HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It Was 20 Years Ago Today...

Old
07-09-2017, 08:28 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

vCash: 500
It Was 20 Years Ago Today...

...David Poile taught the Preds to play. This day in 1997 was when the Nashville Predators hired David Poile, son of the great Nathan "Bud" Poile, to be the franchise's first GM.

Since then, it's been 20 years of wheeling and dealing from the only GM we have ever known.

Your personal GMDP moments?

Facebook - @jwhouk
Where I'd really rather be right now

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 09:04 PM
leafsleafs

Sargent Pepper taught the band to play...

Apologies, first thing I thought.

From a Leafs fan, who doesn't post much, and just not might be a jerk, I had a great time watching the progression. That D. And those fans were equivalent to anything we see here in Toronto.

THAT'S a very well run franchise!

Well done.

leafsleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:19 PM
NoNecksCurse

poile put his mark with the trade for peter forsberg for upshall, parent, 1st and 3rd round pick. he is the ultimate GM. he has put nashville on the map and the ultimate salute is to him. i have many disagreements with his decisions but we are a hockey town thanks to David. SALUTE

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

We can complain sometimes about trades like Brendan Witt, Vitaly Vishnovsky and Michael Del Zotto... but when you can count the number of bad moves over a 20 year period on your fingers, that's really a pretty fantastic track record because you'd need a buddy or two to lend their fingers and toes to be able to count up all of good moves.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 08:00 AM
KurtAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
poile put his mark with the trade for peter forsberg for upshall, parent, 1st and 3rd round pick. he is the ultimate GM. he has put nashville on the map and the ultimate salute is to him. i have many disagreements with his decisions but we are a hockey town thanks to David. SALUTE
I don't know about that trade being so great. Forsberg could barely walk and he didn't do anything I thought. I would say his "mark" was signing Koriya who showed we could be a team to play for.

If I was to grade Poile over the whole time I'd say B+. Some great moves, some huge blunders. But it's to be expected for 20+ years. More good than bad.

But, for "hockey town" as to the "it" thing now, to me that is Jeff Cogen most of all. The guy is a promotional genius.

KurtAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 08:30 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngle View Post
I don't know about that trade being so great. Forsberg could barely walk and he didn't do anything I thought. I would say his "mark" was signing Koriya who showed we could be a team to play for.

If I was to grade Poile over the whole time I'd say B+. Some great moves, some huge blunders. But it's to be expected for 20+ years. More good than bad.

But, for "hockey town" as to the "it" thing now, to me that is Jeff Cogen most of all. The guy is a promotional genius.
all the promotion in the world would mean jack squat if the team sucked.

Many people have had a hand in making Nashville a successful hockey franchise, but none moreso than David Poile

we have got to get this man a Cup before he retires

07-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
My favorite individual Poile move was trading Jones for Johansen. Until that moment he was seen as a conservative, play-it-safe GM who wasn't afraid to make moves but he seemed apprehensive to make the gutsy ones. January 5, 2016 we lost an incredibly frustrating game at home to the Jets. Outshot them like crazy and still lost 4-1. We weren't playing well at the time, we had no offensive identity and our strategy seemed to just be scrappy, put pucks on net and hope for the best.

Poile clearly had seen enough because the very next day he traded a coveted young defenseman for the young #1C we'd never had before. You know it had to be so incredibly difficult for him to trade Jones but he knew that he had to do something major to shake up the team's chemistry, and he did. Quite frankly the team hasn't been the same since. It was just something I never thought I'd see from him. The Subban for Weber deal was a shocker, but it was just a D for D swap. The Jones trade was him giving up arguably one of his favorite prospects he'd ever had for the sake of improving the offense.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Jonesey
Dept. of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
My favorite individual Poile move was trading Jones for Johansen. Until that moment he was seen as a conservative, play-it-safe GM who wasn't afraid to make moves but he seemed apprehensive to make the gutsy ones. January 5, 2016 we lost an incredibly frustrating game at home to the Jets. Outshot them like crazy and still lost 4-1. We weren't playing well at the time, we had no offensive identity and our strategy seemed to just be scrappy, put pucks on net and hope for the best.

Poile clearly had seen enough because the very next day he traded a coveted young defenseman for the young #1C we'd never had before. You know it had to be so incredibly difficult for him to trade Jones but he knew that he had to do something major to shake up the team's chemistry, and he did. Quite frankly the team hasn't been the same since. It was just something I never thought I'd see from him. The Subban for Weber deal was a shocker, but it was just a D for D swap. The Jones trade was him giving up arguably one of his favorite prospects he'd ever had for the sake of improving the offense.
I had a friend ask me after the 5-1 spanking by Dallas what I would do if I were the GM of the Predators and I told him that Seth Jones would be on a plane to Columbus and Ryan Johansen would be on his way here. Less than a week later it came true.

Moral of the story, I could be an NHL GM. AMA.

lol

Old
07-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
I had a friend ask me after the 5-1 spanking by Dallas what I would do if I were the GM of the Predators and I told him that Seth Jones would be on a plane to Columbus and Ryan Johansen would be on his way here. Less than a week later it came true.

Moral of the story, I could be an NHL GM. AMA.

lol
Vegas should've hired you.

Old
07-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Jonesey
Dept. of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Vegas should've hired you.
Agreed. I'd never trade Forsberg for Erat.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Vali Maki Sushi
Tuna Vali Maki Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
Agreed. I'd never trade Forsberg for Erat.
Unless you are a double agent GM .

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 09:43 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
23 years ago, I was part of a group with Denny Bottorff and Sue Atkinson's public relations firm that ran the "stick it in Nashville" campaign, but it wasn't about the Predators, it started as campaign to relocate the New Jersey Devils and then morphed into the campaign to get an expansion. This was before Lairpold had ever been contacted.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 03:06 PM
KurtAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
all the promotion in the world would mean jack squat if the team sucked.

Many people have had a hand in making Nashville a successful hockey franchise, but none moreso than David Poile

we have got to get this man a Cup before he retires
Then why was Liepold trying to sell the team when we had one of the best records in the league and some good to great talent after Kariya signed? It's not like the team didn't have success before the team was sold.

The Laviolette years have pushed us over the top, but I think it was Cigarran and his hiring of Cogen that started the current phenom. Of course Poile is responsible for the talent, but I give the marketing under Cogen the props for making them the in thing they have become.

I don't quite agree Poile is number 1 on making the team successful. Cigarran, Bredesen, us taxpayers, Preds marketing and operations making the arena successful, Poile, and Laviolette.

Old
07-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Then why was Liepold trying to sell the team when we had one of the best records in the league and some good to great talent after Kariya signed? It's not like the team didn't have success before the team was sold.

The Laviolette years have pushed us over the top, but I think it was Cigarran and his hiring of Cogen that started the current phenom. Of course Poile is responsible for the talent, but I give the marketing under Cogen the props for making them the in thing they have become.

I don't quite agree Poile is number 1 on making the team successful. Cigarran, Bredesen, us taxpayers, Preds marketing and operations making the arena successful, Poile, and Laviolette.
I think when you have a successful franchise it doesn't have to be person A being better than person C but person B is the best. It's just a great storm of people from all different walks of professionalism being well above-average at their jobs.

Also, Trotz was extremely important as well.

Old
07-11-2017, 03:36 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:

Leipold was selling because he wanted to buy the Wild.

Cogen and Henry were huge, but again, if the team is crap the people don't pack the arena.

Poile(and Trotz) kept us competitive even when the team was on a shoestring budget. More than anything else, that saved the franchise and gave Cogen and Henry something to work with.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:

We had one heck of a promotional genius up here too. He did a fantastic job of selling everyone on this team for years, keeping people committed and believing.

Unfortunately, he also happened to be the GM. And, for a time, head coach. All at the same time.

He left behind a mess so overwhelming and hideous it's taken us over a decade and two GMs to recover. But hey, he was a brilliant marketer. And he did draft Rick Nash.

Poile was and is a ****ing G-dsend for this team, and anyone who ever suggests otherwise is just plain wrong.

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
23 years ago, I was part of a group with Denny Bottorff and Sue Atkinson's public relations firm that ran the "stick it in Nashville" campaign, but it wasn't about the Predators, it started as campaign to relocate the New Jersey Devils and then morphed into the campaign to get an expansion. This was before Lairpold had ever been contacted.
That was two years before I moved to Nashville. Is it true that the Devils to Nashville was a done deal until their Cup run saved them, Or was it never that close?

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 10:02 PM
SauceMyBiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsleafs View Post
Sargent Pepper taught the band to play...

Apologies, first thing I thought.

From a Leafs fan, who doesn't post much, and just not might be a jerk, I had a great time watching the progression. That D. And those fans were equivalent to anything we see here in Toronto.

THAT'S a very well run franchise!

Well done.
It was 20 years ago today. GM Poile taught the boys to play. Same thoughts here haha

SauceMyBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 10:03 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
That was two years before I moved to Nashville. Is it true that the Devils to Nashville was a done deal until their Cup run saved them, Or was it never that close?
I mean, it sure seemed that way.

I was young and not privy to the negotiations so I can't say for sure but it did really seem that way.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:49 AM
KurtAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Leipold was selling because he wanted to buy the Wild.

Cogen and Henry were huge, but again, if the team is crap the people don't pack the arena.

Poile(and Trotz) kept us competitive even when the team was on a shoestring budget. More than anything else, that saved the franchise and gave Cogen and Henry something to work with.
I just don't buy the idea the team is crap without Poile. It's the typical Preds cheerleading that everyone who is with the Preds is the best ever. You guys vastly overrated Trotz who is about to get run out of Washington. Any time a Preds goalie stubs his toe it's because the almighty Mitch Korn is not here. And you guys kissed Liepold's butt for years.

I would like to see you back up the fact of Liepold only selling because he wanted the Wild.

And the team was not on a shoestring budget with Liepold. They spent for Sullivan, Kariya, Arnott (yuck), and much more.

Old
07-12-2017, 08:00 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:
I just don't buy the idea the team is crap without Poile. It's the typical Preds cheerleading that everyone who is with the Preds is the best ever. You guys vastly overrated Trotz who is about to get run out of Washington. Any time a Preds goalie stubs his toe it's because the almighty Mitch Korn is not here. And you guys kissed Liepold's butt for years.

I would like to see you back up the fact of Liepold only selling because he wanted the Wild.

And the team was not on a shoestring budget with Liepold. They spent for Sullivan, Kariya, Arnott (yuck), and much more.

I am certainly not in the "Mitch Korn is the only reason our goalies were good" crowd, in fact I have explicitly stated the opposite.

and we had a shoestring bu8dget for years AFTER Leipold... which is the whole point.. after leipold bailed and before the local group had better finances, this team was run on a shoestring... we had to sign greg Devries for more than 2 mil a year just to get over the cap floor

and lastly, I don't have to back up squat, this is a message board, not a court of law.

But I suspect there are a lot more people on my side of this than yours.

Old
07-12-2017, 08:04 AM
KurtAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
We had one heck of a promotional genius up here too. He did a fantastic job of selling everyone on this team for years, keeping people committed and believing.

Unfortunately, he also happened to be the GM. And, for a time, head coach. All at the same time.

He left behind a mess so overwhelming and hideous it's taken us over a decade and two GMs to recover. But hey, he was a brilliant marketer. And he did draft Rick Nash.

Poile was and is a ****ing G-dsend for this team, and anyone who ever suggests otherwise is just plain wrong.
I never said Poile is a bad GM. You are just plain wrong to suggest Poile and only Poile could have been a good GM for the Preds.

In fact, a great deal of people thought we fired the wrong guy when Trotz was let go. And how many Cups does Poile have on his resume' to be the almighty GM of the universe?

Take a breath and relax. I would never say he's bad. But he's made many blunders, too. Suter and Vesey, and yes Poile bungled those. The Peter Forsberg trade was a bad deal. And a few others. But, the Subban trade, the all time fleecing of Washington for Filip Forsberg, and the Johanson trade, drafting Weber and others were good deals.

But, please, spare me the GM of all time talk. Poile has been very good, but I don't buy the homerism that only he is The Man.

Old
07-12-2017, 08:10 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:
I never said Poile is a bad GM. You are just plain wrong to suggest Poile and only Poile could have been a good GM for the Preds.

In fact, a great deal of people thought we fired the wrong guy when Trotz was let go. And how many Cups does Poile have on his resume' to be the almighty GM of the universe?

Take a breath and relax. I would never say he's bad. But he's made many blunders, too. Suter and Vesey, and yes Poile bungled those. The Peter Forsberg trade was a bad deal. And a few others. But, the Subban trade, the all time fleecing of Washington for Filip Forsberg, and the Johanson trade, drafting Weber and others were good deals.

But, please, spare me the GM of all time talk. Poile has been very good, but I don't buy the homerism that only he is The Man.
hyperbole much?

show me where anyone is suggesting Poile is the "GM of all time"

but its not hyperbole at all to say that of all the different people who have been part of the Preds organization, Poile has been the most impartant and most impactful

Old
07-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:

Given that no such claim was made, one could argue that I've already done so.

You seem to be implying that Poile is easily replaceable. He's not. If you need supporting evidence, look at the three other expansion teams and their starting GMs.

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote