Notices

Top 3 Jets for shootout

Old
07-16-2017, 08:27 PM
portamoral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
He is sometimes prone to pulling off that one between the legs move that most often goes nowhere. It's even worse when he does it going up the left side because he basically just takes himself into the corner. He needs to incorporate some moves that actually open up space into his repertoire. he has the skill.
thats hard as hell to successfully pull off though, the fact that it works more times than not is impressive. considering it's tough to cleanly beat anyone 1on1 in the NHL, i think it's a decent move to make the D turn and get further in the zone to set up someone else. we've seen him just absolutely walk around some guys when he has a step or more speed though. he's got a lot in his repetoire just favours a few moves over others. like his shootout one but it works so i'm not complaining.

portamoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 50
Little
Laine
Perreault

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 12:15 AM
ruffus23

how many points would a 50% shooter get the team over a season? maybe an extra 4 points if 8 shootouts.

i think:
laine
armia
dano
petan

basically don't like any of the vets taking the shots. maybe little and perrault

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 12:29 AM
Calendal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
I was going to say Petan but am unsure if he is going to be on the team this year so I put in Petan.
Maurice used Laine at 2nd for every shootout last season iirc and he was in 2nd spot every time iirc. This year I think Laine bats cleanup in 3rd spot. Maurice also said Armia was about to go in when the Jets won their last shootout. The move Armia put on Price last year gave him a shot in the next shootout if you ask me...Price is still looking at the replay wondering what happened...
Connor has some slick moves on the shootout/breakaway from what I have seen.
Of course we always have Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, MP, Ehlers and who knows what Buff might be like on a breakaway? Certainly better than Drew???
I think coaches usually put their best guy in as 2nd. Expecting Laine will go second unless he messed 4-5 in row.

Calendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 12:34 AM
10Ducky10

Scheif would be my first pick for a vet.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 12:35 AM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calendal View Post
I think coaches usually put their best guy in as 2nd. Expecting Laine will go second unless he messed 4-5 in row.
I always thought it was the least pressure position out of the three?

Old
07-17-2017, 12:53 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by portamoral View Post
thats hard as hell to successfully pull off though, the fact that it works more times than not is impressive. considering it's tough to cleanly beat anyone 1on1 in the NHL, i think it's a decent move to make the D turn and get further in the zone to set up someone else. we've seen him just absolutely walk around some guys when he has a step or more speed though. he's got a lot in his repetoire just favours a few moves over others. like his shootout one but it works so i'm not complaining.
All I'm saying is if you don't mix it up a bit you can become a one trick piny with your stickhandling. E.Kane is a prime example. One 1v1 deke and one shootout move is great for about a season or two until everyone figures you out. Gotta shake things up.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:12 AM
Calendal

Quote:
I always thought it was the least pressure position out of the three?
I think it's subjective and depends on who scores or who doesn't, but some FEL coaches explained it this way:

-3rd guy doesn't always get to shoot - (i.e. the second shooter may already have the pressure of ending the shootout on his shoulders)

I'm not sure if the logic is actually good, but that's how I've heard it explained.

Calendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:13 AM
portamoral

Quote:
All I'm saying is if you don't mix it up a bit you can become a one trick piny with your stickhandling. E.Kane is a prime example. One 1v1 deke and one shootout move is great for about a season or two until everyone figures you out. Gotta shake things up.
you're right i know, even though i think laine is far too skilled to end up like that. just saying he's got more than he's showing. he's only been in the league for a year and even though he's using just a couple, they all work pretty well. if it ain't broke why fix it? i'm sure he'll throw some others in in the future. if you think about it there aren't many guys who have "signature" moves that they successfully do all the time and are known for like laine. pretty cool

he's also got this shootout move @ 1:21 and i've seen him do others like the datsyuk move and the forsberg one. he'll probably start to use his shot more i'm sure to keep goalies honest.

portamoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:01 AM
Ippenator

Quote:
I understand that many of you Jets fans don't really know that well many things and abilities that Laine has. We who have seen him play a lot in FEL and the national teams know though that he has lots of tricks up his sleeve. Also he does have clearly better hands and stickhandling than his rookie season let us see. He had two problems during his rookie season though. The other one was with timing his moves correctly against the quicker and better plays reading opponents, and the other one was that he didn't have good enough first steps to comfortably use his moves in the way that he got used to in FEL. Also it is partially a confidence issue. The good news is that each of these problems can be solved with training and getting more NHL experience.

Honestly I have to say with what I saw at least last season, that Ehlers definitely does not have as good hands and moves as Laine. Ehlers is a speed demon, and he can use his speed well with his better than average hands, but for sure he would not be my choice ever for shootouts. He messed up at least 3 breakaways that Laine sent him through with, and honestly otherwise I was not really too impressed with his stickhandling.

Ippenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:57 AM
matthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by portamoral View Post
you're right i know, even though i think laine is far too skilled to end up like that. just saying he's got more than he's showing. he's only been in the league for a year and even though he's using just a couple, they all work pretty well. if it ain't broke why fix it? i'm sure he'll throw some others in in the future. if you think about it there aren't many guys who have "signature" moves that they successfully do all the time and are known for like laine. pretty cool

he's also got this shootout move @ 1:21 and i've seen him do others like the datsyuk move and the forsberg one. he'll probably start to use his shot more i'm sure to keep goalies honest.

Laine just needs to work through on his creativity and choose the proper time to make those beautiful dekes, like the one in Nashville.

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
I was going to say Petan but am unsure if he is going to be on the team this year so I put in Petan.
Maurice used Laine at 2nd for every shootout last season iirc and he was in 2nd spot every time iirc. This year I think Laine bats cleanup in 3rd spot. Maurice also said Armia was about to go in when the Jets won their last shootout. The move Armia put on Price last year gave him a shot in the next shootout if you ask me...Price is still looking at the replay wondering what happened...
Connor has some slick moves on the shootout/breakaway from what I have seen.
Of course we always have Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, MP, Ehlers and who knows what Buff might be like on a breakaway? Certainly better than Drew???
I listed Laine last too but that was a mistake. It could be over after 2 shooters. You don't ever want to lose a SO with Laine still on the bench. So he goes 2nd.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 12:00 PM
10Ducky10

Okay, you have a point.
Armia
Laine
Connor

Scheif gets an honorable mention.

Old
07-17-2017, 12:45 PM
DashingDane

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippenator View Post
I understand that many of you Jets fans don't really know that well many things and abilities that Laine has. We who have seen him play a lot in FEL and the national teams know though that he has lots of tricks up his sleeve. Also he does have clearly better hands and stickhandling than his rookie season let us see. He had two problems during his rookie season though. The other one was with timing his moves correctly against the quicker and better plays reading opponents, and the other one was that he didn't have good enough first steps to comfortably use his moves in the way that he got used to in FEL. Also it is partially a confidence issue. The good news is that each of these problems can be solved with training and getting more NHL experience.

Honestly I have to say with what I saw at least last season, that Ehlers definitely does not have as good hands and moves as Laine. Ehlers is a speed demon, and he can use his speed well with his better than average hands, but for sure he would not be my choice ever for shootouts. He messed up at least 3 breakaways that Laine sent him through with, and honestly otherwise I was not really too impressed with his stickhandling.
This goes two ways as most Laine supporters has only seen one season of Jets players and don't have the full picture. Now I would never argue about putting Ehlers as a penalty shooter because as most people pointed out, he hasn't shown consistency on his breakaways.

But to say he isn't a great stickhandler is wrong imo. I've followed him since juniors and have seen him do things with a puck that just shouldn't be possible. His creativity is off the charts. Imo he easily showed more stickhandling abilities last season than Laine. By that I don't mean that Laine couldn't become better (he clearly has the skills) but as far as proven stickhandling in the NHL I give the nod to Ehlers.

Now I would never pick our penalty shooter based off stickhandling. Scoring is what counts and Laine is a must for that.

Last edited by DashingDane: 07-17-2017 at 01:34 PM.
DashingDane is offline   Reply With Quote