HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dawes and Jonasen

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 07:43 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Dawes and Jonasen

While the season is still early, through the first 15+ games for the majority of the league in the WHL these 2 guys are in the top 10 in goals.

It's early, I know. But it's still somewhat encouraging

Old
10-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
some people on this very board are wondering why jonasen isnt playing in the ahl? maybe you can help out with this. anyway two pretty nice picks by sather and the scouts

Old
10-28-2003, 07:51 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
While the season is still early, through the first 15+ games for the majority of the league in the WHL these 2 guys are in the top 10 in goals.

It's early, I know. But it's still somewhat encouraging
Encouraging indeed. Hopefully they'll keep it up throughout the season, till then they are still unknowns in my eyes.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:55 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
some people on this very board are wondering why jonasen isnt playing in the ahl? maybe you can help out with this. anyway two pretty nice picks by sather and the scouts

It may have to do with his age.

He's listed on the Tri-State page as 19 years old. so that may have something to do with it.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

He's listed on the Tri-State page as 19 years old. so that may have something to do with it.
thank you

Old
10-28-2003, 08:00 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:

I believe European players are able to play in the AHL at 19. Wasn't Tjutin supposed to last year till Sather screwed up the transaction with his Russian club?

Old
10-28-2003, 08:17 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
The rule that a player must be 20 only applies to players drafted out of Canadian Junior leagues. The full rule is that a player drafted out of the CHL (which includes the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL) cannot play in the AHL unless he is at least 20 years old or has played 4 seasons in the CHL (Spezza was allowed to play in the AHL at 19 last year since he was in the CHL at 15). Jonasen, being drafted out of Europe, could have been signed to a pro contract and sent to Hartford if management decided that's what they wanted to do. They decided to let him get his feet wet in North America in Juniors instead.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:19 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
The rule that a player must be 20 only applies to players drafted out of Canadian Junior leagues. The full rule is that a player drafted out of the CHL (which includes the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL) cannot play in the AHL unless he is at least 20 years old or has played 4 seasons in the CHL (Spezza was allowed to play in the AHL at 19 last year since he was in the CHL at 15). Jonasen, being drafted out of Europe, could have been signed to a pro contract and sent to Hartford if management decided that's what they wanted to do. They decided to let him get his feet wet in North America in Juniors instead.
do you think the rangers did the right thing by not signing him and assigning him to hartford

Old
10-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Fletch

Unless the player's some advanced superstar...

there's no need to rush him to the AHL, especially if he's never played in North America before. We'd all love to see guys in the AHL if possible, just so we can be closer to the 'action', but it's not always the best thing.

And did Sather really screw things up with Tjutin last season? Wasn't there an outrageous payment needed to be made, somewhere in the magnitude of $500,000? I dunno know if that's a precedent you want to have.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Jonasen wasn't playing in the SEL, he's probably not ready to play in the AHL this year. The fact that he was so willing to come over and play in Juniors suggests that he didn't have much of a chance on moving up to the SEL this season either.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:43 AM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Jonasen wasn't playing in the SEL, he's probably not ready to play in the AHL this year. The fact that he was so willing to come over and play in Juniors suggests that he didn't have much of a chance on moving up to the SEL this season either.

I'm glad Jonasen went to the WHL. If he ends up scoring 40 goals for a mediocre team that would be nice progress. Let him go to Hartford next year as a 20 year old.

I would be very happy to see Jonasen and Jessiman on the Wolfpack in the next few years

Old
10-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Edge

Jonasen still needs to work on his foot speed and his reactions to plays at this point.

He has the talent but he is a project and is going to need some time.

I personally think he'd have been outmatched in the AHL this season from what i've seen from him thus far this year.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:13 AM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Jonasen still needs to work on his foot speed and his reactions to plays at this point.

I personally think he'd have been outmatched in the AHL this season from what i've seen from him thus far this year.
Edge, have you seen all of the WHL Ranger prospects this season? What is the report on the others?

Even though he is no longer Ranger property, is there any word on Hollweg after his first few games back?

Old
10-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
the fact that he is willing to come over might also suggest that he wants to learn how to play the north american game.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
Edge, have you seen all of the WHL Ranger prospects this season? What is the report on the others?

Even though he is no longer Ranger property, is there any word on Hollweg after his first few games back?
From the reports I read, while Hollweg was given clearance to begin to play again, he needed a great deal of practice time to get back up to speed. I got the impression that he hadn't been working out big time during his recovery. Let's give him a little time to get back into the swing of things.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
the fact that he is willing to come over might also suggest that he wants to learn how to play the north american game.
Gee, do you get that impression too? I was only suggesting that given where he's been playing in Sweden he wasn't yet ready to play in the AHL.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Edge

Quote:

I haven't seen all of them yet but i likely will. i am gonna be on the west side of North America in both the US and Canada till likely late November/early December.

As for some others:

Dawes is a shift forward who isn't so much fast as he is slippery. He is a tiny player out there but plays with a certain tenacity that you like to see if a player is undersized. he shows up every shift. his main drawback is strenth at this time, he needs to get physically stronger and i'd like to see him force the play a little less.

Baranka has looked steady though not overwhelming thus far. He reminds me a lot of Lampman in the sense that he is just a solid stay at home defenseman who wont catch your eye. I think he has a slightly higher offensive upside though.

havent seen dornic yet.

joey crabb has looked solid the one game i saw him for colorado. he has a good first step but slows down a bit in traffic.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Gee, do you get that impression too? I was only suggesting that given where he's been playing in Sweden he wasn't yet ready to play in the AHL.
just took what you said the wrong way bro. i took your original post as a negative againts jonasen. my bad

Old
10-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Fletch

Not that it matters...

but I think when referring to Ms. Brooklyn Ranger, bro may not be very appropriate. I did get a kick out of seeing that though.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:02 AM
E-Train

Edge- great info, thanks for the update

Brooklyn- Hollweg was cleared to play and has 3 points in 3 games with Medicine Hat. Amazing comeback from where he was this time last year

Old
10-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Edge- great info, thanks for the update

Brooklyn- Hollweg was cleared to play and has 3 points in 3 games with Medicine Hat. Amazing comeback from where he was this time last year
Excellent--from the reports I read, it sounded like he needed practice time. Hopefully, he will continue his recovery throughout the season.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but I think when referring to Ms. Brooklyn Ranger, bro may not be very appropriate. I did get a kick out of seeing that though.
i had no idea. brooklyn please forgive me

Old
10-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Just a note on another prospect - Dylan Reese scored a goal & had an assist in Harvards first game of the year. Hardly a contest, they beat up on Guelph College 8-0. Still, he is an offensive D-man, and supposedly he looked sharp, and played both ends of the ice pretty well.

Old
10-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
From the reports I read, while Hollweg was given clearance to begin to play again, he needed a great deal of practice time to get back up to speed. I got the impression that he hadn't been working out big time during his recovery. Let's give him a little time to get back into the swing of things.
With Hollweg's type of injury, I don't know if he was allowed to work out much, if at all.

Old
10-28-2003, 01:16 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

Is he a guy that'll need 2 or 3 years on the farm or will he be able to make some sort sooner?

Closed Thread