HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

John Tavares. Is it possible?

Old
07-09-2017, 05:49 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

vCash: 500
Tavares would be a fool to sign with NYI. **** arena whose location is unknown at this point. A team that is in shambles with bad management, bad ownership, bad everything. Islanders answer to keeping Tavares in NY was acquiring ****ing Eberle. A garbage player Edmonton didn't want anymore. They've dealt every single winger Tavares had some chemistry with. Money could be an incentive for him to stay if he couldn't get the same absurd contract elsewhere. NYI have zero chance of winning a cup in the foreseeable future.

Tavares would be a fool to sign with them. He should request a trade right now. It would force the islanders to do a sign and trade to get max value. And Tavares would have the last say because he would only sign with a team he wants to play for.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:50 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
Have you seen okposos stats since being shipped to buffalo. The guy was riding JT's coat tails.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Kyle Okposo's stats since he joined the Sabres. He had 45 points in 65 games, 56 point pace. Considering the Sabres top centre was injured and missed 21 games, I don't think there's anything wrong with that all.

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:53 PM
sampollock

Never happen, never

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 05:53 PM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
First, I'm looking at the teams he's built before. He understood the game when NJ reinvented the game, and he iced a semi-dynasty with Gio and Gomez as parts of that!

As far as the leafs are concerned, I think he learned from NJ in the recent past that tanking was required. You can say that the leafs were simply bad for some of those years, but there was some surgical precision involved. They didn't try to patch stuff up when they saw it wasn't working.

Since, they've a) been putting together a lineup even for the upcoming season that will be a force to win the ATL, and b) their drafting outside the 1st round has been pretty damn good too.

No doubt, I can't stand the fact that the leafs tanked their way to success. Just saying that the entirety of the leafs management team is the exact opposite of what it used to be, with us looking more like the John Ferguson Jr. days.

as a third point, c) I think the've re-booted the leafs effectively so that they're attractive to NHLers, and unfortunately, there are more elite level Toronto boys currently. Thank god for Drouin. Point being that they command respect around the league.
What was the last big trade Lamoriello made?

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 07:22 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Louise View Post
Tavares would be a fool to sign with NYI. **** arena whose location is unknown at this point. A team that is in shambles with bad management, bad ownership, bad everything. Islanders answer to keeping Tavares in NY was acquiring ****ing Eberle. A garbage player Edmonton didn't want anymore. They've dealt every single winger Tavares had some chemistry with. Money could be an incentive for him to stay if he couldn't get the same absurd contract elsewhere. NYI have zero chance of winning a cup in the foreseeable future.

Tavares would be a fool to sign with them. He should request a trade right now. It would force the islanders to do a sign and trade to get max value. And Tavares would have the last say because he would only sign with a team he wants to play for.
So what you are saying, is that he shouldn't sign with NYI, but also that there is no incentive to sign here either.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 07:49 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
What was the last big trade Lamoriello made?
Kovalchuk.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:27 PM
tooji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
No room to give him his 11-12M with a 10.5M Price and 8M Weber.
Without marky mark and pleks we got 11M right there

tooji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:32 PM
cjbhab

tavares isn't coming. nobody is. our only hope is this poehling kid is the next gretzky.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:37 PM
sampollock

JT would cost the future

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:46 PM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Kovalchuk.
7yrs ago, and he lost that trade big time.....and some posters think Lamoriello is able to pull off a big trade over Bergy who's pulled off big trades in back to back years while Lamoriello's dates back 7 ****in years.

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:51 PM
deandebean

Is it possible? No.

Prochain appel...

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:28 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
7yrs ago, and he lost that trade big time.....and some posters think Lamoriello is able to pull off a big trade over Bergy who's pulled off big trades in back to back years while Lamoriello's dates back 7 ****in years.
I'm not following this whole discussion but I'd like to know why you think Lamoriello lost the Kovalchuk trade?

Traded from New Jersey Devils with Johnny Oduya, Nicklas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, draft pick rights round 1 pick in the 2010 draft (Kevin Hayes) and round 2 pick in the 2010 draft (Justin Holl) to Atlanta Thrashers for Ilya Kovalchuk, Anssi Salmela and round 2 pick in the 2010 draft (Jon Merrill)

Hayes and Holl drafted by Chicago, those picks trade for Byfuglien+

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Halakitlikethat

There's no chance in hell lol.

Is it October yet?

Halakitlikethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:35 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
JT would cost the future
What future? he would BECOME the present and future

pacioretty and whatever else we'd give up is not the future

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 11:02 PM
KingGallagherXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I really doubt he would be interested in Montreal. Just the way it goes.
I don't think that's the way it goes.

Out of all the teams with a cup window in the next 4 years, how many can get 10 million in cap space?

(By cup window, I mean by adding a piece like Tavares. Then we would be contenders every year until Weber and Price become too old)

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 11:22 PM
RickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGallagherXI View Post
I don't think that's the way it goes.

Out of all the teams with a cup window in the next 4 years, how many can get 10 million in cap space?

(By cup window, I mean by adding a piece like Tavares. Then we would be contenders every year until Weber and Price become too old)
Yeah not every team can sign Tavares. Looking at CapFriendly quickly, I would say Nashville has a lot of cap space left and would be a great fit, they need another offensive C. San Jose could be a fit too, they'll need a 1C when Thornton leaves or retires and they'll have the cap space needed.

Surprisingly, even Pittsburgh could have the cap space needed... Maybe Tavares would prefer a team where he'll have more ice time though, and maybe Pittsburgh wouldn't want to give him more money than Crosby and Malkin.

Other than that, other teams could afford him, but I doubt he'd go play for Vegas or other bottom feeders.

So realistically, I would say his options are NYI, Nashville, SJ, MTL and maybe Pittsburgh. Maybe I'm missing other realistic options?

RickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 12:24 AM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Well, he did pretty good in getting rid of Phaneuf and he did get Zaitsev and Andersen.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 01:22 AM
Goldenhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooji View Post
Without marky mark and pleks we got 11M right there
And if Juulsen develops as expected, we could also move Petry.. I think Juulsen isnt that far from the NHL..

Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 01:28 AM
Goldenhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Is it possible? No.

Prochain appel...
why not? If NYI arent making the playoffs at the deadline (what is a strong possibility) and that Tavares has no intention to sign there, we are in good posture to get the guy IMO..

Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:00 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhands View Post
why not? If NYI arent making the playoffs at the deadline (what is a strong possibility) and that Tavares has no intention to sign there, we are in good posture to get the guy IMO..
If Tavares is not re-signing, then Islanders should go for cheap assets and dump bad contracts.

Byron
Shaw (33% retained, cap hit 2.6M to NYI)
Plekanec (50% retained, NYI pay $2.5M for the season)
choice of Montoya or Fucale
1st 2019
2nd 2018
choice of Davidson or Jerabek

Tavares
Halak
Kulemin
Beauvillier
choice to dump Ladd on Habs; if dumped, then no retention on Shaw

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 07:05 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

If Tavares decides to leave the Islanders, the Habs have just an equal chance as any other team in the league to acquire him. In truth, Tavares is a perfect fit for Montreal and Montreal is a perfect fit for Tavares.

- Tavares joins a team with a great defense and one of the best Goaltenders in the league. Teaming up with Price/Weber would be very tempting for Tavares

- Habs Have a opening for a #1C and Tavares would fit perfect. Habs are transformed into a cup contender IMO. Assuming Galchenyuk, +, + is traded for Tavares... line-up looks solid and I think Tavares would love to play with a player like Drouin

Pretty solid top 6 right here! Probably our best top 6 in many many years!
Lehkonen / Tavares / Drouin
Patch / Danault / Gallagher

- Habs have cap space to fit Tavares in. There are no major issues with this at all. Give him the same AAV contract as Price or slightly under (Maybe 8 years at $9.5 or $10M AAV gets him signed).

- Habs have a very good young core at the age of 25 and under. Galchenyuk, Drouin, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Danault. However, Galchenyuk is likely the guy going the other way.

- Contrary to the popular believe... "Habs are doomed and we got no assets to make trades", this is far from the truth. Galchenyuk, 2018 1st, + would get the deal done if the Islanders are forced to negotiate with the Habs because Tavares is pushing to be traded to Montreal.

Habaholicgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 07:35 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaholicgolfer View Post
If Tavares decides to leave the Islanders, the Habs have just an equal chance as any other team in the league to acquire him. In truth, Tavares is a perfect fit for Montreal and Montreal is a perfect fit for Tavares.

- Tavares joins a team with a great defense and one of the best Goaltenders in the league. Teaming up with Price/Weber would be very tempting for Tavares

- Habs Have a opening for a #1C and Tavares would fit perfect. Habs are transformed into a cup contender IMO. Assuming Galchenyuk, +, + is traded for Tavares... line-up looks solid and I think Tavares would love to play with a player like Drouin

Pretty solid top 6 right here! Probably our best top 6 in many many years!
Lehkonen / Tavares / Drouin
Patch / Danault / Gallagher

- Habs have cap space to fit Tavares in. There are no major issues with this at all. Give him the same AAV contract as Price or slightly under (Maybe 8 years at $9.5 or $10M AAV gets him signed).

- Habs have a very good young core at the age of 25 and under. Galchenyuk, Drouin, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Danault. However, Galchenyuk is likely the guy going the other way.

- Contrary to the popular believe... "Habs are doomed and we got no assets to make trades", this is far from the truth. Galchenyuk, 2018 1st, + would get the deal done if the Islanders are forced to negotiate with the Habs because Tavares is pushing to be traded to Montreal.
Excellent post.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 07:40 AM
FazChenyuk

i would rather trade captain casperetty for tavares then galchy

Drouin-Tavares-GAlchenyuk
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 08:02 AM
Rockomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhands View Post
And if Juulsen develops as expected, we could also move Petry.. I think Juulsen isnt that far from the NHL..
Juulsen at his best does not make Petry expendable. We still defensemen who can skate with the puck.

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
i would rather trade captain casperetty for tavares then galchy

Drouin-Tavares-GAlchenyuk
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
You must factor in what the Islanders would prefer (not just what the Habs prefer). They have a great group of young prospects and don't think they would be interested in Patch who is near 30 and needs a new contract in 2 seasons. They would want younger players to build around what they already have.

Habaholicgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote