HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Bigfoot/Jagr Sighting in Edmonton?

Old
07-09-2017, 01:32 AM
EdmontonExpress

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnofool6110 View Post
Two NHL level RWs in that list (Slepyshev, Kassian), neither of whom should be playing above the third line unless injuries present.
One player who's never played wing in the NHL (Nuge) playing on the top line.
One virtual rookie (Puljujarvi) who could maybe/maybe not use some time in the AHL unless injuries present.

A lot of maybes. And I'm a fan of Nuge on the wing. And of Puljujarvi.
Not a fan of Strome at C on that third line.
It's hideous, is what it is. TMac should be fired if this team starts the way I think they will those lines and he thereafter fails to adjust. That's his biggest flaw, and it cost us against Anaheim when we had complete control of that series.

Seriously, I could easily see an 8-12 start given that Sekera will also be out and Benning- another TMac favorite- will be given far more of an opportunity to fill in as a top-four guy than he should be.

RNH has no place on the wing and a 10-point sophomore forward has no business being a lock for a roster spot ahead of training camp- never mind the second line. That's to say nothing of Puljujarvi having a spot handed to him by the looks of it, yet kept away from Jokinen (???).

That's terrible. Stauffer better just be guessing and not giving the fans a preview of what Coach actually has in mind.

EdmontonExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:37 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
We are talking about being a PP option. Strome has better offensive instincts than Mark Letestu.
My bad, I see now that this is a pp discussion. I jumped the gun there however...

Pretty weak argument as Letestu has solid PP #'s throughout his career.

Don't let his 5 v 5 fool you, the guy is solid on the pp

Strome has been a mess all over and his sample sizes don't hold a candle to Letestu

bobbythebrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:43 AM
Hiphopopotamus

vCash: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonExpress View Post
It's hideous, is what it is. TMac should be fired if this team starts the way I think they will those lines and he thereafter fails to adjust. That's his biggest flaw, and it cost us against Anaheim when we had complete control of that series.

Seriously, I could easily see an 8-12 start given that Sekera will also be out and Benning- another TMac favorite- will be given far more of an opportunity to fill in as a top-four guy than he should be.

RNH has no place on the wing and a 10-point sophomore forward has no business being a lock for a roster spot ahead of training camp- never mind the second line. That's to say nothing of Puljujarvi having a spot handed to him by the looks of it, yet kept away from Jokinen (???).

That's terrible. Stauffer better just be guessing and not giving the fans a preview of what Coach actually has in mind.
Correction, the refs had complete control of that series. As well, coaches typically don't get fired for radio personalty mock lineups. If it happens, which I highly doubt, the Oilers trying RNH on the wing is something I have always been curious about. It's not like he doesn't have the hockey IQ to pull it off. You might just need to chill a wee bit prior to the season starting.

Hiphopopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:47 AM
Hiphopopotamus

vCash: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythebrain View Post
My bad, I see now that this is a pp discussion. I jumped the gun there however...

Pretty weak argument as Letestu has solid PP #'s throughout his career.

Don't let his 5 v 5 fool you, the guy is solid on the pp

Strome has been a mess all over and his sample sizes don't hold a candle to Letestu
You are assuming that Strome can not get any better. You know what they say about assumptions.

Hiphopopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 01:51 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
You are assuming that Strome can not get any better. You know what they say about assumptions.
Wait a sec. Are you saying that 1 year of sample size trumps 2 years?

You know what they they say about those Yak supporters who fought till the bitter end?

The old "it will be different in Edm" argument isn't very credible

Reinhart says HI btw

Old
07-09-2017, 02:00 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:

What are you talking about? The meltdown in ANA happened with our better players on the ice..not the RNH's and Ebs of the world

They got demoted if you don't remember. Some of Edm's worst shifts defensively had McD and Drai on the ice..for minutes of dominance at a time

Barkov's best years came away from Jokinen. He roomed with him and discussions were there. But it wasn't Jokinen as his winger who catapulted him into stardom

There is more than 1 way to mentor somebody

Old
07-09-2017, 02:04 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Not sold on Caggiula at all.
JP hasn't shown much of anything yet. He needs someone on his line who knows what they are doing.
And center that pair with a guy like Strome? I dunno, seems like a recipe for bleeding GA.
Valid points. Caggiula is not the major concern there though IMO. JP and Strome are the biggest concerns.
I think that's why moving Jokinen to that line is a good idea.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 02:15 AM
McShogun99

Quote:

RNH or Strome on Mcdavids RW could be an internal punishment to Draisaitl for making the contract negotiations difficult. He might have the RNH role of 2C and 2nd PP unit during his bridge deal to prove that he can still produce at a near PPG pace without Mcdavid. If he ends up proving that he is a 1C then he will get the big contract.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 02:56 AM
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!

The way I see it Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Caggiula are your big question marks going into the season. Stromes also one, but I trust he's NHL caliber, especially if he's just in a depth role; the same can be said about Kassian, and even Maroon.

However it's pretty good spot when you're biggest question mark up front has 40 games to his name, and the other two had positive impacts in the playoffs. Also good that they're not going to be force fed too much responsibility, as none are in key roles or expected to be driving their own line.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl (why break up arguably the best line in the league)
Jokinen-RNH-______ (RNH remains the go to defensive centre, but has much better support on his wing for that role)
Lucic-Strome-______ (Lucic gets off the defensive line, and onto a secondary offence line)
_____-Letestu-Kassian (add Caggs here, and now your 3rd line from the PO is now your 4th line)

Fairly easy to see where Pulju, Slepyshev, and Caggiula slid into that lineup.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Jet Walters

Ideally I'd like to see another RH shot added up front. A center would be ideal. Tyler Johnson is still an unsigned RFA and TB could use help on the blueline. Would something like this work for the Lightning and Canucks?

Tanev to TB

Johnson to EDM

RNH to VAN

Add picks/prospects to balance but I think that's pretty close to fair value for each team. Johnson could slot at 1RW with Connor or at 2C. He'd be a great fit with Lucic IMO.

Jet Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 08:15 AM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
The way I see it Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Caggiula are your big question marks going into the season. Stromes also one, but I trust he's NHL caliber, especially if he's just in a depth role; the same can be said about Kassian, and even Maroon.

However it's pretty good spot when you're biggest question mark up front has 40 games to his name, and the other two had positive impacts in the playoffs. Also good that they're not going to be force fed too much responsibility, as none are in key roles or expected to be driving their own line.

Jokinen-RNH-______ (RNH remains the go to defensive centre, but has much better support on his wing for that role)
Lucic-Strome-______(Lucic gets off the defensive line, and onto a secondary offence line)
_____-Letestu-Kassian (add Caggs here, and now your 3rd line from the PO is now your 4th line)

You change lines to make the team better. 'Arguably' or not, the Oilers will be paying Drai centre money. Play him at that position. It's better to have two really good lines.

shoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 08:20 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Walters View Post
Ideally I'd like to see another RH shot added up front. A center would be ideal. Tyler Johnson is still an unsigned RFA and TB could use help on the blueline. Would something like this work for the Lightning and Canucks?

Tanev to TB

Johnson to EDM

RNH to VAN

Add picks/prospects to balance but I think that's pretty close to fair value for each team. Johnson could slot at 1RW with Connor or at 2C. He'd be a great fit with Lucic IMO.
Yeah like we will pay Draisaitl 8 million a year to be a winger

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Jet Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSuper View Post
So a 6M 3C in RNH is better? All that matters is that we're under the cap, and TM has shown he'll move players around anyways. My point is Johnson is a RH shot who could play center or RW, way better at faceoffs, and probably would be a better fit than RNH on this club. RNH being a LH shot isn't ideal if the plan is to use him on the wing at times this year.

Old
07-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Seachd

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSuper View Post
If that's what it came to, of course you would.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
So a 6M 3C in RNH is better? All that matters is that we're under the cap, and TM has shown he'll move players around anyways. My point is Johnson is a RH shot who could play center or RW, way better at faceoffs, and probably would be a better fit than RNH on this club. RNH being a LH shot isn't ideal if the plan is to use him on the wing at times this year.
I would love to snag Johnson. But I like the Hanzal mold for a third line centre more.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Jet Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
I would love to snag Johnson. But I like the Hanzal mold for a third line centre more.
Ideally yes I agree, but with our size on the wings I think TJ might be a good fit. Being RH is important IMO, and big shutdown C's who are RH are few and far between.

I don't see him as 3rd line material anyways.

Maroon McDavid Johnson (Johnson can take draws as he's usually around 55%)

Or

Lucic Johnson Slepy/Pulju (if Drai stays at 1RW)

Either way it looks better than if RNH was slotted in his place. He'd also really help the PP where RH finishers are needed to compliment all our LH playmakers. He does present the problem of being too expensive long term just as RNH does though.

Old
07-09-2017, 09:25 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythebrain View Post
Wait a sec. Are you saying that 1 year of sample size trumps 2 years?

You know what they they say about those Yak supporters who fought till the bitter end?

The old "it will be different in Edm" argument isn't very credible

Reinhart says HI btw
exactly... strome is what he is at this point, and expecting some big change in his play as a 23 year old is foolish to say the least... he'll likely end up getting around 30-35 points next year, maybe a bit more if he ends up on mcdavids wing for long stretches ... i suspect that drai will end up on mcdavids RW for the majority of the season again, unless pulj ends up taking a MASSIVE step forward and can play with mcdavid consistently, but i doubt that happens

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:37 AM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post

Lucic-Strome-______ (Lucic gets off the defensive line, and onto a secondary offence line)

Oilers are much tougher to match up against if they go with,

x- McDavid- x
x- Drai- X
x- RNH- x
route, that's going to create some serious problems for teams.

I'd like to see Jokinen- RNH- Pulju 3rd line, again creates tougher match ups.

BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:40 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
The projected line ups has RNH as a 1 RW and look at my postings I been saying for a year RNH needs to go for a more suitable 3C . Draisaitl needs to be signed to a bridge deal and be handed the 2nd line C position . If he can carry his own line pay him if he fails we know he is a product of McDavid and should be paid accordingly .

Everytime I mention trade RNH for someone like Couturier I get ripped . RNH needs to be traded for a 35 40 point defensive 3C + .

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:40 AM
McIce Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
You change lines to make the team better. 'Arguably' or not, the Oilers will be paying Drai centre money. Play him at that position. It's better to have two really good lines.
Yes and no. Drai and Mcdavid was the highest scoring duo in the league combined...more than Sid and Gino. I dont mind splitting them up when we need to mix it up but I would like to keep them together. Doesn't matter how much we pay Drai, we know he can drive his own line, why break up the best line in the NHL from last year?

As for the two really good lines, it really comes down to how RNH plays. If we get the same RNH we have the past couple seasons, then you almost have to split up Drai and Connor and have RNH play wing with Mcdavid. That's what it really boils down to for me, if RNH struggles, we have no choice.

McIce Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:47 AM
McIce Whole

Quote:

We have training camp and preseason for a reason. Even if those lines were something Mclellan thought about trying, that doesnt mean we will have them come October 4th. We have a very similar group to last year, we know what works and what doesn't so far. Might as well experiment a little bit more and try out new things before the season starts.

McIce Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
Oilers are much tougher to match up against if they go with,

x- McDavid- x
x- Drai- X
x- RNH- x
route, that's going to create some serious problems for teams.

I'd like to see Jokinen- RNH- Pulju 3rd line, again creates tougher match ups.
We can have that center set up when Puljujarvi is ready for the top line.

The ultimate script to follow would be for JP to start the season on the bottom six, and then for him to eventually grab the top line spot during the season some time. If he can have a good season, but not too great, maybe we could sign him long term by this time next season. The cap hit could be closer to Schiefele than Tarasenko hopefully.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:55 AM
FlameChampion

vCash: 587
Would be nice to see them at least try RNH with McDavid. Hopefully Stauffer knows something.

I think Drai works pretty well with Lucic too.

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:38 AM
McJesusSaves97

Eklund is saying Jagr to Flames 90%...but it is Eklund so prolly just a guess

McJesusSaves97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:40 AM
NeutralFan88
Rookie User