HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Markov : Would you marry me thread?

Old
07-12-2017, 10:13 PM
Chili

vCash: 500
I'd be curious if Markov is interested in playing in the Olympics?

Have to believe there would be some interest if he was thinking of signing in the KHL.

Kovalchuk, for one, said it was a factor in him staying there this season.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 07:07 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I'd be curious if Markov is interested in playing in the Olympics?

Have to believe there would be some interest if he was thinking of signing in the KHL.

I'm pretty sure Kovalchuk said that in an effort to save face when he discovered the interest in his NHL return was luke warm at best.

Ray Shero did not receive a single offer for Kovalchuk. There were a handful of teams that inquired about acquiring his rights, but not a single offer. Considering Kovy becomes an unrestricted free agent next year and this was New Jersey's last chance to get anything for him, Shero was very reasonable about the price to acquire him too.

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I'm pretty sure Kovalchuk said that in an effort to save face when he discovered the interest in his NHL return was luke warm at best.

Ray Shero did not receive a single offer for Kovalchuk. There were a handful of teams that inquired about acquiring his rights, but not a single offer. Considering Kovy becomes an unrestricted free agent next year and this was New Jersey's last chance to get anything for him, Shero was very reasonable about the price to acquire him too.
Maybe , I just believe that the Olympics mean something to some players and the NHL decision could be a consideration.

Don't know if it would mean anything to Markov but it would probably be his last shot at a gold medal.

Old
07-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Ya I'm sure that's the reason lolol.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
Ya I'm sure that's the reason lolol.
Wait until the next cba comes out, then you can lol.

Old
07-13-2017, 10:46 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

I wish there was some news on what's going on in Marky's head. Maybe he wants to retire. Who knows?

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:56 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I wish there was some news on what's going on in Marky's head. Maybe he wants to retire. Who knows?
Wouldn't he be on his honeymoon for 2 weeks to a month?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:58 AM
DramaticGloveSave

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
That would explain a lot. Or maybe he's mulling over his future. He did just get married, is 38, and has had a great career and made lots of money.

It's silly, but I would love to see him get 1000 games as a Hab though.

DramaticGloveSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 11:58 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Wouldn't he be on his honeymoon for 2 weeks to a month?
That's my feeling as well. Given that he's representing himself now, can't imagine he had that much time leading up to his wedding and now during his honeymoon...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:03 PM
shutehinside

So what's going on with Markov. Seems he's not interested in coming back to the Habs to me. No one is going to sign him to 2 years so if that was the issue he'd have signed by now.

At what point do you move on and remove the offer from the table? This can't go on forever.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
So what's going on with Markov. Seems he's not interested in coming back to the Habs to me. No one is going to sign him to 2 years so if that was the issue he'd have signed by now.

At what point do you move on and remove the offer from the table? This can't go on forever.
Pretty sure MB said that both offers expired on July 1st. So unless Markov reaches out to him, it's pretty much dead in the water

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:23 PM
ColinO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Pretty sure MB said that both offers expired on July 1st. So unless Markov reaches out to him, it's pretty much dead in the water
I don't think that's what he said. I think he said that the offers that were still available were not going to change - or something like that.

My guess is that Markov eventually accepts the offer that was made. Guys like Markov don't retire as long as they still have game.

ColinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 01:17 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
He said they weren't going to change past July 1st and they were there on a first come, first serve basis. Question is will he go out and try to get another serve himself?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 12:43 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm extremely biased since Markov is one of my favorite players. I thought he was the team's best all around D-man last season.

I hope they bring him back. Dude is a stud.
Markov? He had front row seats in our team's decline since the 90's, and is STILL our best D at 38! LMAO! Those were some crazy ass times.

I hope we have enough "class" left to retire his jersey.

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Victorius

Maybe Markov is waiting for a Nashville-Colorado big trade involving Ekholm and Duchene ?

If so, Nashville would sign him and play him with PK !

Victorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 02:36 PM
Sorinth

Keep in mind Markov is his own agent, he doesn't have someone out there chasing offers. If he was focused on the Habs he may not have talked to too many other teams. If that's the case once he's decided MTL isn't going to happen then he might focus on other teams and get something done quickly.

If Nashville is serious about trading one of their top-4 for a center, Markov makes a pretty good stop-gap for them.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 02:37 PM
1stLineCenter

Give a defenseman we dont need a 5 year 24 million dollar deal but turn your back on the general.

1stLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Victorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLineCenter View Post
Give a defenseman we dont need a 5 year 24 million dollar deal but turn your back on the general.
One is 28, and the other one 38...

And yes, Alzner was needed after having traded Beaulieu and let go Emelin to the Draft.

Old
07-14-2017, 04:39 PM
1stLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorius View Post
One is 28, and the other one 38...

And yes, Alzner was needed after having traded Beaulieu and let go Emelin to the Draft.
Do you honestly feel that Karl Alzner is going to bring more to the habs than Mr Markov? Do you actually watch hockey?

1stLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 04:56 PM
scrubadam

Quote:
No one turned their back to Markov. MB made him an offer. Markov is just taking his sweet time to decide what he wants to do.

Guy has made 65 Million from the Habs. He is 10 games away from 1000. Whats holding him up from resigning here? Why is he so set on a 2nd year? Maybe he has no plans on playing that 2nd year but wants to get paid anyways? Doesn't hurt Markov but hurts the team.

I hate to blame Markov in this, but his demands will put a strain on the team from competing this year and next. Lets not forget Price goes up to 10.5 next year and all we have coming off the books is Pleks 6 Mill. 4 is already to Price so that leaves 2 Million. Add in 6 more for Makov next year and this year and there isn't much to sign other players. Same for this year. If Markov takes 4.5 there is still 4.5 left for MB to sign someone like Vrbata or Jagr.

Take one for the team Marky and make a bit less you already made a ton of money of the habs.

scrubadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 05:03 PM
s613s

Quote:
Do you honestly feel that Karl Alzner is going to bring more to the habs than Mr Markov? Do you actually watch hockey?
Offensively absolutely not but defensively yes possibly for a few years since Alzner is 10 years younger. If Markov was 30-35 then no at everything but he's close to 40 and has slowed down a bit in the last few years. And even if MB signed Markov first we'd still need a LHD.

And we still have the cap space to sign Markov. It's not over not yet

s613s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 05:04 PM
Victorius

Quote:
I am watching hockey since the mid-sixties. Gimme a break !

Not comparing Markov and Alzner's talent. Alzner was hired to replace Emelin or Beaulieu. It was an easier decision to sign that guy who is just 28 (and needed on the second pairing) than re-hiring a 38 old man who wants 12 million over two seasons.

And who's telling you that Markov really wants to re-sign with the Habs ? Maybe, he doesn't want at all ???

Old
07-14-2017, 05:06 PM
scrubadam

Quote:
Adam, I mean no offense but I have to ask, when was the last time you had a view that was not pro management on everything?
First off I hate that being pro management is some how seen as a negative. Last I checked the mangers are part of the team as well. So I am not pro management I am pro habs.

2nd off I am against the Price contract. Don't like it at all and think it was a bad move by MB.

and 3rd in regards to Markov like I said I don't want to blame him and understand his POV but as a fan I want him back and I want him to take one for the team to give it more flexibility going forward. Markov at 6 leaves nothing left to sign any other players this year. and then for a 2nd year at 6 leaves nothing left for next year either.

As a fan if you had a choice of watching Markov + Jagr next year, or just Markov because he took a bigger salary which do you chose?

scrubadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
First off I hate that being pro management is some how seen as a negative. Last I checked the mangers are part of the team as well. So I am not pro management I am pro habs.
No NO NO, seriously. You have defended our manager even while saying he isn't great. He is terrible. Prices terrible contract is the tip of the ice burg. You don't trade our future for Drouin unless you resign Markov and Radulov and try to even upgrade at center. Win now or don't kind of move.

I liked the move when it was announced with the caveat that the next two weeks we did some good moves. Instead we have a manager going in public like an ass and saying stuff that doesn't fly in private let alone in public. Horrible people skills all around.

Resigning Sylvain...really? That alone is enough to sink this ship going forward, not that it matters because he traded away our best asset for something we didn't need....unless you look at it cynically. Its a cover for the local media, getting one of their own. Makes me sick to think this is why it was done, but it has all the hallmarks of "darkest day in habs history!" newspaper headline. We HAD to add to what we had last year. Most of those moves are more D orientated when we needed a lot more O.

I am not looking forward to this season, even if he oversheets it will cost us our future, but at least its something. What happens if he picks up a few 3 million dollar bottom 6 guys before the season starts...uggh

YOU KNOW that if you thought we were hard on MB last season, we will be looking at every single mistake that Alzner and Schlemko make. Its inevitable. No we don't intend on doing it, but say Nate looks good on Buf, gets his confidence back(thanks MB for keeping on MT too long to ruin so many young players) and puts up 35 points and looks OK defensively. You KNOW we will be in here ripping on him. And if he crashes and burns it will be other doing the same to us. I swear MB is on this board and making moves to troll posters.

IMO Its really crazy some of the moves made. Nate, Markov, Radulov and SL pretty much destroy any positive moves he could have or will make. He is flying by the seat of his pants and its more obvious every time he makes a move. NO PLAN at all.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 06:10 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

Kind of odd when most fans agree that Bergevin should have been patient and waited for Robinson instead of signing JJ, but Markov takes an extended honeymoon and it's, "Can't wait forever!"

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote