Predicting The Western Conference 2017-18

Old
07-11-2017, 07:53 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
If LV was anywhere near the playoffs come the TD you still see a whole sale sell off. McPhee has designed his team to take advantage of high picks and lots of extra picks. Finishing in the fuzzy middle doesn't seem to be part of the plan.
Not a chance Bill Foley let's that happen. He's an old guy and is not thinking long term. He would love to go all in sooner than later. If McPhee is even hinting at a sell off, you will quickly see McCrimmon elevated.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 07:54 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
PACIFIC

1) Anaheim
2) Edmonton
3) LA

CENTRAL

1) Dallas
2) Minnesota
3) Chicago

Wildcard

1) St Louis
2) Calgary

Yes, that's right. Your resident pessimist is back and being the first to predict the Jets miss the playoffs. I have no rationale for my picks other than the alcohol is starting to have an effect and I feel... inspired. But I gotta say, I would laugh my ass off if AC is right and Vegas makes the playoffs their first year. Wouldn't that be a kick in the old Chevy nut sack!
As the self proclaimed resident pessimist I nominate you to start the 2017-18 tank thread. However, be warned that the mods shut (closed) my tank thread down that I started in the off season b4 the 2016-17 season.

Good luck with your pessimism But I got my money on a playoff version for this seasons Jets.

Edit.....I am counting on the playoff s this year so that I will be able to sell some of my Jets tickets down the stretch drive. Last year when we are out of contention early it gets difficult to move tickets I can't use.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 08:03 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Not a chance Bill Foley let's that happen. He's an old guy and is not thinking long term. He would love to go all in sooner than later. If McPhee is even hinting at a sell off, you will quickly see McCrimmon elevated.
Then Foley shouldn't have hired a GM that is trying to put a long term plan in place. LV is stacked with high priced pending UFA's. Several players were drafted and were kept for one reason and that is to convert into more picks and prospects at the TD.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 09:27 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Then Foley shouldn't have hired a GM that is trying to put a long term plan in place. LV is stacked with high priced pending UFA's. Several players were drafted and were kept for one reason and that is to convert into more picks and prospects at the TD.
I agree that was the original plan, with the expectation that this team would be nowhere near a playoff spot this season. I think a little success could change everything. And he has to consider that he is bringing hockey into an unproven market. Does he want to say to his fledgling fan base, no playoffs for you, you'll thank me in the long run? Chances are good they will be the Rusty Knights but if LV is near the line, watch McPhee turn into a buyer, not a seller.

Old
07-11-2017, 09:31 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
I agree that was the original plan, with the expectation that this team would be nowhere near a playoff spot this season. I think a little success could change everything. And he has to consider that he is bringing hockey into an unproven market. Does he want to say to his fledgling fan base, no playoffs for you, you'll thank me in the long run? Chances are good they will be the Rusty Knights but if LV is near the line, watch McPhee turn into a buyer, not a seller.
But if that's the case then maybe he should've just drafted Manson and scandella etc instead of grabbing garbage

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 09:37 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
But if that's the case then maybe he should've just drafted Manson and scandella etc instead of grabbing garbage
OK, but let's keep in mind that there are a lot of people in prison who really thought they had a good plan to get rich, and that turned out to not be the case.

Old
07-11-2017, 10:14 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:

Well then maybe he shouldn't have taken on $10 M+ in dead cap space with Grabovski and Clarkson. And then traded Kruger for a 5th, Emelin for a 3rd, Methot for a 7th round goalie pick this draft and a 2nd in 2020, Schlemko for a 5th in 2019 and Van Riemsdyk for a 2nd. That and not drafting Manson, Scandella or Dumba ensured he has none of the best d-man options available to him. A little late to consider being a buyer. More like a long term swath of lottery picks.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 11:58 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
What makes you think those players were available?

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:03 AM
JetFromFinland

vCash: 509
PACIFIC

1) Oilers
2) Ducks
3) Flames

CENTRAL

1) Stars
2) Preds
3) Jets

Wildcard

1) Hawks
2) Wild
Also in mix for WC: Sharks/Kings/Blues

I just felt this way. Well, here's some toughts:
- Wildcard spots are really a dogfight. Sharks/Kings/Minny/Hawks fight for those spots.
- About Blues... I don't know, they are maybe in fight for WC spots?
- Jets are third IF we stay healthy and Mason/Helle stay in .910-.915 range
- Stars offence leads them to first place.
- Preds defence keep them fighting for top spot.
- Pacific was easier to predict IMO. Oilers are top for sure.
- Coyotes are intresting to watch also.
- Canucks, Knights and Avalanche are bottom feeders.

JetFromFinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:29 AM
10Ducky10

1) Edmonton (Will beat out the Ducks by a sliver)
2) Anaheim (Declining but still good)
3) San Jose (Lots of talent and good goaltending)

CENTRAL

1) Minnesota (Good team and very well coached)
2) Dallas (I can't see how they don't improve drastically)
3) Winnipeg (Look at that, it was the goaltending)

Wildcard

1) Nashville ... (not as good this year as last)
2) Calgary ... (good team with suspect goaltending)

Edm over Cal
Ducks over Sharks
Minny over Preds
Jets over Stars

Edm over Ducks
Jets over Minny

Jets over Edm

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 09:46 AM
scarbrow21

Pacific
1) ANH- Lost very little from their roster. Arguably the best D-Core in the league and added a solid backup/1B in Miller. I can also see them moving a D-man to get another top 6 FWD which add's to their potency.
2) EDM- When you have the best player in the world success is a given. The supporting cast isn't going to be good enough to win the west but if Talbot can continue his success then they'll contend for it
3) CGY- Made some solid off-season moves this year. Growth from the young guys combined with a very solid D-core puts them at 3 and I think Smith will surpirse a lot of people with a good team infront of him

CENTRAL

1) NSH- When they got PK last year I called them as cup favorites, nothing has changed this year for me.
2) WIN- This is the year the Jets make the playoffs. They have arguably the best starting goalie they've had to date as Jets 2.0, they're offence will likely get better this year with another year of growth from all the young talent, and if they're even half as injured as last year or better they'll be no only playoff bound, but multiple rounds bound maybe even contending.
3) STL- The Central is highly weakened but STL still has some very good pieces and will likely command the third wildcard spot based on their defense alone

Wildcard (here's where it gets tricky)

1) DAL- As good as some people think DAL is, I think they're D leaves something to be desired, and people looking to Bishop as a savior are going to find out fast that's likely not the case. I still think they make the playoffs but are out first round
2) CHI/LAK/SJS- Regression hits hard for CHI and they've moved out too many good players to still be post season locks. Their backup goaltending, defense, and bottom 6 are big question marks and I think they will be in a dog fight to the end with LAK to make the final wildcard spot especially with the other teams in the central taking steps. LAK under new management, will likely have a better year but they're still missing some high end scoring and though have had decent possession numbers the last few years, I think that takes a decline with Sutter gone but lucky for them the rest of the competition in the west seems to be rebuilding. I find it hard to think SJS won't be in the mix too but I don't think they've done enough to maintain dominance anymore.

scarbrow21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:38 AM
surixon

I'm curious as to why everyone thinks Dallas is going to be dominant offensively, especially playing for Hitch?

To me they are incredibly top heavy, much more so than us.

Benn and Seguin are two of the games elite players but we have them matched with Scheifele and Wheeler imo.

After that they are depending on a 34 year old Spezza to drive the secondary scoring and Radulov who would have finished 5th on the Jets in points last season. Certainly two good players but one has to wonder how Spezza will fair under Hitch. But once again I'd say we have those two players equalled with Little and Perrault. After that they don't have anything of consequence offensively, certainly nothing in the stratosphere of Laine and Ehlers, nor a prospect as gifted as Connor ready to step in. I don't really see them as having the depth to keep up offensively with the big guns and they will more than likely have to count on a solid all around game and great goaltending to get in.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Jet
Buff Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
LOL I love how our outs are our worst 6 players!
I wouldn't say Staff and Postie were our worst 6 players BUT overall definite addition by subtraction going on there

07-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Jet
Buff Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I'm curious as to why everyone thinks Dallas is going to be dominant offensively, especially playing for Hitch?

Benn and Seguin are two of the games elite players but we have them matched with Scheifele and Wheeler imo.

After that they are depending on a 34 year old Spezza to drive the secondary scoring and Radulov who would have finished 5th on the Jets in points last season. Certainly two good players but one has to wonder how Spezza will fair under Hitch. But once again I'd say we have those two players equalled with Little and Perrault. After that they don't have anything of consequence offensively, certainly nothing in the stratosphere of Laine and Ehlers, nor a prospect as gifted as Connor ready to step in. I don't really see them as having the depth to keep up offensively with the big guns and they will more than likely have to count on a solid all around game and great goaltending to get in.
I agree. I am not going to take a crack at predicting the division because I still can't figure out for the life of me why Calgary isn't a bottom feeder.

I just don't see that much of a rebound from Dallas.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 11:00 AM
WerdnaG
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I agree. I am not going to take a crack at predicting the division because I still can't figure out for the life of me why Calgary isn't a bottom feeder.

I just don't see that much of a rebound from Dallas.
Solid top four, prettu good high end talent. As Pittsburgh has shown us in the past, its really all it takes.

WerdnaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 11:17 AM
DRW204

Dallas and Winnipeg were tied in points at game 71 of the season last year if I recall. Difference is wpg went 10-2 to finish the year, so it's not like the jets were leaps and bounds better for the year.

DRW204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW204 View Post
Dallas and Winnipeg were tied in points at game 71 of the season last year if I recall. Difference is wpg went 10-2 to finish the year, so it's not like the jets were leaps and bounds better for the year.
It doesn't matter when you win the games. At the end of the year they just count how many.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 06:58 PM
ATLbound

I would put our offence against Dallas, both teams healthy. IMO, Jets and Stars should and likely will be both top 5 in GF this year, when healthy we have better defence, they have the edge with Bishop although he is injury prone. And, they have a better coach.

1. Preds (nothing to see here, very good club)
2. Blues (IMO this could be any of Jets, Blues or Stars)
3. Jets (I think another year gone, Mason and Kulikov help)

1. Oilers
2.Ducks
3.Flames

Wildcard:
Stars (Could be 2/3 or WC, but are likely locks IMO)
Hawks (I see them falling to a WC team, still too good to miss playoffs)

Close calls: Sharks ( I still see them fighting hard for a top 3 Pacific or WC spot, but I also could see a down year for them)

Also close call: Wild ( I think they got weaker, and this may finally be the year teams pass them, like us)

ATLbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:56 PM
heilongjetsfan

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post

I was thinking the same thing about Radulov, but honestly he probably would have scored a lot more on the Stars last year than on the Habs. If he's not on a line with Benn and Seguin, then he'll be sheltered by them. After some thought, I still expect the Jets to be better than Dallas, but we can probably expect a higher output from Radulov than last year.

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote