HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Markov : Would you marry me thread? (Not returning to Montreal)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2017, 07:05 AM
  #51
Roadhouse
Lehkonen is a 350z
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 684
vCash: 135
Markov -if signed- cannot play 1st pairing minutes in the PO, we all know that much. Unless MB disregards the C position once again and spends some assets + the remaining cap on a LHD, we will have to make do with Schlemko or Jerabek on the 1st pairing in the 2018 PO. Could be ugly.

Between 1st pairing stability, top 6 C deficiencies and lineup shuffling to determine where Drouin and Hemsky fit best, 2017-18 will be a **** show. Signing Markov and losing him to injury would sting even more.

Roadhouse is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 07:14 AM
  #52
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 4,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative77 View Post
77 rules!
Hey......there some positive feedback! LOL

Welcome to the 77 club.

Still think the Habs should move on from Markov. Not favorites for the Cup. Let some youngsters get some valuable playing time.

swimmer77 is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 07:42 AM
  #53
Agalloch
EliteProspects
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
25stanley (the ones that broke Galchenyuk signing) said Habs offered Mark Streit 1 year 1.5M.

So Markov is gone?

Agalloch is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 07:48 AM
  #54
swissexpert
Registered User
 
swissexpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 2,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
25stanley (the ones that broke Galchenyuk signing) said Habs offered Mark Streit 1 year 1.5M.

So Markov is gone?
Source:
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...parer-comme-ca

swissexpert is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 07:52 AM
  #55
Agalloch
EliteProspects
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Yes, so it seems Streit is the plan B.

Agalloch is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 08:19 AM
  #56
Et le But
Registered User
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 19,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm extremely biased since Markov is one of my favorite players. I thought he was the team's best all around D-man last season.

I hope they bring him back. Dude is a stud.
Petry had the best metrics and I still do trust Weber against the toughest competition. But Markov was very,very good last year and a prime reason for our strong start and end to the regular season.

His age makes him a risk, but he's asking for 2 years out of merit. All this talk about how a player his age should be grateful for what he can get out of context isn't fair. Markov has already been sapped of his athleticism after his injuries and takes good care of himself; it's unlikely he falls off completely in the next year, and he'd be movable as an expiring contract anyway. A team that has Weber and Alzner locked down until their bones disintegrate really can't talk.

Et le But is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 08:27 AM
  #57
Scriptor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Petry had the best metrics and I still do trust Weber against the toughest competition. But Markov was very,very good last year and a prime reason for our strong start and end to the regular season.

His age makes him a risk, but he's asking for 2 years out of merit. All this talk about how a player his age should be grateful for what he can get out of context isn't fair. Markov has already been sapped of his athleticism after his injuries and takes good care of himself; it's unlikely he falls off completely in the next year, and he'd be movable as an expiring contract anyway. A team that has Weber and Alzner locked down until their bones disintegrate really can't talk.
It's not a question of needing to be grateful or not or having merit for his demands when it comes to Markov for me. It's a question of demanding 2 years. Montreal, IMO, especially if it wants to tweak the Offense, can't afford to pay Markov for two years.

Scriptor is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 10:10 AM
  #58
Belial
Registered User
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So be it. I don't think we would have to buy him out anyways.
Why is Markov so hell-bent on getting 2 years?

Sign a one-year deal, do well, resign another one-year deal...

If he really wants a 2-year deal his salary demands should go down by a fair margin.

Belial is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 10:22 AM
  #59
rafal majka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
The Habs will need to get lots of PP opportunities in 2017-18.

That's the only way their back end is going to produce anything on offense.

rafal majka is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 11:22 AM
  #60
Doc McKenna
Registered User
 
Doc McKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
No argument about Markov's value, however I'll take issue with the D being a 'dumpster fire'. Far from it. In fact, all the numbers show the Habs were top 5 to 8 (approx.) in every defence-based category. And no, obviously I'm not talking about goalie-influenced stats like GAA.

And for what it's worth, those same defensive stats were really good in the six playoff games as well. You think losing Emelin and Beaulieu will change that? I don't. Losing Markov would be a different story...
No way are we top10 with that left side. Davidson is an ahler, jarabek will likely not even replace nate, alzner is a slight upgrade on emelin. So we have to hope schelmko and streit make up for markov?? Im still not sold on benn being beter than pateryn. Team toughness? Less for sure.

Doc McKenna is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 11:38 AM
  #61
Deebs
Heartless Russians
 
Deebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
No way are we top10 with that left side. Davidson is an ahler, jarabek will likely not even replace nate, alzner is a slight upgrade on emelin. So we have to hope schelmko and streit make up for markov?? Im still not sold on benn being beter than pateryn. Team toughness? Less for sure.
I take it you didn't watch any games after we acquired him last year

Deebs is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 11:48 AM
  #62
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
No way are we top10 with that left side. Davidson is an ahler, jarabek will likely not even replace nate, alzner is a slight upgrade on emelin. So we have to hope schelmko and streit make up for markov?? Im still not sold on benn being beter than pateryn. Team toughness? Less for sure.
While agree that missing a #2 LHD is an incredibly huge hole, that not even Markov can properly fill, I don't agree that Davidson is an ahler.

Davidson was pretty solid in his rookie season, but he has been hampered by injuries. He ended 15-16 season in a collision with Byfuglien, only found LBI, knee, calf, ankle, I don't find any specifics. He missed pre-season with a concussion and in game 1 of 16-17 season, he lost another 29 games with an UBI (not head of concussion, said the coach).

Give the guy a chance, but I agree we have far too many #4-5-6 D on this roster.

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 01:26 PM
  #63
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,698
vCash: 500
Anyone else think that maybe the reason Markov doesn't have an agent is because it's all or nothing with the Habs? IE, this is what it's going to cost if you want me back - non negotiable? He's not listening to other offers because he doesn't want to move etc at this point in his life, and he will just retire if he doesn't get signed?

With all the stuff that has been going on in his personal life, and the fact he's made 60 million over the course of his career... I think it's plausible.

Thoughts?

BadHabit is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 01:31 PM
  #64
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Anyone else think that maybe the reason Markov doesn't have an agent is because it's all or nothing with the Habs? IE, this is what it's going to cost if you want me back - non negotiable? He's not listening to other offers because he doesn't want to move etc at this point in his life, and he will just retire if he doesn't get signed?

With all the stuff that has been going on in his personal life, and the fact he's made 60 million over the course of his career... I think it's plausible.

Thoughts?
Well I can't really see Markov signing with another team. If there was an enticing offer he would of signed by now dont you think?

I said a few pages back maybe he retires. Or maybe his new family just wants to live in Russia and is done with Montreal.

Its just odd that on the 12th of July he doesn't have a contract.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 06:45 PM
  #65
Ozymandias
#firebergevin
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,508
vCash: 500
Someone I know who lives close to Markov's place told me his house has been on sale for a few weeks now.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 07:56 PM
  #66
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
No way are we top10 with that left side. Davidson is an ahler, jarabek will likely not even replace nate, alzner is a slight upgrade on emelin. So we have to hope schelmko and streit make up for markov?? Im still not sold on benn being beter than pateryn. Team toughness? Less for sure.
There's some ridiculous comments in here.

What do you know of Jerabek (the fact you can't spell his name does not instil confidence) to know that he likely won't replace Beaulieu? How did you arrive at the conclusion that Karl Alzner was a "slight upgrade" on Emelin and, perhaps most laughable, how is it possible that you are not sold on Benn being better than Pateryn? Did you follow the team last year? Every single one of Benn's games in Canadiens uniform were better than *any* game Pateryn had ever played for Montreal. Honestly - did you follow the team last season?

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 07:57 PM
  #67
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Someone I know who lives close to Markov's place told me his house has been on sale for a few weeks now.
Considering Markov just got married, it doesn't seem to odd that he would sell the place he previously lived in.

It's a strange comment either way though because I'm 99 percent sure that Markov didn't own property in Montreal.

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 07:59 PM
  #68
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
I take it you didn't watch any games after we acquired him last year


My sentiments exactly!

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 08:53 PM
  #69
Ozymandias
#firebergevin
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Considering Markov just got married, it doesn't seem to odd that he would sell the place he previously lived in.

It's a strange comment either way though because I'm 99 percent sure that Markov didn't own property in Montreal.
He has a house in Candiac. Has owned it for several years.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 09:20 PM
  #70
LeHab
Registered User
 
LeHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Its just odd that on the 12th of July he doesn't have a contract.
He just got married and is probably enjoying a nice honeymoon. He will sign sooner or later.

LeHab is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 09:27 PM
  #71
Belial
Registered User
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
He has a house in Candiac. Has owned it for several years.
Maybe he wants a bigger one like Pacioretty?

Belial is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 09:41 PM
  #72
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,377
vCash: 500
Markov was much better for much longer than I expected he'd be. And honestly, if we'd made some different moves about three years ago we might've even won a cup with him. Scary that he's still as important to us now as he's been for so long.

I'd love for him to come back but for him to come back and us let go of Radulov really doesn't change anything. One step forward with Drouin, one back with Radulov... I hate to say it but it really doesn't matter if we sign this guy or not. Without some more real improvements then I can't see us going anywhere anyway.

__________________
- 40,000 & counting...
Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
07-12-2017, 09:56 PM
  #73
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 3339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Someone I know who lives close to Markov's place told me his house has been on sale for a few weeks now.
Apparently, it's the 4th time in the past 6 years that he's put up that same home for sale: http://hollywoodpq.com/markov-met-en...ison-en-vente/

Runner77 is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 09:56 PM
  #74
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: hong kong
Posts: 34,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Why is Markov so hell-bent on getting 2 years?

Sign a one-year deal, do well, resign another one-year deal...

If he really wants a 2-year deal his salary demands should go down by a fair margin.
Who cares man, it's one extra year. It won't cripple you.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
07-12-2017, 10:13 PM
  #75
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
He has a house in Candiac. Has owned it for several years.
Are you sure he owned it?

I met, on a few occasions, two partners that owned various high end properties in Montreal and they were clients of the Canadiens that helped arrange rental properties, both homes and condos for players and I'm quite certain that Andrei, for a long time now, was in one of their properties. I suppose it's possible he subsequently purchased the home from them, but that would be an odd choice for them to sell off one of their properties and odd choice for Andrei to buy it considering he often goes back to Russia for the off-season.

EDIT: Just saw Runner77's post. That is not the same home I was thinking of.

FerrisRox is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.