HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Origins of Olé Olé Olé?

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2006, 08:40 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Origins of Olé Olé Olé?

I was talking about this with a Bruins fan...

I know the Olé Olé Olé chant is originally from euro football...

But does anyone know how it made its way into the Bell Center and into the hearts and minds of Hab fans everywhere?

Old
04-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Alot of europeans in montreal.

Old
04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
There is an older version but the timing and song is different .

Old
04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
digitalmonkey*

It was smuggled over with Petr Svoboda many years ago.

Old
04-01-2006, 08:43 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Alot of europeans in montreal.

That what I figure...throw a bunch of liquored up soccer fans in a hockey game and you'll never know what will happen

Old
04-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I sometimes wish the Canadiens fan at the Bell Centre were more creative with that song, and incorporated something new in it. In Europe, the crowd doesn't sing the Bouncing Souls "Ole!" but incorporate elements of their team in it. For instance, Juventus supporters chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Juve Juve." I would love to see Canadiens fans at BC chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Huet Huet" and make it a tradition, rather that have to sing along with the standard pop song.

Old
04-01-2006, 08:50 PM
joepaco

I 've been to concerts where at the end , when requesting a '' encore '' the croud chanted the Olé Olé thing.

So my guess is it's not only Habs fans, but Montrealers or Quebecois who have adopted the chant.

I don't recall hearing it elsewhere.

For the record...the bands realy seemed to appreciate that chant. The unison of all the fans chanting together is more powerfull the any random cheering.

I sometimes wish it were a habit in North-America to chant in sporting events like in Europe. I saw a Hockey game in Davos Switzerland and let me tell you ...the are intense with their drums and all .

Old
04-01-2006, 08:51 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco
I 've been to concerts where at the end , when requesting a '' encore '' the croud chanted the Olé Olé thing.
So my guess is it's not only Habs fans, but Montrealers or Quebecois who have adopted the chant.

I don't recall hearing it elsewhere.

For the record...the bands realy seemed to appreciate that chant. The unison of all the fans chanting together is more powerfull the any random cheering.

I sometimes wish it were a habit in North-America to chant in sporting events like in Europe.

Its like that at the Université de Moncton...at concerts, parties, pub crawls...you name it, we chant the Olés over there

Old
04-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I sometimes wish the Canadiens fan at the Bell Centre were more creative with that song, and incorporated something new in it. In Europe, the crowd doesn't sing the Bouncing Souls "Ole!" but incorporate elements of their team in it. For instance, Juventus supporters chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Juve Juve." I would love to see Canadiens fans at BC chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Huet Huet" and make it a tradition, rather that have to sing along with the standard pop song.
I hope to god that the NHL doesn't see some of the european chants. I'm a Man Utd fan and the chants they have are just BRUTAL.

Old
04-01-2006, 08:54 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
I was talking about this with a Bruins fan...

I know the Olé Olé Olé chant is originally from euro football...

But does anyone know how it made its way into the Bell Center and into the hearts and minds of Hab fans everywhere?
Wasn't it after France won World Cup ?

Old
04-01-2006, 08:55 PM
DicAnns

it must have Irish roots IMO...

Old
04-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
I hope to god that the NHL doesn't see some of the european chants. I'm a Man Utd fan and the chants they have are just BRUTAL.
What?!? Personally, I find the chants, the songs, etc.. really liven up the atmosphere and give the event a more distinct feel. All the people I've asked who have been to a game in Europe are blown away by the atmosphere at the grounds. I wish North American stadias were like that.

Old
04-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
What?!? Personally, I find the chants, the songs, etc.. really liven up the atmosphere and give the event a more distinct feel. All the people I've asked who have been to a game in Europe are blown away by the atmosphere at the grounds. I wish North American stadias were like that.
I know what you mean, it's just that some of the chants (at least for Man Utd) are ridiculously horrible. You're 100% right about the atmosphere though (though I haven't been to a game, it's quite obvious just by watching on TV). I wish we could come up with chants for our team, but how does 1 single person get something going like that? Makes you wonder. Same thing about getting a wave started, I still don't know how that works.

Old
04-01-2006, 09:09 PM
HabsFan

wat is the name of that song that they play at the bell center its alot different than the soccer song

Old
04-01-2006, 09:12 PM
znk

Also quebec is somewhat more Europeen then any other place in North America. Our link with france is a good reason why.

Old
04-01-2006, 09:19 PM
joepaco

Quote:
but how does 1 single person get something going like that? Makes you wonder. Same thing about getting a wave started, I still don't know how that works.
that's were the probleme is , most teams have a standing section of the stadium where all the harcore fans go

Old
04-01-2006, 09:21 PM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Quote:
I couldnt agree with you more even though im a Milanisti through and through.

Old
04-01-2006, 09:27 PM
usernam

we should sing the famous YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE song...liverpool fc supporters chant this during their games and believe it is something!! it looks somtheing like:

YouuuUUUUUUUUUUU'll Neeeeeeeeeeever waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalk Alooooone.....

Old
04-01-2006, 09:30 PM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moho316
we should sing the famous YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE song...liverpool fc supporters chant this during their games and believe it is something!! it looks somtheing like:

YouuuUUUUUUUUUUU'll Neeeeeeeeeeever waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalk Alooooone.....
Never.

We should sing something like "forza Canadiens! Canadiens campione!

Old
04-01-2006, 09:37 PM
joepaco

what about the good old '' Go Habs Go '' ???

surly that one is not to complicated ??? if only there wern't so many fake Hockey fans at the Bell Center

Old
04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
DicAnns

Origins of this chant is apparently a 1984 song recorded by Belgian singer Jules Vanobbergen who went under the nickname Lange Jojo (Tall Jojo, Grand Jojo).
Title of the song is Anderlecht Champion (Anderlecht being a Belgian soccer club).
The song is copyrighted by Belgian label HKM.

Maybe the chant existed before that, but this is apparently the first official recording and copyrighted material.

Old
04-01-2006, 09:40 PM
les3couleurs

Quote:
I would love to see Canadiens fans at BC chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Huet Huet" and make it a tradition, rather that have to sing along with the standard pop song.
I've actually thought about this one too. It should really be used, it is such a natural.

Old
04-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco

I always laugh when that happens. And then I join in, of course.

Old
04-01-2006, 10:39 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Im a Man U fan too! Bunch of chokers though...

Old
04-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Im a Man U fan too! Bunch of chokers though...
Bah...at least they're doing better than Arsenal :O

Edit: In the EPL that is

Closed Thread