HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karl Alzner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2017, 09:33 PM
  #26
Respeck
Drouin
 
Respeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
I'd be ecstatic if Alzner is a steady top-4 D that gets 30+ points a year.

Alzner career high (21 points) is lower or equal to any Hamrlik year except his last 2 (68 and 16 games) and the one earlier on when he played 37 games.
He doesn't play any PP so his point totals are lower than most top 4 D point totals are.

Respeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:37 PM
  #27
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
He doesn't play any PP so his point totals are lower than most top 4 D point totals are.
Not being able to PP, is the reason why hell cap at 20 points if lucky. It's not like if it's a personal choice for him not to play on the PP, it's because he can't.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:42 PM
  #28
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Where do you find that guy?
If a GM can't find a 2nd pairing LHD with a season's worth of time, he should be looking for another occupation.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:50 PM
  #29
Doc McKenna
Registered User
 
Doc McKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
He doesn't play any PP so his point totals are lower than most top 4 D point totals are.
So we will be needing pleks on the point again yeah this D core is solid. Solid like a constipated turd. We do everything we can to get decent guys on the point, because we had to learn the hardway about it, and MB flushes 3 LHD that all could play on the PP in one off season.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 09:58 PM
  #30
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
So we will be needing pleks on the point again yeah this D core is solid. Solid like a constipated turd. We do everything we can to get decent guys on the point, because we had to learn the hardway about it, and MB flushes 3 LHD that all could play on the PP in one off season.
Drouin will be on the point .....






Last edited by Habaneros: 07-13-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:04 PM
  #31
Belial
Registered User
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Doing GM work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
If a GM can't find a 2nd pairing LHD with a season's worth of time, he should be looking for another occupation.
Well, he just got one but he can't open jars so you don't like him.

Belial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:07 PM
  #32
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Well, he just got one but he can't open jars so you don't like him.
I'd like him at last year's salary.

Or a reasonable facsimile, who isn't a UFA.

Or a homegrown specimen, that you call up during his cost-controlled years, like the Caps did with Alzner and let the next team pay for his raise.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:33 PM
  #33
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 7,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
He doesn't play any PP so his point totals are lower than most top 4 D point totals are.
Because he's garbage when it comes to offensive play.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:20 AM
  #34
Doc McKenna
Registered User
 
Doc McKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Drouin will be on the point ....
Both pp units, and who is playing wing. Drouin isnt a mystical creature that is going to make up our offensive woes, at best he replaces radulov. He doesnt address our d

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:22 AM
  #35
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,376
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
What exactly are people expecting or hoping from him the season?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:40 AM
  #36
Captain Wolverine
Registered User
 
Captain Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
He doesn't play any PP so his point totals are lower than most top 4 D point totals are.
1) There's a reason he doesn't play PP minutes.
2) He's an inefficient point producer at even strength too.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:43 AM
  #37
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 36,511
vCash: 256
I think he will be just fine here
He doesn't have the offensive side to his game but I'm happy if he can play solid defensively and make sure no one touches Carey

Weber and Alzner back to back on the ice is not something other teams will like to play against.

Now they just need some offensive partners and solid skaters with them as a duo

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 10:30 AM
  #38
DramaticGloveSave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
If a GM can't find a 2nd pairing LHD with a season's worth of time, he should be looking for another occupation.
Like maybe in the UFA market?

DramaticGloveSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 10:39 AM
  #39
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaticGloveSave View Post
Like maybe in the UFA market?
Yeah, overpay and give term to physically battered defensive defensemen. They're in short supply, haven't you heard.

Dramatic Gorges-clone fan, I see.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 10:47 AM
  #40
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Yeah, overpay and give term to physically battered defensive defensemen. They're in short supply, haven't you heard.

Dramatic Gorges-clone fan, I see.
Guy still hasn't missed a regular season game in 7 years, is only 28, and some of you guys are ready to take him behind the shed for a sympathy put-down, lol. I think I'll wait until I see if it's something that can't be effectively rehabbed over the course of next year before I pronounce him dead.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 10:51 AM
  #41
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Guy still hasn't missed a regular season game in 7 years, is only 28, and some of you guys are ready to take him behind the shed for a sympathy put-down, lol. I think I'll wait until I see if it's something that can't be effectively rehabbed over the course of next year before I pronounce him dead.
Another jarring comment.

Are you a coroner?

He's certainly serviceable but not the type of D the Habs needed. And not at the price and term that they paid. He's a player that a successful org. is able to develop from a low draft pick and then use him during his cost controlled years. The fact that the Habs feel compelled to go out and buy a defensive defenceman is more a testament to their failure from a drafting and development standpoint.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:03 AM
  #42
Captain Wolverine
Registered User
 
Captain Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Another jarring comment.

Are you a coroner?

He's certainly serviceable but not the type of D the Habs needed. And not at the price and term that they paid. He's a player that a successful org. is able to develop from a low draft pick and then use him during his cost controlled years. The fact that the Habs feel compelled to go out and buy a defensive defenceman is more a testament to their failure from a drafting and development standpoint.
I wouldn't even go that far. He's the type of defenseman the league as a whole has been moving away from for years now. And when teams do target D like him, they usually pay an AAV around half of what Montreal paid.

Bergevin's obsession with non-mobile, risk-adverse D is like a basketball exec being enamoured with iso or the triangle.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:16 AM
  #43
DramaticGloveSave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Another jarring comment.

Are you a coroner?

He's certainly serviceable but not the type of D the Habs needed. And not at the price and term that they paid. He's a player that a successful org. is able to develop from a low draft pick and then use him during his cost controlled years. The fact that the Habs feel compelled to go out and buy a defensive defenceman is more a testament to their failure from a drafting and development standpoint.
How is he not the perfect Dman to pair with Petry in a minute eating role?

There is nothing wrong with the term or price either. 4.65m AAV is nothing these days, and we're getting him for his age 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 years. Those are prime years for a defensive dman.

DramaticGloveSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:19 AM
  #44
VladTheLimpWhaler
Registered User
 
VladTheLimpWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolverine View Post
I wouldn't even go that far. He's the type of defenseman the league as a whole has been moving away from for years now. And when teams do target D like him, they usually pay an AAV around half of what Montreal paid.

Bergevin's obsession with non-mobile, risk-adverse D is like a basketball exec being enamoured with iso or the triangle.
Not this nonsense again. When will these ridiculous prophecies about where the league is heading finally end? No matter how popular mobile defensemen get, and no matter how much their fanboys overvalue them, there will always be room in the NHL for smart, physical, defensive defensemen. Always.

VladTheLimpWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:19 AM
  #45
DramaticGloveSave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Yeah, overpay and give term to physically battered defensive defensemen. They're in short supply, haven't you heard.

Dramatic Gorges-clone fan, I see.
I disagree on all fronts. He's neither physically done, nor is he overpayed or is it a bad term.

Also Gorges was, and always will be, physically overmatched in the NHL. He's got a ton of heart, but that doesn't change his physical limitations. Alzner on the other hand physically overmatches opponents. He's simply bigger and stronger than 99% of forwards.

DramaticGloveSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:30 AM
  #46
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaticGloveSave View Post
I disagree on all fronts. He's neither physically done, nor is he overpayed or is it a bad term.

Also Gorges was, and always will be, physically overmatched in the NHL. He's got a ton of heart, but that doesn't change his physical limitations. Alzner on the other hand physically overmatches opponents. He's simply bigger and stronger than 99% of forwards.
He's big but not overly physical, from what I've read.

Did we really need another defensive defenceman, though? Is this why the Habs lost in the first round of the playoffs in the past season? Not enough defence, right?

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:34 AM
  #47
DramaticGloveSave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
He's big but not overly physical, from what I've read.

Did we really need another defensive defenceman, though? Is this why the Habs lost in the first round of the playoffs in the past season? Not enough defence, right?
He's not gonna blow guys up like Emelin, but he'll use his body to punish forwards down low and seperate them from the puck. That's what you want.

Look who we have up front in Galchenyuk and Drouin. 2 young top end offensive talents who struggle defensively. We'll get our offence from letting those 2 loose. How do you let them loose? By having quality veteran defenceman out there insulating them.

DramaticGloveSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:35 AM
  #48
Captain Wolverine
Registered User
 
Captain Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaticGloveSave View Post
How is he not the perfect Dman to pair with Petry in a minute eating role?

There is nothing wrong with the term or price either. 4.65m AAV is nothing these days, and we're getting him for his age 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 years. Those are prime years for a defensive dman.
Those are actually the post-prime years of defensive D-men. Gorges, Staal, Girardi, Bieksa, Emelin all saw their games decline at that age.

the perfect type of D to pair with Petry is a more mobile defensive defenseman that can close gaps and not get blown past.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:37 AM
  #49
Belial
Registered User
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
He's big but not overly physical, from what I've read.

Did we really need another defensive defenceman, though? Is this why the Habs lost in the first round of the playoffs in the past season? Not enough defence, right?
With Emelin gone we definitely needed a solid defensive D.

Belial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:37 AM
  #50
DramaticGloveSave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolverine View Post
Those are actually the post-prime years of defensive D-men. Gorges, Staal, Girardi, Bieksa, Emelin all saw their games decline at that age.
I can't speak on the other guys, but has Emelin declined physically? No, he just sucks defensively.

DramaticGloveSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.