HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Ranking #4

View Poll Results: Avalanche #4 prospect is:
JC Beaudin (C) Rouyn-Noranda [#71 overall, 2015] 0 0%
Chris Bigras (D) San Antonio [#32 overall, 2013] 37 31.62%
AJ Greer (LW) San Antonio [#39 overall, 2015] 22 18.80%
Nicolas Meloche (D) Charlottetown [#40 overall, 2015] 44 37.61%
Cam Morrison (LW) Notre Dame [#40 overall, 2016] 0 0%
Conor Timmins (D) Sault Ste. Marie [#32 overall, 2017] 14 11.97%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2017, 10:14 AM
JohnnyFIN

vCash: 500
After those first three my knowledge of our prospects is quite limitless(except bigras) since I never see them playing so could someone write a little info packege about those guys?

JohnnyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 10:42 AM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFIN View Post
After those first three my knowledge of our prospects is quite limitless(except bigras) since I never see them playing so could someone write a little info packege about those guys?
Limited, eh?

UncleRisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:03 PM
JohnnyFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Limited, eh?
Yea, I know that I was quite lazy student but I'm not sure was that the point here.

JohnnyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:22 PM
GoNordiquesGo

Bigras. Add Mironov. I just haven't seen Meloche much and the only place I see high praise regarding Meloche is on the Avs board so I don't know how much is homerism vs realism. Not a criticism, just an explanation. I was surprised with how low he was rated by THN.

GoNordiquesGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:01 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
Meloche again.

Add Shvyryov
Ditto

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:10 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Our top 10 should go Makar, Jost, Meloche, Bigras, Timmins, and then Compher / Greer / Morrison / Beaudin; with Martin somewhere in those last few slots.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:15 PM
RockyMtnRedhawk

Meloche, add Mironov

RockyMtnRedhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:47 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Our top 10 should go Makar, Jost, Meloche, Bigras, Timmins, and then Compher / Greer / Morrison / Beaudin; with Martin somewhere in those last few slots.
A bit of a broad brush there if you're going to lump all of those forwards together, I'd say. I get that you're saying all the D have top-4 upside and the forwards don't have upside more valuable than that, i.e. 2nd-3rd line tweeners at best... but I don't know about that.

UncleRisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:01 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Beaudin should be higher than Morrison. Henry should probably be too. I like the year Morrison had but the skill level just really isn't there.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:09 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Shyryov has got to be top10 with his potential. He's arguable our most talented forward prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Beaudin should be higher than Morrison. Henry should probably be too. I like the year Morrison had but the skill level just really isn't there.
Morrison has shown 10x the skill Greer did in his draft +1 year.

StayAtHomeAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Semyon Vezinamov
Mulan Szechuan Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
Shyryov has got to be top10 with his potential. He's arguable our most talented forward prospect.

#disagree

Semyon Vezinamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:24 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
I don't think pure skill will be his bread and butter in the NHL. He's not going to be dangling guys, but he has really good offensive instincts as far as getting open and blasting shots on net. I can't rate him higher than Greer or Compher though because of how raw he is, and I think I'd rate him just below Beaudin because Beaudin's versatility is slightly more valuable.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:27 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Morrison isn't going to dangle people to death, but to say he isn't skilled is inaccurate. He is a meat and potatoes type player and I think that skews viewpoints. I'd say he has a better shot at a future 2nd line role than Beaudin and Henry.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:47 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I'm not saying it just to say it, I saw Morrision next to the other guys. He does have good offensive instincts when the puck is moving towards the net, I just think the toolbox is more limited. It's fair to say that maybe that's comparable to Greer when he was still in school but obviously Greer has shown more now.

Old
07-11-2017, 02:51 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I've seen Morrison for 2+ years (my OJHL viewings were limited, but I had some) and around many other skilled players. He has some skills that others don't, other posses some that he doesn't. Morrison has the best pure goal scoring upside of any prospect in the pool. Pigeonholing him with the skill just isn't there... is inaccurate. Not to mention... a camp based on drills is not a great way to evaluate a skill set.

Old
07-11-2017, 02:55 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNordiquesGo View Post
Bigras. Add Mironov. I just haven't seen Meloche much and the only place I see high praise regarding Meloche is on the Avs board so I don't know how much is homerism vs realism. Not a criticism, just an explanation. I was surprised with how low he was rated by THN.
Coming from a small market in the Q, then becoming an Avs prospect slows the hype train. He's not elite in any one area so it's not easy for media types to give much attention. But if you want to know how a non-Avs fan sees him, this is in an excerpt from a game report in the Black Book.

Quote:
Nicolas was arguably the best player on the ice tonight, as he was involved the in the play a lot at both ends on the rink. He had a good offensive game tonight with 2 goals and 1 assists and plus 3. He showed of his nice hard shot on 1 of his goal by going top corner from the blue line giving the goalie no time to react. Moved the puck well tonight, had a good first pass. He was really good tonight at being patient with the puck and allowing the forwards to get open and always making the smart pass. He had a good game in the neutral zone as well by breaking up pass in the neutral zone or by stepping up at the blue line with a couple big hits not allowing Baie-Comeau players entrance into the zone. He played a tough in your face game as well in his defensive zone and got into a couple scuffles after the whistles with some players.
And speaking of Beaudin,

Quote:
Beaudin has always been a smart player since his debut in the QMJHL, but this year was his first real opportunity to be the offensive catalyst of his team. With the loss of Francis Perron to the pro level, Beaudin was the key player offensively for the Huskies, and finished the year with 80 points in 65 games. Beaudin skates well, and he’s smart at both ends of the ice. He can play down the middle or on the wing. He can also play the point on the power play, and has value as penalty-killer. He’s not a flashy performer compared to Perron, but he’s very efficient on the ice in every facet of the game. He’s a strong defensive player, and we feel as though he doesn’t always get enough credit for his two-way game and for being one of the best defensive forwards in the league.
Morrison

Quote:
Despite putting together a decent season production-wise at Notre Dame (12 goals and 12 assists), the weaknesses in Morrison’s game going into the draft are still areas of improvement that he needs to build on today. Morrison has excellent finishing ability around the net, and uses his body well in front, but his footwork in those areas and straight-line skating still limit the effect he can have on a nightly basis. Morrison doesn’t possess that extra gear with the puck, which limits him in the transition game and on the rush. His hard shot is a good weapon for him in the offensive zone, if he gets the separation and time to set it off. As of now, As of now, Morrison probably doesn’t play with the pace that is necessary to be a consistent top-6 forward prospect at the next level, but the clock hasn’t run out on him yet and his size and work around the net will certainly give him a shot to keep progressing and get there down the road.

Old
07-11-2017, 02:56 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
A bit of a broad brush there if you're going to lump all of those forwards together, I'd say. I get that you're saying all the D have top-4 upside and the forwards don't have upside more valuable than that, i.e. 2nd-3rd line tweeners at best... but I don't know about that.
The forwards could end up nice compliments in the top 6, but I'd call them top 9 prospects, not top 6 prospects; so ya gotta take the top 4 dman over the top 9 forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post

When Shvyryov comes over he jumps into our top 5...until then I don't rank him with the guys who I believe at this time have a future with this organization; just like with Mironov before now.

I like Beaudin more than Morrison, by a lot; but I think Morrison has more top 6 potential than JCB, who's going to make an amazing 3C if he keeps developing like he has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Morrison isn't going to dangle people to death, but to say he isn't skilled is inaccurate. He is a meat and potatoes type player and I think that skews viewpoints. I'd say he has a better shot at a future 2nd line role than Beaudin and Henry.
Basically where I'm at with Morrison / Beaudin / Henry

Quote:
I'm not saying it just to say it, I saw Morrision next to the other guys. He does have good offensive instincts when the puck is moving towards the net, I just think the toolbox is more limited. It's fair to say that maybe that's comparable to Greer when he was still in school but obviously Greer has shown more now.
I don't necessarily disagree, and both you & henchy have seen more of him & more closely than I have, but what I've seen from Morrison it looks more like a complimentary top 6er than what we've seen from JCB; even if JCB will be a better 3rd line Center than Morrison a complimentary top 6er, and is more likely to get there.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Timmins because of his offensive potential. He's also the shiny new toy.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 03:14 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Morrison might be more likely to be a 2nd line type of winger, but as far as value to a team I have to give the edge to Beaudin. At his best, Morrison will be an offensive power forward. Beaudin has a lot of versatility as far as special teams goes, can play C, and has better playmaking skills. A 3C that can do all that is probably worth slightly more to a team than what Morrison projects to be.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 03:15 PM
GoNordiquesGo

Quote:
Coming from a small market in the Q, then becoming an Avs prospect slows the hype train. He's not elite in any one area so it's not easy for media types to give much attention. But if you want to know how a non-Avs fan sees him, this is in an excerpt from a game report in the Black Book.

And speaking of Beaudin,

Morrison
Thanks!

GoNordiquesGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 03:20 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
Morrison might be more likely to be a 2nd line type of winger, but as far as value to a team I have to give the edge to Beaudin. At his best, Morrison will be an offensive power forward. Beaudin has a lot of versatility as far as special teams goes, can play C, and has better playmaking skills. A 3C that can do all that is probably worth slightly more to a team than what Morrison projects to be.
I understand this mentality completely. I have them right at the same level personally (my post after the draft has them 9/10, with Morrison ahead), but I totally get the value of a #3C over 2nd line wing.

Old
07-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Tweaky
Solid #2

vCash: 50
Bit early to be arguing JCB/CM, but are we saying that JCB pushes Compher to 4C?

Tweaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 11:33 PM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaky View Post
Bit early to be arguing JCB/CM, but are we saying that JCB pushes Compher to 4C?
I know I am in the minority, but from the handful of times I've watched JCB play, I don't think he will be a solid NHLer. Not enough bite to make up for not having any well above average skill or trait. Definitely nothing like JTC, who is a pitbull on skates. Again, just my 2 cents.

RoyIsALegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 11:42 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaky View Post
Nah... JTC is the better prospect. If both stay, one gets pushed to the wing.

Old
07-11-2017, 11:49 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

We are definitely too far from worrying about roster spots for prospects. Who knows who will be on the team by then.

Beaudin was primarily on tv when he had a shoulder injury but his game is more subtle, he doesn't get pushed around though. As far as JTC, I'd like to see a bit more of that agitator quality, it comes and goes.