Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hotels Jets stay at on the road?

Old
07-12-2017, 06:59 PM
puckinhoots

vCash: 500
Hotels Jets stay at on the road?

Odd question but was wondering if anyone knows where the jets stay when they're on the road? Specifically Calgary and Edmonton as I will be going to the games there in October and have a couple things I want to try and get signed. Any info would be great, thanks!

puckinhoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Arthur Fonzarelli

vCash: 1804
Can't speak of other cities, but I run into players, coaches & GM's walking in & out of the Delta downtown on St. Mary very regularly.

Perhaps they stay at Delta's elsewhere as well?

It's also quite possible the Delta in Winnipeg is used due to it's proximity to MTS Centre.

Arthur Fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzarelli View Post
Can't speak of other cities, but I run into players, coaches & GM's walking in & out of the Delta downtown on St. Mary very regularly.

Perhaps they stay at Delta's elsewhere as well?

It's also quite possible the Delta in Winnipeg is used due to it's proximity to MTS Centre.
In Winnipeg visiting teams have always stayed at the Fairmont.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:27 PM
TorJet

They've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Toronto in past years.

Suspect that'll continue given location.

In Winnipeg, seen multiple teams at the Fairmont.

TorJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:33 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
I believe they stay at the Hotel Cresent Court in Dallas that is where most of the pro sport teams stay.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Aavco Cup

There was an article in the WFP (IIRC) back in yr1 & yr 2 that talked about the process. The home team books the hotel for every visiting team that visits. The hotels are approved by the NHL & the PA. They get the benefit of volume discounts that way and each team only deals with one hotel instead of 30. And they only deal in their local currency

Old
07-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Arthur Fonzarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
In Winnipeg visiting teams have always stayed at the Fairmont.
Certainly isn't all teams. Nashville stayed at the Delta last year in April. I had a meeting with a client when the team checked in at the front desk. Shortly afterwards many were in the Elephant & Castle as I was leaving. Called up a few waitress friends working the nearby Pony Corral who are huge Predator fans that went there for autographs.

In January just prior to starting work at the Wonderful Wedding show I had breakfast in the Blaze Bistro & several Blues players were there as well. Can't say with any certainty they were staying there, but did have breakfast.

Also ran into Claude Noel who was scouting in Winnipeg for the Devils sometime in the spring. Even mentioned it on these boards. Was in the elevator down with him & he walked into the Blaze bistro where he sat at the wood for drinks.

Back during the Jets 1.0 days, most teams stayed at the Fairmount which was then known as the Westin. Players were frequently at the original Shark Club & Liberty Grill as well as in Baileys due to being immediately behind the hotel.

In addition I seem to recall the Viscount Gord was used back in the 80's.

I'm sure that situations develop where alternate accommodations need to be found, perhaps explaining why I've seen teams stay elsewhere.

Last edited by Arthur Fonzarelli: 07-12-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old
07-12-2017, 08:01 PM
dvst8r

vCash: 820
In Calgary, they have open practices for the teams on game day that they allow the public to attend. Usually flames are 10:30a and visitors are 11:30a. Watched the Jets practice last time they were in Calgary.

Also got a few things signed.

dvst8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:04 PM
puckinhoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8r View Post
In Calgary, they have open practices for the teams on game day that they allow the public to attend. Usually flames are 10:30a and visitors are 11:30a. Watched the Jets practice last time they were in Calgary.

Also got a few things signed.
I got one of buffs pink Warrior sticks I want to get signed, doubt I can get it into the Saddledome. Don't know where they stay there though eh?

Old
07-12-2017, 08:36 PM
dvst8r

vCash: 820
Not 100% sure but I think the Westin or the Sheraton eau Claire. You might also be able to wait by the bus after the practice

dvst8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 09:51 PM
JetBlue420

Fairmont definitely but some stayed across the street this past year but 90 percent is definitely at the Fairmont. I work near there and go in the square for lunch and not only have i seen visiting players leaving the fairmont but also some jets players.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Certainly isn't all teams. Nashville stayed at the Delta last year in April. I had a meeting with a client when the team checked in at the front desk. Shortly afterwards many were in the Elephant & Castle as I was leaving. Called up a few waitress friends working the nearby Pony Corral who are huge Predator fans that went there for autographs.

In January just prior to starting work at the Wonderful Wedding show I had breakfast in the Blaze Bistro & several Blues players were there as well. Can't say with any certainty they were staying there, but did have breakfast.

Also ran into Claude Noel who was scouting in Winnipeg for the Devils sometime in the spring. Even mentioned it on these boards. Was in the elevator down with him & he walked into the Blaze bistro where he sat at the wood for drinks.

Back during the Jets 1.0 days, most teams stayed at the Fairmount which was then known as the Westin. Players were frequently at the original Shark Club & Liberty Grill as well as in Baileys due to being immediately behind the hotel.

In addition I seem to recall the Viscount Gord was used back in the 80's.

I'm sure that situations develop where alternate accommodations need to be found, perhaps explaining why I've seen teams stay elsewhere.
Everybody ended up at the Palomino in the day

Perhaps the Delta is used as an overflow or is another option now.

Old
07-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Arthur Fonzarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Everybody ended up at the Palomino in the day

Perhaps the Delta is used as an overflow or is another option now.
The Palomino Club did okay, but Perry Miller's Wise Guys was seen as the defacto spot.

That said, it really depended what place was the busiest. I worked at the Mondetta World Cafe & during their heyday of 95-97 the Jets were regulars. Many 5am nights with the MLCC banging on the windows threatening to shut things down until they saw who was inside.

Old
07-12-2017, 11:51 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
The Palomino Club did okay, but Perry Miller's Wise Guys was seen as the defacto spot.

That said, it really depended what place was the busiest. I worked at the Mondetta World Cafe & during their heyday of 95-97 the Jets were regulars. Many 5am nights with the MLCC banging on the windows threatening to shut things down until they saw who was inside.
It was the road team that ended up at the Pal......the Jets knew better

Old
07-12-2017, 11:59 PM
Yukon Joe

Jets stay at the Westin in Edmonton.

It's a good location with the new downtown rink - just a few blocks away from Rogers Place.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 08:44 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
The 1st year Nov 2011...... I did the the New York road trip weekend. Jets played N.Y.I /N.J/ N.Y.R.

In Long Island at their old rink they had a Marriott in the parking lot. Not much else close by. The visiting teams stayed there. Nice hotel good bars and restaurants in side hotel. We were told that many of the Islander players would live on the top floors for the season as seasonal residencies. ( 1 minute walk across the parking lot to the game).

When we were there on game day we ran into Chevy in the hallway by the elevators. Our crew were all wearing our blue Home Jet Jerseys.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Howard Chuck

Quote:

I saw the jets 1.0 at a place on Portage across the street and a bit west from the Viscount quite a few times. Don't even remember what it was called now. I remember seeing Dale H. chain smoking up a storm in there

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Aavco Cup

In Minnesota they stay at the StPaul

https://www.saintpaulhotel.com

Old
07-13-2017, 10:33 AM
GrandChelems

Pretty sure it's the Cecil hotel in Calgary.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:39 AM
puckinhoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Jets stay at the Westin in Edmonton.

It's a good location with the new downtown rink - just a few blocks away from Rogers Place.
are you 100% sure on that?

Old
07-13-2017, 11:21 AM
WerdnaG
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post

They're trying to rip that thing down lol.

WerdnaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Didn't Superman get drunk there back in the 1980's?

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckinhoots View Post
are you 100% sure on that?
Shoot - you know what - I'm not.

I have a friend who travels with the team. Two years ago I picked him up from the Westin. I even saw Jim Slater in the lobby. That's what I was thinking of earlier.

But this past season I met that same friend for coffee at the Hotel Macdonald. This time I saw Dennis Beyak leaving the hotel.

I'll probably meet up again with this friend when the team comes through in October. If someone wants to ask closer to I'll try and find out which hotel they are at.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:23 PM
SoCalJetsFan

vCash: 147
The last visit to L.A. in March they stayed at the J W Marriott @ LA Live which is right across the street from the Staples Center.

SoCalJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 02:19 PM
puckinhoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Shoot - you know what - I'm not.

I have a friend who travels with the team. Two years ago I picked him up from the Westin. I even saw Jim Slater in the lobby. That's what I was thinking of earlier.

But this past season I met that same friend for coffee at the Hotel Macdonald. This time I saw Dennis Beyak leaving the hotel.

I'll probably meet up again with this friend when the team comes through in October. If someone wants to ask closer to I'll try and find out which hotel they are at.
I'll make sure to!!!