HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Markov : Would you marry me thread? (Not returning to Montreal)

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2017, 07:05 AM
Roadhouse
Lehkonen is a 350z

vCash: 135
Markov -if signed- cannot play 1st pairing minutes in the PO, we all know that much. Unless MB disregards the C position once again and spends some assets + the remaining cap on a LHD, we will have to make do with Schlemko or Jerabek on the 1st pairing in the 2018 PO. Could be ugly.

Between 1st pairing stability, top 6 C deficiencies and lineup shuffling to determine where Drouin and Hemsky fit best, 2017-18 will be a **** show. Signing Markov and losing him to injury would sting even more.

Old
07-12-2017, 07:14 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative77 View Post
77 rules!
Hey......there some positive feedback! LOL

Welcome to the 77 club.

Still think the Habs should move on from Markov. Not favorites for the Cup. Let some youngsters get some valuable playing time.

Old
07-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Agalloch
EliteProspects

25stanley (the ones that broke Galchenyuk signing) said Habs offered Mark Streit 1 year 1.5M.

So Markov is gone?

Old
07-12-2017, 07:48 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
25stanley (the ones that broke Galchenyuk signing) said Habs offered Mark Streit 1 year 1.5M.

So Markov is gone?
Source:
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...parer-comme-ca

Old
07-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Agalloch
EliteProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Yes, so it seems Streit is the plan B.

Old
07-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm extremely biased since Markov is one of my favorite players. I thought he was the team's best all around D-man last season.

I hope they bring him back. Dude is a stud.
Petry had the best metrics and I still do trust Weber against the toughest competition. But Markov was very,very good last year and a prime reason for our strong start and end to the regular season.

His age makes him a risk, but he's asking for 2 years out of merit. All this talk about how a player his age should be grateful for what he can get out of context isn't fair. Markov has already been sapped of his athleticism after his injuries and takes good care of himself; it's unlikely he falls off completely in the next year, and he'd be movable as an expiring contract anyway. A team that has Weber and Alzner locked down until their bones disintegrate really can't talk.

Old
07-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Petry had the best metrics and I still do trust Weber against the toughest competition. But Markov was very,very good last year and a prime reason for our strong start and end to the regular season.

His age makes him a risk, but he's asking for 2 years out of merit. All this talk about how a player his age should be grateful for what he can get out of context isn't fair. Markov has already been sapped of his athleticism after his injuries and takes good care of himself; it's unlikely he falls off completely in the next year, and he'd be movable as an expiring contract anyway. A team that has Weber and Alzner locked down until their bones disintegrate really can't talk.
It's not a question of needing to be grateful or not or having merit for his demands when it comes to Markov for me. It's a question of demanding 2 years. Montreal, IMO, especially if it wants to tweak the Offense, can't afford to pay Markov for two years.

Old
07-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So be it. I don't think we would have to buy him out anyways.
Why is Markov so hell-bent on getting 2 years?

Sign a one-year deal, do well, resign another one-year deal...

If he really wants a 2-year deal his salary demands should go down by a fair margin.

Old
07-12-2017, 10:22 AM
rafal majka

The Habs will need to get lots of PP opportunities in 2017-18.

That's the only way their back end is going to produce anything on offense.

Old
07-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
No argument about Markov's value, however I'll take issue with the D being a 'dumpster fire'. Far from it. In fact, all the numbers show the Habs were top 5 to 8 (approx.) in every defence-based category. And no, obviously I'm not talking about goalie-influenced stats like GAA.

And for what it's worth, those same defensive stats were really good in the six playoff games as well. You think losing Emelin and Beaulieu will change that? I don't. Losing Markov would be a different story...
No way are we top10 with that left side. Davidson is an ahler, jarabek will likely not even replace nate, alzner is a slight upgrade on emelin. So we have to hope schelmko and streit make up for markov?? Im still not sold on benn being beter than pateryn. Team toughness? Less for sure.

Old
07-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Deebs
Heartless Russians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
No way are we top10 with that left side. Davidson is an ahler, jarabek will likely not even replace nate, alzner is a slight upgrade on emelin. So we have to hope schelmko and streit make up for markov?? Im still not sold on benn being beter than pateryn. Team toughness? Less for sure.
I take it you didn't watch any games after we acquired him last year

Old
07-12-2017, 11:48 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
While agree that missing a #2 LHD is an incredibly huge hole, that not even Markov can properly fill, I don't agree that Davidson is an ahler.

Davidson was pretty solid in his rookie season, but he has been hampered by injuries. He ended 15-16 season in a collision with Byfuglien, only found LBI, knee, calf, ankle, I don't find any specifics. He missed pre-season with a concussion and in game 1 of 16-17 season, he lost another 29 games with an UBI (not head of concussion, said the coach).

Give the guy a chance, but I agree we have far too many #4-5-6 D on this roster.

Old
07-12-2017, 01:26 PM
BadHabit

Anyone else think that maybe the reason Markov doesn't have an agent is because it's all or nothing with the Habs? IE, this is what it's going to cost if you want me back - non negotiable? He's not listening to other offers because he doesn't want to move etc at this point in his life, and he will just retire if he doesn't get signed?

With all the stuff that has been going on in his personal life, and the fact he's made 60 million over the course of his career... I think it's plausible.

Thoughts?

Old
07-12-2017, 01:31 PM
scrubadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Anyone else think that maybe the reason Markov doesn't have an agent is because it's all or nothing with the Habs? IE, this is what it's going to cost if you want me back - non negotiable? He's not listening to other offers because he doesn't want to move etc at this point in his life, and he will just retire if he doesn't get signed?

With all the stuff that has been going on in his personal life, and the fact he's made 60 million over the course of his career... I think it's plausible.

Thoughts?
Well I can't really see Markov signing with another team. If there was an enticing offer he would of signed by now dont you think?

I said a few pages back maybe he retires. Or maybe his new family just wants to live in Russia and is done with Montreal.

Its just odd that on the 12th of July he doesn't have a contract.

Old
07-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Ozymandias
#firebergevin

Someone I know who lives close to Markov's place told me his house has been on sale for a few weeks now.

Old
07-12-2017, 07:56 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
There's some ridiculous comments in here.

What do you know of Jerabek (the fact you can't spell his name does not instil confidence) to know that he likely won't replace Beaulieu? How did you arrive at the conclusion that Karl Alzner was a "slight upgrade" on Emelin and, perhaps most laughable, how is it possible that you are not sold on Benn being better than Pateryn? Did you follow the team last year? Every single one of Benn's games in Canadiens uniform were better than *any* game Pateryn had ever played for Montreal. Honestly - did you follow the team last season?

Old
07-12-2017, 07:57 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Someone I know who lives close to Markov's place told me his house has been on sale for a few weeks now.
Considering Markov just got married, it doesn't seem to odd that he would sell the place he previously lived in.

It's a strange comment either way though because I'm 99 percent sure that Markov didn't own property in Montreal.

Old
07-12-2017, 07:59 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
I take it you didn't watch any games after we acquired him last year

My sentiments exactly!

Old
07-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firebergevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Considering Markov just got married, it doesn't seem to odd that he would sell the place he previously lived in.

It's a strange comment either way though because I'm 99 percent sure that Markov didn't own property in Montreal.
He has a house in Candiac. Has owned it for several years.

Old
07-12-2017, 09:20 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Its just odd that on the 12th of July he doesn't have a contract.
He just got married and is probably enjoying a nice honeymoon. He will sign sooner or later.

Old
07-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Maybe he wants a bigger one like Pacioretty?

Old
07-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Markov was much better for much longer than I expected he'd be. And honestly, if we'd made some different moves about three years ago we might've even won a cup with him. Scary that he's still as important to us now as he's been for so long.

I'd love for him to come back but for him to come back and us let go of Radulov really doesn't change anything. One step forward with Drouin, one back with Radulov... I hate to say it but it really doesn't matter if we sign this guy or not. Without some more real improvements then I can't see us going anywhere anyway.

07-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Runner77

vCash: 3339
Quote:
Apparently, it's the 4th time in the past 6 years that he's put up that same home for sale: http://hollywoodpq.com/markov-met-en...ison-en-vente/

Old
07-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Why is Markov so hell-bent on getting 2 years?

Sign a one-year deal, do well, resign another one-year deal...

If he really wants a 2-year deal his salary demands should go down by a fair margin.
Who cares man, it's one extra year. It won't cripple you.

Old
07-12-2017, 10:13 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Are you sure he owned it?

I met, on a few occasions, two partners that owned various high end properties in Montreal and they were clients of the Canadiens that helped arrange rental properties, both homes and condos for players and I'm quite certain that Andrei, for a long time now, was in one of their properties. I suppose it's possible he subsequently purchased the home from them, but that would be an odd choice for them to sell off one of their properties and odd choice for Andrei to buy it considering he often goes back to Russia for the off-season.

EDIT: Just saw Runner77's post. That is not the same home I was thinking of.

Closed Thread