HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When did you start to believe in this team last year?

Old
07-10-2017, 06:55 PM
WaitingForUser

vCash: 500
For me it was right after our 5 game losing streak in November. I remember after the KiDS started getting drafted everyone here thought that one day the switch would just flip and almost overnight we would be a good team. Unfortunately for us this was about 5 or 6 years premature thinking. But after that losing streak we all saw a different team. They could have continued the skid and fell back to earth like so many here and especially on the mains were saying they would. But instead they picked themselves up got the job done. From that point on I knew we were going to the playoffs. The switch flipped after the skid and we never looked back.

WaitingForUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 07:22 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
January. We were still looking fine in the standings in late December so I was sold.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:31 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

When we started the season 7-2, I got giddy for a bit, but still understood the Oilers like to break my heart. For a very long time, those first long road trips in November usually eliminated them. And yes, they had a scary losing streak in November, but they weren't games where it looked like they didn't belong. I think it was the Rags and Pens games. So when they had a playoff spot going into December, it felt different because I was expecting them to win every night no matter the opponent.

When they were rolling over teams in March, I was saying.. "****, this team is good"

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:01 AM
McShogun99

When we were still in a playoff spot after the CFR. The previous 10 years we were almost eliminated from the playoffs after that long road trip.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:03 AM
T-Funk

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:35 AM
Soundwave

After they bounced back from that ugly late game collapse against Montreal in March I think with a few wins back to back when it looked like things were spiralling.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
I can't recall completely, but after the Allstar break, it seems to me they went on a little skid, 3 or 4 games losing streak, and Calgary tied them in the standings. Then the Oil stopped the bleeding immediately and went on a run right after that.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

When OEL hit Hendricks with that cheap shot and Kassian took on the world, culture change evident.

Not Robin Brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:10 PM
bone
5-14-6-1

There were up and downs, but I was pretty convinced come the All-Star break that they were in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, a losing streak against average teams followed that, which got me concerned, but they managed to rebound and overall tread water through that tough February solidifying further my confidence.

Come March I was pretty sure. The Montreal blown game tested the confidence, but they quickly rebounded, and then I became convinced they had a chance to go deep rather than just playoffs.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:14 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Robin Brownlee View Post
When OEL hit Hendricks with that cheap shot and Kassian took on the world, culture change evident.
That whole game for me. Especially the third.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:16 PM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
Hey guys,

Usually during the lazy summer months, I start going back and watching all the highlights of the regular season (and playoffs this year ). One of the most prominent feelings I had was thinking that we were just overachieving for much of the year. I was worried that we were going to collapse due to the weak mental fortitude we showed for the last 10 years. However, I remember there was a game where I changed my tune, and started believing that this team was actually for real and so I wanted to see if this trend caught on with some of you guys.

I'll go ahead and post the game where I started to really believe in this team instead of being fearful that we were going to fall apart.

This was the california road trip right before the all star game, and we were facing the ducks. We walked into the honda pond and decimated them 4-0. After the draisaitl goal, I really started to think that this season wasn't a fluke!

What are some games that you guys remember that changed your outlook on the season? Feel free to post highlights too!

I believed in the team after the Hall trade . Got ripped real good for it

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:39 PM
MessierII

The winning streak at the start

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:41 PM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
I really started to believe this could be a consistent playoff team and go deep in 2016. Now I know we didn't make the playoffs that year and McDavid (and many other players) got hurt but I thought when the team was healthy it looked strong and it looked like other teams had to battle hard to beat the Oilers something that did not exist before. Also finally finding a solid and consistent goalie was a godsend. How many goalies did the oilers go through like 10? The newest moves made in 2017 getting Larsson and Lucic, just made the team even better. I also like that we just got Jussi Jokinen, and we have Jesse Puljujarvi, Tyler Benson and Kailer Yamamoto still coming up in development. The future is bright for the Oilers. Making it to the 7th game of the second round was huge this year making it to the third round or the Stanley Cup Finals does not sound like such a far fetched idea anymore.

DethOfDragnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 03:46 PM
grego

There are different levels of my belief
Early in the season and felt we were competitive to fight for a playoff spot.
Later in the season I realized how well we could take any team in the league
During the playoffs it became apparent that we don't need to gut the team to win cups. It is this team with tweaks and a few changes here or there that can win it all

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Gord
Batfink!

vCash: 50
I refused to believe the team wasn't a mirage until Christmas.
I said in the fall that if they were still in a playoff spot at the Christmas break I'd truly believe they were a playoff caliber team. then I was in.

I'm still finding it hard to believe they were fighting for the division title and nearly got it. a crazy year.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:45 AM
48g90a138pts

Once Chiarelli grabbed Larsson for Hall. It was a huge game changer for me. I finally made a account here because of that trade.

48g90a138pts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:18 AM
IV XIV XCI

The OT vs the Sharks in game 5.

I'm a tough sell.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Robin Brownlee View Post
To a fan, probably one of the best moments of the whole year.

That moment showed me that our culture changed but I wasn't sure it was enough for us to win games.

That meltdown against the Canadians late in the year worried me, but after we went into full beast mode

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Psychoil

Surprised to see so many of you guys use the hall trade as your starting point for believing in this team. I definitely had my reservations about the deal but man was I wrong. Larsson is awesome

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 04:46 PM
dangerMcdanger

About two games before the end of the season, when it was just Vancouver left before season end.

I really thought things would fall apart. Too many years of disappointment.

I also didn't think the Oilers were playing all that well through a lot of the season. Poor passing, poor decisions, lots of luck. But I think maybe my expectations of mistake-free hockey are just too high.

dangerMcdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:02 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 9240
Forget the game. But we were down by two or more goals, on our heals..but we kept at it and won. Dec/Jan as I recall

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote