HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part II

Old
07-13-2017, 05:40 PM
chet1926

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't know if 'trying to tank' is the phrase I'd use...maybe more 'a very possible eventuality'.

The Avs have done some nice things this off-season with the changes to the coaching staff, the beauchemin buyout and all of the bad players they let walk out of here...it should be a nice 'addition by substraction' type of situation. Hopefully Bennett can improve the Power Play.

But unless some pretty miraculous stuff happens, this likely won't be enough to transform this team from dead last to a playoff team. As we've seen this year, finishing in the bottom 3 doesn't guarantee anything and while the top-2 guys look like they could be 'franchise changers', the 2018 draft is going to be so strong that team with multiple picks will make out like bandits.

I think it could very well be the best draft since 2003. Imagine going into THAT draft with a Top-10 pick + 2 other first round picks???

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html
Yeah It sure as hell would have been nice to have had that, but on the flip side it's not like very single 1st round pick made it huge. Three picks could have turned into Zherdev, Jessiman and Anthony Stewart, drafted at #4, #12 and #25 respectively.

It's funny looking back at that draft the only teams that really missed were the usual suspects like NYI, Edmonton, Florida, Columbus, St Louis and NYR. With the exceptions of NYR and St Louis all the teams that were really weak in the mid 2000s.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 05:43 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalens Oga View Post
Yeaahhhh no it's July, there will be no 'next 12+' come next June when some of these players start to really rise or fall. There's gonna be a difference between #4 and #10 by that point and all I know is that I would rather finish last even if it means dropping down to 4th after the lottery and picking fourth rather than picking 10th.
Just look a couple posts up...

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 08:56 PM
RumpleSnipeSkin
Bar Down

vCash: 50
Sorry if this is a half OT topic, but since Dahlin has been coming up over the past few pages - what is it about him that makes people think he is generational? His highlight videos make me wonder how well his game will translate to North America (smaller rink, more physical play). That said, no doubt he has skills.

RumpleSnipeSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 08:56 PM
AvsJost98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Hmmm, if it is to be believed that the Flames are interested in Duchene, wonder if them re-signing Ferland will have them negotiating with a bit more purpose.
What can possibly the Flames offer us? They needs their defense just as bad as we do and they won't give us Johny Hockey.

AvsJost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 08:58 PM
RumpleSnipeSkin
Bar Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsJost98 View Post
What can possibly the Flames offer us? They needs their defense just as bad as we do and they won't give us Johny Hockey.
They don't have to give him to us... just trade him

RumpleSnipeSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:00 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Quote:
What the **** to the bold?

Brodie - Giordano
Hamilton - Hamonic

That's as good of a top 4 in the league, they absolutely have strength on the backend. I would say their biggest weakness is down the middle where it's quite average (Backlund is quite underrated though).

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:15 PM
AvsJost98

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
What the **** to the bold?

Brodie - Giordano
Hamilton - Hamonic

That's as good of a top 4 in the league, they absolutely have strength on the backend. I would say their biggest weakness is down the middle where it's quite average (Backlund is quite underrated though).
What I meant to say is that Flames still need to add to their D core for future and they don't have any available young top 4 D prospects in their pipeline to trade to us. Hamonic is a question mark at this point after recently been injury prone and coming off to the worst year of his career.

AvsJost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:48 PM
agentblack

Quote:
What I meant to say is that Flames still need to add to their D core for future and they don't have any available young top 4 D prospects in their pipeline to trade to us. Hamonic is a question mark at this point after recently been injury prone and coming off to the worst year of his career.
I doubt you trade a first rd pick for a maybe, CGY im sure is confident in him being one of their top 4 going forward

agentblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:25 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumpleSnipeSkin View Post
Sorry if this is a half OT topic, but since Dahlin has been coming up over the past few pages - what is it about him that makes people think he is generational? His highlight videos make me wonder how well his game will translate to North America (smaller rink, more physical play). That said, no doubt he has skills.
Production in men's league at 16. That's usually what people look for in generational type prospects. Either record setting production vs peers or success vs older competition. He'll have to keep playing well of course.

If Calgary is set then they don't need Valimaki. But if you want an established D then I dunno.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Flow

Play the market.

Duchene to Flames for Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki. (Not srs)

Get a good development system. (Lol)

Keep best developed dmen, auction the rest.

Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:55 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

I would love to get Valimaki.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 12:05 AM
Steve Varlamov

All this talk of Sam Bennett has me salivating. I absolutely adore the way he plays the game - hardnosed, smart, physical, and with a good deal of skill to go along with it. If he could put it all together on the Avs, he would be an awesome 2C behind Mack moving forward. Similar to PLD in that regard.

As for what a package from CGY would look like... Maybe Bennett+Valimaki? Or Bennett+Parsons? Either one would give us a roster forward and would give us an instant boost to the weakest current areas of our prospect pool (LHD & in net). Since they don't have their 2018 1st, maybe add a B prospect on top of one of those packages? Just spitballing here, but maybe Poirier?

Steve Varlamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:22 AM
Sea Eagles

The only player I'd like out of Calgary is Douggie Hamilton. Young enough to fit into our longer term plans. Then trade Barrie for a forward.

Sea Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:46 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'd personally prefer Bennett and Valimaki.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Yeah if the Flames are after Duchene one would have to believe Bennett to be a part of that deal.

If they get Duchene, Monahan-Duchene-Backlund down the middle would leave Bennett on the outside looking in as a winger which wouldn't be the a great spot for him.

I'd be very surprised to see them move Valimaki so quickly as well. When was the last time a just drafted 1st round pick was traded within 2 months of being drafted?

Bennett + Kylington + is probably what they're looking to offer us.

I'd love to try and snag Jankowski from them though. I remember that pick being the laughing point of the draft back in 2012, but it was always gonna be a long term pick and Jankowski is really starting to look like a quality prospect now with future 2C upside written all over him.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
I'd personally prefer Bennett and Valimaki.
Sam Bennett? Ok, he got drafted 4th overall, but what else are you seeing that I'm not? Where would he fit on our team? You playing him above Jost, Compher and Soderberg?

Valimaki is great, but don't we already have Bigras? Makar? Morrison?

Old
07-14-2017, 09:23 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Eagles View Post
Sam Bennett? Ok, he got drafted 4th overall, but what else are you seeing that I'm not? Where would he fit on our team? You playing him above Jost, Compher and Soderberg?

Yes, Bennett would easily go above all 3 Centers.

Also, Morrison? He's a forward....

On another note, just read a Flames Moderator talking about how he thinks Duchene has a major attitude problem. How can one be so ill informed about a player? Mind boggling.

Old
07-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post

On another note, just read a Flames Moderator talking about how he thinks Duchene has a major attitude problem. How can one be so ill informed about a player? Mind boggling.
My bad, I meant Timmins right there. LOL.

My point though, is what do we get out of the trade there? Bennett most certainly isn't as good as Duchene (by a long way), and we then trade for a future, that we already have quite a few of potentially already in our system?

If Barrie remains on our team, I really think a defensive trade needs to revolve around a defensemen that is defense first and foremost, production whilst important, should be ancillery imo.

Old
07-14-2017, 09:34 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:

My point though, is what do we get out of the trade there? Bennett most certainly isn't as good as Duchene (by a long way), and we then trade for a future, that we already have quite a few of potentially already in our system?

If Barrie remains on our team, I really think a defensive trade needs to revolve around a defensemen that is defense first and foremost, production whilst important, should be ancillery imo.
I like how you say this, and then demand Hamilton in a trade.

That's like saying "We need to get bigger and stronger! Oh, we should target Gaudreau!"

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:

Duchene is better, but he's also older, closer to UFA, and showing signs of declining.

Bennett is still very young and has lots of potential. The hope is he can come in, get Top 6 minutes and develop into a quality Top 6 forward similar to what Duchene was.

As for Valimaki, we Avs fans of all people should understand the important of having Defensive depth. It's not a bad thing to have more than one good Defensive prospect. They're by no means guarantees to be NHL quality players so having more of them will increase our chances of getting a quality Top 4 Dman out of them. Between Timmins, Makar, Bigras, Meloche, and Valimaki we'd have an extremely high chance of finding 1-2 good legit Top 4D in the future from that group.

Zadorov would work well on a pairing with Barrie IMO. His Defensive game took strides forward last year and he's got the physical prescence to help Barrie out on that pair. He's also an excellent skater with a great 1st pass as well so he would add to the mobility on the back end of that pairing.

Not that it matters a lot. Barrie is on his way out soon I think. He's gone by this time next year I believe.

Old
07-14-2017, 09:39 AM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
I like how you say this, and then demand Hamilton in a trade.

That's like saying "We need to get bigger and stronger! Oh, we should target Gaudreau!"
Be fair SoundwaveIsCharisma mate - read that WHOLE post, not the selective bit you cherry picked. I'm swapping Hamilton out with Barrie. We'd still need to secure that defensive D-man.

Short term though, you DO get bigger, but you'd need a player to replace Duchene up front, with a Barrie trade.

Old
07-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
Duchene is better, but he's also older, closer to UFA, and showing signs of declining.

Bennett is still very young and has lots of potential. The hope is he can come in, get Top 6 minutes and develop into a quality Top 6 forward similar to what Duchene was.

As for Valimaki, we Avs fans of all people should understand the important of having Defensive depth. It's not a bad thing to have more than one good Defensive prospect. They're by no means guarantees to be NHL quality players so having more of them will increase our chances of getting a quality Top 4 Dman out of them. Between Timmins, Makar, Bigras, Meloche, and Valimaki we'd have an extremely high chance of finding 1-2 good legit Top 4D in the future from that group.

Zadorov would work well on a pairing with Barrie IMO. His Defensive game took strides forward last year and he's got the physical prescence to help Barrie out on that pair. He's also an excellent skater with a great 1st pass as well so he would add to the mobility on the back end of that pairing.

Not that it matters a lot. Barrie is on his way out soon I think. He's gone by this time next year I believe.
That core group of defensive prospects is most certainly salivating.

I also agree about Barrie. Someone mentioned Makar might do a Jost trick for us this season, so if that is projected by the club to happen, I'd say Barrie will be going to a strong team as an add around the TDL.

Old
07-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Steve Varlamov

Quote:

Sam Bennett might not have the scoring numbers expected of him yet, but he's only 21. I consider him to be more defensively responsible than Duchene (and having the potential to be a defensively great player - think Kesler level). He plays the game with an amount of grit and physicality that nobody on our current team plays with, and he's got a nose for the net. He would more than likely take the spot screening the goalie on our PP. I think Bennett would slot in behind Mack at 2C. Jost would then get some serious development time in the 3C or 4C spot.

Valimaki would immediately become the best LHD prospect in the pipeline. There are some knowledgeable posters on this board that believe he can be the best dman from this past draft.

Steve Varlamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 10:44 AM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Varlamov View Post
Sam Bennett might not have the scoring numbers expected of him yet, but he's only 21. I consider him to be more defensively responsible than Duchene (and having the potential to be a defensively great player - think Kesler level). He plays the game with an amount of grit and physicality that nobody on our current team plays with, and he's got a nose for the net. He would more than likely take the spot screening the goalie on our PP. I think Bennett would slot in behind Mack at 2C. Jost would then get some serious development time in the 3C or 4C spot.

Valimaki would immediately become the best LHD prospect in the pipeline. There are some knowledgeable posters on this board that believe he can be the best dman from this past draft.
I think Bennett's body will break down. Too small to play that way in the NHL.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:00 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:

There have been hundreds of posts. Many by Avs fans about Duchene gave up on the season and he's really a much better player.

That does sound like an attitude problem.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote