HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Markov : Would you marry me thread? (Not returning to Montreal)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Runner77

vCash: 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Strangely, I believe there are more "77's" on these boards somewhere. But right now I'm hungry for lobster and steak. Unfortunately I wasn't invited to the big Markov wedding to partake in such cuisine.
True, I've seen other "77's' on the board but not associated with athletic disciplines.

Can only imagine the plates at Markov's wedding, a feast for a king.

Old
07-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Deebs
Heartless Russians

vCash: 500
1 year @ $5M....heck, I'd even go to $5.5M, but it needs to be a 1 year deal.

Old
07-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Toad View Post
I hope he is back. He has been a great player, just reduce his fricking minutes.
How many years have we been saying that? Heck, even the coaches that had him since his last surgery have been repeating that. But, what tilts the balance every time -- the lack of quality options. No one else with his skillset on the left side means we're giving the coach a license to do what others before him have done. But, that could disappear completely if Bergevin moves on.

Old
07-11-2017, 02:54 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It's 1 year or ciao Andrei!!!!
Which is stupid. He keeps himself in such good shape I just don't see him dropping in play so badly that a two year deal would be a problem. Without him back, the team will have trouble moving out of their own zone.

Old
07-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Victorius

Give him a 2 seasons contract with a 5 million cap hit

But pay him 7 million $ next season, and 3 million the following. If he is bad next year, his contrcat can be bought out easily for the year after.

The guy deserves it. He played his whole carreer for the Habs. and he is still very effective.

Old
07-11-2017, 03:11 PM
negative77
Stay frosty

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
True, I've seen other "77's' on the board but not associated with athletic disciplines.

Can only imagine the plates at Markov's wedding, a feast for a king.
77 rules!

Old
07-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Hugo Sham

he's not coming back. let's move on. give his spot to a younger D

Old
07-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
How many years have we been saying that? Heck, even the coaches that had him since his last surgery have been repeating that. But, what tilts the balance every time -- the lack of quality options. No one else with his skillset on the left side means we're giving the coach a license to do what others before him have done. But, that could disappear completely if Bergevin moves on.
His minutes have been reduced though...

If he can't handle 22 minutes per game then why even bother giving him 5M?

Old
07-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Deebs
Heartless Russians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

Because he is still productive. Give a little, take a little on both sides. That's why we should do a 1 year deal, at a higher salary (ie 5-5.5M).

Keep him around 21-22 mins a night and everything will be fine. I think we'll have 3 solid pairings on D to start the year and then adjust accordingly when injuries happen, which of course they will.

Old
07-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It's 1 year or ciao Andrei!!!!
You mean привет Markov. Unless he also has took out Italian citizenship and I didn't know about it.

Old
07-11-2017, 04:28 PM
HabsDood
We're the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorius View Post

But pay him 7 million $ next season, and 3 million the following. If he is bad next year, his contrcat can be bought out easily for the year after.

The guy deserves it. He played his whole carreer for the Habs. and he is still very effective.
Hey man, I thought the exact same, 7+3, let the second year float maybe but he'll still be around and I think he'll perform! Maybe he's the next Jagr..

Old
07-11-2017, 04:44 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Id give him 5M for a year or 3.5 for 2. Something along those lines seems reasonable. Hes still a productive player.

Old
07-11-2017, 04:47 PM
scrubadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorius View Post

Don't think thats possible. First and last year can't be more than 50% difference and I think that the drop from year to year can't be more than 35%.

I am all for giving Markov a 2 year deal if the cap hit is low enough and the 2nd year of the contract real dollars is low as well, but its making it work with the CBA that will be difficult.

I think it would more likely have to be 7/4.5 or 6.5/4.25

Old
07-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Sham View Post
he's not coming back. let's move on. give his spot to a younger D
I think he will be back. Teams all around the league have to settle their line-up and salary payroll right now, and I don't think they have the luxury to wait for him, especially since most teams must suspect that Montreal is a likely signing for him. His window of opportunity as UFA is dimmer and dimmer by the day. He could have some kind of unofficial verbal agreement with a team, like, "let me get the wedding done and I will be back to you for signature", but I highly doubt it because in these days and age, we would know I'm sure.

Old
07-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative77 View Post
77 rules!
77 branded buddies comin' thru!!!

Old
07-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Runner77

Quote:

Agreed. But he wants to get paid like someone who does more than that.

And we know he's going to be overused again if he signs.

Would much rather that cap hit be allocated to someone younger and who has an offensive tilt. I know, easier said than done.

Old
07-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yup, he was fantastic last year. He was easily the most consistent. Weber cooled down significantly after October and had a rough December-Jan. Petry was his usual inconsistent self.

The Habs played 6 playoff games, can't really give a judgement on such a short span. Everyone had games where they played well and others not much, Weber included.

I'd love to see Markov back. He's so damn good.
One of my Favs as well. Has never been a HUGE playoff performer, but I would say people comparing a prime weber vs an aging markov are not really comparing things well. I also don't think weber was outstanding in his last 3 playoff games, far from it. Markov still drives so much of our offence. We don't sign him and he fails to finish his 1000 games and retire a hab and I will have one more reason to hate MB.

This is like how they tossed aside Koivu because he had almost the same number of seasons as Big Jean as captain, but played with a terrible team. Can't have someone not 'viewed' as great to surpass other greats on Hab chck lists. Yet I think our poor mans lidstrom has always been a great player. Take away his 3 injured seasons and he would be leading in a lot of other categories.

Hoping he at least signs for the year, even though his play was head and shoulders above everyone not named weber last season. And he kept up with our 8 million man mountian and pushed the play a lot more. Says a lot about the dumpster fire that MB built with this defence(which is worse next year regardless of Markov being resigned)

Old
07-11-2017, 07:57 PM
WG

Quote:
Agreed. But he wants to get paid like someone who does more than that.

And we know he's going to be overused again if he signs.

Would much rather that cap hit be allocated to someone younger and who has an offensive tilt. I know, easier said than done.
Indeed. Habs have 9M in cap space and nothing to spend it on. Right now, a legit option for a PMD who can help run the PP doesn't exist unless MB trades more assets from his diminished pool, which he still needs potentially to find a centre.

Just get it done FFS. Markov is by far the best UFA left, 1 year at 5-ish M, still leaves plenty of cap to do something if a C becomes available.

Old
07-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
One of my Favs as well. Has never been a HUGE playoff performer, but I would say people comparing a prime weber vs an aging markov are not really comparing things well. I also don't think weber was outstanding in his last 3 playoff games, far from it. Markov still drives so much of our offence. We don't sign him and he fails to finish his 1000 games and retire a hab and I will have one more reason to hate MB.

This is like how they tossed aside Koivu because he had almost the same number of seasons as Big Jean as captain, but played with a terrible team. Can't have someone not 'viewed' as great to surpass other greats on Hab chck lists. Yet I think our poor mans lidstrom has always been a great player. Take away his 3 injured seasons and he would be leading in a lot of other categories.

Hoping he at least signs for the year, even though his play was head and shoulders above everyone not named weber last season. And he kept up with our 8 million man mountian and pushed the play a lot more. Says a lot about the dumpster fire that MB built with this defence(which is worse next year regardless of Markov being resigned)
No argument about Markov's value, however I'll take issue with the D being a 'dumpster fire'. Far from it. In fact, all the numbers show the Habs were top 5 to 8 (approx.) in every defence-based category. And no, obviously I'm not talking about goalie-influenced stats like GAA.

And for what it's worth, those same defensive stats were really good in the six playoff games as well. You think losing Emelin and Beaulieu will change that? I don't. Losing Markov would be a different story...

Old
07-11-2017, 10:35 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
When it comes to Markov I actually agree with a take it or leave it approach. Either a 1 year 5.75M or a 2yr deal with a much lower cap hit. At this point it sounds like he doesn't have many options.
He has plenty of options.

If he decides to take 1-year, he has dozens of options.

Old
07-11-2017, 11:12 PM
Kriss E

I don't see the big deal with a 2 year deal. He will still put up points around .5ppg and we need a D that can move the puck well. If it doesn't work out, you buy him out, but even then you'd likely give him another chance.
Really, I don't have an issue.

Old
07-11-2017, 11:57 PM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't see the big deal with a 2 year deal. He will still put up points around .5ppg and we need a D that can move the puck well. If it doesn't work out, you buy him out, but even then you'd likely give him another chance.
Really, I don't have an issue.
Buying him out accomplishes nothing as his full cap hit will remain on the books.

35+ years contract rule.

Old
07-12-2017, 12:35 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Buying him out accomplishes nothing as his full cap hit will remain on the books.

35+ years contract rule.
So be it. I don't think we would have to buy him out anyways.

Old
07-12-2017, 06:18 AM
rafal majka

Quote:
He's a calculated risk, if the price point and term makes sense. It doesn't right now and who knows what Bergevin considers to be reasonable.

Plus, his minutes would have to be a lot more carefully managed. Since there is little in the way of offense in the current LHD contingent, if he's signed, he would probably get much more TOI than he should, which leads to a diminishing returns situation.

And most importantly, from swimmer77 to Runner77, it's surf and turf. We have our bases covered.
Markov drives the Habs' 5-on-5 offense from the back. Better than any other D on the team by a large margin. If he's not signed the Habs will suck even worse.

Old
07-12-2017, 06:55 AM
Asamu

Markov is able to feed anyone from anywhere on the ice and will be able to do it for another year. His bionic knee seems to carry him well.

When he's battling for the puck in the corner, he will win his battles most of the time: like about 70%...I was very impressed this year.

He tied up Guy Lapointe's record as a Hab. Too bad he didn't hold the cup in his hands. I would have retired his jersey.

Closed Thread