HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs in 86...93 and 06

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2006, 06:11 PM
terreur

vCash: 50
Habs in 86...93 and 06

Hey, i'm only 19 years old so i don't really remember any of our cups. But from what i've heard, our teams in 86 ans 93 weren't great teams but they were all hard working guys. I really like the changes Gainey did to the team: murray, downey, simpsons and with the emergence of Higgins. We have a good first line. Our second line could be good if we can get them to work. And huet is juste awesome. So how would you copmpare our 06 team with the two others? do we have comparable teams, or were our teams better in those years?

Old
04-01-2006, 06:28 PM
ShuttFan

vCash: 500
'89 was our best team to make it to the final in the past two decades, so go figure. The hot goalie is always the key, and right now, we've got a hot one. When everyone shows up, we've also got as complete a team today as we had in 86, 89, or 93. We do NOT have the team from the 70's, so I wouldn't go talking dynasty just yet.

Old
04-01-2006, 08:55 PM
mclusky*

This is "yikes" talk

Old
04-01-2006, 09:31 PM
larue*

Well I remember them both fairly well. I was 20 when Montreal won in 86. I tried to follow most of their run but I also has some other interests at the time .
Some big names in that run to the cup were, Skrudland, Roy of course, Bobby Smith and that big goal from Claude Lemieux, game seven o/t against the Whalers. As for 93 well that was a special year as my first born popped out the next day after Montreal beat LA. Big names there were Leclair, Roy of course, Kirk Muller who should of never been traded away from the Habs. Oh and I named my boy after Kirk. And for this year if the Habs get in we could make some noise with veterans like Kovy, Saku, and Souray, along with rookies Higgins and Pleks.

Old
04-01-2006, 10:30 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue
Well I remember them both fairly well. I was 20 when Montreal won in 86. I tried to follow most of their run but I also has some other interests at the time .
Some big names in that run to the cup were, Skrudland, Roy of course, Bobby Smith and that big goal from Claude Lemieux, game seven o/t against the Whalers. As for 93 well that was a special year as my first born popped out the next day after Montreal beat LA. Big names there were Leclair, Roy of course, Kirk Muller who should of never been traded away from the Habs. Oh and I named my boy after Kirk. And for this year if the Habs get in we could make some noise with veterans like Kovy, Saku, and Souray, along with rookies Higgins and Pleks.
I remember and I agree.

Also, both '86 and '93 teams had a bunch of rookies adding new blood and blending well with the experienced players.
In addition, those teams were not expected to go very deep into the playoffs.
They played in a somewhat less "pressured" environment and every round they won was like a bonus.

The similarities are striking.
One can only hope...

Old
04-01-2006, 10:51 PM
NBHABSFAN

Regardless of what happens this playoff run, the future is bright fellas, the future is bright. I was only 10 when they won in 93, so winning now would be such a great experience.

Old
04-01-2006, 11:30 PM
habsforlife

would be a good time to win the cup.

my television is now 13 years old. i could get a new one, a couple of cd's and this time im getting a brand new car! lol

we had roy in those so its really hard to compare. but we can always hope and pray and with a little help from the ghosts, who knows. one thing ive learned is get to the playoffs and anything can happen.

the key will be that kovalev plays at his bests, saku just beeing saku, huet still hot and an emergence of a lemieux type. i could see higgins beeing the lemieux version of this year.

like i said just get to the playoffs, cheer and believe!

Old
04-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsforlife
the key will be that kovalev plays at his bests, saku just beeing saku, huet still hot and an emergence of a lemieux type. i could see higgins beeing the lemieux version of this year.

like i said just get to the playoffs, cheer and believe!
before anyone jumps on him, he means Claude Lemieux. A very clutch playoff performer. Don't want anyone thinking you mean Super Mario. :p

Old
04-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Guy Caballero

Let's not go nuts here. The 93 team was contending for first overall most of the season and faltered near the end. They were legit, despite Leafs fans' pipe dreams that theirs were the team of destiny that year.

The 06 team would be a Cinderalla team at best. Realistically, I don't think they could pull it off.

Old
04-02-2006, 01:09 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
The 93 team was contending for first overall most of the season.

Depending of what you call "most of the season" (until mid-November ?), 2006 Habs might qualify.

I'm not on the Cup bandwagon yet. I'll be if they can make it to the Conference finals.

Old
04-02-2006, 11:51 AM
habsforlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
before anyone jumps on him, he means Claude Lemieux. A very clutch playoff performer. Don't want anyone thinking you mean Super Mario. :p
lol well thanks for telling for me.

its true that someone would have made a case about this.

people gets crazy sometimes

Old
04-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Darz

When talking about the '86 and '93 habs the one thing you have to remember is they could play good team defense, had great goaltending, but they could also score goals. The '86 team might of been the most potent offnse the habs have had since '79-'80. The '93 team also didn't have a hard time putting pucks in the net.

The '86 team was 6th in the league in goals scored, and 4th in least goals allowed. Any team with a top 6 offense and a top 4 defense should never be consaidered a surprise to win the cup.

The '93 team was also in the top 10 in the league as far as offense and defence goes. Outside of their late season collapse (which when you consider, I mean they were a lock to make the playoffs and such, who cares about the late season woes) this team was one of the best all around team in the league.

I don't think the '06 habs are in the same category as the '86 or '93 teams, but with that being said, all it takes to make a great playoff run, is for a team to get hot at the right time. I have faith!!!!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

04-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Mike Lalor

86' was a very solid team led by Gainey and Robinson. Some would argue these two guys were the coaches and Perron was just the figure head. I could believe this when looking at the post-playing careers of both compared to Perrons coaching career after that year.
86' also produced some of the greatest players in the history of the NHL : ROY AND CHELIOS. As for C. Lemieux, he could also be considered one the best money players ever.
Naslund had a career year with over 100 points and at least 20 points in the playoffs.
Bobby Smith was a true bonafide 1st line center.
Rookie Kjell Dahlin had over 30 goals (albeit most of them in the first 40 games)
Ludwig and Green were two of best 'stay-at-home' defencemen in the league who would severly punish anyone who tried to go to the net. And no one could forget Mike Lalor, who came out of nowhere to become a very solid defenceman as well.
Add in grinders like, McPhee, Skrudland, Walter, Nilan. What we end up with is a team set-up for playoff hockey.

Old
04-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
I think the habs won something like 10 or 11 in overtime during the`93 playoffs. Jacques Demers was climbing the stairs of Oratoire St-Joseph on his knees...

Old
04-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Mike Lalor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter
I think the habs won something like 10 or 11 in overtime during the`93 playoffs. Jacques Demers was climbing the stairs of Oratoire St-Joseph on his knees...

He still does it once a week!

93' were no slouches either: Muller, Damphouse, Leclair, Desjardins, Bellows, Schneider, Carbo, Keane, Odelein & Roy to name a few.

Closed Thread