HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov : Would you marry me thread?

Old
07-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Brainiac

vCash: 500
Markov : Would you marry me thread?

Let's continue here

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Runner77

vCash: 3740
A 38-year old D has no business asking for a rich 2-year deal and nor can we expect him to log first pairing duties and the minutes that go with it, in such a grueling sport with a heavy regular season schedule. The Rangers targeted him very effectively in the playoffs, so he's not someone who should be placed in a position to be average.

Andrei, enjoy your married life. Maybe you'll join your pals PK and Emelin in Nashville, to continue those stories you reminisced about at your wedding.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
It's 1 year or ciao Andrei!!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Andy

I'm extremely biased since Markov is one of my favorite players. I thought he was the team's best all around D-man last season.

I hope they bring him back. Dude is a stud.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm extremely biased since Markov is one of my favorite players. I thought he was the team's best all around D-man last season.

I hope they bring him back. Dude is a stud.
I like Markov too, but best all-around D-man? With the kind of start Petry and Weber had? And even with the kinds of playoffs Weber had?

He was very good in his own role, but he was caught flat-footed way more often than he did in years past and had softer assignments as well. So I don't know about him being our best all-around D. But he's definitely still what I would consider our #3D, and a very capable one at that.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:39 PM
shamrun

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Let's review: This is the Markov thread. The thread about players from other teams is thataway.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:43 PM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

I just think it is time to move on from the Markov era. He is at that age where even a one year contract could be annoying. It's like players this age just go over a ledge and suddenly decline without much warning. He's been a good player throughout his regular season career but come playoff time he's been unimpressive and something for the opposition to eye up.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:49 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 1782
When it comes to Markov I actually agree with a take it or leave it approach. Either a 1 year 5.75M or a 2yr deal with a much lower cap hit. At this point it sounds like he doesn't have many options.

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Runner77

vCash: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I just think it is time to move on from the Markov era. He is at that age where even a one year contract could be annoying. It's like players this age just go over a ledge and suddenly decline without much warning. He's been a good player throughout his regular season career but come playoff time he's been unimpressive and something for the opposition to eye up.
He's a calculated risk, if the price point and term makes sense. It doesn't right now and who knows what Bergevin considers to be reasonable.

Plus, his minutes would have to be a lot more carefully managed. Since there is little in the way of offense in the current LHD contingent, if he's signed, he would probably get much more TOI than he should, which leads to a diminishing returns situation.

And most importantly, from swimmer77 to Runner77, it's surf and turf. We have our bases covered.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:52 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
What's he waiting for?

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Random thought, but that's the first time I ever recall reading would instead of will for will you marry me. Just my two cents

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:09 PM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
He's a calculated risk, if the price point and term makes sense. It doesn't right now and who knows what Bergevin considers to be reasonable.

Plus, his minutes would have to be a lot more carefully managed. Since there is little in the way of offense in the current LHD contingent, if he's signed, he would probably get much more TOI than he should, which leads to a diminishing returns situation.

And most importantly, from swimmer77 to Runner77, it's surf and turf. We have our bases covered.
Strangely, I believe there are more "77's" on these boards somewhere. But right now I'm hungry for lobster and steak. Unfortunately I wasn't invited to the big Markov wedding to partake in such cuisine.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:12 PM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

galchenuk said markov was like his 2nd dad
sign him

CaptainBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:13 PM
The Great Pateryn

vCash: 157
Markov is a crucial part of the team.

The Great Pateryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Oncle Jerry View Post
I like Markov too, but best all-around D-man? With the kind of start Petry and Weber had? And even with the kinds of playoffs Weber had?
Yup, he was fantastic last year. He was easily the most consistent. Weber cooled down significantly after October and had a rough December-Jan. Petry was his usual inconsistent self.

The Habs played 6 playoff games, can't really give a judgement on such a short span. Everyone had games where they played well and others not much, Weber included.

I'd love to see Markov back. He's so damn good.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

What's one more year at $5.75M for Markov? Get er done boys.

Lets say Markov is back.
Markov / Weber
Alzner / Petry
Benn / Schlemko

Spares:
- Davidson. He will get his share of games for sure. Plays in Markov's spot on back to back games.
- Morrow. Great depth to have on D in case of injuries. Also plays in Markov's spot on back to back games.
- Jerabek. Is he good enough to play in the NHL? Will he be ok with AHL if not?

Habaholicgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Bieber fever

3 years at 3,5M$

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:30 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yup, he was fantastic last year. He was easily the most consistent. Weber cooled down significantly after October and had a rough December-Jan. Petry was his usual inconsistent self.

The Habs played 6 playoff games, can't really give a judgement on such a short span. Everyone had games where they played well and others not much, Weber included.

I'd love to see Markov back. He's so damn good.
Markov's experience and respect factors are valuable in themselves. He was still a positive contributor last season. Hopefully he'll be offered a contract that will allow him to finish his glorious career as a Hab.

Perhaps he could be persuaded to move into coaching the following season. Some additional guaranteed income off the cap would benefit player and team down the road.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Markov's experience and respect factors are valuable in themselves. He was still a positive contributor last season. Hopefully he'll be offered a contract that will allow him to finish his glorious career as a Hab.

Perhaps he could be persuaded to move into coaching the following season. Some additional guaranteed income off the cap would benefit player and team down the road.
I'd love Markov to retire as a Hab, but y'know... I'm wondering if he'd have the communication skills to coach. No idea. I don't know what he's like in the locker. But doing and teaching are very different skill sets.

Am I willing invest over $5M in cap space for a future coach? One year, yeah. More than that... no way, Andre.

Old
07-11-2017, 01:59 PM
scrubadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
What's he waiting for?
I say its a combination of him representing himself (he has no agent) and getting married.

Wedding+Honeymoon doesn't leave a lot of time to negotiate a contract. If you have an agent its a different story.

I just find it odd that he hasn't signed anywhere nor has MB used that cap space on anything.

scrubadam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
I say its a combination of him representing himself (he has no agent) and getting married.

Wedding+Honeymoon doesn't leave a lot of time to negotiate a contract. If you have an agent its a different story.

I just find it odd that he hasn't signed anywhere nor has MB used that cap space on anything.
We need that cap space to take on the contract of the center we're trading for.

Old
07-11-2017, 02:17 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'd love Markov to retire as a Hab, but y'know... I'm wondering if he'd have the communication skills to coach. No idea. I don't know what he's like in the locker. But doing and teaching are very different skill sets.

Am I willing invest over $5M in cap space for a future coach? One year, yeah. More than that... no way, Andre.
Markov is stoic in public but I'm not sure that extends into hockey related situations. I'd hazard a guess that he could effectively communicate hockey related instructions to other players.

1 year at a time is likely all Markov will receive from any team. I'm quite sure he'd rather remain a Hab, and signing him isn't holding back any young players currently.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:23 PM
junyab

Markov was around when they let Koivu walk...

junyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Tank Toad

I hope he is back. He has been a great player, just reduce his fricking minutes.

Tank Toad is offline   Reply With Quote