Habs but we'll have to see if he can do it full time.

At this point I consider Kostitsyn to have the higher upside but he's never really put it all together outside some tournaments. If he can play at the level I think he can, then the Habs should have a good one. Perezhogin on the other has shown he can put it all together at every level but the NHL. Is this just a bad year for him, can he rebound next year and be the player that many think he can be, a top line scoring threat, guess we'll see.
Always love reading your posts thnx mtl.
Kost has been one of my fav prospects since he was drafted i just think that right now we could use him on the first line instead of ryder and let ryder earn his top line spot while playing on the third or fourth line. That being said, if I was Coach I probably still wouldn't make any drastic changes like that right now because it's not time to be gambling.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Kost has been one of my fav prospects since he was drafted i just think that right now we could use him on the first line instead of ryder and let ryder earn his top line spot while playing on the third or fourth line. That being said, if I was Coach I probably still wouldn't make any drastic changes like that right now because it's not time to be gambling.
thanks. But no way does any GM take out your leading goal scorer for an unknown rookie. If anything I would sit Perezhogin and play Kostitsyn but not at this time of year. Perezhogin plays a better all round game and while he's not producing, you got to have guys that won't hurt in your own end. Kostitsyn would be too much of a gamble at this point imo. When the dogs season is over, perhaps call him up to let him work out with the team but not to play in any games.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:10 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
thanks. But no way does any GM take out your leading goal scorer for an unknown rookie. If anything I would sit Perezhogin and play Kostitsyn but not at this time of year. Perezhogin plays a better all round game and while he's not producing, you got to have guys that won't hurt in your own end. Kostitsyn would be too much of a gamble at this point imo. When the dogs season is over, perhaps call him up to let him work out with the team but not to play in any games.
I agree 100% on bringing him up after the dogs season and let him feel the atmosphere around the team..
btw i didn't mean to take Ryder out of the lineup...he is key on the PP .. I just meant to demote him to the fourth line becuz of his attrocious 5-on-5 play.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:10 PM
zurg999

I have noticed that Perez' confidence swells and ebbs, depending on how the game is going for him. At times, you can really see that he wants to take control of the play. Little glimpses, but I really think it's only a matter of time until he breaks out.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:12 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

right now, Perez is useless... That's all I have to say.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Le Maroons

I don't watch much hockey other than NHL and some CHL games. That being said I've seen Perezhogin all year, he has not impressed me at all. Kost hasn't played much in the NHL but to me looked better than Perez, but how good would he be compared to Perez in a full season? Probably not much better, how many rookies are gonna make an impact in one season (Higgins, Plekanec)? Kost looks more solid and seems to have a heavy shot, Perez is fast but no finish, he works hard but seems weak (even though he may have ended Primeau's career). I trust management that Perez had less to work on than Kost.

I think there will be room for more rookies to make an impact next year.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Question about Kost:

Assuming he doesn't play another game for the Habs this year, but makes this team next year...

Will he be considered a rookie next year?

He played 12 games for us this year. Does anyone know the cutoff for being considered a rookie in the NHL?

Old
03-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Question about Kost:

Assuming he doesn't play another game for the Habs this year, but makes this team next year...

Will he be considered a rookie next year?

He played 12 games for us this year. Does anyone know the cutoff for being considered a rookie in the NHL?
14 I believe.

Edit: Actually it's 25.

Old
03-31-2006, 02:25 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
14 I believe.
next years Calder winner???
Andrei Kostitsyn!!!!

I'm not that big a homer....lol

Old
03-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I'm also a big fan of Kostitsyn...IMO, he will be better then Perezhogin. Kost seems to be so strong when he have the puck and his shot is incredible. He's not as fast as Perez but he's a better passer and he can easily find an open player. When he was in Montreal, he was always finding one of his teammates and he was creating a lot of scoring chances.

Kostitsyn don't have a good balance and it's somthing that he can't really work on at this point. It's a weakness but not the biggest one. He's not afraid to go into trafic and he will land a couple of bodychecks per game...

As for replacing Ryder, I don't agree...for now. I'm not a big Ryder fan and I think that we should trade him within 2 years. We could land a pretty good player for him. But right now, we have to keep him around. He's our best scorer for now and he's an asset on the PP. Kostitsyn will most likely start in Montreal next year so we will see what he can do and how consistant he is...if he's good, he will be able to replace Ryder.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:17 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Kostitsyn will be a great player. The only reason he slipped down the draft order was because of his seizures, but that problem seems to be gone.
I have heard he does have consistency problems in Hamilton from shift to shift or game to game. On the other hand when he was with the Habs he was amazing out there, usually the best player on the ice. He was physical and has the ability to make moves and stick handle the puck at full speed these players are few and far between.

Perezhogin has the breakaway speed to turn into a ziggy palffy type player. I think next year they will both be very productive possibly on the same line.

Would Kostitsyn have done better this year - IMO it would all be relative to his playing time, if he was treated as Perezhogin was I do not believe he would have done much more? Julien was the toughest on Alexander of all three rookie forwards it will take a player long periods of time to get past that and regain their confidence.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
I'm also a big fan of Kostitsyn...IMO, he will be better then Perezhogin. Kost seems to be so strong when he have the puck and his shot is incredible. He's not as fast as Perez but he's a better passer and he can easily find an open player. When he was in Montreal, he was always finding one of his teammates and he was creating a lot of scoring chances.

Kostitsyn don't have a good balance and it's somthing that he can't really work on at this point. It's a weakness but not the biggest one. He's not afraid to go into trafic and he will land a couple of bodychecks per game...

As for replacing Ryder, I don't agree...for now.
Great post .

Old
03-31-2006, 03:34 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Ryder is useless unless we are on the pp. All I said was that Ryder should be on the third or fourth line right now because he does nothing even strength. I am 100% sure that Kostitsyn would be a better fit "right now" on that line, he is a perfect complement to koivu and higgins, he has a wicked shot and can create space and find the open man. BUT I would only give him his shot next year as for right now it is way too late to start experimenting. I don't doubt that Ryder will regain his form in Even-Strength play but if we were at lets say game #38 right now I'd definetly vote for Kostitsyn to be on the first.

Old
03-31-2006, 03:36 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR
Would Kostitsyn have done better this year - IMO it would all be relative to his playing time, if he was treated as Perezhogin was I do not believe he would have done much more? Julien was the toughest on Alexander of all three rookie forwards it will take a player long periods of time to get past that and regain their confidence.
My point exactly... we call up a scoring forward and use him on the fourth line? at least give him the shot on the first or second. imo he wouldve stuck with the team instead of perezhogin or maybe that whole ferland being called up wouldve never happened

Old
03-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
From what we could enjoy of both with the habs this year. Unless Perezhogin makes a 180 degrees turnover, Kostitsyn will have pass him bye in the habs depth chart by november next year imo.

Doesnt mean i dont like PErezhogin upside, but Kostitsyn game looked so much more nhl-suited it's not even close... for now.

Old
03-31-2006, 07:59 PM
oli500

Quote:

Let ryder earn his spot by playing him on the fourth line?? sorry 24 goals, 28 goals in his second season ryder has earned his spot.

Old
03-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Transported Upstater

From watching him in the AHL last year (assuming he's improved quite a bit), AK displayed he had more all-around talent than I thought.

He looked like he had the potential to be much more than just a scorer (although he was struggling offensively).

Good to see AK is progressing.

Old
03-31-2006, 10:35 PM
paddy

I'm hoping Perez adapts better next year because so far, he's not been showing great offensive awareness in the offensive zone. He's great on the forecheck, but he doesn't position himself well enough to help his linemates in the offensive zone. He's always hanging high in the slot waiting for a pass and doesn't move, so he's covered most of the time. He hasn't learned how to cycle and support his linemates. He's shown some flashes, but he needs to improve his offensive positioning if he wants to produce better in the NHL.

Kost has actually shown better offensive awareness and positioning from his brief stint in Montreal. I wasn't really high on this guy for the last couple of years, but I have to say he really really impressed me when he played with the Habs this year. He was physical, showed decent speed, positioned himself well, made some great passes, and gave us a glimpse of his great shot (he didn't shoot enough, but I'm definately not worried about that).

We'll see how they develop over time, and that's what will separate them down the road.

Old
04-01-2006, 08:47 AM
ludger

Kost can't even score 20 in the AHL and some of you want him to replace Ryder are you guys really serious.

Closed Thread