HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets Re-sign Andrew Copp (2yrs $1M AAV?)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2017, 08:04 PM
  #26
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,481
vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I think so too. If he breaks out there is a chance the Jets may have to move him even with the talent we have but if that's the case so be it. The return would be good if he does.
He is still a RFA after the deal and according to Cap Friendly he doesn't have arb rights. His next contract is almost guaranteed to be another good value contract as well.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:05 PM
  #27
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
He is still a RFA after the deal and according to Cap Friendly he doesn't have arb rights. His next contract is almost guaranteed to be another good value contract as well.
That's possible probably a short term contract again. I don't know the specifics of it but we'll cross that bridge when and if it happens. We could move him during that contract and maximize value too.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:05 PM
  #28
WPGChief
Registered User
 
WPGChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
He is still a RFA after the deal and according to Cap Friendly he doesn't have arb rights. His next contract is almost guaranteed to be another good value contract as well.
After one more year pro (in NHL or AHL) he will have arbitration rights. Which will be after next season, essentially.

WPGChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:08 PM
  #29
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,481
vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGChief View Post
After one more year pro (in NHL or AHL) he will have arbitration rights. Which will be after next season, essentially.
So why wouldn't they just list the arb rights now since contracts are guaranteed?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:10 PM
  #30
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
So why wouldn't they just list the arb rights now since contracts are guaranteed?
Yeah that seems odd. If that's the case if he breaks out we likely would have to move him if all else goes according to plan. Which it never does.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:16 PM
  #31
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,481
vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Yeah that seems odd. If that's the case if he breaks out we likely would have to move him if all else goes according to plan. Which it never does.
I think there is only so far he can break out. And more and more it looks like the middle class is getting weeded out in the NHL. The young stars are taking a bigger and bigger cut. Established stars pushing UFA status get their retail contracts. Bottom 6 and bottom pairing guys under team control have little choice but sign the good value contracts.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:20 PM
  #32
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!
 
mazmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,347
vCash: 500
A classic late bloomer who I feel still has some upside offensively. I can see his usurping Lowry as full-time 3rd line C. Maybe with Connor and Armia?

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:21 PM
  #33
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I think there is only so far he can break out. And more and more it looks like the middle class is getting weeded out in the NHL. The young stars are taking a bigger and bigger cut. Established stars pushing UFA status get their retail contracts. Bottom 6 and bottom pairing guys under team control have little choice but sign the good value contracts.
He's not going to break 70 points or anything but he could break out to a 40~ point player. Hard to say what he'll want for a payday but I'd have to imagine that it wouldn't be something the Jets could afford if other guys can hit their potentials or close to it. Then again he may sign for a value contract in the Perreault range and be a solid middle 6 guy if it happens. Team success will also be a factor

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:22 PM
  #34
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,813
vCash: 500
Hmm, so if we factor in the 10% WPG tax Copp is $200k overpaid. Terrible job Chevy

All kidding aside it's a solid deal your a useful depth piece with some room to grow.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:23 PM
  #35
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
CorgisPer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,986
vCash: 279
Decent value for a depth forward. Still see him as a shorter Lowry, though.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:31 PM
  #36
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,481
vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
He's not going to break 70 points or anything but he could break out to a 40~ point player. Hard to say what he'll want for a payday but I'd have to imagine that it wouldn't be something the Jets could afford if other guys can hit their potentials or close to it. Then again he may sign for a value contract in the Perreault range and be a solid middle 6 guy if it happens. Team success will also be a factor
You seem pretty high on Copp. Not sure if he gets there but I'm glad we have him around for awhile.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:33 PM
  #37
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,117
vCash: 500
I'm not sure why people view this as a value signing... What kind of money do you think a 4th liner RFA should get?

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:37 PM
  #38
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
You seem pretty high on Copp. Not sure if he gets there but I'm glad we have him around for awhile.
I don't think it's a for sure thing. A long shot by all means. He's more likely to stay a 15-20 point bottom 6 guy who can play up. But if he does break out and he has the potential too it will be fun to watch.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 09:01 PM
  #39
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,481
vCash: 1270
With the Copp signing the Jets now have 11 forwards under contract that would require waivers along with Laine and Ehlers who are guaranteed to be on the roster. So if Connor makes the lineup what happens to Petan who is still waiver except? Maybe they keep both and waive one of Tanav or Sgarbossa?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 09:03 PM
  #40
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
With the Copp signing the Jets now have 11 forwards under contract that would require waivers along with Laine and Ehlers who are guaranteed to be on the roster. So if Connor makes the lineup what happens to Petan who is still waiver except? Maybe they keep both and waive one of Tanav or Sgarbossa?

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 09:05 PM
  #41
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,196
vCash: 500
Does this include his Trouba-sitting pay, or is that covered under a separate fee-for-service agreement?

nobody important is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 09:45 PM
  #42
Channelcat
Registered User
 
Channelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,923
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
I'm not sure why people view this as a value signing... What kind of money do you think a 4th liner RFA should get?
Depends on many things included where he was drafted. Yakupov was making 2.5M. I think this is very good value.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:07 PM
  #43
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 300
The NHL minimum salary is $650k this year and $700k the next. He is basically being paid like a 4th liner.

If he clears waivers his entire salary could be buried with zero cap hit.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:15 PM
  #44
jetsforever
Registered User
 
jetsforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,627
vCash: 500
Sounds good, I think I like Copp more than Lowry - good to have him around as depth


Quote:
Originally Posted by KillEmAll83 View Post
Love it.

Also looking at WPGChief's image - holy **** I had no idea Ryan Ellis signed for so little. What an amazing contract.
Yeah really . Josi, Ekholm and Ellis are all 4M or less.

jetsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:58 PM
  #45
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,190
vCash: 500
I am happy he is signed.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 11:48 PM
  #46
Jets
All hat, no cattle.
 
Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post



Yeah really . Josi, Ekholm and Ellis are all 4M or less.
And Subba- oh nevermind.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:16 AM
  #47
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype
 
Puckatron 3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Offensive Zone
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,545
vCash: 50
Copper has played great in the role he's been given. Very happy to see this!

Puckatron 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 05:25 AM
  #48
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 27,114
vCash: 500
Good deal.

I think Copp could become an important bottom-6 player for the Jets.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 06:51 AM
  #49
Eyeseeing
Registered User
 
Eyeseeing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
Decent value for a depth forward. Still see him as a shorter Lowry, though.
Copp has a much higher offensive ceiling than Lowry.
A good piece to have right now.
Like this.

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:13 AM
  #50
koth
Registered User
 
koth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larabee View Post
Copp is going to be a good player. As he gets more comfortable with the NHL, you can see his confidence grow. He's a gritty player, good on faceoffs and his shot is getting more lethal.

That was a great pass by Dano.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.