Notices

Most lop-sided trade ever???

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 04:03 AM
prdbsfan

vCash: 500
Most lop-sided trade ever???

In the history of hockey what is your oppinion of the most unfair trade ever? My mind keeps coming back to Barry P for Cam (this was a risky trade at the time), but I know there are much, much worse, little help here.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:09 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdbsfan
In the history of hockey what is your oppinion of the most unfair trade ever? My mind keeps coming back to Barry P for Cam (this was a risky trade at the time), but I know there are much, much worse, little help here.
How about the Blackhawks in 1967 sending Espo, Hodge and Stanfield to the Bruins for Pit Martin, Jack Morris and Gilles Marotte?

Old
10-29-2003, 04:31 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Hmmmm. Maybe Espo-Vadinais for Park-Ratelle....or Wesley for Samsonov-Aitken-McLaren (Jillson), or Hodge for Middleton.....

Bertuzzi-McCabe for Linden? Jokinen-Luongo for Parrish-Kvasha? Rechhi for LeClair-Desjardins.....

Old
10-29-2003, 04:43 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
If you count resultant actions (like draft picks), the Glen Wesley trade is BY FAR the most lopsided trade in NHL history.

Close second would have to be everything the Nordiques got from the Flyers for Lil' Baby Lindros.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:44 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
How about the Blackhawks in 1967 sending Espo, Hodge and Stanfield to the Bruins for Pit Martin, Jack Morris and Gilles Marotte?
That one is widely recognized (at least in a Hockey Digest article I read about 10 years ago on the most lopsided trades in history) as the No. 1 in NHL history.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:52 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers

this gets my vote too..

as great as Bobby was..the greatest ever... the team didn't become the team until this happened.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-29-2003, 05:17 AM
scotiahockey

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by prdbsfan
wasnt the cam trade pederson for neely AND a 1st round draft pick, that we eventually used to pick wesley?

so then over time it becomes barry pederson for cam neely, sergie samsonov, jeff jillson, and jon aitken...

poor barry...

Old
10-29-2003, 05:48 AM
Jeff from Maine

I Dont Think You Can Reasonably Do That!

All of these exponential trades...so and so traded for so and so who were traded for so and so and eventually came to us from...

I am sure that we could find many,many more if we chose to look at every trade that has been consumated.

I look at these things as what moves were made to make that team a better team...not what made a team 3 generations removed better.

I say that because Neely, Sammy and Jillson never played together...so I dont think its a fair assessment. But thats just me probably.

As far as most lopsided, I`d have to agree on the Hawks-Bruins deal.

The Flyer-Nordique deal that brought Forsberg to Quebec/Colorado may have been the most BENEFICIAL to one team.

That deal essentially created the Nord/Av "dynasty".

Later

Old
10-29-2003, 05:56 AM
jordo77

Kings #1 pick (Ray Bourque) for Ron Grahame

Old
10-29-2003, 07:46 AM
Mizral

The 'ol Espo trade was huge. I have read about it in a book I have around here about Don Cherry's life. It's still regarded as one of the best trades in Bruins history, if not the best.

However, most lopsided trade... Neely was definetly up there. I do not agree with putting the Lindros trade up there for a couple of reasons. #1, if not for concussions, the Flyers got the best player. Some may argue Forsberg is the best, and there is a good arguement there, but Lindros in his heyday was THE most dominant player in hockey outside of Hasek. And even if you like Forsberg a lot, you can at least say the Flyers got a HELL of a player in that deal anyways. So while it was clealy an Avs win, I don't think it is one of the most lopsided ever.

However, I feel the most lopsided trade ever involves my Canucks. And that is..

Markus Naslund for Alex Stojanov.

Is it the best trade ever? No. Does it involve the best players ever? Heck no. But for sheer one-sidedness, I can't think of anything better.

Right now, they are the following:

Markus Naslund - 100 point getter, probobly will score 50 goals in a season one of these years and get that out of the way, Lester B. Pearson award winner, etc..

Alex Stojanov - A volounteer firefighter

I mean.. wow!

Wow.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:35 PM
RI.B FAN

One most fans dont mention but was big is an aging Ken Hodge with just 10 goals left in him for Rick Middleton as he was about to break out!!

Old
10-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Lowetide

The Esposito trade. Hodge was a terrific winger, size and skill, and Stanfield also emerged as a very useful player.

But we could make a list of player's traded and come up with very few with the impact of Phil Esposito. I've said it before, I'll say it again, Esposito's 76 goals in 70-71 were no less impressive in terms of value and impact than Gretzky's big year.

Esposito scored 20 the year the Hawks traded him, but did nothing in the playoffs. The Hawks had Mikita for the top (Scooter) line, and felt a need for more of a two way center for Bobby Hull on the other big line. Bill Hay retired, Esposito didn't fit the mold.

Jesus Murphy, no wonder. Most lopsided trade ever.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:00 PM
mattkaz

Some for all sports that come to mind... a couple hockey ones

Blackhawks send Dominik Hasek to the Sabres for Stéphane Beauregard and a fourth-round draft pick

White Sox trade Sammy Sosa to the Cubs for George Bell

Nordiques trade Eric Lindros to Flyers for Peter Forsberg, Chris Simon Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, and Jocelyn Thibault

Colts trade John Elway to Broncos for Randy McMillon

Hornets trade Kobe Bryant to Lakers for Vlade Divac

Orioles send Pete Harnisch, Curt Schilling and Steve Finley to the Astros
for Glenn Davis

L.A. sends Pedro Martinez to Montreal for Delino DeShields

Colts trade Marshall Faulk to Rams for 2nd and 5th round draft picks

Red Sox trade Jeff Bagwell to Houston for Larry Anderson

Falcons send Favre to Packers for Draft pick

Canucks trade Cam Neely to the Bruins for Barry Pederson

Sonics trade Scottie Pippen to the Bulls for Olden Polynice

A's trade Mark McGwire to the Cardinals for T.J. Matthews, Blake Stein, and Eric Ludwick.

Red Sox trade Heathcliff Slocumb to Seattle for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe

Old
10-29-2003, 05:16 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Dang, you guys are good!!! Hasek, Naslund, Middleton, Espo are excellent examples.

Three of the ones I think are at the top involve the Bruins: Bourque, Neely and Dryden. Unfortunately for the B's, Ken Dryden ended up being a Hall of Fame goalie who stonewalled the Bruins several times in their heydey. But nobody ever would have thought the first rounder from the Kings would have meant the Bruins drafted one of the best defensemen ever. Unfreeekingbalievable.

Getting Cam Neely AND a #1 pick for the declining Barry Pederson was masterful trade that not only deserves to go down in the history books, but also should be noted for how it helped save this franchise. Both of those guys stepped in, played key roles and helped the B's reach the finals. Furthermore, as others have noted, Welsey was parlayed into three first rounders, which continued to provide the Bruins with talent at a time when the rosters were thinning. A while ago there was an article on the HF Bruins site about the legacy of this trade...it was called "The Trades That Keep On Giving."

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=1081

It wasn't completely lopsided, but another good trade for the B's was Janny & Quintal for Oates. Don't forget that at the time...it was the Bruins who were willing to pay Oates his big salary the Blues were balking at. (Remember this when you think I believe management is cheap or that they never receive any credit :moon: )

Good stuff.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
I'll make a controversial suggestion here but the Bourque/Andreychuk for Rolston/Grenier/Pahlsson/1st deal clearly has to go down as one of the most lopsided ever.

Yes... Colorado did go on to win a cup with Borque but that was THE NEXT YEAR. Bourque was an impending UFA when we dealt him who told us he had no intention of staying and wanted to go to a team with a chance to win.

Given that we were already out of the playoffs... The Bruin's interests were best served finishing as low as possible to better. our drafting position.

Andreychuk was an UFA at the end of the season too. We could have brought him back for nothing if we wanted... in fact we could have brought both Bourque and Andreychuk back in which case the trade would have been Rolston and package for Colorado agreeing to take payroll from the team that we didn't want anyhow at a time we wanted to lose games.

Call the deal lopsided because Colorado made the deal with an eye for the playoffs and then went out and got elliminated right off the bat. Sure they then stepped up and resigned Bourque but they could have had him for free if they waited.

Colorado got nothing that they bargained for and gave up Rolston and a first rounder and a third liner for their troubles. We got a guy who has now given us 3-4 very servicable years as our top penalty killer and a major part of our powerplay for two guys who were going to walk at the end of a season we were already out of the playoffs in.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:32 PM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkaz
L.A. sends Pedro Martinez to Montreal for Delino DeShields

But, damn, Delino was my favorite player on that team! :mad:

Old
10-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
I am going to take a second to comment on the Lindros trade here too as I think it's way too fashionable to take swings at the big E.

People say that they wouldn't go back and even take Forsberg for Lindros straight up.

In their careers leading up to this season Forsberg hasmanaged to get into 541 games and has 198 goals 488 assists for 686 points. Great numbers but not as good as Lindros

639 games 346 goals 439 assists 785 points 1225 pims

Forsberg is the better playmaker but common convention in the NHL always favors the finisher as the more valuable offensive weapon especially when that finisher created his own scoring chances.

Lindros now seems near the end of the line... his injury problems make him a shadow of his former self. But the trade was 10 years ago and for the last 10 years Lindros was every bit as valuable to his team as Forsberg was to his.

One could argue that Forsberg had more playoff sucess but I don't think Lindros failures are on his own shoulders. He did have 24 goals and 57 points in his 50 games of playoff action up till 2001 [sorry dont have handy stats at my fingertips for last two seasons.]

It takes more than one player to take a team to success in the playoffs. One could argue the Colorado trade put them over the top... or that it denied Philly from reaching the pinnicle. But how do we know that Lindros wouldn't have taken Colorado to three cup wins? Or maybe Forsberg would have been in a freak car crash had he stayed in Philly?

Both teams got exactly what they were best hoping for in this deal. Colorado added a ton of depth and cash which helped their move to the new city and sped up the building process when they were able to go after a guy like Roy later.

Philly got the guy who was widely considered one of the top 3-4 marquee guys in the game throughout the rest of the decade.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:12 PM
misterjaggers

This isn't hockey obviously, but George Herman Ruth from the Red Sox to the Yankees for $100,000 used to underwrite a Broadway show:
http://www.boston.com/globe/specialr...r/125/1920.htm

Old
10-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Mizral

A couple others that I thought of:

The first Wayne Gretzky trade, when he was moved to LA. Obviously it was a money move, but even with a money move, the Oilers got boned. What was in that one? Roman Oksuita or something? Terrible. Wayne went on to continue to dominant for the Kings for a couple years.

Pavol Demitra for Christopher Ollouson (please excuse me if I got his name wrong). Essentially, Demitra from the Sens for nothing.

Finally, my favorite:

Kris Draper from the Jets to the Wings for.. $1 dollar. No joke. I'm not sure if the dollar was Canadian or American, but this actually happened. And while Draper is surely no All-Star... he's obviously way more valubable than that!!

Old
10-30-2003, 08:03 AM
Jeff from Maine

I Could Be Wrong

I am probably wrong, but...

Didnt the Gretzky deal involve Bernie Nicholls and Marty Gelinas going to Edmonton for Gretz and McSorely?

Others may have been involved as well. But I thought that was part of it.

Later

Old
10-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
not Nichols but Carson...

Old
10-30-2003, 08:15 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
not Nichols but Carson...
Jimmy Kryziapoulos!

(His grandfather changed the family name to Carson when he emigrated from Greece...)

I remember when Carson was on the trade block from Edmonton (he was coming off a 99-point season and had hit 55 goals the year before) and the B's were rumored to be in the mix. I wanted that trade to happen so badly, but the Wings ponied up more in the way of young players- Joe Murphy and Adam Graves whereas the B's were probably just willing to go with Bobby Joyce or Craig Janney, but not both. (That's speculation on my part)

Looking back on it- getting Carson would've been a disaster. He's one guy whose game went south very quickly- and I never really figured that one out. Like Bergeron, he was the youngest player in the league in 1986-87, and scored 39 goals. At 19, he netted over 50 goals and 100 points in L.A.'s last year with the purple and gold uni's, and was the centerpiece of the Gretzky return to Edmonton.

Even his first year as an Oiler was a productive one, but he was miserable there and asked out. The hometown Wings got him and the rest is history. He ended up being a bust, while Murphy and Graves helped Edmonton win their fifth and final Cup as 2/3rds of the "Kid Line" with Martin Gelinas.

Good stuff!

Old
10-30-2003, 10:35 PM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkaz
Blackhawks send Dominik Hasek to the Sabres for Stéphane Beauregard and a fourth-round draft pick
It was a bit more complicated than this: see this (1) and this (2). Basically the Sabres traded Christian Ruuttu for (then unproven) Dominik Hasek. Beauregard was first traded by the Jets to Sabres for Ruuttu, then by the Sabres to the Blackhawks for Hasek and then by the Blackhawks back to the Jets for Ruuttu. The Jets did this because would've lost him in the expansion draft.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:15 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The Esposito trade. Hodge was a terrific winger, size and skill, and Stanfield also emerged as a very useful player.

But we could make a list of player's traded and come up with very few with the impact of Phil Esposito. I've said it before, I'll say it again, Esposito's 76 goals in 70-71 were no less impressive in terms of value and impact than Gretzky's big year.

Esposito scored 20 the year the Hawks traded him, but did nothing in the playoffs. The Hawks had Mikita for the top (Scooter) line, and felt a need for more of a two way center for Bobby Hull on the other big line. Bill Hay retired, Esposito didn't fit the mold.

Jesus Murphy, no wonder. Most lopsided trade ever.
Hodge was indeed a terrific winger. It's too bad that his number #8 is not retired like Espo.

Closed Thread