HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: Paris and Los Angeles will host the Olympics in 2024 and 2028

Old
07-11-2017, 11:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
The fact Chicago went out before Tokyo which didn't even have a plan in place to present to IOC was a joke

As for LA. Wouldn't the problems with regard to travel/transportation present issues? I mean LA traffic is notorious for being some of the worst if not the worst in USA

Are there plans to extensively revamp/expand transportation in LA area?
Nope. Not the worst. San Jose (San Francisco Bay Area) is the worst in the US and 4th worst in world (and now I cannot find the reference, sigh). (And home of the most mega commuters - those who travel 90+ minutes EACH WAY to/from work.) I drive for Lyft so know first hand. (Forbes ranks "SF" #3 and LA #1. BI ranks SJ #5 and SF #2; LA #1. CNN ranks LA #14 in world.)

Many existing structures can and will be utilized for the Summer Olympics in LA (and the Paralympics which follow soon after). Athlete housing may be the one thing that will need to be built. The next question is WRT opening/closing ceremonies where those will be held. Many of the track/field venues hold tens of thousands, but not really that big a footprint for the spectacle that the ceremonies have become.

And I do expect other cities in California, especially SoCal (Anaheim, San Diego, etc.), to be tapped for some venues. (Probably not NorCal as much.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:34 AM
pbgoalie

Quote:
The fact Chicago went out before Tokyo which didn't even have a plan in place to present to IOC was a joke

As for LA. Wouldn't the problems with regard to travel/transportation present issues? I mean LA traffic is notorious for being some of the worst if not the worst in USA

Yes, we have a plan. We will invite millions more people to move here, give them drivers licenses,
and hope for the best....that's our current plan

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:37 AM
pbgoalie

http://la84.org/our-story/

Pretty amazing legacy from the 1984 LA Olympics. Keep politicians out, let smart business people do things

Old
07-12-2017, 01:54 AM
Franck
eltiT resU motsuC

vCash: 50
Had a quick glance at the Paris bid, they will barely build a single new venue for the Olympics. They have everything they need in place already.

The only big construction they'll be doing will be the Olympic villages.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 03:29 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 7395348
Quote:

I was living in Chicago back in 2009 and a good friend was working for Chicago 2016. I told her it would be an ugly ending because the IOC and USOC were still fighting over revenue sharing and Rio would make NBC happy because of the time zone. 4 years earlier New York's bid had gone down in flames and Chicago just didn't understand IOC politics.

When the USOC selected Boston in January 2015 for the 2024 games they bought into what the Boston 2024 organizers were selling which included several venues on the Harvard campus which they felt would be a big selling point with the IOC. The problem is NOBODY ASKED HARVARD beforehand.

The Summer Games became a television darling starting with Mexico City in 1968 when satellites could beam live pictures worldwide but since then most of the cities that have hosted the games have had buyers remorse.

1972 Munich - The terrorist attack
1976 Montreal - A financial nightmare that altered a city, province and country.
1980 Moscow and 1984 LA were tainted by boycotts.
1988 Seoul - South Korea's coming out party.
1992 Barcelona - From all accounts a total win for the city and region.
1996 Atlanta - 21 years later there is very little remaining from those games.
2000 Sydney - A good legacy
2004 Athens - A complete disaster
2008 Beijing - Government leaders were happy
2012 London - They pulled it off
2016 Rio - Makes Athens look good

Winter Games have less buyers remorse.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 03:56 AM
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokenoPepsi View Post
Vancouver should just host every other winter games... What a spectacle
we were hoping Sochi wasn't ready to host it. (if the city is not ready to host the games, the previous city by default will host it again)

one can dream one can dream.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Gator Mike

How much would LA really have to build?

They've already got the Coliseum, the Rose Bowl, Home Depot Center, Staples Center, a new football stadium under construction, a smaller soccer stadium under construction, Pauley Pavillion, the Galen Center, the Honda Center, Dodger Stadium, etc.

And I'm sure there have got to be some facilities left over from 1984 that might still work with some renovations.

I don't see a whole lot of construction costs, relative to other hosts.

Gator Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:27 AM
LemmyUlanov55
4th line grinder

vCash: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post

They've already got the Coliseum, the Rose Bowl, Home Depot Center, Staples Center, a new football stadium under construction, a smaller soccer stadium under construction, Pauley Pavillion, the Galen Center, the Honda Center, Dodger Stadium, etc.

And I'm sure there have got to be some facilities left over from 1984 that might still work with some renovations.

Sounds like a good plan, unfortunately, it's the IOC that tells cities what to build new. Look at Tokio (2020), their argument was the same, the estimated costs were around 6.5 billion $. Lots of proper stadiums, rowing areas and so on, just some renovation and no need for a whole lot of new buildings. They signed the IOC contract and from then on, costs exploded. In summer 2016, (4!! years before Olympia), the costs were around 30 billion $. It's very likely they'll turn out to be more expensive than Sochi (50 billion $).

I like Olympia and the idea, but it has become a ridiculous corrupted festival for a bunch of old IOC officials (FIFA 2.0). A quote from their "Agenda 2020" to shed some extra light on the IOC which really left me shaking my head.. „Move from a sport-based to an event-based programme“ 'Nuff said.

I'm really glad the people here in south Bavaria fought successful against the idea of hosting winter games.

Last edited by LemmyUlanov55: 07-12-2017 at 07:33 AM.
LemmyUlanov55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:11 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmyUlanov55 View Post
Sounds like a good plan, unfortunately, it's the IOC that tells cities what to build new. Look at Tokio (2020), their argument was the same, the estimated costs were around 6.5 billion $. Lots of proper stadiums, rowing areas and so on, just some renovation and no need for a whole lot of new buildings. They signed the IOC contract and from then on, costs exploded. In summer 2016, (4!! years before Olympia), the costs were around 30 billion $. It's very likely they'll turn out to be more expensive than Sochi (50 billion $).

I like Olympia and the idea, but it has become a ridiculous corrupted festival for a bunch of old IOC officials (FIFA 2.0). A quote from their "Agenda 2020" to shed some extra light on the IOC which really left me shaking my head.. „Move from a sport-based to an event-based programme“ 'Nuff said.

I'm really glad the people here in south Bavaria fought successful against the idea of hosting winter games.
The IOC can TELL cities whatever they want. Just like I can tell my boss I am no longer coming to work, but I still expect to be paid. Doesn't mean it will happen. Hopefully, these politicians and Olympic committee's are starting to smarten up. Need to do one of 3 things moving forward.

1) Rather than award to a city, award to a country. So, instead of Prague hosting, the entire Czech Republic is hosting and spread the events out.

2) In the case of large countries (US, Canada, Russia), award to regions within the country. i.e. Northeast US and have the events spread between Boston to Washington. In Canada, do some kind of Quebec-Ontario split or put them in the Maritimes and so forth. Or in the US, the country as a whole and hold each event at the training centers (don't even remember where they are nowadays).

3) Have them in places that already have the facilities where all that is needed is some upgrades rather than completely building from scratch.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:21 AM
Morrison

I hope that LA take this because France has arranged enough with sporting events over the last 25 years...

Last edited by Morrison: 07-12-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 09:32 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post

And Angels stadium. Assuming UCLA, USC and other colleges have proper swimming pools that might be utilized. Given the history of the Tour of California, there are known routes for road racing.

Venues I'm not sure of:
  • Velodrome
  • White water sports
  • Equestrian (I'm assuming there are some, but perhaps not at the level needed. And where would you put the resident population while the games are ongoing?)

Old
07-12-2017, 10:24 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
And Angels stadium. Assuming UCLA, USC and other colleges have proper swimming pools that might be utilized. Given the history of the Tour of California, there are known routes for road racing.

Venues I'm not sure of:
  • Velodrome
  • White water sports
  • Equestrian (I'm assuming there are some, but perhaps not at the level needed. And where would you put the resident population while the games are ongoing?)
I can't imagine there is no equestrian venue in the LA area. Whether it can accommodate enough spectators is one thing, but they could build temporary bleachers, if necessary.

Residents would not need to be displaced. Worst case, you do away with the athlete dorms and put them in hotels or use dorms at the colleges. If it is done in July and August, there should be enough empty dorms between USC, UCLA and all the other schools in the area. And obviously, could build athlete dorms that would then be sold as condos/rented.

Old
07-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Brodie
voted best

LA 2024, 40th anniversary of the most successful Games ever in the same spot.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:06 PM
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast

Congrats to LA, because they already have most of the infrastructure and facilities needed, and won't be wasting tax dollars on that.

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Chrispy
Go Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I can't imagine there is no equestrian venue in the LA area. Whether it can accommodate enough spectators is one thing, but they could build temporary bleachers, if necessary.

Residents would not need to be displaced. Worst case, you do away with the athlete dorms and put them in hotels or use dorms at the colleges. If it is done in July and August, there should be enough empty dorms between USC, UCLA and all the other schools in the area. And obviously, could build athlete dorms that would then be sold as condos/rented.
Or do what Atlanta did: the athletic village went to Georgia State to use as their first formal student housing.

I think that's the most likely: new Olympic village that can be used by a public school as new dorms after the Olympics. Lots of options in LA depending on where they put the village.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:31 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:

Venues I'm not sure of:
  • Velodrome
  • White water sports
In 1984 they held most of the equestrian events at the Santa Anita Racetrack. I'm sure something like that would work again.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:40 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
In 1984 they held most of the equestrian events at the Santa Anita Racetrack. I'm sure something like that would work again.
Golden Gate Fields and Delmar MIGHT ALSO BE UNDER Consideration if not Los Alamitos.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 05:07 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:

Residents = horses

Most existing equestrian venues house horses in permanent stalls. Not that large a transient equine population for events. Now Olympics there will be many hundreds of additional horses.

Quote:
Good for all but cross country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Golden Gate Fields and Delmar MIGHT ALSO BE UNDER Consideration if not Los Alamitos.
GGF is 6-8 hours by truck. Los Alamitos 6+ hours I believe and very hot in summer.

Old
07-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
The IOC can TELL cities whatever they want. Just like I can tell my boss I am no longer coming to work, but I still expect to be paid. Doesn't mean it will happen. Hopefully, these politicians and Olympic committee's are starting to smarten up. Need to do one of 3 things moving forward.

1) Rather than award to a city, award to a country. So, instead of Prague hosting, the entire Czech Republic is hosting and spread the events out.

2) In the case of large countries (US, Canada, Russia), award to regions within the country. i.e. Northeast US and have the events spread between Boston to Washington. In Canada, do some kind of Quebec-Ontario split or put them in the Maritimes and so forth. Or in the US, the country as a whole and hold each event at the training centers (don't even remember where they are nowadays).

3) Have them in places that already have the facilities where all that is needed is some upgrades rather than completely building from scratch.
1 and 2 would never work. The savings from facilities would be eaten up by the additional shipping costs for all the condoms.

In all seriousness, the fact the only cities that bid are ones that would not build new venues is encouraging.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
The cross country was done in San Diego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairba...h_Country_Club

Old
07-12-2017, 08:25 PM
pbgoalie

USC is contributing to a big makeover of the Coliseum, but I was under the impression that track and field could no longer be held there?

Old
07-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgoalie View Post
USC is contributing to a big makeover of the Coliseum, but I was under the impression that track and field could no longer be held there?
Maybe not now but it will in 2024 or 28

Old
07-12-2017, 10:29 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

1984 was perhaps the best time ever to be in Los Angeles. Region officials advised locals to get out of town during the games; the traffic was GREAT!

Me and my father got worked up about "Black Friday" (when swimming and boxing at Expo Park would still be going and Track & Field started)... clear freaking sailing. We wasted two hours lurking around after reaching the park and three more hours sitting in the Coliseum while the 50km race walk and nothing else was going on... primarily outside. So when I snagged a T&F ticket in Atlanta that unfortunately included same walk, I arrived two hours late with a smile.

LA now has better transit options

Atlanta... um, bit of a cluster, even if they meant well.

Salt Lake was great because- I suspect- half the potential fans were scared off by 9/11. My only regret about Vancouver was not splurging on a room closer to town.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Brodie
voted best

It has been consistently demonstrated that people leave town for the Olympics. It's actually one of the reasons that cities are reluctant to host the Olympics: residents leave town fearing massive crowds and the projected tourist numbers never show up completely because people are also afraid of massive crowds. Local businesses tend to do very poorly from the event.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 06:48 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Residents = horses

Most existing equestrian venues house horses in permanent stalls. Not that large a transient equine population for events. Now Olympics there will be many hundreds of additional horses.
Oh ok. Yeah, I could not care less about the horse that are barned there full-time. They could be relocated temporarily to a different barn. Call it a horsie vacation.