HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers sign Yohann Auvitu [1 year/$700k]

Old
07-10-2017, 02:23 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komarov47 View Post
He was sent down because Moore and Merrill were on one way contract, if it weren't because of them he would have stick with the Devils. He's a great puck moving dman with good skating, terribly calm with the puck, good on ice vision. Awarded best defenseman in Finland two years ago.
i've read that he was an RFA that went unqualified. why was he not qualified?

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
They always throw the 6-9 months into ACL return times because a slight chance exists that something can go wrong during physiotherapy and set back the recovery time. Professional athletes that have great muscle strength entering surgery, a determination to recover their previous form, and dedication to their physiotherapy regime will likely be on the short side of the recovery times. The best example being Adrian Peterson returning as a dominant RB after only 5 months post-ACL reconstruction surgery.
Pitlick was skating 5 months after his ACL tear too. 6 months seems to be the more common recovery time these days.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:31 PM
McKingis

Ai vittu.

McKingis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:34 PM
nexttothemoon
...better... or not

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonExpress View Post
I like the player in a vacuum, but... why? We have approximately 12,000 LD now:

Klef
Sekera
Russell
Nurse
Auvitu
--------
Stanton
Jones
Simpson
Lowe
Paigin
Betker
--------
Lagesson
Niemelainen
Samorukov

Even with Sekera on IR to start and a couple of them able to play the other side, it's still too much depth with too many guys around the same age. Something has to give here; perhaps my theory of Nurse now being viewed as expendable is not that far off.
Well Betker is nothing more than ECHL level at this stage.

Those bottom 3 below Betker aren't really even in the picture right now.

Paigin/Jones need AHL time so aren't options for an NHL spot (young dmen need to either be in the top 6 in the NHL or AHL.. no good having them as a #7).

Lowe is just AHL vet depth.. not good enough for the NHL.

Simpson is likely the only one being "blocked" this season by Stanton/Auvitu.. but it's not like Simpson was/is a sure thing to make an NHL roster anyway. He likely has an outside chance at being a career #6/#7 at best.

I think Stanton and Auvitu are good additions as they are both vets (although with small sample sizes in the NHL)... but both have good results in their games so far and being 27... they aren't over the hill, yet are experienced enough that they should provide some stability when they are put into that bottom pairing role on the team. They also can easily play that #7 role in the NHL instead of having a younger less developed player in that spot.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:36 PM
lakai17

decent signing

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:39 PM
MessierII

Never heard of him. Depth signing it seems like.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Beerfish

Good signing, extra depth on the blueline is always a good thing.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:49 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

I caught it on 1260 when it broke, and since then I've heard the "he's an advanced stats darling" line (or similar) half a dozen times at least.

His advanced stats are ok, but he was also the most heavily sheltered defenseman on the Devils by a country mile. Any player in his position should put up decent corsi based numbers, and his honestly aren't all that impressive.

For $650K for one year (have we heard whether it's 2 way?), it's a fine depth signing, and probably won't see much NHL time unless we have multiple injuries, but let's not get too crazy before we start using him to decide if advanced stats have any value.

07-10-2017, 02:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Lol, just read about him this morning being a sleeper pickup that teams should look at.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I caught it on 1260 when it broke, and since then I've heard the "he's an advanced stats darling" line (or similar) half a dozen times at least.

His advanced stats are ok, but he was also the most heavily sheltered defenseman on the Devils by a country mile. Any player in his position should put up decent corsi based numbers, and his honestly aren't all that impressive.

For $650K for one year (have we heard whether it's 2 way?), it's a fine depth signing, and probably won't see much NHL time unless we have multiple injuries, but let's not get too crazy before we start using him to decide if advanced stats have any value.
It's a one-way deal.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:57 PM
LTIR

vCash: 150
Griffin Reinhart replacement!

Still need a top4RHDPPQB

LTIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Gh24

Arguably the best PMD in Finland two years ago. You could tell his skating and poise were enough for NHL and apparently he's done something right on other aspects of the game to earn another contract. Definitely a fan favorite and I wish him the best of luck (not against Preds obviously )! If it wasn't for Y. Weber, I wish we had signed him.

Bonne chance, Yohann!

Gh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:58 PM
McRobbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
It's a one-way deal.
I wonder if they have a handshake deal to mutually terminate if he doesn't make the team

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Kerricthebig
Jovial Imbecile

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
It's a one-way deal.
Also is $700k not 650.

Capfriendly has updated the placeholder value.

Kerricthebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McDNicks17
Leon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRobbiezyg View Post
I wonder if they have a handshake deal to mutually terminate if he doesn't make the team
I doubt it.

His whole salary won't count against the cap if he's sent to the AHL.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LTIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRobbiezyg View Post
why would they?

We can use him on our AHL team... Im sure he will be happy with guaranteed 650K even when playing in AHL. He played AHL hockey most of last season too.

We might be walking away from Simpson and\or Leleggia.

Old
07-10-2017, 03:02 PM
LTIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerricthebig View Post
Also is $700k not 650.

Capfriendly has updated the placeholder value.
They also listed him as (LD, LW) .. so a Laleggia'ish player

Old
07-10-2017, 03:04 PM
OILERZ

vCash: 346
His last name is pronounced Ovie 2 and he can play LW lol.

He seems like he can be a good player as he gets acclimatized to the North American game. If he can play third pairing with some 2-way play that'd be great for our depth. Sounds like he can already handle the puck better than Russell (whose new contract I dislike).

97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:08 PM
MisterD
5-14-6-1

Good depth Dman (Oesterle/Reinhart replacement), who will likely start in the AHL.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
why would they?

We can use him on our AHL team... Im sure he will be happy with guaranteed 650K even when playing in AHL. He played AHL hockey most of last season too.

We might be walking away from Simpson and\or Leleggia.
Laleggia is playing as a forward now anyways...

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Sup

I've kept tabs on him since he entered the league. He shows good offensive instincts and honestly reminds me of Torey Krug in the way he gets pucks on neg and isn't the biggest guy out there.

I lile the signing and he could find success here on PP until Sekera returns. Also i don't think NJD was a good place for his offence to come alive

Sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:14 PM
voxel
We are legit

I like it. I like it A LOT.

Thought he had some upside when I watched the Devils last season.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

I wouldnt go as far as "advanced stat darling" simply due to fact he played so little in a depth role and also his analytics dont jump off the page or anything. Id say his analytics are more showing hes a solid depth pick up option that you could get for very cheap. You do have to look a bit deeper to see the good analytics.

Woodguy did a great job of this. he breaks down a players relative stats into different tiers of competition. He has some really solid numbers in a very brief stint (65 mins) vs elite comp, good stats vs middle level comp and still solid stats vs bottom level

Perhaps the biggest area of interest is his stats with/without Lovejoy (his most common linemate)

Together: 47.5% CF%, 50 GF%
Lovejoy apart: 43.6 % CG%, 42.6 GF%
Auvitu apart: 53% cf%, 66.7% GF%

So Lovejoy does substainally worse away, Auvitu does alot better. Rest of his linemates play under 100 mins with him so tough to get a good sample size

Aceboogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:33 PM
oilblue

vCash: 2000

oilblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:34 PM
McRobbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
I wouldnt go as far as "advanced stat darling" simply due to fact he played so little in a depth role and also his analytics dont jump off the page or anything. Id say his analytics are more showing hes a solid depth pick up option that you could get for very cheap. You do have to look a bit deeper to see the good analytics.

Woodguy did a great job of this. he breaks down a players relative stats into different tiers of competition. He has some really solid numbers in a very brief stint (65 mins) vs elite comp, good stats vs middle level comp and still solid stats vs bottom level

Perhaps the biggest area of interest is his stats with/without Lovejoy (his most common linemate)

Together: 47.5% CF%, 50 GF%
Lovejoy apart: 43.6 % CG%, 42.6 GF%
Auvitu apart: 53% cf%, 66.7% GF%

So Lovejoy does substainally worse away, Auvitu does alot better. Rest of his linemates play under 100 mins with him so tough to get a good sample size
In addition to those numbers, the devils D was pretty craptastic last year so it dragged down numbers and although i dont like it, i wouldn't blame the guy for checking out when half those players checked out last year so early. Theres no risk, could end up in bakersfield all year and it doesn't matter

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote