HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017-18 Season Outcome Scenarios

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Scenario A 14 25.00%
Scenario B 21 37.50%
Scenario C 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

vCash: 500
I'm almost scared of C given what happens after a better-than-expected bounceback season.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 04:31 PM
tucker3434

Any scenario where Mack turns into a star is the one we need.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 04:36 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

None of the above. We will improve, to the tune of 60-70 points, which will still be good for the basement and a good pick, but it will look like enough progress as the prospects start to filter in. Bednar goes, Sakic stays, MacKinnon and Rantanen take another step forward together.

Bonus prediction: One or both of Quenneville or Trotz will be fired for lack of playoff success, and Sakic will hire one of them.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:43 AM
Avsblitzkrieg

vCash: 191
Between b and c

Avsblitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 06:42 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
There's no way we draft 10th overall in Scenerio B. Mackinnon scoring 70 points, Rantanen scoring 60, Zadorov turns into a stud and all of Varlamov, EJ, Landeskog and Barrie have bounce back years? Unless the rest of the team is filled with bantam players there's no way that's a bottom 10 team.

Old
07-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Colorado Avalanche

65 points. I would say. Our youngsters go forward and our veterans play little bit better, that's why higher point total.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
There's no way we draft 10th overall in Scenerio B. Mackinnon scoring 70 points, Rantanen scoring 60, Zadorov turns into a stud and all of Varlamov, EJ, Landeskog and Barrie have bounce back years? Unless the rest of the team is filled with bantam players there's no way that's a bottom 10 team.
True and especially If Duchene stays. It's not 70 point team.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:31 AM
Foppa
Future Norris Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Are we sure about that? A Kings team with Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, etc finished with 86 points and picked 11th. Down year from some of those guys (Kopitar, Toffoli) offensively but superb years from others (Carter, Pearson).

Finishing with 85 points is going to take very positive and impactful years from the majority of our top players considering we have nowhere near the depth that the Kings do. I'm not saying we finish with 85 points if everybody has a career year - that's Option C (and obviously a very very remote possibility). I'm just saying MacK and Rantanen continue to develop into offensive leaders, Z continues to evolve and the vets at least have healthy, productive years. Like Landy getting maybe 45-50 point range and Barrie not being a disaster defensively.

Anyways, I don't want to argue about point totals of players, the intent was simply to say that 85 points would take a Herculean effort from this roster IMO...not impossible but a massive, massive improvement team wide from last season. And 85 points puts us in that 10-12 range in the draft and still well out of the playoffs.

Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:35 AM
Sea Eagles

I'd love for us to be fighting it out for a playoff spot, and actually make it, to give our kids a taste of the intensity required to compete in them. I think there's much more to be gained from that, than finishing 28-31.

I think our roster (assuming our RFA's sign) look very good.

Andrighetto - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Duchene - Yakupov
Wilson - Jost - Compher
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
(Colborne)

Zadorov - Johnson
Barberio - Barrie
Mirinov - Lindholm
(Bigras)

Varlamov
Bernier

I think teams will play Colorado, and it will be to their own detriment. Our energy, speed ans intensity should be at 100% every game, every shift.

With guys like Greer, Grimaldi, Bigras & others in SAR, the pressure will be on to perform, or be benched.

Last edited by Sea Eagles: 07-12-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Sea Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:17 AM
flyfysher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Realistically I think we will be between A and B.

I don't think we'll be as bad as scenario A, but don't see us getting to the 85 pts plateau in scenario B.

I think we end up at about 70-75pts. Varly has a solid healthy year, MacK has a good year 65+pts. Rantanen scores 30G, Jost surprises people gets 45-50pts, Yakupov meshes well with someone after being given a real chance at a top 6 role scores 20+goals, defense is better but still not there.

Duchene IMO gets traded before training camp, probably to CLB for a deal surrounding Murray+.

No other big deals are made during season, we end up with a top 5 pick as 70pts is an improvement but not enough to get us out of bottom 5.
Probably agree with this more than anything although I think the Avs will be closer to 80 points by the end of next season.

I don't think MacK will hit 65+ points if that. But I'd be happy if he did.

I'm going to go against the board's wishes, hopes and dreams and guess the Avs keep Dutch.

The PP and D should be a lot better (fingers crossed) but given our young players and how many there will be, I expect the Avs, especially Zadorov and Mironov to get called a lot for penalties (not that last year wasn't bad enough). I'm hoping Bigras and Lindholm will be able to stay with the club (the Avs, not the SAR) all season long.

Then again, I didn't think the Avs were going to have the stinker season that they did last year.

I think Bednar gets at least one more season after this upcoming one should the Avs end up being awful again. Basically, a show me what you can do opportunity. But we should see pretty early on what to expect of the Avs this season.

flyfysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:42 AM
raistlin76

C for me. Would love AVS make such big improvement.

raistlin76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:56 AM
LieutenantDangle
Mikko Kardashian

vCash: 1556
there seems to be a misunderstanding here on what this exercise is about. It's not 'pick which scenario you expect to happen', rather it's 'which scenario would you prefer to happen' kind of like the 'if you had a million dollars, what would you do?'

-Cheers

LieutenantDangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 11:05 AM
flyfysher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutenantDangle View Post
there seems to be a misunderstanding here on what this exercise is about. It's not 'pick which scenario you expect to happen', rather it's 'which scenario would you prefer to happen' kind of like the 'if you had a million dollars, what would you do?'

-Cheers

Forget the scenarios because I wouldn't want to see any of them happen as prognosticated. I'd just settle for the Avs to win the SC next season, no matter how they get there, regardless of what the scenario is - so long as it doesn't involve outright cheating.

flyfysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:29 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutenantDangle View Post

-Cheers

Yeah I read that wrong. I voted B but I'd liked C better as long as that record indicates the way we play not like the 13-14 season when we were outplayed all the time.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

I voted C. I just want to see good hockey.

Old
07-12-2017, 01:48 PM
arun
Stay-at-home Sniper

I'd say option D: Straight up Stanley Cup Champs.

Bettman might as well hand the cup over to Landy in Oct. and call it a day.

arun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Balthazar
Someone

No chance we finish behind Vegas. Zero. They have an ECHL caliber team.

Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:19 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
No chance we finish behind Vegas. Zero. They have an ECHL caliber team.
Let's not dare them

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Let's not dare them
Seriously though, they are much, much worse than us. McPhee unloaded pretty much everyone that could help them to win a game. Poor Fleury.

Old
07-12-2017, 02:30 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Seriously though, they are much, much worse than us. McPhee unloaded pretty much everyone that could help them to win a game. Poor Fleury.
I agree their roster looks ugly. It's like a collection of waiver claims and cap dumps. Kind of like us minus the top 10 draft picks.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I agree their roster looks ugly. It's like a collection of waiver claims and cap dumps. Kind of like us minus the top 10 draft picks.
When you trade your best D for a late 2nd round pick that's 2 years away you're not trying to win games.

Funny that the league wanted Vegas to be competitive straight out the gate (unlike previous expansion teams) which is why they changed the rules for the expansion draft.

Yeah it's not happening Gary.

Old
07-12-2017, 02:55 PM
missionAvs

I propose a 1st overall draft pick grudge match between the Avs and Vegas. The winner gets 1st overall. Watch Vegas win it .

missionAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

I wouldn't say they're ECHL-caliber. Yeah, they're bad, but not record-setting bad. They will be a better team than the Avs were last year for sure.

Now why in God's name they agreed to take Sbisa I will never know. But even then, that blueline is not the worst I've ever seen.

Hell, they even got a goalie who, on a good day, can keep them in games.

A LOT will depend on what kind of player Vadim Shipachyov ends up being. I'm not expecting him to be a star or anything, but he's not likely gonna be the next Jiri Dopita either.

Old
07-12-2017, 03:19 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
This is an interesting poll. It goes against everything I've thought about with patience and building properly but i think about all the fun times to be had...so I did C!! couldn't help myself. Cause at the end of the day I wanna be entertained. Hockey gods forgive me.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 03:34 PM
RumpleSnipeSkin
Bar Down

vCash: 50
Currently the swing vote on Option C. Winning seasons are fun, and the boys need to start having fun again. They also build confidence, make it easier to recruit free agents, make players more willing to re-sign. I like the current team, with a minor tweak here or there; I actually wouldn't mind keeping Duchene, too... *holds breath and takes cover*. Success breeds success

RumpleSnipeSkin is offline   Reply With Quote