HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Scorching Hot Summer Takes (Screen-Melting Predictions and Opinions 2017)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2017, 12:53 PM
  #51
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,201
vCash: 500
I thought Stan had a legit shot at being an NHLer. He had one pretty darn good season in Hershey before he got his taste of the NHL. Just seems plagued with inconsistency. Might be a case of more talent than heart, desire, and work ethic.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 12:56 PM
  #52
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,834
vCash: 500
His "pretty darn good season" was based largely upon him playing the Ovechkin spot on Hershey's powerplay. He was never going to get that role in the NHL, on Washington or most elsewhere. Tomas Kundratek also had a darn good season playing that spot in Hershey.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 12:59 PM
  #53
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,201
vCash: 500
whatever it was based upon...he delivered. That season rightfully bouyed his shot at the bigs, but you can't take that next step from the press box. Coaches have to believe in a guy and they clearly didn't. I don't blame them...clearly he didn't do enough to win ice time on a stacked team.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 01:05 PM
  #54
G F O P
Registered Baller
 
G F O P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 259,680
vCash: 500
Caps finally get past the second round with help from Hershey talent. All the doom and gloom about the offseason is forgotten.

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 01:08 PM
  #55
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 30,075
vCash: 50
I boldly and hotly predict Kugryshev will outscore Stan this season.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 03:22 PM
  #56
hb11xchamps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 4,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I boldly and hotly predict Kugryshev will outscore Stan this season.
Osala will outscore both

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 03:30 PM
  #57
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,834
vCash: 500
Kugryshev has outscored Osala in three of the past four seasons, with Osala outscoring him by 3 points this year because he played 8 more games. Kugryshev actually had a good enough 2014-15 season that there was some speculation about him returning to North America. Didn't do quite as well once he moved to CSKA, but still did respectably.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 04:11 PM
  #58
SpinningEdge
Registered User
 
SpinningEdge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 4,396
vCash: 500
Vrana wins the Calder.

.... after (of course) Trotz is fired early on after a sub par start.

SpinningEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 05:12 PM
  #59
PB12
Registered User
 
PB12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
Holtby struggles at the start of the season, we are begging that its PGs time, but in the end the beast returns

PB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 05:15 PM
  #60
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22,512
vCash: 500
orpik scores a hat trick in the first game

hockeykicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:21 PM
  #61
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 21,123
vCash: 439
Supernova take: The Capitals will surprise everybody and win... a 2nd round series only to lose in the semi-finals.

Eazy for Kuzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 06:24 AM
  #62
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 16,773
vCash: 500
Jet fuel melting steel beams: Ovechkin will miss the first significant time of his career causing the hockey world to go nuts with trade speculation and inappropriate talk about his marriage, etc. He will be hurt while "playing the right way". The Injury Excuse will still buy Trotz an extension and some time following that announcement there will be rumors of Ovechkin asking for a trade to win a Cup and prolong his career.

__________________
g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 07:51 AM
  #63
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,125
vCash: 504
Moments after The Big Bang: we're gonna win the Stanley Cup of Coffee, awarded to the team that gives the most AHL guys a taste of NHL action.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 08:37 AM
  #64
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 30,075
vCash: 50
Aurora Revolution* - Orlov (all star) under our new coach dispels the myth that only a RH shot Dman can get pucks to Ovi on the PP. Long overlooking that LH Nick is expected to get pucks to Ovi playing LW as his full time job.

*Reference to some old PS3 fighting game move a female character did. Tekken?

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 08:53 AM
  #65
TheDayMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Djoos becomes a top 4 d man and takes over on pp2 duties. Vrana pots 20. Burakovsky gets 30.
Kuz gets 75+ points. Bura nick Oshie line is magic and Nicky wins the art ross with 94 points

TheDayMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 10:55 AM
  #66
usiel
Registered User
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Klendathu
Posts: 10,748
vCash: 1480
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDayMan View Post
Djoos becomes a top 4 d man and takes over on pp2 duties. Vrana pots 20. Burakovsky gets 30.
Kuz gets 75+ points. Bura nick Oshie line is magic and Nicky wins the art ross with 94 points
I just fully appreciate this positive hot take since we have some many glass half full caps peeps around here, heh.


__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 01:06 PM
  #67
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Wet hot fart take--

GMBM, Mahoney, Trotz, Korn, and Rierdon all get fired on 12/25/17 (forever to be known in CapsLand as the Christmas Massacre...errr Christmas Purge....errrr Christmas Miracle?!?!....you be the judge).

Then....Ted and Dick are crazed w emotion and regret and decide to trade Vrana, Bowey, Samsanov and 2 1st's to Vegas for the rights to George McPhee. GMGM promptly hires Adam Oates and Butch Cassidy as co-head coaches, he then trades for Jagr, Green, and Brouwer, signs Semin .... and exults to the masses that his 20yr vision is now complete!!

And all is karmatically right in Caps Land.

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 02:24 PM
  #68
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Aurora Revolution* - Orlov (all star) under our new coach dispels the myth that only a RH shot Dman can get pucks to Ovi on the PP. Long overlooking that LH Nick is expected to get pucks to Ovi playing LW as his full time job.

*Reference to some old PS3 fighting game move a female character did. Tekken?
If the new coaches changes the PP scheme, then sure.

If the new coach doesn't, then nope. It's not a "myth," it's simply a result of the formation. To a LH point man to get the puck to Ovie, he either has to pivot his body or feed the puck on the backhand. He can't catch and release.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 03:57 PM
  #69
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I suspect the playoff hitting Djoos may face in the NHL is unlike anything he was ever experienced. We do get a few games a year ft playoff type hitting and rest assured it will be vs Pitt if anyone.
I think you are crazy. If there is one thing the AHL compares with the NHL decently is hitting. Speed and skill? No but hitting is definitely something that is part of any North American League. Heck I think you could make the argument that there is more hitting in the AHL IMO.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 04:02 PM
  #70
TheDayMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Wet hot fart take--

GMBM, Mahoney, Trotz, Korn, and Rierdon all get fired on 12/25/17 (forever to be known in CapsLand as the Christmas Massacre...errr Christmas Purge....errrr Christmas Miracle?!?!....you be the judge).

Then....Ted and Dick are crazed w emotion and regret and decide to trade Vrana, Bowey, Samsanov and 2 1st's to Vegas for the rights to George McPhee. GMGM promptly hires Adam Oates and Butch Cassidy as co-head coaches, he then trades for Jagr, Green, and Brouwer, signs Semin .... and exults to the masses that his 20yr vision is now complete!!

And all is karmatically right in Caps Land.
So

OV Nick Oshie
Burt Kuz Semin
Jagr Eller Brouwer
Connolly Beagle Wilson

Orlov Niskanen
Djoos Carlson
Oprik Green

I like it

TheDayMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 04:11 PM
  #71
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
If the new coaches changes the PP scheme, then sure.

If the new coach doesn't, then nope. It's not a "myth," it's simply a result of the formation. To a LH point man to get the puck to Ovie, he either has to pivot his body or feed the puck on the backhand. He can't catch and release.
Agreed. Since I'm sure Kuznetsov will be filling Johansson's spot full time now maybe it is time for the 2nd unit to mirror the 1st? Not sure who would fill what roles at this point but Orlov at the point or in the Ovechkin spot seems to definitely work.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 04:27 PM
  #72
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 21,123
vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDayMan View Post
So

OV Nick Oshie
Burt Kuz Semin
Jagr Eller Brouwer
Connolly Beagle Wilson

Orlov Niskanen
Djoos Carlson
Oprik Green

I like it
Burt Kuz Semin. Sounds wrong just to read it

Eazy for Kuzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 05:27 PM
  #73
TheDayMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
Burt Kuz Semin. Sounds wrong just to read it
If we sign yakupov put him in buras place

Yak Kuz Semin


TheDayMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 05:39 PM
  #74
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 30,075
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
If the new coaches changes the PP scheme, then sure.

If the new coach doesn't, then nope. It's not a "myth," it's simply a result of the formation. To a LH point man to get the puck to Ovie, he either has to pivot his body or feed the puck on the backhand. He can't catch and release.
Why can't Nick just pass it onto Orlov's forehand? Minimal pivoting needed, it could easily be a one touch pass right to Ovi. If the PK forward is cheating that much, Nick can just step forward, and shoot, or pass it to Ovi himself.

As it is, a RH shot has to pass across his body, blind if he doesnt want to telegraph it. A longer pass, that everyone already knows is coming. Make the harder pass for Nick, not the RHD.

Maybe there is a reason Carlson and Nisky cannot make that pass, that you imply is much easier. So much so, we paid a 1st+ to fix it, and it still wasn't fixed. We can't keep throwing away first's to fix it, without trying likely our best OD man up there first.

I am sure you remember Orlov getting a few reps up top. He did not look out of place.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 07:00 PM
  #75
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Why can't Nick just pass it onto Orlov's forehand? Minimal pivoting needed, it could easily be a one touch pass right to Ovi. If the PK forward is cheating that much, Nick can just step forward, and shoot, or pass it to Ovi himself.
Orlov can't have his forehand both pointed at Nick and pointed at Ovechkin at the same time. Think about where he is standing . It's one or the other. If he opens up his forehand to receive a pass from the half wall, then he's not able to make a one-touch to Ovechkin. If he points his forehand towards Ovechkin, then Orlov's feet are in between his stick and Backstrom.

It also means that Orlov isn't a threat to one-time the puck on net from the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
As it is, a RH shot has to pass across his body, blind if he doesnt want to telegraph it. A longer pass, that everyone already knows is coming. Make the harder pass for Nick, not the RHD.
You don't need to drag your stick so far that it crosses over your body to make a one-touch pass as a RHD at the point. Even if they do drag the blade that far, it's still something they can do in one motion without moving their feet. They can keep the puck moving quickly and prevent the defense from having time to react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Maybe there is a reason Carlson and Nisky cannot make that pass, that you imply is much easier. So much so, we paid a 1st+ to fix it, and it still wasn't fixed. We can't keep throwing away first's to fix it, without trying likely our best OD man up there first.

I am sure you remember Orlov getting a few reps up top. He did not look out of place.
Niskanen and Shattenkirk did fine in the formation. Carlson just elects to shoot too much (and doesn't do enough with the shots to make it worthwhile). Niskanen is not a credible enough shot threat to be ideal, but Shattenkirk blended both elements very well (thus why he was picked up).

Orlov got reps up there, but the unit didn't do very well. 6.43 goals/60, as opposed to 7.79 goals/60 for Niskanen and 8.62 goals/60 for Shattenkirk.


Last edited by Hivemind: 07-15-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.