HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Origins of Olé Olé Olé?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2006, 08:40 PM
  #1
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Origins of Olé Olé Olé?

I was talking about this with a Bruins fan...

I know the Olé Olé Olé chant is originally from euro football...

But does anyone know how it made its way into the Bell Center and into the hearts and minds of Hab fans everywhere?

 
Old
04-01-2006, 08:40 PM
  #2
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Alot of europeans in montreal.

Shabutie is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
  #3
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,548
vCash: 700
There is an older version but the timing and song is different .

Team_Spirit is online now  
Old
04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
  #4
digitalmonkey*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
It was smuggled over with Petr Svoboda many years ago.

digitalmonkey* is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 08:43 PM
  #5
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Alot of europeans in montreal.

That what I figure...throw a bunch of liquored up soccer fans in a hockey game and you'll never know what will happen

 
Old
04-01-2006, 08:47 PM
  #6
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,189
vCash: 500
I sometimes wish the Canadiens fan at the Bell Centre were more creative with that song, and incorporated something new in it. In Europe, the crowd doesn't sing the Bouncing Souls "Ole!" but incorporate elements of their team in it. For instance, Juventus supporters chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Juve Juve." I would love to see Canadiens fans at BC chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Huet Huet" and make it a tradition, rather that have to sing along with the standard pop song.

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 08:50 PM
  #7
joepaco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
I 've been to concerts where at the end , when requesting a '' encore '' the croud chanted the Olé Olé thing.

So my guess is it's not only Habs fans, but Montrealers or Quebecois who have adopted the chant.

I don't recall hearing it elsewhere.

For the record...the bands realy seemed to appreciate that chant. The unison of all the fans chanting together is more powerfull the any random cheering.

I sometimes wish it were a habit in North-America to chant in sporting events like in Europe. I saw a Hockey game in Davos Switzerland and let me tell you ...the are intense with their drums and all .

joepaco is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 08:51 PM
  #8
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco
I 've been to concerts where at the end , when requesting a '' encore '' the croud chanted the Olé Olé thing.
So my guess is it's not only Habs fans, but Montrealers or Quebecois who have adopted the chant.

I don't recall hearing it elsewhere.

For the record...the bands realy seemed to appreciate that chant. The unison of all the fans chanting together is more powerfull the any random cheering.

I sometimes wish it were a habit in North-America to chant in sporting events like in Europe.

Its like that at the Université de Moncton...at concerts, parties, pub crawls...you name it, we chant the Olés over there

 
Old
04-01-2006, 08:54 PM
  #9
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I sometimes wish the Canadiens fan at the Bell Centre were more creative with that song, and incorporated something new in it. In Europe, the crowd doesn't sing the Bouncing Souls "Ole!" but incorporate elements of their team in it. For instance, Juventus supporters chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Juve Juve." I would love to see Canadiens fans at BC chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Huet Huet" and make it a tradition, rather that have to sing along with the standard pop song.
I hope to god that the NHL doesn't see some of the european chants. I'm a Man Utd fan and the chants they have are just BRUTAL.

Shabutie is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 08:54 PM
  #10
LeHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
I was talking about this with a Bruins fan...

I know the Olé Olé Olé chant is originally from euro football...

But does anyone know how it made its way into the Bell Center and into the hearts and minds of Hab fans everywhere?
Wasn't it after France won World Cup ?

LeHab is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 08:55 PM
  #11
DicAnns
Registered User
 
DicAnns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
it must have Irish roots IMO...

DicAnns is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 08:59 PM
  #12
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I hope to god that the NHL doesn't see some of the european chants. I'm a Man Utd fan and the chants they have are just BRUTAL.
What?!? Personally, I find the chants, the songs, etc.. really liven up the atmosphere and give the event a more distinct feel. All the people I've asked who have been to a game in Europe are blown away by the atmosphere at the grounds. I wish North American stadias were like that.

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:06 PM
  #13
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
What?!? Personally, I find the chants, the songs, etc.. really liven up the atmosphere and give the event a more distinct feel. All the people I've asked who have been to a game in Europe are blown away by the atmosphere at the grounds. I wish North American stadias were like that.
I know what you mean, it's just that some of the chants (at least for Man Utd) are ridiculously horrible. You're 100% right about the atmosphere though (though I haven't been to a game, it's quite obvious just by watching on TV). I wish we could come up with chants for our team, but how does 1 single person get something going like that? Makes you wonder. Same thing about getting a wave started, I still don't know how that works.

Shabutie is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:09 PM
  #14
HabsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
wat is the name of that song that they play at the bell center its alot different than the soccer song

HabsFan is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:12 PM
  #15
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Also quebec is somewhat more Europeen then any other place in North America. Our link with france is a good reason why.

znk is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:19 PM
  #16
joepaco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
but how does 1 single person get something going like that? Makes you wonder. Same thing about getting a wave started, I still don't know how that works.
that's were the probleme is , most teams have a standing section of the stadium where all the harcore fans go

joepaco is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:21 PM
  #17
High flyin' Habs*
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 2,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I sometimes wish the Canadiens fan at the Bell Centre were more creative with that song, and incorporated something new in it. In Europe, the crowd doesn't sing the Bouncing Souls "Ole!" but incorporate elements of their team in it. For instance, Juventus supporters chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Juve Juve." I would love to see Canadiens fans at BC chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Huet Huet" and make it a tradition, rather that have to sing along with the standard pop song.
I couldnt agree with you more even though im a Milanisti through and through.

High flyin' Habs* is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:27 PM
  #18
usernam
Registered User
 
usernam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,263
vCash: 500
we should sing the famous YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE song...liverpool fc supporters chant this during their games and believe it is something!! it looks somtheing like:

YouuuUUUUUUUUUUU'll Neeeeeeeeeeever waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalk Alooooone.....

usernam is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:30 PM
  #19
High flyin' Habs*
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 2,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moho316
we should sing the famous YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE song...liverpool fc supporters chant this during their games and believe it is something!! it looks somtheing like:

YouuuUUUUUUUUUUU'll Neeeeeeeeeeever waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalk Alooooone.....
Never.

We should sing something like "forza Canadiens! Canadiens campione!

High flyin' Habs* is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:37 PM
  #20
joepaco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
what about the good old '' Go Habs Go '' ???

surly that one is not to complicated ??? if only there wern't so many fake Hockey fans at the Bell Center

joepaco is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
  #21
DicAnns
Registered User
 
DicAnns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Origins of this chant is apparently a 1984 song recorded by Belgian singer Jules Vanobbergen who went under the nickname Lange Jojo (Tall Jojo, Grand Jojo).
Title of the song is Anderlecht Champion (Anderlecht being a Belgian soccer club).
The song is copyrighted by Belgian label HKM.

Maybe the chant existed before that, but this is apparently the first official recording and copyrighted material.

DicAnns is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 09:40 PM
  #22
les3couleurs
Registered User
 
les3couleurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I would love to see Canadiens fans at BC chant "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Huet Huet" and make it a tradition, rather that have to sing along with the standard pop song.
I've actually thought about this one too. It should really be used, it is such a natural.

les3couleurs is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 10:33 PM
  #23
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,595
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco
I 've been to concerts where at the end , when requesting a '' encore '' the croud chanted the Olé Olé thing.

So my guess is it's not only Habs fans, but Montrealers or Quebecois who have adopted the chant.
I always laugh when that happens. And then I join in, of course.

Le Tricolore is online now  
Old
04-01-2006, 10:39 PM
  #24
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I hope to god that the NHL doesn't see some of the european chants. I'm a Man Utd fan and the chants they have are just BRUTAL.
Im a Man U fan too! Bunch of chokers though...

jcpenny is offline  
Old
04-01-2006, 10:48 PM
  #25
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Im a Man U fan too! Bunch of chokers though...
Bah...at least they're doing better than Arsenal :O

Edit: In the EPL that is

Shabutie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.