HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congrats to Garth Murray

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Could have sworn I was the only one vehemently against the Murray-Hossa trade when it happened but anyway......I always had Hollweg pegged over Murray but still I thought it was a total waste of a resource/asset to dump Murray and in the process bring in a mistake like Hossa (based on my previous viewings of him)...Hossa has been even worse then I expected..Not only does he have no clue how to use his physical gifts, has panic attacks when he gets the puck, is woefully inconsistent, and just does not play or skate hard or smart enough way too often, but his production or lack there of is miniscule and of a player that should be spending time in the ECHL...

People say he does other things well becase he has one or maybe two shifts on a given night where he does some good grinding and Cycling...BFD..Nowhere close to making up for his poor defensive coverage, lack of prioduction, lack of hockey sense, and generall lack of effort...

Murray, OTOH, yoo know what you get..COnstant banging, grinding, hitting amd toughness, with the odd goal or two thrown in...but this team can desperately use thsoe type of ugly goals...

Old
04-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Fletch

I was right there...

with you Larry. Wasn't too excited bringing in a guy like Hossa. In hindsight, while Hossa hasn't worked out, in the grand scheme of things, I over-reacted. I actually thought Murray had a bit more upside than Hollweg. He still may, but it's tough to say considering how he's played in his few seasons as a pro. Thought he was a bigger player, better fighter, and as good, if not better checker, with more offensive upside. The latter really hasn't translated into anything, except for his recent two goals, but we'll see where that takes him.

Old
04-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
with you Larry. Wasn't too excited bringing in a guy like Hossa. In hindsight, while Hossa hasn't worked out, in the grand scheme of things, I over-reacted. I actually thought Murray had a bit more upside than Hollweg. He still may, but it's tough to say considering how he's played in his few seasons as a pro. Thought he was a bigger player, better fighter, and as good, if not better checker, with more offensive upside. The latter really hasn't translated into anything, except for his recent two goals, but we'll see where that takes him.
Fletch, yeah, I think you were too, but I caught most of the flak! ....But I gotta agree that, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal..I just did not like the pick-up one iota becaus i thought Hossa was the type of player i despised most...and I've also been known to over-reat once or twice...Just a little raod bump on a great year..

Old
04-03-2006, 12:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Fletch, yeah, I think you were too, but I caught most of the flak! ....But I gotta agree that, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal..I just did not like the pick-up one iota becaus i thought Hossa was the type of player i despised most...and I've also been known to over-reat once or twice...Just a little raod bump on a great year..
Haha, once or twice... a week, Larry!?

J/K

Old
04-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Fletch

I do agree...

but considering what the Rangers would likely get for Murray in a trade, which was considerably very little, the chance was to find that 24 year old who needed a change of scenery and who can turn into that 20-30 goal, 30-40 assist guy that is somewhat lacking in the organization's depth. Not my style either, but looking back, assuming you'd expect very little in return, it doesn't look so bad.

Old
04-03-2006, 12:44 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thought you took ALL the flak.

You came down very hard on the trade in a very entertaining way (as if possessed).

Many of the new members just didn't understand your style.

As a certified member of the Larry Melnyk FAN Club, I appreciate that you never let it get personal. No agenda, just your opinion.

Old
04-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Haha, once or twice... a week, Larry!?

J/K
Aw, c'mon, I'm getting a little better this year..And I think there's more then a few people that have wrestled the Exagerrating Over-reacting crown away...or maybe I just want to think that..

Old
04-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Thought you took ALL the flak.

You came down very hard on the trade in a very entertaining way (as if possessed).

Many of the new members just didn't understand your style.

As a certified member of the Larry Melnyk FAN Club, I appreciate that you never let it get personal. No agenda, just your opinion.
Thanks for the kind words my man..ANd back at ya....Yeah, I do exaggerate a tad now and then, but it's all in fun..Well, most of the times..But damn, if this team being better doesn't make it harder..

Old
04-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Fletch

Actually, Larry...

you've mellowed out a good deal. Heck, I remember you being all over the Hossa/Murray thread, but if I remember correctly, you lost strength at one point and the anger was pointed at me. Haven't seen a real Melnyk post in some time. This board really needs some life.

Old
04-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
you've mellowed out a good deal. Heck, I remember you being all over the Hossa/Murray thread, but if I remember correctly, you lost strength at one point and the anger was pointed at me. Haven't seen a real Melnyk post in some time. This board really needs some life.

There is just so little wrong with the team and I like the way they're building..Yeah, I'll rail against hossa and OZO (God, I hate his defense) now and then, think we should have gotten a physical d-man instead, and the Orr stuff is pretty fun until it gets out of hand but there ain't much to scream at any more.....Man, I miss the good old days of crappy hockey and clueless mangement...Just the thought of Blowzo the Clown brings a tear to my eye......

Old
04-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
There is just so little wrong with the team and I like the way they're building..Yeah, I'll rail against hossa and OZO (God, I hate his defense) now and then, think we should have gotten a physical d-man instead, and the Orr stuff is pretty fun until it gets out of hand but there ain't much to scream at any more.....Man, I miss the good old days of crappy hockey and clueless mangement...Just the thought of Blowzo the Clown brings a tear to my eye......
Old Blousy himself

Last edited by Bluenote13: 07-09-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old
04-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Habstract0

Odd but Murray will play with Kovalev tomorrow on the second line. I thought the guy had zero offensive upside. Did he display an offensive game with the Rangers? At least he's got good speed for a big guy.

Old
04-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Fletch

IN his 15 games...

he had a couple where he generated a lot of shots, but one goal. He was an OK scorer at Regina, but it never developed at any other level. He has the hands, speed, desire, etc., but perhaps not the nose.

Old
04-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Artyukhin*

not one complaint towards murray at all. nothing but hard work, and more hard work from that guy . just doesnt quit forecheck/backcheck goes into the corners / fights/ very sound defensivly/drives hard to the net hits pretty much everything and does his job effectivly ,nothing you guys already dont know ......

very pleased with his over all game ......

nothing was handed to him right after the trade he was sent to the ahl and he has played his way out of the ahl onto the 4th line now recently on the 3 rd line and tommrow he is going to start on the 2nd line with kovelev. sounds crazy but the guy sure has earned it.

his 5 goals in 28 games isnt to bad all things considered
will be intresting to see just how the trade all works out in the next couple years.

good luck guys lets hope we meet up in the playoffs would be a good entertaining series

Closed Thread