HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vanek Wants To Come Back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2017, 04:06 PM
  #26
Bench
Orange Safety Mesh
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Rafters
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbadenough View Post
Put him next to a real 1st or second line center with vision and hands and he is still a 70+ pt guy.
Over 70 points? He's only done that twice in his career: 2011 and 2007. He'll turn 34 this year, I don't think he's reverting back to 10 years ago. And it's why his trade value wasn't as much as we hoped at the deadline. And why he wasn't signed on July 1st like all the other desirable free agents.

And I love that HSJ uses "kicked tires" in the article. Who else uses that phrase all the time, hmmm.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:09 PM
  #27
Hammettf2b
Wings
 
Hammettf2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So California
Country: United States
Posts: 14,807
vCash: 50
Let the damn kids play. Big no from me.

__________________
http://i.imgur.com/0EeIQGb.png
Hammettf2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:13 PM
  #28
Pavels Dog
Registered User
 
Pavels Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammettf2b View Post
Let the damn kids play. Big no from me.
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Helm-Vanek
Bert-Glendening-Abby
Witkowski, Sheahan

Svech as the first call-up. Seems fine to me.

Pavels Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:17 PM
  #29
Heaton
Moderator
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 21,547
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Helm-Vanek
Bert-Glendening-Abby
Witkowski, Sheahan

Svech as the first call-up. Seems fine to me.
Not sure how Bertuzzi makes the team out of camp with this cap situation and I highly doubt Sheahan is a healthy scratch considering he didn't score a goal until game 82 last year and was never close to being sat.

Seems like Bert and Svech will be in GR for a while to start the season and might get a few call ups.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:24 PM
  #30
Frk It
Crap Space
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Helm-Vanek
Bert-Glendening-Abby
Witkowski, Sheahan

Svech as the first call-up. Seems fine to me.
Signing Vanek would mean Bertuzzi starts in GR. Sheahan wouldn't get benched over Bertuzzi. And Bertuzzi wouldn't be on the team if he was going to be a press box guy.

But I wouldn't hate Vanek on a cheap deal and Bert starting in GR. I've always liked Vanek. Bertuzzi is a notoriously slow starter. Just not sure this type of move really makes sense with where this team finds itself. And Vanek was barely moveable for an asset last year at the TDL, and given how poorly he did for Florida, not sure we could expect to move him at the deadline again.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:35 PM
  #31
Hammettf2b
Wings
 
Hammettf2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So California
Country: United States
Posts: 14,807
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Helm-Vanek
Bert-Glendening-Abby
Witkowski, Sheahan

Svech as the first call-up. Seems fine to me.
Much rather have Sheahan playing to possibly spike his trade value, or become a decent player for us than give Vanek a 1 deal which will result in absolute nothing.

Hammettf2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 05:02 PM
  #32
borisbadenough
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Over 70 points? He's only done that twice in his career: 2011 and 2007. He'll turn 34 this year, I don't think he's reverting back to 10 years ago. And it's why his trade value wasn't as much as we hoped at the deadline. And why he wasn't signed on July 1st like all the other desirable free agents.

And I love that HSJ uses "kicked tires" in the article. Who else uses that phrase all the time, hmmm.
For the sake of discussion. He puts up 48 playing with what would be a third line center , on any contending team. Excluding Taveres on the Island, where they were the hottest line in the NHL fyi, and Drury / Briere for short stints early in his career, when has the guy ever been matched with a 1st line offensive center with his skill sets? Not in Buffalo, Minn, they did not have one (they had one great defensive center), not Montreal for sure, not Florida , not here. I would have had him playing with Z last year. IMO he made Helmn, Gus and AA better.What is market for a 50 pt winger? If it were me I wait , sign for 3-4 with a contender or take a one year 2.5 deal with incentives to play with a center with my skill sets . Those numbers then set the table for the following years. I think if he played with Z for 80+ games he would have easily put up 70. IMO he is still a top 6 guy at 34. He does not fit here with the ten year rebuild coming and all the salary anchors in the cap


Last edited by borisbadenough: 07-12-2017 at 05:13 PM.
borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 05:10 PM
  #33
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampere, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 13,785
vCash: 500
I'd rather go after Jagr. Could get something better at deadline.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 05:18 PM
  #34
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Helm-Vanek
Bert-Glendening-Abby
Witkowski, Sheahan

Svech as the first call-up. Seems fine to me.
Seems terrible.
Larkin needs to play center and only center... as evidenced by his World Cup performance.
Bert needs to play atleast 3rd line if he sticks.
Give Sheahan a chance to start the season, before we assume he will be terrible again.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 06:38 PM
  #35
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,472
vCash: 500
when good teams say "oh gross, no thanks" what should that tell you

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 06:46 PM
  #36
Ezekial
Aboard the AAmtrak
 
Ezekial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Not sure how Bertuzzi makes the team out of camp with this cap situation and I highly doubt Sheahan is a healthy scratch considering he didn't score a goal until game 82 last year and was never close to being sat.

Seems like Bert and Svech will be in GR for a while to start the season and might get a few call ups.
Sorry to be nitpicky, but Sheahan was scratched at one point last season(Dallas), other than that I agree. No way is he slotted in as a healthy scratch on October 5th.

I'm also not in on Vanek, even a 1 year deal.(assuming no trades)

Ezekial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:25 PM
  #37
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 16,981
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Not sure how Bertuzzi makes the team out of camp with this cap situation and I highly doubt Sheahan is a healthy scratch considering he didn't score a goal until game 82 last year and was never close to being sat.

Seems like Bert and Svech will be in GR for a while to start the season and might get a few call ups.
In the article posted, St. James floats the idea that Tatar will still be recovering from shoulder surgery and won't be able to start the year. So, there's a spot. Then they have to constantly shuffle the deck chairs hoping the right guys get hurt at the right times to allow them to actually be cap compliant and ice their best team.

Yeah, that'll work out well.

__________________
Assistant GM of the Wings
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:59 PM
  #38
Frk It
Crap Space
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
In the article posted, St. James floats the idea that Tatar will still be recovering from shoulder surgery and won't be able to start the year. So, there's a spot. Then they have to constantly shuffle the deck chairs hoping the right guys get hurt at the right times to allow them to actually be cap compliant and ice their best team.

Yeah, that'll work out well.
That's weird... considering Tatar posted a video earlier today of him shooting some pucks, and he was letting em go pretty good.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:25 PM
  #39
Oddbob
Registered User
 
Oddbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Country: Canada
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Winger 87 View Post
What does everyone think?



Link

He signed last year for 2.6M, I think he would come cheaper this year, signing a similar contract to Hartnell, Sharp, Cammalleri. He did have some good chemistry and on another 1-year deal, I wouldn't be opposed.
No offense, but why would he come back cheaper. Last year, he signed a cheap 1 yr, show me type deal, he isn't likely to do that again. Obviously if he signed for even 3 per, that would be pretty good, considering how well he seemed to fit in here, but I doubt he is interested in another lower salary contract.

Oddbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:28 PM
  #40
Oddbob
Registered User
 
Oddbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Country: Canada
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
Sorry to be nitpicky, but Sheahan was scratched at one point last season(Dallas), other than that I agree. No way is he slotted in as a healthy scratch on October 5th.

I'm also not in on Vanek, even a 1 year deal.(assuming no trades)
Sheahan only got scratched once, late in the season, when he scored no goals until the last game. He should have been a regular healthy scratch, in the 20-40 games scratched amount. Blashill loves the guy obviously, so he will be in, no matter how much of a non factor he is.

I think it will be part of Blashill's unseating as coach, his insistence on certain players being in the lineup, when others should be in.

Oddbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:34 PM
  #41
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampere, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 13,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbob View Post
No offense, but why would he come back cheaper. Last year, he signed a cheap 1 yr, show me type deal, he isn't likely to do that again. Obviously if he signed for even 3 per, that would be pretty good, considering how well he seemed to fit in here, but I doubt he is interested in another lower salary contract.
Hmm,... if guy is still unsigned, he pretty much can't have any persuading power at the moment.

Vanek still earns 2.5M per year from that Minnesota buyout, so even though he would sign only for 1M with Red Wings, he would get 3.5M total earnings of this season.

At last season he earned 2.5M from Wild buyout + 2.6M from Detroit (partially from Florida) = total 5.1M.

Kenny has been after these bought out players all the time. Signed Brad Richards, signed Vanek, was rumored to be after Girardi. It's kind of a reduced caphit with them when the money comes from two sources.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 11:05 PM
  #42
Oddbob
Registered User
 
Oddbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Country: Canada
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Hmm,... if guy is still unsigned, he pretty much can't have any persuading power at the moment.

Vanek still earns 2.5M per year from that Minnesota buyout, so even though he would sign only for 1M with Red Wings, he would get 3.5M total earnings of this season.

At last season he earned 2.5M from Wild buyout + 2.6M from Detroit (partially from Florida) = total 5.1M.

Kenny has been after these bought out players all the time. Signed Brad Richards, signed Vanek, was rumored to be after Girardi. It's kind of a reduced caphit with them when the money comes from two sources.
I see your point, I do, but most players like a lot of every other person, tend to be quite greedy. Look at Hossa, made millions, now he is "allergic" to hockey equipment, when the money is a peasely 1 mill.

Oddbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 11:13 PM
  #43
BinCookin
Registered User
 
BinCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbob View Post
I see your point, I do, but most players like a lot of every other person, tend to be quite greedy. Look at Hossa, made millions, now he is "allergic" to hockey equipment, when the money is a peasely 1 mill.
Jagr, Iginla, Vanek all unsigned. I mean if they do not get signed at all, its forced retirement....

I am sure they would all love multi-year multi-million deals....

but if no one wants them, then no one wants them...
I would totally sign Vanek with a contending team, but not on our team. We should play a useless kid instead.

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:28 AM
  #44
PelagicJoe
Registered User
 
PelagicJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 1417
For it if he's cheap

PelagicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 06:41 AM
  #45
Leronziia
kenorH
 
Leronziia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Country: Australia
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Nah, waste of space-time.

Leronziia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 08:27 AM
  #46
Nat006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Trade Tatar for picks and sign him to a cheap 1 year deal.

Nat006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:17 AM
  #47
WolvesAndWings
Registered User
 
WolvesAndWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Country: Canada
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
I like Vanek, but he just isnt a fit here right now unfortunately with both our cap situation as well as our. (Lack of a) competitive situation

WolvesAndWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:23 AM
  #48
Marky9er
Registered User
 
Marky9er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Dominica
Posts: 6,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolvesAndWings View Post
I like Vanek, but he just isnt a fit here right now unfortunately with both our cap situation as well as our. (Lack of a) competitive situation
Sign and trade Tatar. Then he's a fit, then trade him again.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 08:47 PM
  #49
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!
 
DatsyukToZetterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Island of Tortuga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
seems pretty pointless after the disappointing return he got at the trade deadline last year

can't imagine him getting any better of a return this time around and he would just make the draft position worse
I wouldn't say a 3rd is pointless. We essentially traded 2.6M for a 3rd round pick and when you're a team that is as wealthy as the Wings and will spend to the cap that's a worthwhile move imo.

I liked Vanek in his time here and I think he'd fit in nicely on the 3rd line and work well in a net front role on the PP. If he's willing to sign for a similar amount as last time and the Wings can get the cap to work I'd like to have him back.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:33 PM
  #50
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
Rather see the Wings 1-2 points worse in the standings than another 3rd round pick.

Only thing the Wings should be playing for is the best odds to draft first overall.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.