HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Bigfoot/Jagr Sighting in Edmonton?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2017, 10:39 PM
  #51
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Thats my point. So why would not Letestu's one-timer be there this season? I suppose we'll see what Strome brings.
Why wouldnt it be? I dont see your point at all.
Teams have to key on McDavid and Drai...thats not going to suddenly change this season.
History suggests that Letestu is a solid PP option on the one timer...he did it all last season.

You keep suggesting that Strome will be a PP option....based on what?

Strome could be in time...I guess its possible. Based on what we know right now though there is little evidence to support the suggestion that he is even remotely close to a better option than Letestu especially considering that Letestu is also much better on the dot.

I get wanting to believe that Strome is going to magically start putting up offensive numbers but he has a longs ways to go to becoming a consistent effective offensive player.

He was a 4th liner last season on an average Islander team. He is now on a better than average team...his game needs to step up big time.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:40 PM
  #52
oobga
Tier 2 Fan
 
oobga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,054
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
There's no space for Jagr, I just don't see it.

Maroon - McDavid - Strome
Lucic - Draisaitl - Slepyshev (Chia stated that he likes him a lot and he showed a lot in the playoffs)
Jokinen - RNH - Puljujarvi (Chia stated that he expects Pulju to make the team and having Jokinen with Pulju is valuable)
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian (Caggiula isn't going to the minors...)
Extras: Pakarinen, Khaira

Chia said that he wants to give the young guys an opportunity to play and signing Jags takes ice time away from Slepyshev, Pulju, and Caggiula.
Could see that happening, but Jagr would without a doubt be far more effective in that 2RW spot than Slep. Think Slep still needs to be developing in a bottom 6 role. He's still very raw and has big swings in the energy he has in his game from night to night.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:48 PM
  #53
Bliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Could see that happening, but Jagr would without a doubt be far more effective in that 2RW spot than Slep. Think Slep still needs to be developing in a bottom 6 role. He's still very raw and has big swings in the energy he has in his game from night to night.
Ok so he drops into the bottom 6, who currently in the bottom 6 gets pushed into the press box?

Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:52 PM
  #54
oobga
Tier 2 Fan
 
oobga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,054
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
Ok so he drops into the bottom 6, who currently in the bottom 6 gets pushed into the press box?
Pulju in the AHL?

Maybe a crazy idea though now that we signed Jokinen, which seems to telegraph the idea that management expects Pulju to be in the big show being mentored. That's mainly why I say I can see happening what you listed for the lineup.


On the topic, just saw Stauffer tweet about his projected lines:


oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:59 PM
  #55
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 18,467
vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Pulju in the AHL?

Maybe a crazy idea though now that we signed Jokinen, which seems to telegraph the idea that management expects Pulju to be in the big show being mentored. That's mainly why I say I can see happening what you listed for the lineup.


On the topic, just saw Stauffer tweet about his projected lines:

weird/

it would be nice to see rnh on the wing.....but i figured it would have been tried already if the coaches likes him at wing.

is it true nuge was a winger for the whc?

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:03 PM
  #56
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Why wouldnt it be? I dont see your point at all.
Teams have to key on McDavid and Drai...thats not going to suddenly change this season.
History suggests that Letestu is a solid PP option on the one timer...he did it all last season.

You keep suggesting that Strome will be a PP option....based on what?

Strome could be in time...I guess its possible. Based on what we know right now though there is little evidence to support the suggestion that he is even remotely close to a better option than Letestu especially considering that Letestu is also much better on the dot.

I get wanting to believe that Strome is going to magically start putting up offensive numbers but he has a longs ways to go to becoming a consistent effective offensive player.

He was a 4th liner last season on an average Islander team. He is now on a better than average team...his game needs to step up big time.
My point is Letestu is not the key cog of the power play, though he has been very good at his role. I am not saying Strome is a lock for anything, but he has more skill than Letestu. I believe he will get a chance to showcase it at some point. Looks like tremendous shooter, who sits in the same spot as Letestu on the PP. Look at after 1 min. mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmuiMKLA42c

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:05 PM
  #57
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Pulju in the AHL?

Maybe a crazy idea though now that we signed Jokinen, which seems to telegraph the idea that management expects Pulju to be in the big show being mentored. That's mainly why I say I can see happening what you listed for the lineup.


On the topic, just saw Stauffer tweet about his projected lines:

I actually dont mind those lines.
Very curious to see how RNH does along side McDavid.

With the big money that Leon is going to get he has to drive a line so his days as a winger are likely limited. So I think that he is a shoe in to centre the 2nd line.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:09 PM
  #58
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
My point is Letestu is not the key cog of the power play, though he has been very good at his role. I am not saying Strome is a lock for anything, but he has more skill than Letestu. I believe he will get a chance to showcase it at some point.
Of course Letestu isnt the key cog on the PP. He benefits from the extra room provided by McDavid and Leon.
He is good on faceoffs and he has a very good one timer.

I am wait and see on Strome...especially in terms of having him replace an effective player like Letestu. Skill is nothing without smarts and desire.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:11 PM
  #59
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Magician
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 62,163
vCash: 500
Swap Caggiula and Jokinen and I like the look of those lines. Could we FINALLY see RNH slotted in as a sniper?

__________________
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:16 PM
  #60
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Swap Caggiula and Jokinen and I like the look of those lines. Could we FINALLY see RNH slotted in as a sniper?
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jokinen being used on any line. Such a smart versatile player and he still has plenty of skill...he was a great add.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:26 PM
  #61
McHilman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonExpress View Post
Farmer's Market? Sounds like bollocks. But Jagr in a casino? This I would believe.
This intrigues me, we were at the MGM Grand years ago and walked through the sports book area and Jagr was having a drink.

McHilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:38 PM
  #62
SPIRIT
Registered User
 
SPIRIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 444
vCash: 50
Discussing lines in summer is sort of a gag activity, but...

The Stauffer lines are interesting. I like Nuge on the wing. He loses me with Jussi as the 4LW, though.

A big reason we wanted him was for his faceoff ability. Having him paired with Letestu doesn't make sense. He'd be great insulation for a C who isn't face-off adept: Strome, Connor, or Nuge.

SPIRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:45 PM
  #63
Ballz
Registered User
 
Ballz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
I don't dislike any of the team's current wingers, but if Jagr wants a 1 year deal with the Oilers then yes please!

Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:50 PM
  #64
CaptainSexyPants
Registered User
 
CaptainSexyPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Pulju in the AHL?

Maybe a crazy idea though now that we signed Jokinen, which seems to telegraph the idea that management expects Pulju to be in the big show being mentored. That's mainly why I say I can see happening what you listed for the lineup.


On the topic, just saw Stauffer tweet about his projected lines:

Absolutely love these lines. Might swap LW's on 3 and 4, but that's about it.

CaptainSexyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:03 AM
  #65
SK13
T. Yoshi Muchakoopas
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,475
vCash: 50
RW is a damned mess in those projections.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:04 AM
  #66
Pointteen
Registered User
 
Pointteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSexyPants View Post
Absolutely love these lines. Might swap LW's on 3 and 4, but that's about it.
I hate a Strome Caggiula Puljujarvi line.
They would need the softest minutes in the league.

I know how often we see a second centre out for draws, but why sign Jokinen if the plan is fourth line?

I know he will opt in and out at will, but switch Caggiula and Jokinen to start. Let JJ take big draws.

I really like the idea of
Jokinen RNH Puljujarvi with Jokinen taking most draws.
Puljujarvi could be sent streaking 1on1 or alone quite a bit if they are paired with Adambomb

Pointteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:15 AM
  #67
CaptainSexyPants
Registered User
 
CaptainSexyPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
I hate a Strome Caggiula Puljujarvi line.
They would need the softest minutes in the league.

I know how often we see a second centre out for draws, but why sign Jokinen if the plan is fourth line?

I know he will opt in and out at will, but switch Caggiula and Jokinen to start. Let JJ take big draws.

I really like the idea of
Jokinen RNH Puljujarvi with Jokinen taking most draws.
Puljujarvi could be sent streaking 1on1 or alone quite a bit if they are paired with Adambomb
Yeah the more I'm looking at it the less sense it's making. At first glance I was picturing a 3A (#4) and 3B (#3), because you're right; that third line would get eaten up without limited soft minutes. But it still really makes no sense. Jokinen on that 3rd line is a no-brainer.

And to be honest I think RNH with McDavid gave me beer goggles on everything else. Really want that to happen.


Last edited by CaptainSexyPants: 07-09-2017 at 12:23 AM.
CaptainSexyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:21 AM
  #68
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,613
vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
If it's not there for Letestu, why would it be there for Strome? That's the role he would take. Right-handed shooter in the left slot that puts everything McDavid or Draisaitl hands him onto the net.

This is why I want a big right-handed shooter for the point on the PP. Klefbom is not much of a one-time option because he shoots left and has to take passes over his right shoulder. He can't just line up on a feed and crank it. If that option is more of a threat, PKs have to pinch up and take it away, which is going to open a seem more of the time.

We had a top-5 PP without it, I honestly feel like we could have a 25% PP with it.
Because Ryan Strome is a more skilled player than Letestu. He has better puck-moving ability, elusiveness, vision, shot, etc, etc...

As for the PP shooter...Cody Franson is your guy.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:28 AM
  #69
bobbythebrain
Registered User
 
bobbythebrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Because Ryan Strome is a more skilled player than Letestu. He has better puck-moving ability, elusiveness, vision, shot, etc, etc...

As for the PP shooter...Cody Franson is your guy.
Except he hates to backcheck, fight in corners and go to the inside etc,etc

"IF" that's the Strome we see, you are correct, however, Strome for the last 2 years has played like Pouliot and takes lazy a** penalties cuz his effort is below minimum.

Letestu is a superior player right now based on effort

bobbythebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:31 AM
  #70
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,613
vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythebrain View Post
Except he hates to backcheck, fight in corners and go to the inside etc,etc

"IF" that's the Strome we see, you are correct, however, Strome for the last 2 years has played like Pouliot and takes lazy a** penalties cuz his effort is below minimum.

Letestu is a superior player right now based on effort
We are talking about being a PP option. Strome has better offensive instincts than Mark Letestu.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:36 AM
  #71
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythebrain View Post
Except he hates to backcheck, fight in corners and go to the inside etc,etc

"IF" that's the Strome we see, you are correct, however, Strome for the last 2 years has played like Pouliot and takes lazy a** penalties cuz his effort is below minimum.

Letestu is a superior player right now based on effort
Yup...Strome has been anything but a smart offensive player for a while now.

I guess a lot of posters think thats going to magically change now that he is an Oiler. He has potential...but then again so did Yak.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 12:43 AM
  #72
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I actually dont mind those lines.
Really? I think the third line looks pretty bad.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:03 AM
  #73
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Really? I think the third line looks pretty bad.
How so?

Edit: Experience is a potential issue. Switching Jokinen with Caggiula (as Bryan mentioned) should resolve that. He can also help compensate for Stromes F/O deficiencies.


Last edited by guymez: 07-09-2017 at 01:18 AM.
guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:22 AM
  #74
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy
 
Mcnofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,833
vCash: 500
Two NHL level RWs in that list (Slepyshev, Kassian), neither of whom should be playing above the third line unless injuries present.
One player who's never played wing in the NHL (Nuge) playing on the top line.
One virtual rookie (Puljujarvi) who could maybe/maybe not use some time in the AHL unless injuries present.

A lot of maybes. And I'm a fan of Nuge on the wing. And of Puljujarvi.
Not a fan of Strome at C on that third line.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:26 AM
  #75
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
How so?
Not sold on Caggiula at all.
JP hasn't shown much of anything yet. He needs someone on his line who knows what they are doing.
And center that pair with a guy like Strome? I dunno, seems like a recipe for bleeding GA.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.