HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Carey Price : Which is most likely to happen?

View Poll Results: Carey Price: Which scenarios are mostly to Happen?
Win a Cup in MTL 5 2.70%
Get his #31 retired by the Habs 14 7.57%
Gets Elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame 37 20.00%
All of the Above 26 14.05%
2 out of 3 67 36.22%
None of the Above 36 19.46%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2017, 07:43 AM
  #1
thewall
Registered User
 
thewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Carey Price : Which is most likely to happen?

Which scenario is most likely to happen with Carey Price? Options are Win a Cup in MTL. Gets his #31 retired by the Habs. Gets elected into the Hockey All of Fame?


Last edited by thewall: 07-16-2017 at 07:50 AM.
thewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:04 AM
  #2
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 18,109
vCash: 500
As a goalie, he is entering his prime....................let's just see how this plays out...too soon to say what will happen, although he will break Habs goalie records...but will need a Cup soon to be considered a great!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:16 AM
  #3
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,661
vCash: 500
Right now, none of the above..

We'll see where it goes, but I have no confidence in this team as constructed and I think within 2-3 years we are going to have to blow up the team. Thus ruining Price's chances at a cup or getting his number retired, he could very well end up the HOF though. We'll see.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:20 AM
  #4
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
He'll be inducted in the HHOF, no doubt about that. Just based off his Hart season and international stats, Cup shouldn't matter especially considering that he's always carried this team. He'll have his number retired since he's the best player we've had since Roy.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:22 AM
  #5
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !
 
One Less Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 24,593
vCash: 500
I don't believe in Price's chances to win a cup in Montreal. Price could win a cup behind a team that was a legit cup contender. But I don't think he can be the main driving force behind a cup win like Thomas was in Boston, or like Hasek almost was in Buffalo behind a much worse team than Thomas. And we're acting like he is another Thomas/Hasek which he isn't IMO.

So no cup, no jersey retirement in Montreal. But I'm iffy on hall of fame. Is a gold medal at the olympics + 1 hart + 1 vezina enough ?

So for me it's 0 out of 3, or maybe 1/3 (hall of fame).

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:23 AM
  #6
thewall
Registered User
 
thewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
My question is.. does he really need a cup to get his # retired? I voted for 2 out of 3. My opinion is h wont win a cup and it definetly not be his fault.i have 0 confidence in Bergevin's abilitie to build a winning team. I think Price will hold several Habs records and with his possible 20 years spent in the Habs organisation this will be enough to have his #31 retired. As for the HHOF, Price will probably get in there with is potential 400 wins 50 SO and he already has a Calder Cup a Gold Medal at the WJH and a Gold Medal at the Olympics and 1 World Cup. 1 Vezina. 1 Hart 1 Jennings. 1 Ted Lindsay. He will probably win a few more Vezina and he is considered currently the best goalie in the world by reporters managers and other players.

thewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:25 AM
  #7
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !
 
One Less Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 24,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
He'll be inducted in the HHOF, no doubt about that. Just based off his Hart season and international stats, Cup shouldn't matter especially considering that he's always carried this team. He'll have his number retired since he's the best player we've had since Roy.
First of all bold is 100% meaningless and not as impressive as it sounds in reality because he's miles behind Roy, and we have sucked ever since he left.

Secondly, no chance that he gets his number retired based on those criterias. No cup, no jersey retirement. as it should be.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:31 AM
  #8
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Louise View Post
First of all bold is 100% meaningless and not as impressive as it sounds in reality because he's miles behind Roy, and we have sucked ever since he left.

Secondly, no chance that he gets his number retired based on those criterias. No cup, no jersey retirement. as it should be.
Ultimately, if the team doesn't win the Cup with Price, a jersey retirement will be the justification and validate the reason why they gave the most lucrative contract in Habs history to him. It will confirm that he was a special talent. The Habs brass will manage to twist it as the lone bright spot of our drought, ''we didn't see a Cup but we had the privilege to see a special talent like Price!''. You're not a Price fan but saying he's miles behind Roy is a huge hyperbole.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:44 AM
  #9
crazyd
Canada is hockey
 
crazyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
my question is.. Does he really need a cup to get his # retired?
yes.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:45 AM
  #10
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !
 
One Less Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 24,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Ultimately, if the team doesn't win the Cup with Price, a jersey retirement will be the justification and validate the reason why they gave the most lucrative contract in Habs history to him. It will confirm that he was a special talent. The Habs brass will manage to twist it as the lone bright spot of our drought, ''we didn't see a Cup but we had the privilege to see a special talent like Price!''. You're not a Price fan but saying he's miles behind Roy is a huge hyperbole.
No way it's a huge hyperbole.

At the same age Roy had 2 Conn Smythe, 2 cup wins, 3 vezina, 4 jennings, 1 cup final.

Even if you take out team accomplishments by saying those habs teams were so much better than this one, Roy was the main guy behind those cup wins. Any other goaltender than Roy from 86 to 93 and I don't think we win a single cup. And if they don't win cups, then those teams aren't remembered as great at all.

In all of his years with the habs, what has Price done I ask you ? One great season ? That's it. I'm sorry but as Price's career stands... it's simply not worth a jersey retirement.

And this thread is further proof of how overrated Price is, and continues to be. What's funny to me is that in 10 years, Price has exactly 4 playoffs series wins. FOUR! And we're talking about jersey retirement ? Perhaps if we were some garbage expansion team.. but even then... that's setting an abysmally low standard. With Montreal's history? That would be unthinkable.

And the contract won't change that because by the time it would even be possible to retire his jersey, MB will be long gone. There won't be a "save face" incentive to it. Either Price will have truly achieved greatness like his fans think he can, or he won't, and there will be zero support for a jersey retirement once we see the end results.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:53 AM
  #11
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Louise View Post
No way it's a huge hyperbole.

At the same age Roy had 2 Conn Smythe, 2 cup wins, 3 vezina, 4 jennings, 1 cup final.

Even if you take out team accomplishments by saying those habs teams were so much better than this one, Roy was the main guy behind those cup wins. Any other goaltender than Roy from 86 to 93 and I don't think we win a single cup. And if they don't win cups, then those teams aren't remembered as great at all.

In all of his years with the habs, what has Price done I ask you ? One great season ? That's it. I'm sorry but as Price's career stands... it's simply not worth a jersey retirement.

And this thread is further proof of how overrated Price is, and continues to be. What's funny to me is that in 10 years, Price has exactly 4 playoffs series wins. FOUR! And we're talking about jersey retirement ? Perhaps if we were some garbage expansion team.. but even then... that's setting an abysmally low standard. With Montreal's history? That would be unthinkable.

And the contract won't change that because by the time it would even be possible to retire his jersey, MB will be long gone. There won't be a "save face" incentive to it. Either Price will have truly achieved greatness like his fans think he can, or he won't, and there will be zero support for a jersey retirement once we see the end results.
It's not because MB will be long gone that it means that Molson still won't be at the helm. I know all about Roy's accolades, the league was also different in numerous ways back then. Fact is, Price's 2014-15 season had historic implications and it's got to count for something. I guess for the anti-jersey retirement people if no Cup, if Koivu gets his retired or honored at least, it will make Price's situation a sure thing.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:01 AM
  #12
ottawa
Avatar of the Year*
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,851
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
It's not because MB will be long gone that it means that Molson still won't be at the helm. I know all about Roy's accolades, the league was also different in numerous ways back then. Fact is, Price's 2014-15 season had historic implications and it's got to count for something.
The league was different because Roy went up against the greats in their prime. Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Mogilny, Roenick, Modano, Bure, Federov, Lindstrom, Hull...shall I go on?

Roy is far and away better than Price, the trophies and competition prove that. The game today is so focused on defense that it benefits goalies, back then it was just based on offense.

__________________
Your sarcasm isn't funny, it's cringe worthy.
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v191/SpiderManNL/24cups.gif
ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:07 AM
  #13
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !
 
One Less Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 24,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
It's not because MB will be long gone that it means that Molson still won't be at the helm. I know all about Roy's accolades, the league was also different in numerous ways back then. Fact is, Price's 2014-15 season had historic implications and it's got to count for something. I guess for the anti-jersey retirement people if no Cup, if Koivu gets his retired or honored at least, it will make Price's situation a sure thing.
How did Price's 14-15 have historic implications ? Genuine question. He was not the first to do it in the NHL or with the habs. Theodore also won hart+vezina. Lafleur won Pearson+hart. I fail to see the historical implications.

Koivu's number will not be retired. But yes, if you set the bar that low with Koivu then I agree no reason not to retire Price's jersey then I guess. Which would, in my opinion, devalue the retirement of all other jerseys and be a gigantic travesty. I don't think that the habs greats will stand for that. Molson respects the former habs greats. As long as guys like Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, Dryden, Roy and Gainey draw breath, I strongly doubt Koivu's number is retired. If you retire Koivu's number then you should also retire Lemaire, Carbonneau, Markov... and I dunno about all of that.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:11 AM
  #14
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
The league was different because Roy went up against the greats in their prime. Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Mogilny, Roenick, Modano, Bure, Federov, Lindstrom, Hull...shall I go on?

Roy is far and away better than Price, the trophies and competition prove that. The game today is so focused on defense that it benefits goalies, back then it was just based on offense.
I don't necessarily disagree with your point but let's not pretend the league back then didn't have coaches like Burns or Lemaire that focused heavily on playing defensive hockey... Sure the league had exceptional talents (and it's still the case today, I can easily counter those names with Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Ovechkin, Hossa, Stamkos, Tavares, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Benn, Kopitar, Kane, Toews, Keith, Letang, Karlsson, Burns, Weber, shall I go on?) but let's not pretend the teams Roy played on were ****. Those teams were a lot deeper than the rosters we've iced in front of Price.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:21 AM
  #15
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Louise View Post
How did Price's 14-15 have historic implications ? Genuine question. He was not the first to do it in the NHL or with the habs. Theodore also won hart+vezina. Lafleur won Pearson+hart. I fail to see the historical implications.

Koivu's number will not be retired. But yes, if you set the bar that low with Koivu then I agree no reason not to retire Price's jersey then I guess. Which would, in my opinion, devalue the retirement of all other jerseys and be a gigantic travesty. I don't think that the habs greats will stand for that. Molson respects the former habs greats. As long as guys like Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, Dryden, Roy and Gainey draw breath, I strongly doubt Koivu's number is retired. If you retire Koivu's number then you should also retire Lemaire, Carbonneau, Markov... and I dunno about all of that.
I might have jumped the boat on that one, after looking a bit more on the web, I remembered Price being fairly high when you adjust his stats to the era, etc but it doesn't seem to be the case, my bad on that one. My original point was that his 2014-15 season ranked very high (top 3-5) in terms of greatest season for a goalie ever.

Not to entirely derail the thread, but I presume you'd have no problem with honoring his jersey like the Leafs have done?

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:24 AM
  #16
ottawa
Avatar of the Year*
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,851
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with your point but let's not pretend the league back then didn't have coaches like Burns or Lemaire that focused heavily on playing defensive hockey... Sure the league had exceptional talents (and it's still the case today, I can easily counter those names with Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Ovechkin, Hossa, Stamkos, Tavares, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Benn, Kopitar, Kane, Toews, Keith, Letang, Karlsson, Burns, Weber, shall I go on?) but let's not pretend the teams Roy played on were ****. Those teams were a lot deeper than the rosters we've iced in front of Price.
That's what I'm saying, most of the name I mentioned can't be countered with today's NHLers.

I named you arguably all top 50 players of all time (and I left out do many other greats, the quality of completion Roy went up against was insane). Price's era has Crosby and Ovechkin. I'll even throw in McDavid even though he's the next generation of kids.

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:28 AM
  #17
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !
 
One Less Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 24,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I might have jumped the boat on that one, after looking a bit more on the web, I remembered Price being fairly high when you adjust his stats to the era, etc but it doesn't seem to be the case, my bad on that one. My original point was that his 2014-15 season ranked very high (top 3-5) in terms of greatest season for a goalie ever.

Not to entirely derail the thread, but I presume you'd have no problem with honoring his jersey like the Leafs have done?
I will be honest, I'm not familiar with the process of honoring a jersey. What is the difference between honoring and retiring ? Have we honored any jersey (but not retired) ? What is the criteria difference where you get honored but not retired ?

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:33 AM
  #18
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
That's what I'm saying, most of the name I mentioned can't be countered with today's NHLers.

I named you arguably all top 50 players of all time (and I left out do many other greats, the quality of completion Roy went up against was insane). Price's era has Crosby and Ovechkin. I'll even throw in McDavid even though he's the next generation of kids.
I fail to see how the likes of Modano, Mogilny, Roenick, Forsberg are not on par with guys like Stamkos, Benn, Kopitar and Getzlaf or Tavares. Yeah names like Lemieux and Gretzky are in a league of their own but the second tier guys are not years ahead of the current crop of stars the league has.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:33 AM
  #19
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Louise View Post
How did Price's 14-15 have historic implications ? Genuine question. He was not the first to do it in the NHL or with the habs. Theodore also won hart+vezina. Lafleur won Pearson+hart. I fail to see the historical implications.

Koivu's number will not be retired. But yes, if you set the bar that low with Koivu then I agree no reason not to retire Price's jersey then I guess. Which would, in my opinion, devalue the retirement of all other jerseys and be a gigantic travesty. I don't think that the habs greats will stand for that. Molson respects the former habs greats. As long as guys like Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, Dryden, Roy and Gainey draw breath, I strongly doubt Koivu's number is retired. If you retire Koivu's number then you should also retire Lemaire, Carbonneau, Markov... and I dunno about all of that.
Jacques Lemaire was greatly superior to Saku Koivu. And won 8 cups.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:34 AM
  #20
Toene
"Che" Weber
 
Toene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
HHOF. Thats it.

Toene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:34 AM
  #21
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !
 
One Less Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 24,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Jacques Lemaire was greatly superior to Saku Koivu. And won 8 cups.
That's my point. Lemaire's jersey is not retired so I don't think Koivu's jersey should be retired either. But if a lesser player in Koivu has his jersey retired, then Lemaire should be as well for sure.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:34 AM
  #22
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Louise View Post
I will be honest, I'm not familiar with the process of honoring a jersey. What is the difference between honoring and retiring ? Have we honored any jersey (but not retired) ? What is the criteria difference where you get honored but not retired ?
It's essentially the same thing as retiring a jersey except they don't actually retire it. They just have the same type of ceremony. Some people hate it since it's half committing to such a simple concept.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:36 AM
  #23
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,338
vCash: 500
My guess:

HOF
Jersey retired
No Stanley cup here

My opinion on that would've been different a couple of years ago. I really felt like this club was going to get to the next level. Unfortunately we've gone backwards.

__________________
- 40,000 & counting...
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:37 AM
  #24
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toene View Post
HHOF. Thats it.
Not to open a different can of worms but I don't get the argument of yes for HHOF but no for the jersey. Are the Habs really of higher prestige than the HHOF? Is the big difference Price's international resume that has to be taken into account versus strictly relying on NHL accomplishments?

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:39 AM
  #25
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Not to open a different can of worms but I don't get the argument of yes for HHOF but no for the jersey. Are the Habs really of higher prestige than the HHOF? Is the big difference Price's international resume that has to be taken into account versus strictly relying on NHL accomplishments?
Lots of HOFers haven't had their jersey's retired.

I think Price will get there because I expect elite numbers from him over the next 5+ years. Just a shame that we haven't added to the roster to be able to actually win.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.