HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: Paris and Los Angeles will host the Olympics in 2024 and 2028

Old
07-11-2017, 01:04 PM
PSGJ

vCash: 500
OT: Paris and Los Angeles will host the Olympics in 2024 and 2028

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/11/news...ics/index.html

Quote:
Paris and Los Angeles are probably getting the Summer Olympics for 2024 and 2028. It's just not clear which city will host in which year.

The International Olympic Committee voted unanimously Tuesday to break with tradition and award two games at once.
Quote:
If the two cities can't settle the question of who would get which games, the IOC would decide in September. In that case, the 2028 games could be open to additional bidders.
The two cities were the only ones left in the bidding for the 2024 Olympics so I guess IOC felt so grateful they had any bidders at all left they decided to give one of them 2028.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:20 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/11/news...ics/index.html

The two cities were the only ones left in the bidding for the 2024 Olympics so I guess IOC felt so grateful they had any bidders at all left they decided to give one of them 2028.
I guess they didn't want to be left in the position of only having one bidder for 2028.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
I guess they didn't want to be left in the position of only having one bidder for 2028.
Or maybe none.

Assuming they'll strike a deal and I think it wiok be Paris 2024 and LA 2028, how will this influence Calgary who could make a decision later this month weather to bid for 2026 winter.

If they have a strong bid, could the IOC do the same thing paring up 2026 and 2030.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:59 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

LA makes sense for 2028 since they'll use a lot of existing facilities and it can usher in a new age of games that are actually budget friendly and "sustainable."

Paris is using a lot of existing facilities as well, but from what I've read LA isn't really building much of anything for the games that they wouldn't do anyway.

07-11-2017, 02:10 PM
tony d
Ocean Spray

Congrats to both cities. The Olympics are a great spectacle for sure. Still they can cripple a city financially. Got to think the time will come that 8 cities will be chosen as Olympic host cities; 4 for the summer and 4 for the winter. That should help reduce the financial stress cities face after hosting the Olympics.

07-11-2017, 03:31 PM
cutchemist42

Personal interest, but with this announcement Im glad that baseball will now exist for 3 straight OGs, will be huge for the funding of the sport by countries that choose funding on Olympic status. (Which we do even in Canada)

I think both cities will host it well, just wonder what the future looks like after they host.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 03:43 PM
nickp91

love when the Olympics are in the USA! Athens was disastrous! Barcelona and LA 1984 were the most profitable

nickp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 03:46 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
LA makes sense for 2028 since they'll use a lot of existing facilities and it can usher in a new age of games that are actually budget friendly and "sustainable."

Paris is using a lot of existing facilities as well, but from what I've read LA isn't really building much of anything for the games that they wouldn't do anyway.
A big trend that I'm happy to see is countries now realising that investing huge money into the creation of new facilities whose purpose is just for the games is a bad idea. Rio and the stadiums that Brazil did for the world cup are an example of this. If hosting the games can assist or goes into am existing development plan with uses after the games that's fine but building buildings for just a one month event doesn't make much sense.

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 04:20 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 1100
These things need to be spread out across multiple major cities to ease the burden on both the local population and those trying to come in and watch the games as well. Instead of having it in LA, spread that thing out to Phoenix, San Diego, San Fran, Portland, Seattle...etc.

Instead of having it in Paris, spread it out to Berlin, Frankfurt, Rome, Budapest, etc.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 7395348
I am just happy my city ran away from the IOC

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
You Must Be Tired

vCash: 2525
Cool.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with it, but in all seriousness LA should be the de facto US host just because of the existing infrastructure.

And I won't lie, kid me would be giddy as all hell about being so close to the Olympics, so I'll definitely go to an event or two.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 05:00 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

I stopped caring as much as I used to when they shut out Chicago in favor of Rio.

BattleBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

vCash: 302
The fact Chicago went out before Tokyo which didn't even have a plan in place to present to IOC was a joke

As for LA. Wouldn't the problems with regard to travel/transportation present issues? I mean LA traffic is notorious for being some of the worst if not the worst in USA

Are there plans to extensively revamp/expand transportation in LA area?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 05:19 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
The fact Chicago went out before Tokyo which didn't even have a plan in place to present to IOC was a joke

As for LA. Wouldn't the problems with regard to travel/transportation present issues? I mean LA traffic is notorious for being some of the worst if not the worst in USA

Are there plans to extensively revamp/expand transportation in LA area?
They're always spending money on transportation over there. I know they voted in a sales tax to work on transportation 7-8 years ago and have started seeing some results from that in recent years.

Old
07-11-2017, 05:54 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Well it's not like they had a massive list of bidders. Kind of smart to lock everything up for the next decade. By the time the IOC has another bidding process, a new generation of fools will line up to get fleeced again.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 05:55 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Or maybe none.

Assuming they'll strike a deal and I think it wiok be Paris 2024 and LA 2028, how will this influence Calgary who could make a decision later this month weather to bid for 2026 winter.

If they have a strong bid, could the IOC do the same thing paring up 2026 and 2030.
Winter is different. Other than Sochi where they basically built a city in a place where it rarely snows, they run closer to break even. There are fewer events so you don't need to build that many venues, less athletes to build housing for, and a some of the facilities are there naturally. You don't build a mountain for skiing.

Vancouver broke even after covering the cost of new highways so that's a win. I think Calgary is trying to find a way to cover the cost of a new arena

Old
07-11-2017, 05:59 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Winter is different. Other than Sochi where they basically built a city in a place where it rarely snows, they run closer to break even. There are fewer events so you don't need to build that many venues, less athletes to build housing for, and a some of the facilities are there naturally. You don't build a mountain for skiing.

Vancouver broke even after covering the cost of new highways so that's a win. I think Calgary is trying to find a way to cover the cost of a new arena
Calgary is going for 2026, aren't they?

After Russia and a couple in Asia, it's likely the right time for a North American winter games. Is there an actual effort underway? I know they're still calling it a "potential bid."

Old
07-11-2017, 06:00 PM
CokenoPepsi

Vancouver should just host every other winter games... What a spectacle

CokenoPepsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Theokritos

Congratulations to Paris and LA. Or condolences. Not sure which are more fitting.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Congratulations to Paris and LA. Or condolences. Not sure which are more fitting.
"Condolences" Theo. Definitely condolences.... and good luck with security, especially Paris. Things already going from bad to
worse to downright scary awful as it is, no end in site, amping up in fact and in 8-10yrs, God only knows how bad it could get..

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 07:03 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Calgary is going for 2026, aren't they?

After Russia and a couple in Asia, it's likely the right time for a North American winter games. Is there an actual effort underway? I know they're still calling it a "potential bid."
Someone from the Calgary media was on Fan 590 a few weeks ago. Basically they were doing a lot of exploring and seeing how much support they could get from the province and federal government. It will probably be a last minute decision. Toronto went to the very end before deciding not to bid for 2024.

Old
07-11-2017, 07:35 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

The Olympics can still be an opportunity for cities. They just need to approach it with realistic concepts and a commercial vision. People talk about Rio and Athens..as if the Olympics were the only things that turned out disastrous in 2nd world nations notorious for poor organization. The London games have worked out mostly fine. People loved it at the time (I was there to see it) and a lot of the stuff built has found good use in the aftermath - precisely because the question of 'what to do when it's over' was a key element of the planning behind it.

The IOC is often ridiculous but the Olympics are a great event and still have a very powerful brand. If a city goes about it the right way, it can be a catalyst for development - but it can't create development out of thin air.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Legionofdoomline
Rookie User

Congrats LA .

Legionofdoomline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Big Z Man 1990

LA should get 2024 to mark the 40th anniversary of the 1984 Games in the same city and Paris 2028 to mark 15th anniversary of Pokemon XY which was set in a France-inspired region.

Big Z Man 1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Someone from the Calgary media was on Fan 590 a few weeks ago. Basically they were doing a lot of exploring and seeing how much support they could get from the province and federal government. It will probably be a last minute decision. Toronto went to the very end before deciding not to bid for 2024.
Calgary and other 2026 hopefulls will now have until Septembrr 2018 to decide.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3591239/ca...6-olympic-bid/

IOC approves a new timeline which the process will now be 1 year instead of 2 to reduce costs.

The exploration comittee will still give it's recommendation to council by July 24 but an actual decision will likely be punted to after this fall's election.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote