HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

John Tavares. Is it possible?

Old
07-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Adam Michaels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
How often has this been a factor? Subban and Stamkos aren't with Toronto, Weber, Price and Gallagher aren't with the Canucks, Pacioretty isn't with New York, etc.
Many often forget that Gallagher is actually from Edmonton. So he'd be an "Oiler." But he is always linked to Vancouver because of his junior years with the Giants.

Adam Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
Many often forget that Gallagher is actually from Edmonton. So he'd be an "Oiler." But he is always linked to Vancouver because of his junior years with the Giants.
Whoops... you're right. Thanks.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Subban was a Habs fan, so was Nazem Kadri.
True. Point remains that childhood teams are mostly irrelevant when players are deciding where to park their careers. Tavares will almost certainly sign with NYI, but in the very unlikely event he takes his show on the road, it'll probably be to another American city.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:19 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
True. Point remains that childhood teams are mostly irrelevant when players are deciding where to park their careers. Tavares will almost certainly sign with NYI, but in the very unlikely event he takes his show on the road, it'll probably be to another American city.
I agree completely.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 06:43 AM
1stLineCenter

John Tavares will never be a hab, we will need to draft our version of JT or any other star center for that matter, just like any other Canadian team.

1stLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 08:43 AM
HabsFather
Twitter: @HabsFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLineCenter View Post
John Tavares will never be a hab, we will need to draft our version of JT or any other star center for that matter, just like any other Canadian team.
Right. Now all we need is Pierre Mcguire to say that he won't as well. .

Last edited by HabsFather: 07-09-2017 at 10:31 AM.
HabsFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:27 AM
get25

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinse77 View Post
If John tavares dont sign in New York during this year. Is it possible to montreal for acquire him?

We know that the contract of pleky will be to the end . same as markov if he sign... We could have a lot of money to give him.. And we know that Tavares is a good friend to Weber, Price and cie.

We know that he doesnt like the ice rink in New York...

In my opinion, we can think about it and believe he will come here
We do have a serious chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I really doubt he would be interested in Montreal. Just the way it goes.
I would love it thou.
Id guess a Cali team, TO, NYRags, Maybe an east coast US team.
He will def call his team thou
Toronto won't be able to have Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly, Zaitsev and fit it below the cap. Gardiner may come off the books but they will either resign him for more or get another d-men that will cost more.
Quote:
Tavares is definitely a dream. This could play out very similarly to the Stamkos situation. The fact the Islanders don't have a home rink situation worked out can hurt their chances of extending him. They're on their way out of Brooklyn Center and no foreseeable plan in place.

One can hope the Islanders crap the bed this year so a trade can be made at the deadline. Then Habs can ship Pacioretty ++ for Tavares.

If JT ever makes it to the Habs roster, it would fix the whole forward group.
JT won't win a cup in NYI.

Comparing him to Stamkos who signed with a stacked team in Tampa means nothing.

JT wants a cup.

Now giving Pacioretty ++ for JT at TDL is crazy.
Anything major given is removing us from cup contention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Never going to happen.

Don't have the assets to trade for him, and he won't come here in FA.

Hes either going to sign in NY, or he's going to go to another team that has at least 1 more great Center. There will be no pressure on him this way, and it will replicate the Pittsburgh model which seems to be working out pretty good.

1-2 of Matthews-Tavares looks pretty appealing?

Much nicer than Tavares-Danault.
Toronto can not pay all their young players + JT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
ok but even as stupid as snow is , it's gonna take a lot more than Galchenyuk + to get JT
IF any team offer Pacioretty+ to Snow at TDL, he would jump on it and dance till the Snow comes back.
Because if Snow trades JT it means he is going to loose him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link67 View Post
Anyone who doesn't think the deal requires at least Pacioretty and Either Galchenyuk or Gallagher + some other stuff is reeaaalllllyyyy fooling themselves.
Why not make it Pacioretty + Gallagher + Lehkonen + Drouin while you are at it?
Quote:
They can take Pacioretty and Gallagher. If a trade is made and it exlcudes Galchenyuk & Lehkonen, I'll be pleased.
Another trade where we give too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarneylad View Post
Tavares is actually more likely to happen in Montreal than Toronto imo.

Only because Toronto is about to sign Matthews to a contract in the neighborhood of 8-10M, Marner likely 6-8M, Nylander 6-8M. That is their big three. If they need to go out and get anybody money wise it is a defenseman.

Tavares in Montreal is the missing piece. He instantly turns Montreal into a real contender. Pleks off the cap next year is 6M freed.
There you go.

Real competition will probably be NYR with Nash coming off the books.
What center do they have? They just hired DD...
Their best center is Zibanejad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
Rangers will be stiff competition especially with Nash coming off the books. But Lundqvist will be past his prime so having Price may be a serious advantage.
The King will be 36 years old and keeps the same SCap for 4 years.
He might have a skin infection and Huska, Shesterkin or Wall could become top goalies.

Very little chance Henrik gets a cup.
Quote:
NYR would be serious competition.

They moved to Barclays center which is 36 minutes drive from Nassau Coliseum (but 1h30-1h40 when there is traffic).
I guess that JT's home was near Nassau Coliseum.

Could be even further to go to Barclays center if he was water front...

He is out of NYI.
Not sure Snow will be able to get more than picks + prospects at TDL.
If you are a contender, why would you give away assets for a rental.

get25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:51 AM
get25

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFather View Post
Right. Now all we need is Pierre Mcguire to say that he won't as well. .
He said that?
If that is the case, it will never happen.

So let's just pretend that PM "said" that he will come here.

get25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:53 AM
HabsFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by get25 View Post
He said that?
If that is the case, it will never happen.

So let's just pretend that PM "said" that he will come here.
Pieer MaGuire said "Face it. Karl Alzenr is never signing in Montreal! face the facts" the very next day Alzner was signed.

so...in theory..if we can get Pierre to say the same thing about Tavares, we've got'em!

Old
07-09-2017, 12:24 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Would love to have him but would be concerned about his declining production. 66 and 70 points last two seasons. I get that he plays on the Isle but those are not numbers you'd want to give up the future and blow up your cap.

Anyone here watch the Isles regularily that can explain the drop in production? Has not been the same player without Okposo which is concerning, the top guys can usually make second tier players better.
Have you seen okposos stats since being shipped to buffalo. The guy was riding JT's coat tails. JT is 26. He isnt declining at all. Hes very close to PPG despite being on a terrible team.

Hes also a beast in the playoffs. More points in 22 games than Pqtches in 38

DangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:38 PM
calder candidate

I don't see MTL being able to trade for JT because we don't have the asset and even if we did it would leave our team with zero talent to surround him which would make it impossible to resign him. If MTL get JT it will be via UFA.

calder candidate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:41 PM
FazChenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLineCenter View Post
mcdavid, matthews, monahan, Horvat, scheifle, draisatl says hello

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:46 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by calder candidate View Post
I don't see MTL being able to trade for JT because we don't have the asset and even if we did it would leave our team with zero talent to surround him which would make it impossible to resign him. If MTL get JT it will be via UFA.
That's a whole other question. Would NYI trade him before he becomes UFA? If they are in a playoff position, which I think would also give them a chance at re-signing him, I doubt he gets traded. However if NYI find themselves on the outside of a playoff spot, they may want to trade him at the deadline to the highest bidder, which may be a lot less than his actual worth.

He has a 8 team NTC, which i don't see hurting NYI negotiating a trade. Habs would be desperate for a center like him for a playoff push, but would it be wise to outbid other teams, when maybe with the cap situation in Montreal being so favorable, they just sign him as a UFA...

Tons of scenarios, and even more questions.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:57 PM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
That's a whole other question. Would NYI trade him before he becomes UFA? If they are in a playoff position, which I think would also give them a chance at re-signing him, I doubt he gets traded. However if NYI find themselves on the outside of a playoff spot, they may want to trade him at the deadline to the highest bidder, which may be a lot less than his actual worth.
NYI is a badly managed team. They should try to resign Tavares now or trade him. Waiting for the deadline is stupid his value will be a lot less.

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:02 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
NYI is a badly managed team. They should try to resign Tavares now or trade him. Waiting for the deadline is stupid his value will be a lot less.
You make it sound so easy. I believe that Tavares is telling them that he wants to re-sign, but it will depend on how the season goes. He has 587 career games, but only 24 games in the playoffs, 1 playoff round win. If the Islanders are competitive, he will re-sign and the Islanders have no choice but to retain him if they plan on being successful in the near future.

Vicious cycle for the Islanders, that's for sure.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:14 PM
1stLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
mcdavid, matthews, monahan, Horvat, scheifle, draisatl says hello
Exactly my point and once you get one you keep him till he retires.

1stLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:32 PM
habtastic

Quote:
I dunno how much to believe him, but he seemed pretty honest about being pumped/it being a dream to play for his hometown team: Shattenkirk

Could the Habs acquire JT given the coach and roster: Absolutely.

Could the Habs acquire JT given the GM: Definitely not. I don't 100% hate (or dislike) MB, but he's simply not good enough to swing it. I can see Lamoriello and the leafs brass pulling off the coup. Well worth it to trade Nylander/Marner + Kardi (or something like that) for Tavares. It scares the **** out of me.

So many capable Quebecers/Québécois associated with hockey. Why can't we ever get the cream of the crop? IMO Shanahan isn't even THAT bright in terms of "Presidenting", but he surrounded himself perfectly, which is in itself intelligence.

I wonder how Isles fans feel about Tavares seeming to want to move. Must hurt 1000x more than Radu and us. Then again, he still might sign a lifetime contract.

All I am counting on at this point is dumb luck.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:37 PM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I dunno how much to believe him, but he seemed pretty honest about being pumped/it being a dream to play for his hometown team: Shattenkirk

Could the Habs acquire JT given the coach and roster: Absolutely.

Could the Habs acquire JT given the GM: Definitely not. I don't 100% hate (or dislike) MB, but he's simply not good enough to swing it. I can see Lamoriello and the leafs brass pulling off the coup. Well worth it to trade Nylander/Marner + Kardi (or something like that) for Tavares. It scares the **** out of me.

So many capable Quebecers/Québécois associated with hockey. Why can't we ever get the cream of the crop? IMO Shanahan isn't even THAT bright in terms of "Presidenting", but he surrounded himself perfectly, which is in itself intelligence.

I wonder how Isles fans feel about Tavares seeming to want to move. Must hurt 1000x more than Radu and us. Then again, he still might sign a lifetime contract.

All I am counting on at this point is dumb luck.
Based on what?

Bergevin traded for Drouin, Weber, Petry in the last 3yrs....what's Lamoriello's body of work in that timeframe?

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:51 PM
HabsFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Based on what?

Bergevin traded for Drouin, Weber, Petry in the last 3yrs....what's Lamoriello's body of work in that timeframe?
i agree. we don't finish in the basement where getting top 3 picks is a luxury.

Old
07-09-2017, 02:00 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Based on what?

Quote:
i agree. we don't finish in the basement where getting top 3 picks is a luxury.
First, I'm looking at the teams he's built before. He understood the game when NJ reinvented the game, and he iced a semi-dynasty with Gio and Gomez as parts of that!

As far as the leafs are concerned, I think he learned from NJ in the recent past that tanking was required. You can say that the leafs were simply bad for some of those years, but there was some surgical precision involved. They didn't try to patch stuff up when they saw it wasn't working.

Since, they've a) been putting together a lineup even for the upcoming season that will be a force to win the ATL, and b) their drafting outside the 1st round has been pretty damn good too.

No doubt, I can't stand the fact that the leafs tanked their way to success. Just saying that the entirety of the leafs management team is the exact opposite of what it used to be, with us looking more like the John Ferguson Jr. days.

as a third point, c) I think the've re-booted the leafs effectively so that they're attractive to NHLers, and unfortunately, there are more elite level Toronto boys currently. Thank god for Drouin. Point being that they command respect around the league.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 02:21 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Toronto will not go after Tavares, he would cost too much on a long contract for them. That's not the way they are rebuilding. They will stay with Matthews, Nylander, and Marner instead of dumping one of those plus assets for Tavares.

With that out of the way, it is doubtful Tavares will sign with the Habs unless he is an UFA. Thing is, what would he cost? For him to sign here he would be turning down $10M for 8 years with NYI, so what would it take to get him here? IMO, it would have to be a strong incentive of money, more than Price makes and probably closer to $12M plus per year on a seven year contract. That would be $84M as vs $80M to stay in NYI so even that amount might be too low. That puts us then looking at McDavid numbers or higher. Is he worth that much for that long?

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:07 PM
De Montreal
help

This is hypothetical, but say he signs here at 10M$, tying 39M$ around Price-Weber-Tavares, do you think we can win with this lineup?

Pacioretty - Tavares - Lehkonen (16M$)
Byron - Galchenyuk - Drouin (11.5M$)
Hudon - Danault - Hemsky (3.5M$)
De La Rose - Holland - McCarron (2.1M$)
33.1M$ for forwards

Alzner - Weber (9M$)
Jerabek - Benn (2.1M$)
Davidson - Morrow (1.25M$)
12.35M$ for defence

Price (10M$)
Lindgren (1M$)
11M$ for goaltenders

56,45M$ total - maybe we can even keep Petry

Just need to trade Plekanec, Shaw salary maybe by trading Gallagher with them

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:11 PM
HabsFather

can someone provide a source where JT has expressed he would not sign an extension, because all the research i have done has said he very much wants to sign an extension with the isles.

Old
07-09-2017, 05:35 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
can someone provide a source where JT has expressed he would not sign an extension, because all the research i have done has said he very much wants to sign an extension with the isles.
Seems this is what he has said, and yet he has not signed...

Can you imagine for a second, if Price had not signed as of early July, how this board would be flipping out!! Isles fans are not real comfortable these days, and a little testy to a certain degree...can't say I blame them...JT holds all the cards right now, and not the Isles...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:42 PM
24rings

Quote:
Born in Edm but moved to Van when he was a kid.

24rings is offline   Reply With Quote